What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

Was Fat Joe ever the king of New York???

1235»

Replies

• KLICHEKLICHE Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO
    HE wasn't even king of the obese MC's
    formerly known as J.K.SHAKUR before 2010 on AHH

tumblr_n06dt22t491rqd0kpo1_r1_400.gif
    king hassan
  • kingblaze84kingblaze84 Bronx, NY birthplace of hip-hopPosts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO
    5 Grand wrote: »
    bigev240 wrote: »
    D0wn wrote: »
    At the time though Nas and Jay were at 'war', they were fighting to be Kings in and around after BIG past, so they wernt really the K.O.N.Y, who was???... 50 was on the come up during that time frame, he wore the crown for a while eventually no doubt... But is it really inconceivable to say Joe BRIEFLY had the crown???

Nas I dont think really ever was K.O.N.Y, regarding them shoes 'he tried them, wore them, wasnt a perfect fit so he couldnt sport them' No doubt Jay a few years AFTER became the king, mainly through business and Kanye...

Someone make a timeline from 1997 on...
    The last 35 years
    Kings of NY Year By Year

1980 Kurtis Blow
    1981 Kurt's Blow
    1982 Kurtis Blow
    1983 Kurtis Blow
    1984 Run DMC
    1985 LL Cool J
    1986 Run DMC
    1987 Rakim /KRS 1 / LL Cool J
    1988 Big Daddy Kane/ Rakim/ KRS1/Chuck D
    1989 Big Daddy Kane / KRS
    1990 LL Cool J
    1991 QTip (Tribe Call Quest )
    1992 Pete Rock C.L Smooth
    1993 LL Cool J
    1994 Nas
    1995 Biggie
    1996 Nas/ LL
    1997 Biggie/Mase/ Puff
    1998 DMX/ Jayz
    1999 JayZ
    2000 Jayz/Jarule
    2001 Nas/ Jayz.../JaRule
    2002 JaRule
    2003 50/ Jay
    2004 Nas
    2005 50
    2006 Fat Joe
    2007 50 / Jay
    2008 Max B........ non rap :Vybz Kartel n Mavado
    2009 Jay
    2010 ?
    2011 ?
    2012 Asap Rocky
    2013 Jay / Asap Rocky
    2014 ?
    2015 Asap Rocky

Kurtis Blow didn't have NYC on lock like that.

Grandmaster Flsh and the Furious 5 were dropping groundbreaking records like The Message, White Lines and Beat Street. Melle Mel dropped a 16 bar verse on Chaka Khan's I Feel For you and performed it at the Grammys in 1984. I don't see how you could say he wasn't KONY in 1984.

I know its a lot of opinions, but no way was LL Cool J KONY in 1993.

The crown was vacant in 1993. Nobody in NYC was seeing Snoop or Death Row.

Snoop and Death Row and the KONY has nothing in common for 93 so you can't say the crown was vacant.

Well, if the KONY is supposed to have New York City on lock, in 92/93 there's wasn't anybody in New York that fit that description. In the meanwhile, Ice Cube, Dre and Snoop were releasing genre defining music on the other coast. Don't think that New York cats didn't notice.

Saying Snoop was the KONY in 93 is like saying Wayne was the KONY in 2008, at first it doesn't make sense, but if you really think about it, who was the hottest rapper in New York in 2008? Who was getting the most play? who was on the mixtapes? Same difference.

Point being, there was a lull in NYC Hip Hop from 92-93. You had Gang Starr, A Tribe Called Quest, Naughty By Nature, Brand Nubian, Pete Rock and CL Smooth. They made great singles, but there was no MOVEMENT. The West had a movement from 92-93.

Great points, I actually agree.
  • D0wnD0wn Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO
    D0wn wrote: »
    At the time though Nas and Jay were at 'war', they were fighting to be Kings in and around after BIG past, so they wernt really the K.O.N.Y, who was???... 50 was on the come up during that time frame, he wore the crown for a while eventually no doubt... But is it really inconceivable to say Joe BRIEFLY had the crown???

Nas I dont think really ever was K.O.N.Y, regarding them shoes 'he tried them, wore them, wasnt a perfect fit so he couldnt sport them' No doubt Jay a few years AFTER became the king, mainly through business and Kanye...

Someone make a timeline from 1997 on...
    The last 35 years
    Kings of NY Year By Year

1980 Kurtis Blow
    1981 Kurt's Blow
    1982 Kurtis Blow
    1983 Kurtis Blow
    1984 Run DMC
    1985 LL Cool J
    1986 Run DMC
    1987 Rakim /KRS 1 / LL Cool J
    1988 Big Daddy Kane/ Rakim/ KRS1/Chuck D
    1989 Big Daddy Kane / KRS
    1990 LL Cool J
    1991 QTip (Tribe Call Quest )
    1992 Pete Rock C.L Smooth
    1993 LL Cool J
    1994 Nas
    1995 Biggie
    1996 Nas/ LL
    1997 Biggie/Mase/ Puff
    1998 DMX/ Jayz
    1999 JayZ
    2000 Jayz/Jarule
    2001 Nas/ Jayz.../JaRule
    2002 JaRule
    2003 50/ Jay
    2004 Nas
    2005 50
    2006 Fat Joe
    2007 50 / Jay
    2008 Max B........ non rap :Vybz Kartel n Mavado
    2009 Jay
    2010 ?
    2011 ?
    2012 Asap Rocky
    2013 Jay / Asap Rocky
    2014 ?
    2015 Asap Rocky

Kurtis Blow didn't have NYC on lock like that.

Grandmaster Flsh and the Furious 5 were dropping groundbreaking records like The Message, White Lines and Beat Street. Melle Mel dropped a 16 bar verse on Chaka Khan's I Feel For you and performed it at the Grammys in 1984. I don't see how you could say he wasn't KONY in 1984.

I know its a lot of opinions, but no way was LL Cool J KONY in 1993.

The crown was vacant in 1993. Nobody in NYC was seeing Snoop or Death Row.

well snoop ain't from NY, n LL was the only major ny artist to release in 93 and sell.

@ grandmaster flash n furious 5 i was'nt even alive then, fix it.
    Dabb on em, Dabb on em
    Dabb on em, Dabb on em
    Dabb on em, Dabb on em
    Dabb on a Hater like

Cam-gif.gif
  • Mr 202Mr 202 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO
    S2J wrote: »
    Lol @ DMX King of New York lol

Yall not really understanding man. Its not just
    'most popluar nigga from NY'. As hige as X (and Ja Rule) were, no, just no

And if your 'reign' is over in a year nigga u was not no king

Big, bc he came up with the idea
    Jay bc he Jay
    Nas by default after Ether but he was never built for that lane

50 stopped bein respected and was also never really respected internally

Im still standing by Big and Jay the only ever kings of NY

If the title really mean something you dont HAVE to award the shit arbitrarily. Niggas naming kings bc they held down a summer...

Bobby Shmurda was King of NY summer '14...
    Maino was King of NY when Hi Hater dropped

He went plat twice in one year, which is still a record I believe??? He was sold 6million TWICE in 98, then another 6mil in 99... He was also the main face of Ruff Ryders which was one helleva movement, dude was in big movies, he was popular in the streets and commercially... He was king in 97 and 99 without a doubt...

But he was signed to niggas that were signed to other niggas.a king has to own/have a kingdom..Biggie was signed to Diddy but he owned his own imprint(Undeas) which was home to lil'kim and junior mafia.
  • water ur seedswater ur seeds Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO
    Mr 202 wrote: »

Jay bc he Jay

If the title really mean something you dont HAVE to award the shit arbitrarily. Niggas naming kings bc they held down a summer...

He went plat twice in one year, which is still a record I believe??? He was sold 6million TWICE in 98, then another 6mil in 99... He was also the main face of Ruff Ryders which was one helleva movement, dude was in big movies, he was popular in the streets and commercially... He was king in 97 and 99 without a doubt...

But he was signed to niggas that were signed to other niggas.a king has to own/have a kingdom..Biggie was signed to Diddy but he owned his own imprint(Undeas) which was home to lil'kim and junior mafia.

Nah thats irrelevant in this statement, no rappers would be kings in that case... Only Master P lol Biggie was signed to Bad Boy who are a parent company to Sony who are distributed by Epic... In fact DMX was prolly in a better situation, Ruff Ryders were part of Def Jam who are distributed by Universal...
    'The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters.'

aUPgli.gif
    Tsotsi Cape Towneternal soldier
  • Mr 202Mr 202 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO
    Mr 202 wrote: »

Jay bc he Jay

Nah thats irrelevant in this statement, no rappers would be kings in that case... Only Master P lol Biggie was signed to Bad Boy who are a parent company to Sony who are distributed by Epic... In fact DMX was prolly in a better situation, Ruff Ryders were part of Def Jam who are distributed by Universal...

Nah Biggie was signed to Badboy BUT HE HAD HIS OWN LABEL (Undeas) which he co owned with BIG Un... Remember he dropped ready to die on badboy, then dropped lil'kims platinum plus album(hard core) on Undeas, Jr mafias(conspiracy)album on Undeas all those smash singles Get money,Get money remix,players anthem came from Undeas not badboy.cam and Charlie Baltimore were about to sign with them too before Big died. Bigs case is different.ruff Ryder's was signed to def jam which is owned by universal.
    So how is my point irrevelant? You gotta move like a Boss to be king.