1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Still f-ck with The Toy racist or not.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »

I think that one is a stretch. It can only be seen as racist because Richard Pryor was the actor, but they could have just as easily gotten a white person to play that role and it wouldn't have changed the movie. So it becomes a bit tricky in cases like that. Pryor was a big name at that time. There is a good chance he got the role because he was a well known comedian. Should have have turned down the movie or should the production company have offered the part to white people only in order to avoid claims of racism?
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I use to love Dumbo when i was little until Paul Mooney called them out on one of his comedy shows, I haven't watched it since and I haven't let my kids watch it either.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options
    This is stupid.

I still wanna see birth of a nation. havent gotten around to watching it

3 hours im good.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gone with the Wind is not really racist. Co sign Dumbo tho.

I still need to see Birth of a Nation
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The monkeys in The Jungle Book are borderline racist but i still ? with Jungle Book
  • Phantom Pain
    Phantom Pain Members Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think that one is a stretch. It can only be seen as racist because Richard Pryor was the actor, but they could have just as easily gotten a white person to play that role and it wouldn't have changed the movie. So it becomes a bit tricky in cases like that. Pryor was a big name at that time. There is a good chance he got the role because he was a well known comedian. Should have have turned down the movie or should the production company have offered the part to white people only in order to avoid claims of racism?

Loved The Toy growing up, but the only reason it worked as a movie was because he was Black. Matter of fact, I think There was even a line in the movie about him being black. Then ask yourself, how can a movie about a white man offering a black family money for the man of the house to be his son's "toy" not be racist?
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    The monkeys in The Jungle Book are borderline racist but i still ? with Jungle Book

Not as bad as Dumbo but I won't let my son watch it off gp... although I'll probably change my mind soon because there are so few movies acceptable for toddlers...

On another note, I nominate The Bee Movie for consideration...
  • King of GA
    King of GA Members Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Loved The Toy growing up, but the only reason it worked as a movie was because he was Black. Matter of fact, I think There was even a line in the movie about him being black. Then ask yourself, how can a movie about a white man offering a black family money for the man of the house to be his son's "toy" not be racist?

But that was only part of the story moving the plot forward. If anything, the movie is about breaking down racial barriers..hell, the ? had them disrupting a big ? event...
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Blazing Saddles
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It's been a while, so I don't remember a line stating that they were asking him to be the "toy" because he was black. The point I'm making is that there is nothing intrinsic to the story that would have prevented the rich white man from offering a poor white family money for the man of the house to be his son's toy.

For something to be racist, there really has to be something inherent to the story that depends on the subservient character being black, or the black actor was chosen specifically for racial reasons. Again, I haven't seen that movie in a long time, but I don't know that that was the case for this movie.

The crows in Dumbo were definitely some racist ? . I don't know about the apes in Jungle Book though. There was nothing inherently racist about them.

• TheGOAT
    Options
    BenjaminE wrote: »

Not as bad as Dumbo but I won't let my son watch it off gp... although I'll probably change my mind soon because there are so few movies acceptable for toddlers...

Yea its nowhere near Dumbo

The king monkey just has a black mans voice (not sure if was actually voiced by a black man or not) and likes Jazz and dancing.

Its mainly just that it had to be a monkey

Dumbo was on some other ? tho
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Gran Torino imo

they used the racism constructively tho & it added to the story. those other movies were disrespectful with it
  • BenjaminE
    Options

The king monkey just has a black mans voice (not sure if was actually voiced by a black man or not) and likes Jazz and dancing.

Nope... white dude... with black voice... was an orangutan singing about wanting to walk and talk like the kid...
    That's Disney though... you can do that with most of not all their films...
  • BenjaminE
    Options
    Song of the South... anything by Lee Daniels or Ralph Bakshi...
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    According to whom ?

Its a Youtube page does top10 lists of almost anything
  • TheGOAT
    Options

Nope... white dude... with black voice... was an orangutan singing about wanting to walk and talk like the kid...
    That's Disney though... you can do that with most of not all their films...

Looked it up. The orangutan name was King Louie and it was actually written for Louie Armstrong but the producer didnt want to offer it to him because he felt it would cause controversy offering a black man to voice an ape.

They went with an Italian Jazz musician Louis Prima
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Dave2one6
    Dave2one6 Members Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blazing saddles
    do the right thing
    white boyz
    soul man
    guess who's coming to dinner
    roots
    the color purple
    american history x
    bamboozled
    cadence

IN MY OPINION!!!!! onion.
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Rampage12 wrote: »
    Dave2one6 wrote: »
    blazing saddles
    do the right thing
    white boyz
    soul man
    guess who's coming to dinner
    roots
    the color purple
    american history x
    bamboozled
    cadence

IN MY OPINION!!!!! onion.

American History X much like Gran Torino like someone already mentioned; a racist character is part of the story and there wouldn't be a movie without them. You could actually argue the movies are anti-racist since Edward Norton's and Clint Eastwood's characters respectively realize the error of their ways and decide to change.

It's one of my favorite movies but the way that all but 2 of the black characters (the principal and his prison friend) were portrayed used to bother me. The Jewish teacher too, I'd say now.

I haven't watched the movie but I don't think I'll ever reread Gone With the Wind. Or Heart of Darkness which I can't really remember but would have been bored with regardless. The Poisonwood Bible wasn't racist but a couple parts of it bothered me for other reasons (I know I'm off topic with the novels). Off the top of my head I can't think of a movie I'd consider racist, unless you just mean a movie with specific scenes that promoted stereotypes or had racist characters.