Is Wale On Kendricks Level Lyrically

Options
IAmDopeSmoke
IAmDopeSmoke Members Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in The Reason
Just wanted to see where wale ranks on yalls lyrical list for the new school. I never see him get talked abt much on lyrical ability. But I think his better than j.Cole for sure but what abt Kendrick doe?

Is Wale On Kendricks Level Lyrically 81 votes

yes
33%
gnsyungflashyjoeyfkncrakkdouble0sugerobblr86afro thunderilledoutesco sopranoIceBergTaylorlamontbdcBEAMtexasdaking88JDSTAYWITITKairoFyHunnitBreezy_KilroyStillFaggyAFCashmoneyDuxTrillfatePeezy_Jenkins 27 votes
no
66%
[Deleted User]dwade206sapp08_2001c. skillzS2Jsoul rattlerjonoTrillaaaaaanex ginnillerthekidsr_the_freshmanhueygman82StewmryounggunMoore7sbless the childCJillestni99ainneGlockLesnar 54 votes

Comments

• yungflashy
    yungflashy Members Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yes
    Yeah
    J cole is lyrically better than both Kendrick and wale though so...
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    no
    Is this really even a question?
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Both in my top 5 as far as new school, but Wale aint ? with K.dot.
  • IAmDopeSmoke
    IAmDopeSmoke Members Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yes
    Blacker the berry>>>girls on drugs>>>>no role modelz
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    I'll say it again, in 4-5 years Kendrick Lamar will be undisputed lyrically. He will be in the same ranks as Nas, Eminem, Jay-Z, 3K as far as lyricism goes. What other rapper of this generation (after the 90s) has come out and is as vicious lyrically ?? ? will hate on Kendrick cuz he young and there's still that 90s bias but regardless... you can't deny the man is dope af on the mic.

Wale is subpar lyrically, I dont think ? really sittin on youtube/social media anticipating a Wale bar or "poetry". Not taking away from his talent, but I never seen Wale really get busy on a mic the way Kendrick or a J.COle or Drake do.....

You lost me @ the bold chief.
  • The Month of August
    The Month of August Members Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Options
    no
    Not from what I heard from both anyway...
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yes
    These new school cats apart from song making ability, have done nothing to separate themselves from each other lyrically and flow wise imo.

Yea I seen some fans like one artiste more than the next but all of them can do what the others doing.
  • J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    yes
    Because he whines and ? about so much petty ? , Wale is sometimes overlooked when it comes to lyricism. Regarding the new wave of rappers, I think he's in the group level closely behind Kendrick, J. Cole, & Drake.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's no clear definition for lyrically

Personal definition is jus talking about something that matters

i don't believe a rapper can be more lyrical than the next, you lyrical or you not

They in the same class
  • Ranxx
    Ranxx Members Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • yungflashy
    yungflashy Members Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yes
    R.D. wrote: »
    There's no clear definition for lyrically

Personal definition is jus talking about something that matters

i don't believe a rapper can be more lyrical than the next, you lyrical or you not

They in the same class

Depth/Complexity I guess
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    no
    Every time I try to listen to Wale, I drift off into space like when a ? starts ? about relationship problems. But then when his verse is over, I'm back to listening to the song.

Show me just ONE instance of Wale doing what Kendrick did on Control or Blacker the Berry or The Jig is Up or The Heart Part 3 or It's On Again.
  • MontyM.Max
    MontyM.Max Members Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wale the definition of a ? that try too hard to be nice. I can tell he puts a lot of effort into his ? but most of the time i think the actual bars are subpar so it just makes it worse. He go in when he go in tho. A comparison to Big Sean would be more appropriate IMO.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Every time I try to listen to Wale, I drift off into space like when a ? starts ? about relationship problems. But then when his verse is over, I'm back to listening to the song.

Show me just ONE instance of Wale doing what Kendrick did on Control or Blacker the Berry or The Jig is Up or The Heart Part 3 or It's On Again.

What exactly did Kendrick do ?

That was a vague challenge
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    yes
    gns wrote: »
    These new school cats apart from song making ability, have done nothing to separate themselves from each other lyrically and flow wise imo.

i can agree with this for the most part, a lot of em just dope as hell

krit
    kendrick
    drake
    cole
    wale
    bob
    sean

not a big separation in em lyrically imo but they all have different styles
  • FlightKing
    FlightKing Members Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kendrick is more flow/storytelling/imagery than lyrical, IMO. He don't wow me with lyrics though.

Wale's best attributes are rapping songs through his viewpoint so you can see how he feels (obviously) and thinks. Kendrick steps in and out of himself on songs and in different people and voices. He's more of a show on beats.

Lyricism is different for everybody though. I think Drake is more a lyricist than Kendrick but I like the Jay-Z feel more than the Eminem feel. HOWEVER, I think we can all agree that a Wale vs. Kendrick debate is some ? .

Off principle.

Stop the madness, T/S.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    no
    R.D. wrote: »

What exactly did Kendrick do ?

That was a vague challenge

Completely tearing a song apart, leaving a listener astounded. Creating an undeniable iconic moment in time with energy, flow, lyricism, and content that everyone from the most ardent Hip Hop fan to the most casual listener can agree is amazing.
  • [Trillmatic]
    [Trillmatic] Members Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I put Wale up there with lupe as far as his wordplay, similes, and metaphors go. Kendrick is dope but I don't understand how ? really act like Wale ain't nice. I don't get it. Son can spit his ass off.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    no
    Wake is dope but Kendrick is like a step or two ahead as we speak. He still doesn't have that verse where you like "damn that ? went in" or "yeah wale kilt that ? " he's dope though.

Wale'a strengths are more in his messages than in his lyrics a lot. While Kendrick can do both pretty well.