So you just got married(2-3months), and your mates parents ......

Options
2stepz_ahead
2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
buys a house for you two to live in but only wants the house in your mates name and your mate is ok with it that way.

now outside of the very surface answer "at least we have somewhere to live".

how would you feel?

Comments

• zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with that. Yeah, it's obvious the parents don't fully trust me but so what trust can be earned and if the marriage lasts we can always put the house on both our names later on.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with that. Yeah, it's obvious the parents don't fully trust me but so what trust can be earned and if the marriage lasts we can always put the house on both our names later on.

but if they trust their child with you....what is a house really?

i am sure the marriage would need to be "blessed" by the parents whether is being given away or asking for hand in marraige..

whos to say who trust someone in a marraige im not it?

thats like buying a honeymoon vacation and only buying insurance for one person because you dont trust someone.

at this point the union has started.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    help me out..
    i dont know ? bout divorce laws but wouldnt the ? have to sell it and half the proceeds go to me anyway??

if so who cares??
  • zzombie
    Options

i am sure the marriage would need to be "blessed" by the parents whether is being given away or asking for hand in marraige..

thats like buying a honeymoon vacation and only buying insurance for one person because you dont trust someone.

Maybe they don't trust you and they only consented to the marriage for her sake.

Yeah,the union has started but it's quite possible the parents are already planning for what they see coming, a potential divorce.
  • zzombie
    Options
    I am willing to bet that in the case of a divorce this kind of situation can get legally complicated because technically the wife is not buying the house it's just being given to her.

So legally is them giving her the house the same as them giving you the house. Is it her private property or will the court see it as a marital property
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

Maybe they don't trust you and they only consented to the marriage for her sake.

Yeah,the union has started but it's quite possible the parents are already planning for what they see coming, a potential divorce.

understood but why even go to those lengths if thats what they see......they are setting up a potential headache and even a gamble when they support the union.

why set up for happiness only to wait for divorce?

if the mate aint worthy....they just aint worthy.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    I am willing to bet that in the case of a divorce this kind of situation can get legally complicated because technically the wife is not buying the house it's just being given to her.

So legally is them giving her the house the same as them giving you the house. Is it her private property or will the court see it as a marital property
    i would assume they would see it as marital property or a gift to the couple even tho its in the mates name.

help me out..
    i dont know ? bout divorce laws but wouldnt the ? have to sell it and half the proceeds go to me anyway??

if so who cares??

even in the case of a prenup....they are all challenged now..so they dont even matter and the excuse as being signed while under duress is a way break it too.
  • BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are we paying a mortgage?

• Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    thats a no-go... its disrespectful and bad business...
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Are we paying a mortgage?

no mortgage...just the crib....

• Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wouldn't care either way, it's our house regardless of who name on the title

Now if you in one of those, 'we married but I always got one foot out the door' type of ? , then yeah, I can see how this would offend you.

Me tho, at some point it's gonna be GIVEN to one of our children, and one of there children's children, and......
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Chicity wrote: »

Now if you in one of those, 'we married but I always got one foot out the door' type of ? , then yeah, I can see how this would offend you.

Me tho, at some point it's gonna be GIVEN to one of our children, and one of there children's children, and......

her name on the mortgage gives her the ability to kick you out when she wants. not even about if you feel you have one foot out the door. if its our house.....then a name means alot...just like the marriage certificate means alot to some. otherwise ...whats the point.

second....why would you be with a person who is already separating themself and the marriage just begun. Is it more important to have the house or build a life together? next thing you know...she accepting drinks from any ? in the club.

third,why would you allow your mate to be disrespected like that by your parents. if you plan on being with them for the rest of your life, your parents dont have an option of ? on them.

fourth, if a persons credit is bad and its better to get it in the other persons name because of cheap mortgage....i agree. but thats the decision of the couple. not the parents.

fifth.... you might not get to the children stage if someone is feeling entitled and that entitlement attitude is being supported and feed.
  • Cinco
    Cinco Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No mortgage or rent
    Not worried bout the formalities
  • Chi Snow
    Options

her name on the mortgage gives her the ability to kick you out when she wants. not even about if you feel you have one foot out the door. if its our house.....then a name means alot...just like the marriage certificate means alot to some. otherwise ...whats the point.

second....why would you be with a person who is already separating themself and the marriage just begun. Is it more important to have the house or build a life together? next thing you know...she accepting drinks from any ? in the club.

third,why would you allow your mate to be disrespected like that by your parents. if you plan on being with them for the rest of your life, your parents dont have an option of ? on them.

fourth, if a persons credit is bad and its better to get it in the other persons name because of cheap mortgage....i agree. but thats the decision of the couple. not the parents.

fifth.... you might not get to the children stage if someone is feeling entitled and that entitlement attitude is being supported and feed.
    1) She can kick you out YOUR house. Police come thru, they not asking her to leave, you getting asked to cool off for a few days, so that's a moot point. If you preparing for contingencies like her trying to put you out guess what....you got one foot out the door

2) She's not separating herself, she adhering to her parents wishing to obtain ownership of the home. Unless it was her idea, I can't be mad at her for getting us a house. We got a house and building a life together on her parents dime.

3) I think you mean disrespected by her parents? ? em. Ain't like they said Ii couldn't live there or anything ridicious in regards to how we gotta run our house. Sounds like they don't like me, which is cool. I don't see a dip in the respect tho

4) What the what? I don't know what that gotta do with anything

5) I don't see how my mate feels entitled. Her parents gave us a home. Wish it was my parents but it was hers. Unless she thinks she ain't gotta do ? else but look pretty cause her parents brought her a home, I don't see a sense of entitlement. When it's time to discuss who the house goes to next, she make the final decision because again, they OUR children
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    imho the correct mindset going into the marriage all things are shared...so the house may be in her name, but it's still OUR house......it's going to be used as something that's going to help our family......

now if it becomes an issue down the road, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.....in the mean time reap the benefits of an awesome wedding gift....
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    plus she could always sell the ? ......
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wouldn't care at all. Why would I?
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

after all u have been thru its nice to see that u still believe in fairytales...
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Free house ..... Hell yeah ... now the money I was planning to pay a mortgage with I can stash for a rainy day or invest in a rental property in just my name ..... options
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She could say no... All or nothing...
  • Chi Snow
    Options

after all u have been thru its nice to see that u still believe in fairytales...
    Lol sorry bruh, I can't jump on the Bitter Divorced Black Man bandwagon
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm perfectly happy with that arrangement. It means that if we get divorced, the house would then be my wife's burden not mine. I could walk away clean.
  • zzombie
    Options

understood but why even go to those lengths if thats what they see......they are setting up a potential headache and even a gamble when they support the union.

why set up for happiness only to wait for divorce?

if the mate aint worthy....they just aint worthy.

Yeah you may think the mate is not worthy but if your daughter wants him what are you going to do??? Some parents simply won't give consent others play it differently.

what if the husband lives in a ghetto or in a bad side of town. The parents may not like him but for their daughters sake they say ? it you guys can live in this house.

And if the husband cannot provide a better place then he really shouldn't be angry