Lord Jamar Says It Would Be Racist For Iggy Azalea To Win The 'Best Rap Album' Grammy...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
The 57th Annual Grammy Awards will be held on February 8,2015, at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California.

The category a lot of hip hop fans have their eyes on is Best Rap Album, where the nominees are:

The New Classic, Iggy Azalea
Because the Internet, Childish Gambino
Nobody's Smiling, Common
The Marshall Mathers LP2, Eminem
Oxymoron, ScHoolboy Q
Blacc Hollywood, Wiz Khalifa

Outspoken rapper Lord Jamar doesn't believe there will be any suspense because Iggy Azalea will win.

"She probably will win that. And that's racist within itself," Jamar told VladTV. "For you to give somebody the Best Rap Album strictly because they're white and they sold more than certain black people in white America. In a country that's majority white people, that's racist. That's what racism is. To use your power to stack the deck with laws, with cultural ideologies, all of that."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kL9X7dDyXE

Comments

• sr_the_freshman
    sr_the_freshman Members Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Everyone who considers themselves Hip-Hop need to just boycott the ? Grammy's this year.

? bending over and taking it two years in a row, B.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    I think wiz might get it
  • afro thunder
    afro thunder Members Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She will win it and we shouldn't act surprised about it either. If she doesn't then Em will win it.

I'd would like the homie Gambino to win it, didn't even know he was nominated since I don't pay attention to the grammys.
  • harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Iggy's gonna win and like they did last year, they ain't gonna televise it.
  • Intelligent_Hoodlum
    Intelligent_Hoodlum Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Common album the only one of that list i ? wit
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If it doesn't go to Run the Jewels or J Cole the grammy's ain't ? ... for the trillionth year in a row
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Grammys are wack regardless. It would be a good look for them to give it to common though, it would mean they have some sense.
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options

You know what's even more interesting though? Iggy has low-lowkey been trying to distance her self from the whole Hip-Hop label. Ya'll peep this ? 's tweet in response to Q-Tip? She's basically trying to say that her music is no longer Hip-Hop, but is instead it's own lane simply influenced by Hip-Hop.

I really hope people are smarter than that though. If that broad successfully convinces white America that she is doing something "different"......smmfh.

• sr_the_freshman
    Options
    nex gin wrote: »

You know what's even more interesting though? Iggy has low-lowkey been trying to distance her self from the whole Hip-Hop label. Ya'll peep this ? 's tweet in response to Q-Tip? She's basically trying to say that her music is no longer Hip-Hop, but is instead it's own lane simply influenced by Hip-Hop.

I really hope people are smarter than that though. If that broad successfully convinces white America that she is doing something "different"......smmfh.

Dog, we've put waaay to much blind faith in white America before, to think that they won't.

Truth be told, if the ? really feels what she tweeted about was true, then she shouldn't have even accepted her ? nomination, let alone the inevitable reward she's about to receive.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's giving the Grammys too much credit. They pull this because it's going to get people to pay attention who weren't going to tune in before. It creates controversy and discussion. Even if people say it's racist, unjust, or that Iggy's unworthy, the focus isn't even Iggy. It's them trolling. They are still trolling people into watching and talking about an awards show that's really a pat on the back from the industry to the artists. It says that "your peers feel like your work was the best music in it's respective category".

• Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I liked Nobody's Smiling, but Vince Staples and Lil Herb bodied Common on his own ?
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I haven't watched or cared about the Grammys in years and furthermore, I haven't heard any of the albums that have been nominated.

But still, I think its time for R&B and Hip Hop artists (basically black artists) to boycott the Grammys and demand that their nominations be voided so they can't lose to people like Iggy and Macklemore.

Because if you show up to the Grammys and prepare a speech and Iggy wins, then it literally means that you lost to Iggy. But if you demand that your nomination be voided then you can't/didn't lose to Iggy.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Grammys are wack regardless. It would be a good look for them to give it to common though, it would mean they have some sense.

It would more-so mean they're coppin' pleas in light of all the negative press surrounding Iggy, and white people in general this year.

Had we not have had a highly publicized Eric Garner situation this year, and Hip-Hop fans as a whole systematically rejecting the white ? , they'd have no problem awarding either her or Em.

So peep game. If this ? does indeed win, and actively accepts the award, she will indirectly be painting herself as a ? hypocrite. I'm willing to put money down right now that she will not give a flying ? about the corner she just painted herself in, and will just up and grab that little gold statue like, "? it. A Grammy is a grammy."

And Tip's ? ass will cheese his way on up the stage with her, with not a single ounce of integrity or ? to give.

So basically, it doesn't matter who they award? Should it even matter?

If she's distancing herself from Hip Hop, isn't that good news? I mean, many said she wasn't Hip Hop to begin with and continued discussing her as if she were.

To be honest, Iggy isn't even a factor. The machine is. That's the real enemy here. If Iggy was removed from music and all her music was pulled from the shelves, there'd be another artist placed in her position. There's been a lot of artists that came in the game with gimmicks, weren't authentic, and basically used Hip Hop to position themselves for something else. She isn't the first, won't be the last.

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Basically Iggy is the new Fergie
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I liked Nobody's Smiling, but Vince Staples and Lil Herb bodied Common on his own ?

I wouldn't say that, I feel like he just let the young guns do they thing, you know?
  • gamezpog
    gamezpog Members Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Public Enemy said it best... Why sweat the Grammy's when it really never considered what you did art?
  • Dave2one6
    Dave2one6 Members Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just like Johnny Manziel is going away, i hope the same for this ? . Im not being mean, i hope she still does her thang, i just dont wanna hear about it anymore.

I control my own playlists and what i hear. ive never heard her. only red (read) about her on these here internetsssssssss
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've said it before; I don't understand why black entertainers won't collectively say "? it" and just not attend. I find to difficult to believe that there is a clause in any of these people's contracts saying you must attend x amount of award shows. And even if someone did question them, just reply that you didn't feel well. I'd like to believe there are some black entertainers out there that have just a little of that Muhammad Ali spirit left in them.

Someone needs to speak up to these ? : Either you represent us right or you don't represent us at all. At this point we'd be much happier if they just left the genre alone. Stop lettin white people dictate the direction of our ? . This could be a helluva statement if someone had the moxie to do it.
  • sr_the_freshman
    Options
    jono wrote: »

It would more-so mean they're coppin' pleas in light of all the negative press surrounding Iggy, and white people in general this year.

Had we not have had a highly publicized Eric Garner situation this year, and Hip-Hop fans as a whole systematically rejecting the white ? , they'd have no problem awarding either her or Em.

So peep game. If this ? does indeed win, and actively accepts the award, she will indirectly be painting herself as a ? hypocrite. I'm willing to put money down right now that she will not give a flying ? about the corner she just painted herself in, and will just up and grab that little gold statue like, "? it. A Grammy is a grammy."

And Tip's ? ass will cheese his way on up the stage with her, with not a single ounce of integrity or ? to give.

So basically, it doesn't matter who they award? Should it even matter?

If she's distancing herself from Hip Hop, isn't that good news? I mean, many said she wasn't Hip Hop to begin with and continued discussing her as if she were.

To be honest, Iggy isn't even a factor. The machine is. That's the real enemy here. If Iggy was removed from music and all her music was pulled from the shelves, there'd be another artist placed in her position. There's been a lot of artists that came in the game with gimmicks, weren't authentic, and basically used Hip Hop to position themselves for something else. She isn't the first, won't be the last.

No my ? . It would only be good news if she had made this distinction BEFORE she popped. She can't have it both ways. She's already ? famous for making Hip-Hop (I'm using the term loosely). She's already been nominated for a Hip-Hop grammy, and she hasn't turned down the nomination.

This entire situation is like a parallel to white people who like to say the n-word.

These ? wanna be down when its cool. They wanna be a ? so bad, and exchange the slang when it's convenient, but as soon as the police pull up they are no longer a ? . When they walk into that job interview, they are no longer J-Swizzy. They are John Smith; white skin and all.

Same rules apply here. If she wants to profit off of Hip-Hop, and get nominated for awards in the genre, then all the criticisms she's received (white privilige, doesn't write her own rhymes, wack MC, FAKE ? ) are merited. But as soon as people start pulling her card, she defaults to the wack ass "I'm just an entertainer" excuse.

No machine works without a proper and willing conduit or host. This ? knew exactly what she was doing, and didn't give a ? as long as she got famous in the end. They tried to do the same thing with Macklemore and almost prevailed, but as soon as he realized he wasn't getting the respect in the game he felt he deserved, he went dark and began to reposition himself in the culture. Which brings us to the Hot 97 interview he did this morning, and him coming out to protest for Eric Garner.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so ill keep on the tradition to boycott the Grammys. they can even give the best rap album to TAYLOR SWIFT or DAVID GUETTA. THEY HAVE NO CREDIBILITY FOR YEARS. the hiphop section is not the only one they ? up yearly.