Let Me Pull Your Coat About KRS One

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
KRS One came out in the mid 80s. His breakout song was South Bronx, it was under the name Boogie Down Productions and was a response to The Bridge by MC Shan.

For those that don't know, there were two major Hip Hop shows in New York during the mid-80s; Mr Magic and Marley Marl on 107.5 WBLS and then there was 98.7 Kiss FM. Chuck Chillout was on Friday nights and Red Alert was on Saturday nights.

Here's a tape of the Red Alert show from 1986. Its KRS freestyling over the South Bronx beat dissing Mr Magic and MC Shan, then it goes into the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5Qn6wL0XZM

After South Bronx, MC Shan released a diss record called ? That Noise, to which KRS responded with The Bridge Is Over;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-alEhlHSzk

Then he released the classic album Criminal Minded

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBKfCQWYmmH86N8N9COF7ivcj4b_JwgxHf8T2wyu91VA0eBjiH

After Criminal Minded his DJ Scott LaRock was tragically gunned down. He moved over to Jive Records and released 5 albums under the name Boogie Down Productions and three albums under the name KRS One. All of them are classics.

KRS was a trailblazer, he, along with Schooly D, Ice T and NWA created gangsta rap. Some Hip Hop enthusiasts assert that 9mm Goes Bang from the Criminal Minded album was one of the first gangsta rap songs. Its a song about a weed dealer getting in a shootout with a ? dealer. After the shootout he drives away in a BMW. Theres no lesson about principles, there's no moral to the story, there's no positive ending. Its just a shootout and he gets away. That was the beginning of gangsta rap.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScCXj2aVBY_dRQ8OoEbaOQZ3gVQyd-l8Q7WTyyVv7NMz78TNLVdg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5CXUj3OkAZCFV7nM1ai4tibGKpBQ_5HaPv3shvdd2kk-INljXbg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEpklaN8WTsl5FoIMoMp4LLgWESAkotD4dQgSdYxDy1HPCtsM_-g

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyubc8blA9q9XfdwbuHFkxl7auR29j0tiDADqQekb7kix4KUvN4w

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtGbmesylK-U3al1BsnAP3dktMsXbqYW-5doOz3kRUj2WGEfuq

As you can see, KRS One graced the cover of many Hip Hop magazines when he was in his prime (87-97). In addition to gracing the cover of magazines, he was on Arsenio Hall and Yo! MTV Raps. For those that don't remember, before the internet there were 3 main mediums for Hip Hop; The Source, Yo! MTV Raps and Arsenio Hall. New York had Video Music Box but the rest of the country didn't get it.

KRS One on Arsenio Hall 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2zbMqpIEGY

KRS One on Arsenio Hall 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUgwJ1rQO0A

KRS on Yo! MTV Raps 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a43kejSVXoU

KRS on Yo! MTV Raps 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC-goWCMbbE

In conclusion, KRS One is one of the most important artists in Hip Hop history. His impact is immeasurable. He was the first rapper to bring philosophy and intellect into the game. Actually Melle Mel was first but Melle Mel didn't release a series of albums like KRS One. You could say that KRS picked up where Melle Mel left off.

A lot of people say that KRS One's message is confusing, or ambiguous. His message is that MCs should use Hip Hop to convey, well, a message. Rather than bragging and boasting about how great you are, use the microphone to convey something positive.

Here's a clip of KRS One lecturing at Harvard University

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tUaGFI2m5Y

By virtue of the fact that KRS One lectures at Harvad, you'd have to admit that he made a significant impact on Hip Hop and American pop culture.

Comments

• double0suge
    double0suge Members Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fuuuuuuucc krs one
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Excellent thread.
    Kinda sad that hip hop fans need a course on KRS.

It seems like hip hop is the only music where it's cool to not go back and listen to the music of today. I don't see that with other music.
  • BedStuy
    BedStuy Members Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man, if I could make up a list of samples, lines, and styles rappers took from Krs.
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDd7UbJmdmw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1vKOchATXs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxwlyV8QxZ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K49-YMDG2Lk

• its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Budden didn't deserve to be thrown under the bus although he is a lame at times he is a superior talent and would probably be the first to cosign this thread, I can tell he's a student of the game and respects the pioneers, that ? ? was more personal than it was him just ? on a legend for no reason going back to the days of them being label mates
  • RawAce
    Options
    Yeah,
    Throwing budden in the mix like that was kinda odd

Dude really luvs hip hop. At least the art of rap
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? .

all this ? come about cuz one dude cryin online for months instead of taking care of his grandchildren about 25 ? from all over the world aint vote a damn album into an internet hall of fame.

so that equals a whole generation not respecting krs contributions...

? mad cuz people would rather listen to other artists than krs, like its mandatory to like krs to like hip hop just cuz he may have contributed more than kendrick. what the ? is that? that aint hip hop.

u mad cuz u feel ? ignore the older generation and u try to kick knowledge but u not taken seriously because u act like a ? blonde when it comes to anything that came out after 1990. but u "hip hop doe..."

you (old)? , i tell u.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    ? .

all this ? come about cuz one dude cryin online for months instead of taking care of his grandchildren about 25 ? from all over the world aint vote a damn album into an internet hall of fame.

? mad cuz people would rather listen to other artists than krs, like its mandatory to like krs to like hip hop just cuz he may have contributed more than kendrick. what the ? is that? that aint hip hop.

u mad cuz u feel ? ignore the older generation and u try to kick knowledge but u not taken seriously because u act like a ? blonde when it comes to anything that came out after 1990. but u "hip hop doe..."

you (old)? , i tell u.

Nice post. Now explain why Run DMC, LL Cool J, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, Slick Rick, Stetsasonic, De La Soul, The Beastie Boys or KRS One don't have any albums in the vault.

In fact, if you could just explain why Run DMC doesn't have an album in the vault it would all make sense.
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He got washed by Nelly in a hip hop beef.
  • J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Seen him last January he's here in November again. One of the GOATS of Hip Hop.

https://youtu.be/r-pyHVQW_NU
  • dj pre-k
    dj pre-k Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i know all about KRS and what hes done, I even own Criminal Minded on cd

still dont give a ? about em and id still rather listen to Project Pat

and its tha summertime aint nobody wearin no ? coats
  • RawAce
    Options
    Posted this in the other thread but it should be in here

I honestly chalk it up to this board, this generation not having respect or the care to go back and listen.
    Alotta people here didnt even statt listwning to rap heavily till after 2000 and really dont appreciate much before 96.

Knowing that, it dont bother me as much cause im used to it.

As longs I know the importance of
    Self destruction
    Loves gonna get cha
    Bridge is over
    Outta here
    Step into a world
    Etc , im good

KRS was that dude.
    The point where he ? up is when he became the face of hip hop elitism.
    He became annoying to fans because instead of seeing him someone who loved hip hop, they saw him as a bitter old rapper
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    ? .

you (old)? , i tell u.

Nice post. Now explain why Run DMC, LL Cool J, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, Slick Rick, Stetsasonic, De La Soul, The Beastie Boys or KRS One don't have any albums in the vault.

In fact, if you could just explain why Run DMC doesn't have an album in the vault it would all make sense.

does the vault really matter that much in the grand scheme of things

are there articles out there discussing how much of a travesty it is that krs one has no albums in the IC vault

did i miss something?
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    edited August 2015
    Options
    i cant tell u why none of those guys have albums in the vault. only reason i can think of is they albums didnt come to the mind of the thread starter or the nominators. im pretty sure stew is well aware of all those artists impact, it prolly just slipped his mind or maybe he thought us posters would be more onto the 90's legends(which>>>80's btw), idk.
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RawAce wrote: »

I honestly chalk it up to this board, this generation not having respect or the care to go back and listen.
    Alotta people here didnt even statt listwning to rap heavily till after 2000 and really dont appreciate much before 96.

Self destruction
    Loves gonna get cha
    Bridge is over
    Outta here
    Step into a world
    Etc , im good

KRS was that dude.
    He became annoying to fans because instead of seeing him someone who loved hip hop, they saw him as a bitter old rapper

^^^^^this
  • dj pre-k
    dj pre-k Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    RawAce wrote: »

Self destruction
    Loves gonna get cha
    Bridge is over
    Outta here
    Step into a world
    Etc , im good

KRS was that dude.

I understand what you're saying. And I'll admit his music went downhill over the years, but there was a time when KRS One was like ? . It was a time when Hip Hop as a whole was underground. The only type of rap you'd hear on the radio was MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice, Salt N Pepa, Run DMC and people who were really commercial. In Boston we had college radio stations.

The college stations would have a rap show once a week, like Saturday from 7-9pm or something like that. Thing is, in Boston there's a lot of colleges. There was; Ermerson College, Boston College, Boston University, M.I.T., Brandeis University and Harvard University and they all had a two hour rap show that came on once a week. Incidentally, the show on Harvard was 95.3 Streetbeat. It was hosted by Go Go Dave and JJ The Sultan of Rap, otherwise known as Dave Mays and Jonathan Schecter who would later go on and start The Source. I remember when you used to call and request a song they'd ask for your mailing address for a newsletter they were starting. I remember getting the very first edition of The Source when it was just a newsletter. It was basically a piece of paper folded in half. Must have been in the fall of 1988. It gradually grew to a quarterly newsletter/magazine. Then when it became a full fledged magazine around 1990 they took me off the mailing list and I started seeing it at newsstands. I remember I had a friend who subscribed to The Source and every month when it came out that magazine would get passed around like a joint.

Anyway, that was around the time that KRS was on top of the game. We used to sit at the lunch table and argue about who was the best MC. I can remember people saying it was between Rakim and Kane but I always thought KRS was better than Kane.

KRS would be featured on Yo! MTV Raps, he would be featured on Arsenio Hall, he'd get the front page of The Source. To deny KRS One's impact or legacy is insane. You'd have to be crazy or uninformed to say that KRS didn't have any impact, or that he didn't have as much impact as Rakim and Public Enemy. Another thing is that Rakim and Public Enemy kinda fizzled out around 1992 while KRS kept dropping albums. He was on a major label until 1997 and truth be told, most of his albums were 4 mics or better.

Anyway, here's a link to a 95.3 Streetbeat show. I'm not sure if there's anything by KRS One but this is what I used to listen to when I was a teenager

http://www.unkut.com/2013/02/street-beat-radio-show/

• RawAce
    Options
    I know.. TRUST ME I KNOW.
    Im sayin these cats dont and I'll accept that. No point in arguing.

KRS was one of the most feared and respected mcs for a good string of years.

But thats rap culture. Respect now and now only.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dope thread. Got all of KRS' albums on my first gen ipod. Need to download some again. I played the hell out of criminal minded when i was 15 or so. back in 2005 lol
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    lol @ krs kept dropping albums

they did nothing.

in the 80's rakim pe ll>>>krs

in the 90's nas, jay, outkast, tribe>>>krs

foh
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    edited August 2015
    Options
    what they do that was so much more than rakim, pe, and LL? take sales out the equation cuz they did nothing.