Let Me Pull Your Coat About KRS One

Options

Comments

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

what they do that was so much more than rakim, pe, and LL? take sales out the equation cuz they did nothing.

According to Wikipedia, the albums released under the name Boogie Down Productions; By All Means Necessary, Ghetto Music:The Blueprint of ip Hop and Edutainment went gold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boogie_Down_Productions_discography

And his last album, I Got Next on Jive went gold

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KRS-One_discography

Yeah he never sold as much as Run DMC or LL Cool J but he had a following.
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good art will last forever, it's why illmatic and reasonable doubt still get discussed

Even paid in full still gets talked about, chances are if it's not being discussed....it's not that important in the grand scheme of things

A lot of early rap has fallen to the waste side because it really wasn't very good
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    bck145 wrote: »
    Good art will last forever, it's why illmatic and reasonable doubt still get discussed

Even paid in full still gets talked about, chances are if it's not being discussed....it's not that important in the grand scheme of things

A lot of early rap has fallen to the waste side because it really wasn't very good

I still listen to Criminal Minded. I admit it doesn't have any sub-bass but it still stands the test of time better than Run DMC imo.
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is a healthy thread for The Reason, need more like it.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    Funny ass thread.

Stew already said on multiple occasions he has something planned for the 80s albums induction into the vault, but this ? 5 Grand wont let up till its done lmaoooo If you look in the main vault thread I was the first ? to mention the 80s albums entering the vault before anybody, so chill with the mods are slippin ? . It's gonna happen , just relax.

With that being said , there was some good info dropped in the OP.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    what they do that was so much more than rakim, pe, and LL? take sales out the equation cuz they did nothing.

According to Wikipedia, the albums released under the name Boogie Down Productions; By All Means Necessary, Ghetto Music:The Blueprint of ip Hop and Edutainment went gold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boogie_Down_Productions_discography

And his last album, I Got Next on Jive went gold

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KRS-One_discography

Yeah he never sold as much as Run DMC or LL Cool J but he had a following.

u said albums krs dropped albums in the 90s like it was supposed to mean something so thats why i was asking what they did

never said krs didnt have a following. theres a reason people think about him what they do, i just disagree, especially compared to others.
  • whoseworldisthis
    whoseworldisthis Members Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Posted this video on here before but it encapsulates every reason why I think KRS is one of the GOATs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJDO-NyNIKc
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    lethal5 wrote: »
    Seeing so called HipHop fans diss an emcee who was literally considered one of the best in the Golden Age is like seeing a so called blackman dis the true history of Africa.....u just dont realize how stupid yall sound.

Apparently some people dont realize the reason they called it the Golden Age....it means this generation has fallen off by comparison.

....but u guys go ahead, keep pretending your smart.

Its impossible to go on a Hip Hop forum, diss KRS One and sound smart.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Seeing so called HipHop fans diss an emcee who was literally considered one of the best in the Golden Age is like seeing a so called blackman dis the true history of Africa.....u just dont realize how stupid yall sound.

Apparently some people dont realize the reason they called it the Golden Age....it means this generation has fallen off by comparison.

But but but but Nelly.....
  • lethal5
    lethal5 Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I swear, listening to alot of u guys discuss hiphop, is like listening to a guy who acts like he knows his sports, but u know he's frontin, he just watches sportcenter every once in a while.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    edited August 2015
    Options
    who dissed krs one tho, him not being in the vault is a diss now?
  • Trigga T
    Trigga T Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stepping aside from this being about KRS, and towards T/S talking bout "the definition of hip hop" and how the current state of the game isn't based on breakbeats, Graffiti, MCing & DJing....? , do you still rock clothes and the styles that were current in the 80s & 90s?

I assume the answer to that is no. Times change. Hip hop as is defined, turned to gangsta rap, gangsta rap rap evolved/changed however you want to label it, so on and so fourth, to basically the sub genre of a sub genre of a sub genre of what started out as Hip hop. Everything has a life span and once it peaks, it has to find a new direction. Including any and all styles for instance as was my original comparison.

Ain't no ? rocking a Jheri curl in the 21st century.
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

To bad that wasn't the golden ages, it was the starting point hence why the sound had to grow from sounding sloppy to what it involved into
  • lethal5
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »

Maybe im conceited, but i think anybody who actually believes Nelly won that battle is a newby or just an occasional hiphop fan.

I dont know how anybody could listen to krs1's diss to Nelly "Over Here", then think Nelly is the better MC...but thats just me

• lethal5
    Options

To bad that wasn't the golden ages, it was the starting point hence why the sound had to grow from sounding sloppy to what it involved into

Krs1's not a Golden Age Rapper????
    ....i need sum clarification
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    ion think anyone thinks nelly is a better lyricist than krs. now artist/makes better music is a different story. nelly's song was simply better. think what u want about me based on that.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options

lol @ 5 grand with the no sign. Its well known the golden ages were from the late 80s to the mid 90s. When do you think it was, from 82 to 89? lol
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    ion think anyone thinks nelly is a better lyricist than krs. now artist/makes better music is a different story. nelly's song was simply better. think what u want about me based on that.

I don't think Nelly is a better rapper or a better artist, but even I'll admit that during their beef, Hot In Here was a catchy tune. KRS said he was going to "end Nelly's career" and told all the "real Hip Hoppers" to boycott Nelly's album then Nelly went on to sell 6X platinum. Then a few years later Nelly proceeded to release a double album that debuted at #1 and #2 on the pop charts.

I think we can all agree that KRS didn't end Nelly's career like he said he would. Bottom line, Nelly was the new kid on the block and KRS just didn't have the machine behind him anymore.

I'd have to say Nelly won that battle even though KRS is the better artist.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    lol not this machine ? again.
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One of my favorite KRS songs

People say who did Krs influence?
    Listen to the slick rick sample lol

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ycu7i7hbcFU
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »

Maybe im conceited, but i think anybody who actually believes Nelly won that battle is a newby or just an occasional hiphop fan.

I dont know how anybody could listen to krs1's diss to Nelly "Over Here", then think Nelly is the better MC...but thats just me

the mere fact that krs was battling nelly shows how much he fell off. much respect to krs he is a legend but he overstayed his welcome. he went from a ? , to a legend, to a bitter old ass rapper, to a guy who was battling nelly.

wtf rakim look like battling chingy or snoop battling murphy lee? thats how krs looked going at weak ass nelly. even if krs did win which is debatable he lost for battling nelly in the first ? place.

floyd mayweather is the richest athlete on earth. ? he look like brawling with ricky ? hatton. this was a battle krs couldnt win. a man of his status should have known that
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Boat done sank and it aint left the dock
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? need to get out of they feelings because another person has a different opinion. That's what's wrong with the Reason now. 95% of you ? hate E-40, you don't see me making threads trying to cape for him.