EXCLUSIVE: Marvel Taps Ava DuVernay To Direct Black Panther

Options
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    excellent choice.

I just hope they keep her and not lose her like they did with the woman who was supposed to do Thor 2.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was hoping they'd get someone who was a little more experienced directing action, since by definition this would have been one of the more nuanced Marvel movies. But this is still a good look. She's really good at subtly and letting scenes develop and not OVERdirecting.

I approve.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Well I hope they do get her some help with the action and I hope she listens to the advice. Past that, good for her. I hope she does well and makes the most of it because if the movie is a hit, this would open more doors for her than Selma ever could.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    excellent choice.

I just hope they keep her and not lose her like they did with the woman who was supposed to do Thor 2.

or the woman that was set to direct Wonder Woman...

none of these females want to be the first to ? up a female superhero movie...

they dont want to add another 25 years to the supergirl curse.

Marvel Studios has a hand in not letting directors have a lot of control which is why the Patty Jenkins left Thor 2 and Joss Whedon left Marvel.
  • mryounggun
    Options
    iron man1 wrote: »
    excellent choice.

Marvel Studios has a hand in not letting directors have a lot of control which is why the Patty Jenkins left Thor 2 and Joss Whedon left Marvel.

Yeah, this is another fear of mine. It's clear that Marvel isn't really letting anyone break free from they paradigm that they've stop for their movies. But they can only keep that up for so long. At some point they're gonna have to let the really VISIONARY directors in.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    excellent choice.

Yeah, this is another fear of mine. It's clear that Marvel isn't really letting anyone break free from they paradigm that they've stop for their movies. But they can only keep that up for so long. At some point they're gonna have to let the really VISIONARY directors in.

I can't blame them. It's their work and they wrote the comics so they don't want to serve to far off from the comics.
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think she'll do a great job but racism will make this the lowest grossing marvel movie
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chea chea chea
  • mryounggun
    Options
    excellent choice.

Do u blame them?!

Yes. Who else is there to blame? Lol.

• mryounggun
    Options
    excellent choice.

I can't blame them. It's their work and they wrote the comics so they don't want to serve to far off from the comics.

That's the problem. The writers and directors aren't trying to stray away from comics at all. Marvels issue is that they made a few movies using a VERY strict paradigm that made them a lot of money and now they don't want to let anyone change it.

If their goal is to get as much money as possible in the short term, then I can't blame them. If their goal is longevity and making great, unique, interesting films, then I can absolutely blame them. I can speak from experience when I say that people's man focus when they begin in Hollywood isn't money. As you go in, money just slowly moves to #1 on the priority list over time.
  • NCswag
    NCswag Members Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No John singletin? Steven Spielberg? This broad directed a mlk movie that shoulda went straight to dvd. They gassing this broad ip. I think that this is the most important black movie since malcolm x and these white folks ain't doing they homework. Thoroughly disappointed. I don't give a ? what color she is. They could get Michael bay if that racist ? could make the story pop.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    excellent choice.

That's the problem. The writers and directors aren't trying to stray away from comics at all. Marvels issue is that they made a few movies using a VERY strict paradigm that made them a lot of money and now they don't want to let anyone change it.

If their goal is to get as much money as possible in the short term, then I can't blame them. If their goal is longevity and making great, unique, interesting films, then I can absolutely blame them. I can speak from experience when I say that people's man focus when they begin in Hollywood isn't money. As you go in, money just slowly moves to #1 on the priority list over time.
    Disney's main priority is money,which is why they purchased Marvel.Nothing can be done about that as money talks.
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think she'll do a great job but racism will make this the lowest grossing marvel movie

I doubt it. It may actually be one of the highest grossing marvel films because there's a lot of white ppl that are also fans of black panther and I guarantee you that the 40% of the American population that are African American will be in line as well. Internationally, it will make money in Europe and Africa.
  • iron man1
    Options
    excellent choice.

Do u blame them?!

Lol just saying we're talking about wishing Ms. Ava well but if she leaves we know why.
  • iron man1
    Options

Actually if you go comment sections about super heroes for years people have been clamoring for for a panther movie. General audiences haven't ignored any marvel movie so far and damn near everyone aside from the hulk has killed it at the box office.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black excellence
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They saying its a rumor
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think so. If you put out a good trailer people will go see it. plus it adds to the overall story. Plus Marvel promotes the hell out of their movies BP will be no different.

People will go see it because theyll want to see the next chapter within the MCU. Blade and Blade II did 130M and 150M respectively and they were rated R. Its no reason why BP cant at least do 500M.
  • NCswag
    NCswag Members Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NCswag wrote: »
    No John singletin? Steven Spielberg? This broad directed a mlk movie that shoulda went straight to dvd. They gassing this broad ip. I think that this is the most important black movie since malcolm x and these white folks ain't doing they homework. Thoroughly disappointed. I don't give a ? what color she is. They could get Michael bay if that racist ? could make the story pop.

shut the ? up

Back your ? up with reasoning. And suck my ? with a cut in the tip too ? .
  • mryounggun
    Options

Actually if you go comment sections about super heroes for years people have been clamoring for for a panther movie. General audiences haven't ignored any marvel movie so far and damn near everyone aside from the hulk has killed it at the box office.

Even the most recent hulk killed the box office. It just wasn't treated kindly by CRITICS. People still came out though.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    excellent choice.

Do u blame them?!

Yes. They chose directors based off their previous work and rep. Shoulda hired a puppet from the jump if they didn't want well known people putting their own style on it.