IC Discussion: Colorism in the black community

Options
AyeB_
AyeB_ Members Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2015 in For The Grown & Sexy
You might not have heard of the term colorism, but it's a problem in the black community. It's where African Americans discriminate against each other by piting the light-skinned black ppl against the dark-skinned black ppl. Unlike other forms of injustice, colorism is rarely discussed, even though it happens daily. It's also often swept under the rug by the black community.
You've got darkskinned black ppl saying that they're affected by colorism when they're told their skin color is "too dark" & "ugly" . Many have been called tar baby, and etc. Then on the opposite side you have the lightskinned black ppl saying they're affected by colorism when they're told they're not truly black, they're whitewashed, etc. There are also #TeamDarkskin & #TeamLightskin hashtags on Twitter at this very moment where many ppl are proudly proclaiming their skintone while bashing those on the opposite side. These are just a few on the list of the many ways colorism affects the black community.

What are your personal experiences with colorism?

Source: http://m.clickondetroit.com/lifestyle/the-fight-against-colorism-in-the-black-community/31610688

Comments

• JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why is this in Donkey?
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is the Donkey..u new posters is trash...yo move this to the Social Lounge or GNS
  • AyeB_
    edited October 2015
    Options
    This is the Donkey..u new posters is trash...yo move this to the Social Lounge or GNS

I've already asked to have it moved smh. I was on mobile & clicked the wrong section by accident.
  • MistyKnight
    MistyKnight Members Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    Why is this in Donkey?

I'd assume that the donkey is all that she knows lol.
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We all black but light skinned ? do get treated better than dark skinned ? it's like instead of white privilege they get light privilege
  • ChillaDaGawd
    ChillaDaGawd Members Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Khaleesi wrote: »
    Why is this in Donkey?

I'd assume that the donkey is all that she knows lol.

She's growing up this her first steps out of Donkey
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First we need to define black

Be careful with blanket or general definitions
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    why is there a ? in your avy aye bae bae?
  • ChillaDaGawd
    ChillaDaGawd Members Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black women range from French Vanilla
    Butter Pecan
    Caramel Sundae
    Chocolate Deluxe

I love all them flavors b
  • AyeB_
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »

It's Dizz
  • JokerzWyld
    Options
    White people started it. In certain places in this country, and others, light skinned people were viewed as their own class/race, as mulatto/creole, above darker shaded people. Anybody who studies racism knows where it comes from and that it's just a microcosm of white supremacy practiced by small-minded black people.

There's a good book on the subject entitled The Color Complex.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It's mainly (but not only) " Oreo" sisters I catch entertaining this ignorant ? ... I just tell them hoes they perpetuating slave master economics and to get that stupid look up off they face
  • jetlifebih
    Options
    White people started it. In certain places in this country, and others, light skinned people were viewed as their own class/race, as mulatto/creole, above darker shaded people. Anybody who studies racism knows where it comes from and that it's just a microcosm of white supremacy practiced by small-minded black people.

What do you identify as?
  • JokerzWyld
    Options
    Wuwop wrote: »

What do you identify as?

Medium toned black man. I had one light parent and one dark one.
  • jetlifebih
    Options
    Wuwop wrote: »

What do you identify as?

Medium toned black man. I had one light parent and one dark one.

What were your grandparents?
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Say, bruh. You might wanna check this one out if you haven't.

51BA2%2BctDbL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ayebaebae wrote: »
    AggyAF wrote: »

It's Dizz

i like the avy change
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, it's a problem and yes it's way more harmful psychologically than people think. You'll never hear me making those sorts of statements. And that's not even taking into considerations that those statements are almost always flat our false.