R.I.P. Wes Craven

Options
Broddie
Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in Lights, Camera, Action!
A true master of the horror genre is now no longer with us :(

It's a shame that that ? Scream 4 has the privilege of now being considered his final effort. I really was rooting for him to make a legit comeback movie and give us something worth rooting for one last time before moving on to the afterlife. Nevertheless R.I.P. to a true horror genius.
Wes Craven, Horror Maestro, Dies at 76

Wes Craven, the famed writer-director of horror films known for the Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream movies, died Sunday after a battle with brain cancer. He was 76.

Craven, whose iconic Freddy Krueger character horrified viewers for years, died at his home in Los Angeles, his family announced.

Craven claimed to have gotten the idea for Elm Street when living next to a cemetery on a street of that name when growing up in the suburbs of Cleveland. His five Nightmare on Elm Street films were released from 1984-89.

Similarly, Craven's Scream series was a box-office sensation. In those scare-'em-ups, he spoofed the teen horror genre. The movies frequently referenced other horror movies.

Craven’s first feature film was The Last House of the Left, which he wrote, directed and edited in 1972.

Here invented the youth horror genre again in 1984 with the classic A Nightmare on Elm Street, which he wrote and directed.

He conceived and co-wrote Elm Street III as well, and then after not being involved with the three more sequels, deconstructed the genre a decade after the original, writing and directing Wes Craven’s New Nightmare, which was nominated as best feature at the 1995 Spirit Awards. His own Nightmare players, Robert Englund, Heather Langenkamp and John Saxon, played themselves in the film.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/wes-craven-horror-maestro-dies-818806

Comments

• illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Wes-Craven.jpg

wescravenwooley.jpg

A representative for legendary filmmaker Wes Craven, creator of dozens of films including Scream and A Nightmare on Elm Street, has confirmed that he passed away following a battle with brain cancer. He was 76.

Born in Ohio, Craven earned an undergraduate degree in English and Psychology from Wheaton College in Illinois and a master's degree in Philosophy and Writing from Johns Hopkins University. He became one of the most prominent voices in horror, with a public persona to rival even his own professional accomplishments, and was sometimes compared to the similarly-charismatic Stan Lee.

Some of his other films include The Hills Have Eyes, The Last House on the Left, The Serpent and the Rainbow, The People Under the Stairs, Vampire in Brooklyn, Cursed, Red Eye and My Soul to Take. From a comic book perspective, he helmed 1982's Swamp Thing with Adrienne Barbeau and Ray Wise.

Craven's official website has been crashed since news of his death started to ripple through social media, but his passing was confirmed by his official Twitter account.

Craven's last film project as a director was 2011's Scream 4. He would often make cameos in not only his own films, but sometimes those of other filmmakers (like Kevin Smith's Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back). His final on-screen appearance was in an episode of ABC's Castle in 2013.

In the 2005 documentary film Inside ? , Craven said that he worked on a number of adult films, including ? , over the course of his very early career.

In 2013, Liquid Comics released Coming of Rage, a graphic novel written by Craven with 30 Days of Night's Steve Niles. It's currently available digitally on Amazon.

Craven's Scream is currently a hit series on MTV; he was originally slated to direct the pilot, but withdrew.

• Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RIP to one of the great horror minds. Nightmare on Elm Street is legendary and Scream was good too.
  • illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn man this a huge blow not just for the film industry but the horror genre in general. One of my favorite fimmakers
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn,this sucks,RIP to one of the greatest writer/directors EVER.

This is how he got the idea of Nightmare on Elm Street
    https://youtu.be/2uKjYMgUHIQ
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    scream 1 and 2 are some of my favorite horror movies
    RIP

tumblr_ntxcd0dlbO1qij1mgo1_1280.jpg
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dam grew up on this guys movies
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? me up seeing this, Im a big horror fan and this guy was my favorite..
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dont forget the hills have eyes either
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Cause you a ? rest haven
    I Put a gun to her head, paint a picture like Wes Craven
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rip.
    The first Nightmare On Elm Street still holds up well today
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wes craven top 5
  • dee.i.pee
    dee.i.pee Members Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Had real nightmares thanks to Craven,RIP to him and any chance NOES ever being relevant again
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rip some of my favorite horror movies were made by him
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Just got done watching scream

RIP to a legend
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RIP Wes

He gave us the Nightmare series and Nightmare before Christmas
  • Broddie
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Cause you a ? rest haven
    I Put a gun to her head, paint a picture like Wes Craven

I miss that Cam just like I miss Resurrection era Common.
  • Broddie
    edited August 2015
    Options
    RIP Wes

That was Tim Burton lol

However if it wasn't for Craven I don't think I would've really gotten into horror the way I did. The original Nightmare and The Serpent and the Rainbow really had that kinda impact on me back in the late 80's and I never really looked back.

Wes was also awesome for not only making a horror movie when I was a kid with the first kid I could really relate to cause he looked more like me and like me also came from the ghetto (People Under the Stairs) but for making the first full blown horror comedy with a black cast since Blackula (Vampire in Brooklyn).

Another thing I saw pointed out on a website I regularly frequent (outlawvern.com) is that when you look back on it he pretty much is directly responsible for the genesis of a lot of horror eras.

Like if it wasn't for The Last House on the Left who knows if we would've had the slasher movie cycle from the 70's that led to movies like Halloween. Of course if it wasn't for the original Nightmare the 80's horror movie landscape would look completely different same with Scream in the 90's. It's a shame he never got to do something similar in the last decade or even this one but I don't think there was a more influential director in the genre.

Also Johnny Depp better say something. If it wasn't for Wes Craven's daughter thinking he was hot we wouldn't even know who the hell he is.

• CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    RIP Wes

That was Tim Burton lol

However if it wasn't for Craven I don't think I would've really gotten into horror the way I did. The original Nightmare and The Serpent and the Rainbow really had that kinda impact on me back in the late 80's and I never really looked back.

Wes was also awesome for not only making a horror movie when I was a kid with the first kid I could really relate to cause he looked more like me and like me also came from the ghetto (People Under the Stairs) but for making the first full blown horror comedy with a black cast since Blackula (Vampire in Brooklyn).

Another thing I saw pointed out on a website I regularly frequent (outlawvern.com) is that when you look back on it he pretty much is directly responsible for the genesis of a lot of horror eras.

Like if it wasn't for The Last House on the Left who knows if we would've had the slasher movie cycle from the 70's that led to movies like Halloween. Of course if it wasn't for the original Nightmare the 80's horror movie landscape would look completely different same with Scream in the 90's. It's a shame he never got to do something similar in the last decade or even this one but I don't think there was a more influential director in the genre.

Also Johnny Depp better say something. If it wasn't for Wes Craven's daughter thinking he was hot we wouldn't even know who the hell he is.

damn you right
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dont forget the hills have eyes either

And the original Last House on The Left