Is Addiction REALLY a "Disease" (MLB Player Josh Hamilton)

Options

Comments

• LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FLYguy69 wrote: »
    Addition is a disease. I have been taken drug and alcohol classes numerous times. They said it is. I have talked 2 numerous shrinks and doctors who specialize in that ? . They say it is. So I think imma believe people who have degrees in that ? over what the IC says. I feel bad 4 Hamilton. Your an addict 4 life. U can slip up at any time. I knew a dude who was sober 20 yrs, had a few drinks and relapsed. Sad ?

There are divergences of point of view wether its an illness or not. Not all addictions are lethal. Being a work addict has little chance to ? you by example. Hence the divisions.

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Mental illness
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    Options
    Mental illness

Pathologic complex
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    Options
    No matter what just dont fall into any kind of addiction.
    The ending is rarely funny. Escaping is rarely possible but relapsing highly possible.

Plus you may hurt your S/Os andnyour future.

• Bulletproof Wallets
    Bulletproof Wallets Members Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Relapsing is a part of recovery.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Addition is a disease. I have been taken drug and alcohol classes numerous times. They said it is. I have talked 2 numerous shrinks and doctors who specialize in that ? . They say it is. So I think imma believe people who have degrees in that ? over what the IC says. I feel bad 4 Hamilton. Your an addict 4 life. U can slip up at any time. I knew a dude who was sober 20 yrs, had a few drinks and relapsed. Sad ?

Man addiction is addiction. It has its own definition. It, and sex addiction, is not a disease. For example most of us really, really really love fukin women. So what EXACTLY is the burden of proof for a dude to be worse than everybody else and clinically be categorized as having a "disease"?? Its comical.

Its a stretching of the term and invented to coddle New America. And so professionals in the medical field with a lot of degrees can occupy their time and apply what they learn
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @S2J Would you consider kleptomania a disease?
  • Mr_Vicodin81G
    Mr_Vicodin81G Members Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ite you got ur opinion I gots mines
  • Los216
    Los216 Members Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can you be born with an addiction to coke or weed? I don't think you can.
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Los216 wrote: »

What's that mean?

You can be born without diabetes or leukemia, doesn't mean it can't plague you at some point.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    S2J wrote: »

Man addiction is addiction. It has its own definition. It, and sex addiction, is not a disease. For example most of us really, really really love fukin women. So what EXACTLY is the burden of proof for a dude to be worse than everybody else and clinically be categorized as having a "disease"?? Its comical.

Its a stretching of the term and invented to coddle New America. And so professionals in the medical field with a lot of degrees can occupy their time and apply what they learn

The burden of proof is like anything else...you do things out of your character in order to vet that high. You mentioned sex addicts a few times...are you aware that sex addicts for the most part don't even "enjoy " sex the same way normal people do. Its literally a compulsion they cannot control. Put 2 sex addicts together and they will crash and burn out not feel like "I finally found my match". Addiction literally alters your brain chemistry
  • S2J
    Options
    Mental illness

Is he mentally ill because he cant stop? I mran you could argue
    @S2J Would you consider kleptomania a disease?

No.
  • S2J
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

The burden of proof is like anything else...you do things out of your character in order to vet that high. You mentioned sex addicts a few times...are you aware that sex addicts for the most part don't even "enjoy " sex the same way normal people do. Its literally a compulsion they cannot control. Put 2 sex addicts together and they will crash and burn out not feel like "I finally found my match". Addiction literally alters your brain chemistry

Its all bull ? dog. Its all semantics

Its like doctors sayin kids, KIDS, have ADHD. Ya yhink?! Its all bullshyt. There are some legit cases, but society is over-diagnosed and over-medicated

If you pick 20 normal people off the street and take em to a shrink, they'd come up with a diagnosis and title for more than half.
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Its like doctors sayin kids, KIDS, have ADHD. Ya yhink?! Its all bullshyt. There are some legit cases, but society is over-diagnosed and over-medicated

If you pick 20 normal people off the street and take em to a shrink, they'd come up with a diagnosis and title for more than half.

so basically you made this thread to discuss addiction, then ? on everyone else's opinion that don't agree with yours.... makes sense
  • blackrain
    Options

I agree there's an over medication going on right now. That don't mean there aren't legit things wrong with people though. It just means the solution isn't always some pill. So no it's not ? because there people out here living daily struggling to maintain sobriety, or stay away from gambling which has been shown to give the brain the same high as snorting coke, or a sex addict whose brains have also been shown to emulate a reaction similar to being under the influence of a substance. When you have actual evidence that too much of something can actually change the way your brain is supposed to function and/or damage it forever how can you say that's ? ?
  • blackrain
    Options
    Los216 wrote: »

You can be born with a predisposition to be addicted to them if you had a family member who was. There's a reason the children of addicts are more likely to become addicts themselves.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    Options

Do not confuse addiction with OBSESSION.
    In German addiction means SUCHT ( strong need). One can be OBSESSED with having sex, one can be ADDICTED to ? .

One can have a binge drinking obsesssion, one can have an alcholo addiction.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    Options

I agree there's an over medication going on right now. That don't mean there aren't legit things wrong with people though. It just means the solution isn't always some pill. So no it's not ? because there people out here living daily struggling to maintain sobriety, or stay away from gambling which has been shown to give the brain the same high as snorting coke, or a sex addict whose brains have also been shown to emulate a reaction similar to being under the influence of a substance. When you have actual evidence that too much of something can actually change the way your brain is supposed to function and/or damage it forever how can you say that's ? ?

I agree and as a future psychotherapist and sexologist i vowe to not taking the FAST MEDICATION LANE some shrink take in order to have more clients per day.
    Most of mental illnesses and addiction require TIME to be cured. Problem is these guys want to drive luxury cars too...
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Does drug addiction fit the 4 characteristics of the disease model?

(1) a clear biological basis; (2) unique, identifiable signs and symptoms; (3) predictable course and outcome; and (4) the inability to control the disease.

The answer is yes!

Once you've reached a threshold biological changes occur and one's brain begins to operate on a system of reward--hence why addiction is characterized by a compulsion to use despite the consequences. Predisposition plays a part, but environment does as well, considering one has to be introduced to a substance in order to become addicted to it. Drug addiction shares the same medical designation as Alzheimer's and schizophrenia, it's a brain disease. Anyhow, it's both biological and behavioral, it's a product of classical conditioning and more specifically conditioned place preference, and all these attributes have to be treated in order for the affected to recover.

The debate as to whether or not it's a disease is over, the question is how to treat the disease.
  • (Nope)
    Options
    Sex addiction is not currently recognized as a disease.
  • (Nope)
    Options
    Not in the DSM-5 anyway. It's def a disorder, at whatever point it's abnormal behavior, but not yet recognized as a disease.
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think addiction is a disease, I see it more as weakness in ones character somewhat, or a personality trait liek addictive personality. I was someone who battle alcohol at a stage in my life, abused it daily, and for a decade at the least.. but I nevefr saw it as though I had an illness, I was addicted to the buzz I got drinking, and chose to drink every day. But strangely at a time, after years and years, I felt pretty crook when I didn't drink. Was the first thing I thought of, so that regard it become an illness where I felt I couldn't function without it.
  • (Nope)
    Options
    "You don’t need people’s opinions on a fact. You might as well have a poll asking which number is bigger, 5 or 15? Or do owls exist? Or are there hats?”" - John Oliver

• LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    Options
    The danger would be to automaticly medicating all type of addiction.

Addicition is most of the time A WAY OF EXPREESSION, an alert send by the individual.

• Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol white people antics. Saying anything to get out of trouble and/or face consequence. Facing legal action? "Oh I was addicted, its a disease" Murder? "Temporary insanity, I was not myself". Unless you're Tiger Woods, no ? can utter those words without getting the Shaq face.

How dumb can people be to think addiction is an disease? White people excuses dont make it truth