Macklemore admits to white privilege and says he needs to know his place in Hip-Hop

Options
jono
jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
Macklemore sat down for wide-ranging hour-long interview with New York radio station Hot 97 Monday morning.

The Grammy winning 1/2 of the duo Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, opened up in his interview about race in America, the backlash from his chart-topping hit “Thrift Shop,” and white privilege.

“You need to know your place in the culture,” says the rapper. “This is not my culture to begin with. As much as I have honed my craft, I do believe that I need to know my place”

“White people can turn off the TV when we’re sick of talking about race. White, liberal people want to be nice. We don’t want to be racist. We want to be, “Oh we’re post-racial. We don’t want to talk about white privilege and it’s all good, right?” It’s not the case,” Macklemore said. “We have to get past that awkward stage of the race conversation. As a white person, we have to listen.”

He continued discussing how white privilege has played a major determining factor in his success in the music industry.

“Why am I safe? Why can I cuss on a record, have a parental advisory sticker on the cover of my album, yet parents are still like, ‘You’re the only rap I let my kids listen to.'”…If I was black, what would my drug addiction look like? It would be twisted into something else versus maybe, “Get back on your feet!” The privilege that exists in the music industry is just a greater symptom of the privilege that exists in America. There’s no difference…I got put in that “hero” box and I think that when that happens, it’s because of white privilege.”

http://thegrio.com/2014/12/30/macklemore-white-privilege/

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    somebody got in his ear.

that what he needs to do...stay in his place
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its a good interview, he handled himself well. Igglo should be humble and at least acknowledge the reason why she's successful.
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Honestly if I was white id say ? all that. I dont think macklemore is just using the culture. I think he genuinely loves this ? .
  • sr_the_freshman
    sr_the_freshman Members Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I peeped this ? this morning. I'm glad he stepped up to the plate and said what needed to be said, and I'm even more glad it was him who said it, because it wouldn't have been as powerful coming from anyone else. Not even Em. Macklemore is their golden child.

You can tell he's worn out from real ? blowing his ? up with hate scud missiles. I'm glad he's taken a brake from caping for the ? community, to help the culture that's made him rich.

The white ? always got it, but this particularly statement was eloquent. Hopefully it doesn't fall on deaf ears.
  • jono
    Options
    I wonder how other white rappers will internalize the statement.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    He is garbage as ? . But at least he knows his place in hip hop. Too bad you can't convince the ? .
  • $ineedmoney$
    $ineedmoney$ Members Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Macklemore has always said stuff like this. He isn't blind to His privilege and he's spoke about it before in song so my issue with him was never this. He still is corny as ? though as a rapper. That's my main problem with him

...Oh his music is definitely corny b...Lets not let that go unnoticed...

• gemini86
    gemini86 Members Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this ? is stupid to me. call me a ? but why is it ok to act like that. we do alot of ? that other cultures started and no one says anything. why do we have to act like that with rap music. if all cultures acted like that then there would be no room to grow in anything
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    ppl tweet these sentiments to Iggy every single day...

she basically ignores them and continues her mockery of hip hop
  • afro thunder
    afro thunder Members Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I respect Macklemore.
  • jono
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    ppl tweet these sentiments to Iggy every single day...

she basically ignores them and continues her mockery of hip hop

Her life would be easier if she listened.
  • 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Good for the white dude, pandering to his fan base
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm not surprised

This is a dude who has a lyric that goes "White guilt, white privilege at the same damn time"

He's pretty far left
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gemini86 wrote: »
    this ? is stupid to me. call me a ? but why is it ok to act like that. we do alot of ? that other cultures started and no one says anything. why do we have to act like that with rap music. if all cultures acted like that then there would be no room to grow in anything

Well there's a history of whites basically taking whole genres of music away from Blacks that's why

It's not that simple

They didn't take Rock or Jazz away, they just flooded it
    there was no reason for them to be abandoned by the Black community though
    the only reason I can see is disdain for Whites
  • jono
    Options
    Trashboat wrote: »
    gemini86 wrote: »

Well there's a history of whites basically taking whole genres of music away from Blacks that's why

It's not that simple

They didn't take Rock or Jazz away, they just flooded it
    there was no reason for them to be abandoned by the Black community though
    the only reason I can see is disdain for Whites

Flooding is just as well. When you have white folks being labeled "the King of Jazz" and "the King of Rock N Roll" pretty much means they have claimed ownership.