Difference between Latino, Hispanic and Spanish..

Options
nujerz84
nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in The Social Lounge
http://youtu.be/gs2tdjzla8Y

Many people confuse the terms "Hispanic," "Latino," and "Spanish," and use them interchangeably, but they each have distinct definitions. Bustle produced this handy video (complete with a fancy Venn diagram) that breaks down the differences among the three terms.

Here's the cheat sheet:

1. "Hispanic" often refers to Spanish-speaking countries of origin. This includes Spain but excludes Brazil, meaning that Spaniards are often considered Hispanic but Brazilians are not.

2. "Latino" refers more to Latin America's geographic location. In this case, Brazilians are often considered Latinos, but Spaniards are not. However, some people argue that "Latino" encompasses anyone who speaks a Romance language and has more to do with language than geographic location. Therefore, some consider people from France, Portugal, and Italy to be Latino as well.

3. "Spanish" refers to someone from Spain. Ergo, someone who is from Spain is Spanish.

4. The most important thing to remember is that none of these labels is perfect and that not everyone from the U.S., Spain, Latin America, or Europe will identify with all or even any of them.

Comments

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this PR broad i used to ? with hated being called hispanic...like that ? was a racial slur to her.
  • nujerz84
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    this PR broad i used to ? with hated being called hispanic...like that ? was a racial slur to her.

alot of spanish speaking folks identify more with country they or family are from than these these terms.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I stopped trying to figure that ? out a long time ago. i just refer to people from hispanophone countries by nationality.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »

? a lot of older Latinos feel like that. My dad will flip out if you call him Hispanic because of the connection to Spain and it also coming with an assumption of being white.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hispanic refers to anyone with roots in Hispania
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options
    What do you consider yourself, @nujerz84 ?
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quick question, are people from Belize, Guyana, and Haiti latino?
    All three countries are part of latin america.
    Belieze is in central America, Guyana is in South America
    Haiti is 1/3 of Hispaniola.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    I refer to people as what they tell me they are.

Some of my Latino homies say they're black. ..some say they're whatever nationality their people are from...and some just say latino....

It's not something I even try to understand. ..I just let them be who they are mostly because I hate when I see other people try to tell black/mixed /African Americans who they are

The problem with that is it gives everyone a licence to be whatever they want. Case in point: Rachel Dolezal
  • nujerz84
    Options
    R0mp wrote: »
    What do you consider yourself, @nujerz84 ?

Of the three terms I use latino but for the most part I say Im Colombian/Puerto Rican.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    1. "Hispanic" often refers to Spanish-speaking countries of origin. This includes Spain but excludes Brazil, meaning that Spaniards are often considered Hispanic but Brazilians are not.

2. "Latino" refers more to Latin America's geographic location. In this case, Brazilians are often considered Latinos, but Spaniards are not. However, some people argue that "Latino" encompasses anyone who speaks a Romance language and has more to do with language than geographic location. Therefore, some consider people from France, Portugal, and Italy to be Latino as well.

So Brazilian ? movies are put Latino section because of Brazil's geographic location and Portuguese is a Romance language?

• Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LATINOS ARE THE PEOPLE THAT SPEAK THE ROMANCE LANGUAGES.ANYTHING THAT COMES FROM ? LATIN.
  • blackrain
    Options
    i tell you the difference........none of them can understand each other.
    \
    i saw a peruvian and dominican have a conversaion for like 20 minites about the same thing..... until so one says ohhhhhhh

adio mio....i want strangle someone

Lmao...yeah all the different dialects of spanish can be confusing as ? because the same word will mean 3 different things to 3 people from different countries. Spanish itself is standard pretty much but slang, accents and dialects can either cause a good laugh or a potential fight lol
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let's Cut The ? ...We're All Spics
  • Sage Wonder
    Sage Wonder Members Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To me they are just semantics and really don't make a difference. I see no reason to taking offense being called one or another. But technically speaking I'd say Spanish categorizes people from Spain, Latino people of Southern American ethnicity, and Hispanic neither of the above (puerto rican cuban dominican mexican).
  • J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »

Speaking for Belizeans as they are right next to us and I know a few. They like to be called Belizean if they speak Spanish, Creole, or Caribe. It's not until they are here that any division happens. Depending on how American sees them is what they identify with here. Like me an countless Latino posters tell you there is some real pride in Country for us. My 1st response when when someone ask what are you is always Guatemalan.
  • blackrain
    edited July 2015
    Options

I know some Haitians that consider themselves latino. I had an ex who was from Haiti and she did consider herself both Haitian and latino. Guyanese mainly consider themselves Caribbean or just West Indian depending on where they're family is from. Belizeans consider themselves latino from what I've always seen.
  • blackrain
    Options
    J-GUTTA wrote: »

Speaking for Belizeans as they are right next to us and I know a few. They like to be called Belizean if they speak Spanish, Creole, or Caribe. It's not until they are here that any division happens. Depending on how American sees them is what they identify with here. Like me an countless Latino posters tell you there is some real pride in Country for us. My 1st response when when someone ask what are you is always Guatemalan.

The bold is also why race is so confusing to non latinos too
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Haitians speak a creole language that differs from French though. Not sure that can be considered derivative of Latin
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »
    Haitians speak a creole language that differs from French though. Not sure that can be considered derivative of Latin

? they speak french creole