Dr. Umar Johnson at The Breakfast Club

Options
MrCrookedLetter
MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

About to watch this now. I still want to see Dr. Claud Anderson on the Breakfast Club. Black America needs to listen to that man.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    good ? . reeeeeeaal thorough info

• D0wn
    Options
    http://? .org/

that north american man boy love association, ? is real...
  • 216atlran
    216atlran Members Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One of my favorite people in the world
  • _God_
    _God_ Members Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just finished the video. Great interview. Breakfast club is killing Ebro.

I tweeted to the Breakfast club a while back that they should have a financial Thursdays.

Still need Dr. Claud Anderson to come on the show.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bruh has a legitimate argument but some of the ? he says make no sense because its based on his own prejudice. He isnt totally wrong though.
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    a lot of good information in this interview, breakfast club should continue to do interviews like this.
    I saw Umar speak 2 years ago.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Bruh has a legitimate argument but some of the ? he says make no sense because its based on his own prejudice. He isnt totally wrong though.

I thought i was the only one i was thought some of his ? he said made no logical sense
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you have to take the information and conduct your own research if you don't agree with some of the points being made, although Umar focuses more on an educational aspect as it relates to the black community ,there are a number of speakers in the conscious community who speak to a lot of these same issues (bro polight, professor griff, dr ali muhhamad, minister enqi, sara suten seti) they all cover different facets of information.
  • Delphas
    Delphas Members Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Go ahead and get this stickied. Dope interview.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This dude is making a lot of assumptions about the contributions of celebrities too. Just because people aren't coming out and saying "i donated to this cause'' doesn't mean they aren't.

It's like in one hand you insult these people then you want them to support your cause.
  • ConsciousStripper
    ConsciousStripper Members Posts: 42
    Options

1. Umar Johnson is a school psychologist, nothing more. He went to the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine. During his final year he presented his desertion only for such to be denied; he never received his doctorate. He is a school psychologist at the masters degree level, nothing more. Umar Johnson is also not apart of the American Psychological Association, nor the National Association of School Psychologist.

2. He is correct that homosexuality was once labeled a mental disorder according to the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual); however, what he leaves out to project his bias of homosexuals is that such also prescribed blacks of being intellectually inferior of whites, where it was believed that blacks could not benefit from psychological treatment.

3. He's correct, black people are extremely multicultural. Black people love to date outside their race, they also love to fight for the rights of other people, while never receiving it back.

4. The nature vs. nurture debate is a long steady conversation in psychology. And whether Umar Johnson doesn't like it, their are actually studies that show their is an alcohol gene that can be passed down amongst families. The Nf1 (neurofibromatosis type 1) regulates a signaling pathway that’s linked with alcohol dependence by affecting the production of the neurotransmitter GABA. While an individuals environment plays a role in their behavior an individuals genetic make up is also a contributing factor.

5. While their is an over projection of labeling individual as ADHD their is a different element in the brains of individuals with ADHD and non-ADHD individuals.

1d0c2460.jpg

95% of what Umar Johnson stated in this interview goes against the code of ethics set forth by the APA. It would be better if he was not as bias.

• AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i do the same thing tbh.

BUT to his point, they have no problem advertising whatever vodka or media streaming services they are trying to pump out to folks, so why not brag about your philanthropic contributions with the same energy and effort.
  • phukkyou2
    phukkyou2 Members Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    This dude is making a lot of assumptions about the contributions of celebrities too. Just because people aren't coming out and saying "i donated to this cause'' doesn't mean they aren't.

It's like in one hand you insult these people then you want them to support your cause.

I'm sure he assumes that. But a show of force is literally necessary. If not, our minds will continue to hold the same exact shackles they continue to have.

"White People got all da money", "black people get money and get stingy and only spend it with white folks", etc etc

Even if that's true for some that doesn't mean that we can't change the mindset around it. Because truth be told, alotta us as a group have Stockholmes Syndrome. That's really real. And whole time right, we can change that.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @ConsciousStripper what is your other screenname
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The ? about the celebrities is maybe they don't agree with all his views. Can you imagine Beyonce donating money to this dudes cause when a large percentage of her fanbase is homosexuals. Can you imagine Puff and Jay donating to a ? cause when a large chunk of their income comes from selling to white young adults with their products.

Look at what they did to Arsenio for Farrakhan. What makes you think they wouldn't lynch these celebrities for aligning with a ? who does think ? are born that way.

• D0wn
    Options
    my only problem with Umar is , in regards to the school, why didn't he start off small???
    imo, had Umar started off small, he would be further then where he is at now in regard to the school. cause he'd have a track record that ppl can evaluate; such as, his ability to run a school, manage funds, and how the kids performed.. PPl are more willing to donate, when u give them something tangible they can donate to.

Also , i find it hard to believe that an athlete pulled back his donations because, of Umar's scandal with the conscious stripper. Athletes have a culture of tricking off salaries at strip clubs. yet said athlete, pull out in supporting a cause he initially believed in, because Umar was ? a stripper, for free??? Umar wasn't even tricking. so it wasn't like he couldn't trust Umar with the money.

Also a million dollar donation in something that's still a idea, sounds unbelievable...especially when said athlete had no direct contact with umar, but he was gonna donate a million dollars....
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I didnt watch the whole interview, i watched up until he started talking about ? so probably about 20 minutes or so and here are things he is wrong about:
    1. Females run the schools. This false. There are more female teachers but far more male principals. You know the guys who hire and fire teachers. So how do females "run" the system when they are on the bottom of the totem pole? Notice he also gave no citation on the subject he just said it and everybody rode with it.

2. Boys "cant sit still" for 7 hours but magically girls can because testosterone and estrogen. Boys have no more or less ability to "sit still" than girls do, notice also he gave no citation for this, he just said it and everyone rode with it.

Being able to pay attention is more about instruction style, which they addressed in the interview. School is ? boring NOBODY wants to be there. There has been no scientific explanation as to why black girls and black boys have different educational attainment other than boys learn differently than girls.

3. Boys get in trouble for not exhibiting "feminine behavior" this is under the same umbrella as 2 but when asked the only example he gave was "lacking self-control". Is that really your argument? Boys have less self-control than girls? Thats another thing ? just let slide.

4. He talked about kids selling drugs out of desperation and because there are no jobs. He isnt totally wrong here but what is omitted is that most drug dealers are underage and thus cant hold a "real" job anyway. Charlamagne noted he did it because of association and that is far more likely to be the case than desperation. Kids dont have bills what they ? they so desperate for? ? they dont really need and but ? they want.

He is right about special ed classes being a trash can. Sometimes they just put kids with behavioral disorders in special ed even though nothing is wrong with their ability to learn.

He is right about the over diagnosis of ADHD and overprescription of drugs but ADHD is some real ? . You cant just beat a kid into behaving.

Class overcrowding is obvious. Everybody knows thats true.

I didnt care about the rest of that ? .
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    I didnt watch the whole interview, i watched up until he started talking about ? so probably about 20 minutes or so and here are things he is wrong about:
    1. Females run the schools. This false. There are more female teachers but far more male principals. You know the guys who hire and fire teachers. So how do females "run" the system when they are on the bottom of the totem pole? Notice he also gave no citation on the subject he just said it and everybody rode with it.

2. Boys "cant sit still" for 7 hours but magically girls can because testosterone and estrogen. Boys have no more or less ability to "sit still" than girls do, notice also he gave no citation for this, he just said it and everyone rode with it.

Being able to pay attention is more about instruction style, which they addressed in the interview. School is ? boring NOBODY wants to be there. There has been no scientific explanation as to why black girls and black boys have different educational attainment other than boys learn differently than girls.

3. Boys get in trouble for not exhibiting "feminine behavior" this is under the same umbrella as 2 but when asked the only example he gave was "lacking self-control". Is that really your argument? Boys have less self-control than girls? Thats another thing ? just let slide.

4. He talked about kids selling drugs out of desperation and because there are no jobs. He isnt totally wrong here but what is omitted is that most drug dealers are underage and thus cant hold a "real" job anyway. Charlamagne noted he did it because of association and that is far more likely to be the case than desperation. Kids dont have bills what they ? they so desperate for? ? they dont really need and but ? they want.

He is right about special ed classes being a trash can. Sometimes they just put kids with behavioral disorders in special ed even though nothing is wrong with their ability to learn.

He is right about the over diagnosis of ADHD and overprescription of drugs but ADHD is some real ? . You cant just beat a kid into behaving.

Class overcrowding is obvious. Everybody knows thats true.

I didnt care about the rest of that ? .

The bold contradict #2 and 3 because once you admit that boys and girls learn differently even when put in the same school environment that you admit no one wants to be in then isn't it logical to assume that there very well could be genetic/hormonal differences that account for the gap in educational attainment between boys and girls.

The teachers run the system because teachers cannot be fired or at least it's not easy to fire them also their union is no ? joke. So while on paper the principals run the school and do administer it, the teachers do in essence run the "system".

AND MOST drug dealers are not under age i don't know where you got that from most criminals period are 18 and over.