Is Addiction REALLY a "Disease" (MLB Player Josh Hamilton)

Options
S2J
S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in For The Grown & Sexy
Not so mucg by definition, but on a connotation level....

So Josh Hamilton just got out in front of this and addmitted he relapsed. He was open about his "illness" before. The tone of the coverage is sympathetitc almost as if he was involved in an unfortunate accident. (Meanwhile a player like Josh Gordon is villified and is about to miss his 2nd year of play. The hypocracy Its DISGUSTING.)

But back to topic, is addiction a disease, an illness?

Comments

• S2J
    Options
    Imo cancer is an illness. Sickle cell is an illness. You can live your life 100% right and just happen to get cancer. You can just so happen to be born with sickle cell. On the flip, im not gon just wake up and be addicted to coke. And thats even of you born by fiends and ita "in your blood". If you never do it...

S/n Where was this sympathy back with Michael Irvin, Daryl Strawberry were fiends
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    i think there are things that are addictions that are diseases...things that change the chemical composition in the body/brain over a period of time..drugs and alcohol falls here

then are newer things we are being told are addictions (like gambling or sex) that are really just compulsions.
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree @gabi.

@S2J did Daryl Strawberry take the same approach in admitting he had an illness?
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Addiction defines itself and no other state as illness?

Illness is either functional or organic. Either you FEEL ill or you really SUFFER FROM illness.

You are ADDICTED to something internal (your sex pulsion) or external ( druggs),though its safe to say that you are not into the physical aspect of druggs but more on the effects, neuro or ? .
    Thus your life and regiment GRAVITATE AROUND your addictions that may be little or big.
    When your addiction takes over it may lead one to illnesses, organic, neuro or psychologic.

• S2J
    Options
    ^^^True. I just find the connotations funny. Imo addiction is
    Kat wrote: »
    I agree @gabi.

@S2J did Daryl Strawberry take the same approach in admitting he had an illness?

He didnt. But does it matter?

If its truely "a disease" then that wouldnt matter. They wouldnt even entertain a penalty, but they are. Its a sham
  • Kat
    Options
    Yes it does.

Kinda like most corporate policies.

If you admit you have a problem, they have programs in place to help you, and you can even keep your job In alot of cases.

Doesn't work that way if you just fail a random drug screen.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    Options
    i think there are things that are addictions that are diseases...things that change the chemical composition in the body/brain over a period of time..drugs and alcohol falls here

then are newer things we are being told are addictions (like gambling or sex) that are really just compulsions.

Addiction is a STATE that emphasizes that a pulsion or something has an obsessive effect on you...

once you have an addiction it generally lead you to Illnesses.

addictionn is more a SYMPTOM imo

• LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    Options
    Addiction = HAVING LOST CONTROL
  • Jao
    Jao Members Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i feel like if you take something that is known to be addictive and become addicted than it's your own fault.. i have more compassion for people who become alcoholics because it's socially acceptable to drink and most ppl do it, but some people are more genetically predisposed to become alcoholics
  • S2J
    Options
    Yes it does.

If you admit you have a problem, they have programs in place to help you, and you can even keep your job In alot of cases.

I dont know where you work, but if they find out i smoked WEED im gettin fired. Let alone addicted to it, let alone coke. Lol @ the way to beat a ? est is just admit it before. Nah holmes
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He white bruh, what you expect?

Whites turn anything into to a 'disease' if it'll benefit them and their ilk
  • Kat
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    Yes it does.

I dont know where you work, but if they find out i smoked WEED im gettin fired. Let alone addicted to it, let alone coke. Lol @ the way to beat a ? est is just admit it before. Nah holmes

Are you assuming that or have you actually read your company policy?

I've worked for a couple major corporations, one being ExxonMobil, and what I posted is true.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Erm. Depends on your resolve really. If I'm on ? and I' tryna get off, its an addiction. If I'm cryin' about how ? my life is and I can't get off, its a disease.
  • J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Everybody is "addicted" to something. It could be weed, liquor, sex, sweets, social media, etc.....

With that said, when a person is seriously ready to stop an "addiction", they can absolutely do so. It has to start with them wanting to stop.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    Options
    Erm. Depends on your resolve really. If I'm on ? and I' tryna get off, its an addiction. If I'm cryin' about how ? my life is and I can't get off, its a disease.

You re addicted when by example you smoke whether you like it or not. You dont ask yourself ' do i feel like it ' anymore. You rather not eat just to take your last dollars to buy cigarettes.
    You may not be ? , but you will get into ? ? just to get a line of coke. You feel like ? , you wish you didnt do it, BUT YOU CAN HELP IT. You have beem taken over by what was a plain action in the begining...

• S2J
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    Yes it does.

Are you assuming that or have you actually read your company policy?

I've worked for a couple major corporations, one being ExxonMobil, and what I posted is true.

In my field, I can assure you I would not keep my job lol

Sure thats what some companies may say on paper. Just like on paper, admitting to a felony does not preclude you from getting a job

200_s.gif
  • S2J
    Options
    Heeeey, wait minute, Kat you've said before u play with your nose, and now you're saying you're quite familiar w/ drug rehab policy. Share your experience. Help cure the disease.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    Options
    And addiction is tricking your mind in order to survive.

Tried to resonate a smoker by saying ' smoke ? etc'
    Lol she reacted by saying ' does not smoking makes one immortal?!!'

She is a jurist. Inspite of all the logic her studies implies on a daily basis, her addiction is her lawyer, her lobyist that speaks at her place whenever it feels, sense a danger...
  • Kat
    Options
    Playing with a bit a ? doesn't make you an addict.

I know because I know of several employees that were allowed to take leave to go to rehab. It's not uncommon, BUT it does depend on your attitude and how you handle it.
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options

Addiction is a STATE that emphasizes that a pulsion or something has an obsessive effect on you...

a symptom of what?
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J.J._Evans wrote: »
    Everybody is "addicted" to something. It could be weed, liquor, sex, sweets, social media, etc.....

With that said, when a person is seriously ready to stop an "addiction", they can absolutely do so. It has to start with them wanting to stop.

powerful posting
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    Options

a symptom of what?

Of the illness its excess or pinnacle will partially provoke.
  • Mr_Vicodin81G
    Mr_Vicodin81G Members Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Addition is a disease. I have been taken drug and alcohol classes numerous times. They said it is. I have talked 2 numerous shrinks and doctors who specialize in that ? . They say it is. So I think imma believe people who have degrees in that ? over what the IC says. I feel bad 4 Hamilton. Your an addict 4 life. U can slip up at any time. I knew a dude who was sober 20 yrs, had a few drinks and relapsed. Sad ?
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options
    Addiction defines itself and no other state as illness?

Illness is either functional or organic. Either you FEEL ill or you really SUFFER FROM illness.

You are ADDICTED to something internal (your sex pulsion) or external ( druggs),though its safe to say that you are not into the physical aspect of druggs but more on the effects, neuro or ? .
    Thus your life and regiment GRAVITATE AROUND your addictions that may be little or big.
    When your addiction takes over it may lead one to illnesses, organic, neuro or psychologic.

But addicts brains don't work like non addicts. check ct scans. they more than likely have had other compulsions before becoming physically dependent on whatever drug. so the development of addiction is a lot of times genetic.

Not that it can't be helped but it is a mental/personality issue a lot of times.