Straight Outta Compton Movie - Official Thread (8-14)

Options

Comments

• rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I finally saw the movie.. I know that people are asking about other possible rap biopics but I don't know if any can top this.. I mean people are mad about the NWA movie leaving out stuff that has nothing to do with the music.. who else in rap has as interesting a story as NWA? People say a Wu Tang biopic would be good, but who else's story from the Wu would be as interesting as Ol ? ? Luke should get one but I'm not sure it will do that well. I know it would ? in the south but I don't know about in the other areas. People care more about the artists personal lives more so than the music. Straight Outta Compton was so well done that I don't see anybody making a movie close to that.
  • gemini86
    gemini86 Members Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im a new yorker and wu tang is just overrated to me. they had some hits but ODB is annoying, how the ? is he a legend (with all due respect.) the only dope ones were ? ghost and raekwon. RZA shows how corny hee is every day. his acting is terrible too.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    There's so many stories from Deathrow, that a movie, if done right, would be great. But I'd rather see it as a series.
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gemini86 wrote: »
    gemini86 wrote: »
    cant wait to get the DVD. i kinda hate how theres alot of ppl speaking out against the movie now because it became "too cool to like it." all of a sudden people saying the movie is fake and Dre was a super hero, or the movie was corny. Society is really ? up

Wait, people are saying its wack??? I havnt heard that... Ive heard people say there are some inaccuracies but thats about it...

yea i read it here and there over the net. i just think some people are weird. they must be from the south

Strange Ive only heard good things, but like I said even Ive pointed out some inaccuracies but said its too be expected due to it being a movie...

Some things could have easily gotten right. The New Music Festival fight was before "No Vaseline." Pac recording "Hail Mary" during the "All Eyes On Me" days wasn't accurate. Dre already having his verse recorded and laid down for Deep Cover when meeting Snoop, when we all know Snoop wrote Deep Cover and Dre's part. All of that ? is inaccurate as hell but that for one second didn't take away from my enjoyment of the movie. My favorite scene's are the most fictional scenes of the movie. The opening scene, in my opinion, is the best scene of the movie and that was total fiction if you talk about accurate. but you get the idea Easy sold dope. You remember the Battering Rams out here in L.A. Those things are fact but maybe they didn't cross paths like they did in the movie but you get the idea of the times and the character. There was nothing "FAKE" about the movie.

Yeah Ive already pointed out them inaccuracies a page or two back, but its a movie its expected there would be a few inaccuracies, they do things in a movie like you say with the first seen, to get points across... I guess that 'Hail Mary' from Pac is pretty strong and well known so fits the bill...
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    (ob)Scene wrote: »
    But ...onto my favorite part of the film ....NO QUESTION it had to be when they were recording boyz in the hood ....and them goofy ass east coast ? didn't know what the ? how the ? or where the ? to begin ...I mean when them dusty ass east coast ? got they goofy fake LL Cool J looking kangol hat wearing ? tossed the ? up out the studio and checked by them WESTSIDE ? with a bottle of Yak the WHOLE DAMN CROWD OUT HERE WAS LAUGHING AT THEM east coast ? ...LMAOOOOOOO ....now that ? was some of the best cinematography that I've seen in years ..straight riveting ...for that scene alone this movie deserves the academy award ...? sag awards all that ? ...brilliant and ACCURATE on how them east coast ? looked back in the days baby! I LOVED IT!!

WESTSIDE.

I found it more funny that they were talking about some ? wearing Kangol hats while they had heads full of wet, greasy ass jerry curls and just moments prior Yella & Dre was skating around looking like rejects from Prince's Revolution. Lonzo had them tightening up both seconds prior and seconds after like prostitutes being approached by their ? when their money is short. Irony be working like that though.

x2_69ecd20.jpg

DUSTY ASS BUCKTOOTH EAST COAST ? TRYNA BRING THEM JHERI CURLS BACK THO .....I MEAN ..THEY ALWAYS LOVED THAT REALLLL WESTSIDE ? .....THATS WHY YOU WAS AT THE MOVIE TO BEGIN WITH.... LMAOOOOO

BESTSIDE>>>>

i remember when jheri curls was a national thing and ? in every state wore them. never wore that ? though it was weird growing up having friends and classmates wearing that ? . i guess they thought it was cool because it michael jackson wore it.
  • gee757
    gee757 Members Posts: 26,374
    edited October 2015
    Options
    FishNChips wrote: »
    @gee757 this isn't a comedy mate, it's essentially a biopic, for lack of a better word.

Austin powers plz like I said this ? was a comedy I laufed all thru out this fictious biopic....wen I seen pac doing hail Mary i was like wtf is this? But besides 75% of this flick being fake I enjoyed it its a good get high & lauf flick

CMZSrxUWUAE2Swy.jpg
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In real life Suge probably had more dogs and had them attack Dre (and his bodyguards) on his way out.
  • harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    In real life Suge probably had more dogs and had them attack Dre (and his bodyguards) on his way out.

In real life, Dre left without telling anybody, not even the folks he worked the closest with like Sam Sneed. In fact, Dre leaving pretty much the reason why Sam Sneed got beat up. But imagine what would've happened if Dre really did make the announcement like he did in the movie....
  • Tsotsi Cape Town
    Tsotsi Cape Town Members Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In real life, Dre left without telling anybody, not even the folks he worked the closest with like Sam Sneed. In fact, Dre leaving pretty much the reason why Sam Sneed got beat up. But imagine what would've happened if Dre really did make the announcement like he did in the movie....

Suge beat that ass and prolly catch a case LOL
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We hangin out the window, its about to be a Suge night
  • eternal soldier
    eternal soldier Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only movie I could see topping this one if they castes properly is a biopic on 2Pac
  • gee757
    gee757 Members Posts: 26,374
    Options
    Even tho straight outta Compton was full of fairytales.. SOC>notorious
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J.J._Evans wrote: »
    Since this thread was bumped by somebody, here are the numbers as of last week...........
    As of October 22, 2015, Straight Outta Compton has grossed $161.1 million in North America and $38.5 million in other territories for a worldwide total of $199.5 million, against a budget of $28 million.

If Dre put his own money up he may of hit that billion dollar mark now...
  • J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    JERRY HELLER SUES DR. DRE, CUBE AND 'COMPTON' PRODUCERS FOR DEFAMATION

1030-jerry-heller-dr-dre-tmz-4.jpg

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2015/10/30/jerry-heller-sues-dr-dre-cube-straight-outta-compton-defamation/#ixzz3q5Ki2RS4

Jerry Heller is suing everyone connected with "Straight Outta Compton," alleging the movie defamed him ... and he wants $110 MILLION minimum.

Heller has just filed suit against Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, the Estate of Eazy-E, NBC Universal and others, claiming the portrayal of him in the movie was false and damaging.

Heller says he was portrayed as "the bad guy" and "a sleazy manager who took advantage of Eazy-E, Dr. Dre and Ice Cube." And he says there are other lies in the movie, including:

-- He withheld a $75k check from Ice Cube

-- He fraudulently induced Dre and Cube to sign unfavorable contracts

-- He enjoyed lobster brunches while the contracts were being signed

-- He was fired by Eazy-E

He claims he never gave permission to use his likeness and he wants profits from the movie as well because NBC sold tickets off his back. He also claims producers used his book without permission for pivotal scenes, including the one where Suge Knight strong-armed Eazy-E into signing away his rights to Death Row.

And this is funny ... he says producers didn't even bother to give his character a fake name, like "Gary Beller."

You'll recall Heller sat in the front row with his lawyers when the movie premiered.

He's suing for $35 million in compensatory damages and at least $75 mil in punitives ... plus all profits from the flick.
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2015/10/30/jerry-heller-sues-dr-dre-cube-straight-outta-compton-defamation/#ixzz3q5Ki2RS4

Jerry Heller is suing everyone connected with "Straight Outta Compton," alleging the movie defamed him ... and he wants $110 MILLION minimum.

Heller has just filed suit against Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, the Estate of Eazy-E, NBC Universal and others, claiming the portrayal of him in the movie was false and damaging.

Heller says he was portrayed as "the bad guy" and "a sleazy manager who took advantage of Eazy-E, Dr. Dre and Ice Cube." And he says there are other lies in the movie, including:

He claims he never gave permission to use his likeness and he wants profits from the movie as well because NBC sold tickets off his back. He also claims producers used his book without permission for pivotal scenes, including the one where Suge Knight strong-armed Eazy-E into signing away his rights to Death Row.

And this is funny ... he says producers didn't even bother to give his character a fake name, like "Gary Beller."

You'll recall Heller sat in the front row with his lawyers when the movie premiered.

He's suing for $35 million in compensatory damages and at least $75 mil in punitives ... plus all profits from the flick.

He Wants All The profits lol
  • Tsotsi Cape Town
    Tsotsi Cape Town Members Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This crakkka ain't realise Dre and Cube can finally get better lawyers then he can now lol
  • $ineedmoney$
    $ineedmoney$ Members Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jerry Heller claims he was never fired by Eazy-E

https://youtu.be/9D_8eSWKE8o

...@2:30...
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

He can't win. All it takes is for Cube, Dre, Yella and Ren to take the witness stand and say that he ripped them off.

It would be his word against theirs. If I was on the jury I'd believe the 4 surviving members.
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

He can't win. All it takes is for Cube, Dre, Yella and Ren to take the witness stand and say that he ripped them off.

It would be his word against theirs. If I was on the jury I'd believe the 4 surviving members.

all it would take is for them to ask about the papers that show he paid them... he can't prove that.. he over. .
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BluRay review

As expected, Universal Studios have delivered a damn pretty Blu-ray for Straight Outta Compton. The transfer is beautifully crisp and clear, while the audio mix really shines, delivering iconic music with gut-punch fidelity and clarity. The disc also features an “Unrated Director’s Cut” of the film, but anyone (like myself) hoping that it might fix the glossed-over problems of the theatrical will be disappointed. Sadly, this version is merely 20 minutes longer, not a radically different version. I suppose the second half isn’t quite as choppy in this form, but the simplistic morality slapped onto NWA remains. Too bad, but given that the movie was a hit, we were never going to get a radically different version.

The special feature section is plentiful, if slight. A few additional deleted scenes are available as well as six 2-8-minute featurettes. Half of these featurettes are about the film’s production and the other half feature original NWA members sharing memories. They’re all pretty fun to watch and professionally produced, but too fast and choppy to deliver much insight. Sadly, the Blu-ray producers’ concerns about appealing to a low attention span audience robbed viewers of a chance of getting an “in-their-own-words” documentary about NWA to run alongside the feature film (Perhaps that’s being saved for a future special edition release. That would certainly make sense). The most substantial special feature is a commentary from director F. Gary Gray who gets into great detail about the challenges of getting the film to the screen that’s quite entertaining and enlightening.

http://dorkshelf.com/2016/01/14/straight-outta-compton-blu-ray-review/
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Should we FOF this thread? Maybe merge with the Compton thread?
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stew wrote: »
    Should we FOF this thread? Maybe merge with the Compton thread?

Dont Merge, but FOF both @stew
This discussion has been closed.