Article: The video that will rip Chicago apart — and why you need to see it..

Options

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    @obnoxiouslyfresh why you laughing?

I read it out loud.

it made your bottom tickle didnt it
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/glogin?URI=http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/02/opinion/the-chicago-police-scandal.html?_r=2
    The Chicago Police Scandal By THE EDITORIAL BOARD

The cover-up that began 13 months ago when a Chicago police officer executed 17-year-old Laquan McDonald on a busy street might well have included highly ranked officials who ordered subordinates to conceal information. But the conspiracy of concealment exposed last week when the city, under court order, finally released a video of the shooting could also be seen as a kind of autonomic response from a historically corrupt law enforcement agency that is well versed in the art of hiding misconduct, brutality — and even torture.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel demonstrated a willful ignorance when he talked about the murder charges against the police officer who shot Mr. McDonald, seeking to depict the cop as a rogue officer. He showed a complete lack of comprehension on Tuesday when he explained that he had decided to fire his increasingly unpopular police superintendent, Garry McCarthy, not because he failed in his leadership role, but because he had become “a distraction.”

Mr. Emanuel’s announcement that he had appointed a task force that will review the Police Department’s accountability procedures is too little, too late. The fact is, his administration, the Police Department and the prosecutor’s office have lost credibility on this case. Officials must have known what was on that video more than a year ago, and yet they saw no reason to seek a sweeping review of the police procedures until this week.

The Justice Department, which is already looking at the McDonald killing, needs to investigate every aspect of this case, determine how the cover-up happened and charge anyone found complicit. The investigation needs to begin with the Police Department’s news release of Oct. 21, 2014, which incorrectly states that Mr. McDonald was shot while approaching police officers with a knife. A dash cam video that was likely available within hours of the shooting on Oct. 20 shows Mr. McDonald veering away from the officer when he was shot 16 times, mainly while lying on the pavement. Why does the video completely contradict that press release?

The question of what pedestrians and motorists said about what they saw that night is also at issue. Lawyers for the McDonald family say that the police threatened motorists with arrest if they did not leave the scene and actually interviewed people whose versions of the events were consistent with the video, but did not take statements. Last week, a manager at a Burger King restaurant near the shooting scene told The Chicago Tribune that more than an hour of surveillance video disappeared from the restaurant’s surveillance system after police officers gained access to it. (NBC5 News first reported this in May.)

The dash cam video might have been buried forever had lawyers and journalists not been tipped off to its existence. Mr. Emanuel, who was running for re-election at the time of the shooting, fought to keep it from becoming public, arguing that releasing it might taint a federal investigation.

Justice Department officials, however, said on Tuesday that the department did not ask the city to withhold the video from the public because of its investigation. That makes this whole episode look like an attempt by the city, the police and prosecutors to keep the video under wraps, knowing the political problems it would most likely create.

Fortunately, a journalist working the case sued for release of the video. When a county judge ordered the city to make it public last week, more than a year had passed since the shooting, and public confidence in the police, prosecutors and the mayor’s office had been exhausted.

All along, Mr. Emanuel’s response, either by design or because of negligence, was to do as little as possible — until the furor caused by the release of the video forced his hand. The residents of Chicago will have to decide whether that counts as taking responsibility.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-emanuel-mistakes-mcdonald-investigation-met-20151202-story.html
    Emanuel opposes federal civil rights probe of Chicago police, admits 'mistakes'

Mayor Rahm Emanuel said Wednesday he's opposed to a broader federal civil rights investigation into Chicago Police Department tactics in the wake of the fatal shooting of African-American teen Laquan McDonald by a white Chicago police officer, and acknowledged he made "mistakes" during the investigation into the incident.

During a morning interview with Politico Illinois a day after he announced the firing of police Superintendent Garry McCarthy amid widespread protests about the handling of the McDonald case, Emanuel resisted the call by Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan for a Justice Department probe into the Police Department's use of deadly force and the adequacy of its review of such cases. Madigan wrote to U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch on Tuesday asking for the probe, saying "trust in the Chicago Police Department is broken."

Emanuel noted the FBI and U.S. attorney's office have an ongoing investigation into the McDonald shooting and referred to the task force he created to look at possible police reforms. Emanuel tried to make the case that starting up another federal investigation would be counterproductive.

"I think an additional layer prior to the completion of this, in my view, would be misguided," he said. "And if you notice, they are doing a thorough job, given that they had the information two weeks after, just immediately after the incident. They are doing a thorough job, and hitting the restart button on a whole new investigation does not get you to the conclusion in an expedited fashion."

The civil rights investigation would be a much broader look at the department as a whole, but Emanuel said the investigation focused on the McDonald killing should take precedent.

"There is an ongoing investigation by the U.S. attorney's office here in the city of Chicago with the FBI. My view is that given the period of time they've had the information, like everybody else, I await their conclusions," he said.

As for the mistakes, Emanuel hinted that perhaps he could have released the McDonald shooting video earlier. Emanuel's administration spent months fighting to keep the tape of McDonald being shot 16 times by Officer Jason Van ? from being made public. The mayor has argued he didn't release the recording for fear of interfering with the investigation, though in ordering the footage released, Cook County Judge Franklin Valderrama ruled there were no grounds for such a position.

On Wednesday, Emanuel pointed to a policy in Cincinnati that requires video in police-involved shootings to be released unless the prosecutor there specifically decides it should be kept from the public. "I'm sure I made mistakes, and one of the things I made — mistake is a big term — but I'm sure I have," Emanuel said.

"We have this existing tension between the public's desire to know and know now, and the investigation taking more time and the integrity of that investigation. That's a piece of it," he said. "And I suppose, having looked at what Cincinnati does, we could have made that change in a period of time. But would that have answered and addressed some of the public's concerns about the police protecting the police or not letting the public, did it build up suspicion? That is a legitimate question. And then, therefore following the protocols, I could have changed it I suppose in the middle. And that's something we will look at."

The nearly hourlong interview in a room at the Willis Tower also touched on other topics. Emanuel was talking about the need for the Chicago Teachers Union to work with school officials to promote their common interests and avoid a strike when CTU officer Jackson Potter stood up in the audience and began blasting the mayor's education priorities.

"Why are you slashing the school budget and giving it to Bank of America, Mr. Mayor? That's outrageous," Potter said, also criticizing cuts to special education funding as he walked from the room.

"Thank you. I appreciate it," Emanuel said, before going back to discussing the need for changes to the way schools are funded statewide.

Emanuel also said he will not resign, despite calls from some activists. The mayor was re-elected in April.

• stringer bell
    Options
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-black-friday-mag-mile-fallout-1201-biz-20151130-story.html
    Michigan Avenue Black Friday protests cost stores 25-50 percent of sales

Activists who blocked the entrances to stores on North Michigan Avenue on Black Friday to protest the fatal shooting of a black teenager by a white Chicago cop may have split opinions with their tactics.

But their goal of forcing retailers to suffer economic pain on what's historically the busiest shopping day of the year was a success, according to unhappy store staff and managers who said Monday that Black Friday sales on the Magnificent Mile were 25 percent to 50 percent below projections.

Images of protesters marching down North Michigan urging a holiday shopping boycott dramatically reduced foot traffic while protesters who physically blocked shoppers from entering stores also hurt sales in a big way, according to the retailers, some of whom were critical of the low-key police response.

"We were down a lot," said Sarah Midoun, a sales associate at Aldo shoe store. "We were budgeted to make $37,000 but we only did $19,000 — customers told us they were concerned.

"If anything the police were kind of encouraging (protesters who blocked the entrance to the store) by allowing it," she said. However, she added that if police had been too heavy-handed, "people might have rioted."

Aldo's near 50 percent shortfall of its target mirrored results at other stores. At Men's Wearhouse, Black Friday sales were down from $19,000 last year to less than $10,000 this year, according to store manager Jimmy Llorente, who said some shoppers asked to hide from protesters inside his store's foyer. And at the Stuart Weitzman shoe store, sales were some $20,000 short of the $50,000 managers had projected, according to associate Marisol Tapia.

Managers and staff at a dozen other North Michigan Avenue stores declined to speak on the record with the Tribune, citing company policies that forbid them to speak with the media, and referring questions to corporate officials who declined to comment. But workers at each of those stores confided that their Black Friday losses were in line with those described elsewhere.

Only at two small luxury stores whose managers said they cater mostly to Chinese and South American tourists did staff say that sales were in line with expectations. Stores with multiple entrances on different streets reported the least impact, saying they diverted customers through side doors.

Determining the precise effect of the protests remained difficult. Nationwide, Black Friday in-store sales were down 10 percent from $11.6 billion to $10.4 billion as shoppers increasingly opted to shop online, according to research firm ShopperTrak. Miserable winter weather likely contributed to that trend in Chicago.

Further complicating the picture were the accounts of customers who told store staff on Saturday and Sunday that they'd simply delayed their shopping trips by a day or two to avoid the protest.

But even allowing for those factors, the effect of the protest on the city's premier shopping street was dramatic.

GPS gadget maker Garmin's flagship store was one of several that shut five hours early because of the protest. It saw its sales down 30 to 40 percent, general manager Slade Thackeray said. In-store sales are less important to Garmin, which uses the location to let consumers see its products in person.

Police did prevent activists from hanging a sign in front of the Garmin store about teenager Laquan McDonald's death and the yearlong delay in bringing charges against the police officer, and "I felt like they did what they could — they were just going with the flow," Thackeray said, "but it was disappointing that not all the people who wanted to get into the store could get in."

Of the protest, he added, "I don't feel like it was very legitimate. We should be helping the economy, not hurting it."

Thackeray said he hadn't registered a complaint with the city about police handling of the protest, and that he did not intend to.

Chicago Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said he wasn't aware of any official complaints.

"CPD is committed to protecting people's First Amendment rights, and our officers have upheld that commitment with honor. During demonstrations, destructive or illegal behavior was not tolerated, and individuals were held accountable for their actions while officers worked tirelessly to ensure public safety and safeguard private property," Guglielmi added.

The protests Friday were largely peaceful, with police making just a handful of misdemeanor arrests. While some shoppers showed sympathy for the protesters' cause, others managed to muscle their way past protest lines and into stores. Many said they didn't understand what McDonald's death had to do with them or their desire to shop for holiday bargains.

Not all retailers objected to the protests. Speaking Monday, Whitney Kelly, who works at the Dana Reed Designs jewelry kiosk in the North Bridge Mall, said sales on Black Friday were well below the $1,500 she'd expected to make on even a regular Friday.

But she added, "I support what the protesters did. What that police officer did wasn't right."

1e5e915c88b6d4e04ec5ba4ae1a90aca.gif
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago-politics/7/71/1139920/anita-alvarez-losing-hispanic-political-base
    Garcia wants Alvarez to quit; state's attorney's political base in jeopardy | Chicago Sun-Times

If State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez loses her Hispanic political base — along with black voters enraged by her handling of the Laquan McDonald case — what are her chances of surviving a contested Democratic primary against two challengers, one of whom is African-American?

It looks like the embattled two-term prosecutor may be forced to answer that question in her fight for political survival.

On Monday, vanquished mayoral challenger Jesus “Chuy” Garcia and six of the City Council’s 10 Hispanic aldermen demanded that Alvarez resign for taking 13 months to charge a white Chicago Police officer with the first-degree murder of the African-American teenager.

“As we seek now to heal our city and our county, and as we as a society seek to enact long-overdue reforms of our criminal justice system, we need law enforcement officials who are honest, fair, and professional,” Garcia said.

“Too much is at stake to allow Anita Alvarez to continue in the position of Cook County state’s attorney, and accordingly, we call on her today to resign immediately.”

Joining Garcia at the news conference were four aldermen: Susie Salowski Garza (10th), Carlos Ramirez-Rosa (35th), Gilbert Villegas (36th) and Ricardo Muñoz (22nd). Two other Hispanic aldermen — Roberto Maldonado (26th) and Proco Joe Moreno (1st) — also joined the call for Alvarez’s resignation, but did not attend.

“Ms. Alvarez’s record as the county’s chief prosecutor has been replete with actions that show a disdain for restorative justice and a petty vindictiveness wholly inappropriate for her office.”

Alvarez’s office later issued a written response to the latest demand for her to leave:

“I am a professional prosecutor and I am not driven by politics. I offer no apologies for enlisting the FBI to investigate Laquan’s murder because obviously the Chicago Police Department could not investigate themselves in this case. And I certainly do not apologize for conducting a meticulous and thorough investigation to build the strongest possible First Degree Murder case against Officer Van ? .”

Earlier Monday, Munoz said the decision to ask Alvarez to quit “transcends ethnicity.”

“We would be calling for the resignation of any state’s attorney who takes over 400 days to indict an individual who obviously committed murder,” said Munoz, Garcia’s political protégé, referring to the incendiary video of Officer Jason Van ? firing 16 shots into McDonald’s body while the teenager appeared to be walking away from Van ? and his partner in October, 2014.

“This issue is not about ethnicity. It’s about justice. People are looking at this and seeing that it was a miscarriage of justice that she took so long to bring the charges. How long does it take to investigate something that’s on tape?”

The City Council’s Black Caucus and African-American community leaders led by the Rev. Jesse Jackson Sr. have already issued a similar demand in an apparent attempt to boost the candidacy of Kim Foxx, the African-American former chief-of-staff to County Board President Toni Preckwinkle now challenging Alvarez in the March primary.

If Hispanic politicians join them in abandoning Alvarez, the incumbent prosecutor’s days are probably numbered.

Garcia is Preckwinkle’s floor leader. His demand for Alvarez resignation can only help Preckwinkle’s handpicked candidate Kim Foxx.

The only saving grace for Alvarez is the fact that the City Council’s Hispanic Caucus is divided on the issue.

“Asking for her resignation is not going to solve the problems that need to be fixed. That’s for the voters to decide,” said Ald. George Cardenas (12th), chairman of the Hispanic Caucus.

“What we need to focus on is reforming the system and working on things that should be worked on. There’s a backload of these cases that need thorough review. The criminal system is not working for the common man.”

Instead of focusing on Alvarez, the Hispanic Caucus is calling for City Council hearings on police general orders governing the use of deadly force. They want to review training and disciplinary procedures.

They’re demanding more extensive City Council briefings — including the playing of dashboard camera or body cam videos behind the scenes—before Council approval of police abuse settlements like the $5 million paid to the McDonald family before a lawsuit was even filed. They’re further demanding that the cost of police settlements be charged against the Chicago Police Department’s budget.

“We need to take it inside the body where decisions are made. Not overreact [by boycotting stores] on Michigan Avenue because that does the city a disservice. It says we’re incapable of reform and handling it ourselves. People outside the city who come here to shop have nothing to do with this. To be prevented from doing that? What does that accomplish? It makes the city look bad. It’s the wrong approach.”

Pressed on whether Alvarez still enjoys his support, Cardenas said, “I am reserving my judgment until I have all the facts. Not knowing all the facts, I have no reason not to.”

Rookie Ald. Ray Lopez (15th) said he, too, is not prepared to join the call for Alvarez to step down.

“Resignation is not enough. If the system is broken, it doesn’t matter who’s on top. We need to focus on the fundamental changes we need to make within the department and address some of the issues that brought us to the situation we find ourselves in today,” he said, noting that voters “will decide her fate in six months.”

Ald. Danny Solis (25th), a former chairman of the Hispanic Caucus, said he is endorsing Alvarez for re-election and focusing, instead, on the City Council hearings.

“I just don’t understand what she has done wrong. If there’s a system that allows her to operate this way, I want to deal with the system. What are the general orders? What took the state’s attorney so long to file charges? What is the FOP’s role? What about IPRA?” Solis said.

“We could replace the [police] superintendent and the state’s attorney. But, if we get a new state’s attorney and the system is still there, what’s the use? Individuals get shot. A long time passes before police officers get indicted. Settlements are made in the City Council. Council members are not privy to a lot of the information the corporation counsel has before he makes his recommendation.”

The fourth member of the Hispanic caucus still in Alvarez’s corner is Ald. Ariel E. Reboyras (30th), chairman of the council’s Committee on Public Safety.

Last week, Alvarez spokeswoman Sally Daly had explained the thirteen-month delay by arguing that said police-involved shootings trigger “long, meticulous and thorough” investigations that typically take anywhere from 10 to 20 months to complete.

“We’ve had an ongoing investigation with the FBI and the U.S. Attorney’s office since very shortly after the shooting occurred. We’ve been working diligently with our federal partners on the complex investigation. It was our intention to announce the decision to bring the charges with the U.S. Attorney’s office. But, that was not possible. Their investigation is still going on,” Daly said then.

“The court’s decision to release this video has changed the timing of this announcement but it did not dictate the decision to bring charges. With the video going public, the state’s attorney felt it was in the interest of public safety to make this announcement.”

Alvarez and Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy have so far borne the brunt of the outrage over the McDonald video with demands for both of their resignations.

• stringer bell
    Options
    Mayor Rahm Emanuel has also been under fire for keeping the video under wraps until after the April 7 mayoral runoff and waiting until one week after the election to settle the case for $5 million even before the McDonald family had filed a lawsuit. The video was released, only after a judge ordered the city to do so. Only then did Emanuel drop the city’s appeal.

The mayor and McCarthy have also been criticized for allowing Van ? to be stripped of his police powers, but remain on the city payroll for 13 months. He was placed on no-pay status, only after Alvarez charged Van ? with first-degree murder.

“We’ve all seen the video at this point, we know the horrendous murder it depicts,” said rookie Ald. Ramirez-Rosa had said at Monday’s news conference. “Anita Alvarez had that footage. She failed to act swiftly in the name of justice.”

Garcia likewise called Alvarez’s actions as a “miscarriage of justice,” focusing on the delayed indictment of Van ? . The surrounding controversy has fueled speculation that the case’s handling has been part of a concerted effort to protect city and county employees and officials — including Alvarez.

“It’s clear to me that there’s been a cover-up, that perhaps there was thinking that somehow this thing would go away, and that the video would never see the light of day,” Garcia said. “If that was the assumption, it was a miscalculation. It is clear that there has been a travesty of justice. The indictment, the charges that were brought about, should have occurred at least a year ago.”
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-jason-van-? -shooting-investigation-20151202-story.html
    Cop in Laquan McDonald video tied to another police shooting death

The Chicago police officer charged with murder in the shooting of a black teen also played a role in the alleged cover-up of another fatal police shooting 10 years ago, according to court records in an ongoing civil lawsuit against the city.

Officer Jason Van ? admitted as part of that civil case that he copied the work of other officers on the scene, which made his official report match theirs, without conducting his own interviews of witnesses to the controversial 2005 shooting of Emmanuel Lopez.

While his role in that case was relatively minor, it looms larger now as the Lopez family lawsuit heads to trial in February over allegations that Chicago police shot the 23-year-old janitor 16 times without justification and then concocted a story that they were acting in self-defense because Lopez tried to run over an officer with his car.

Van ? 's admission about his report in a 2008 deposition comes to light as he stands accused of murder in the October 2014 shooting death of Laquan McDonald, 17, who was gunned down as he jogged along a Southwest Side street several feet from police officers who had responded to calls that he was breaking into cars. Van ? shot McDonald 16 times, with most of the shots coming after the teen collapsed to the street.

Police at first contended that McDonald threatened officers with a knife, and Mayor Rahm Emanuel fought for months to withhold the police video of the shooting until a judge ordered its release last week. The video, showing Van ? shooting McDonald as he walked past officers, put Chicago front and center in a national debate over police misconduct against minorities.

Van ? 's actions in McDonald's death, his emerging role in the Lopez shooting and more than a dozen allegations of misconduct filed against him over the years that never resulted in discipline paint a vivid picture of what critics contend is a decadeslong refusal by city officials to properly police their own department.

In addition to community activists, politicians and police experts, many of those critics are lawyers who have brought dozens of misconduct and wrongful death cases against Chicago in recent years, resulting in payouts that total hundreds of millions of dollars.

Van ? 's actions "show the effort the Chicago Police Department will go to in order to cover up police misconduct," said the Lopez family's lawyer, Terry Ekl, who has successfully sued the department multiple times in recent years. "They were trying to keep a lid on how this shooting took place and to concoct a defense for shooting an unarmed guy 16 times."

Emanuel's press staff did not return calls for comment.

Multiple aspects of the official police narrative of the September 2005 shooting of Lopez have been challenged in the Cook County lawsuit accusing the Police Department of excessive force and lying to cover up officers' conduct.

Lopez was driving to his overnight shift as a janitor in a sausage factory when he led police on a brief chase after a hit-and-run fender ? . Police said he used his Honda Civic to partly run over one of the officers as he was trying to escape.

Van ? admitted under oath in 2008 that he was one of the first officers to reach the scene after the shooting. He was not investigating whether the shooting was justified. Rather, he was assigned to write the "general offense case report," which contains basic information of people involved in the incident as well as a narrative of the event.

But instead of writing his own narrative of the incident, he conducted no interviews and waited for detectives to hand him a typed narrative from their report, which he inserted verbatim into his own paperwork, according to his deposition.

His police report did not attribute the narrative to the detectives, and under questioning by Ekl, Van ? acknowledged that he did not know where the detectives had gotten their version of events.

Van ? testified in the deposition that despite listing the officers involved in the shooting as witnesses on his report, he didn't speak to any of them. When asked why he did not, he replied, "I don't know."

When asked who provided the information in his report, Van ? replied: "One of the detectives" who was investigating the shooting but said he didn't know which one.

Pressed on whether he understood where the detectives got their information, he said he didn't ask.

"No, because we were doing the — I'm not the investigator on this. I'm just documenting what happened. I think it was just easier to do it that way instead of me asking, asking, asking, and him answering, answering, answering."

Asked whether he knew if the detectives had interviewed the officers involved in the shooting, Van ? replied, "No, no, it's out of my pay grade. I don't question other officers."

Asked what he did with the detectives' document after preparing his report, Van ? responded, "Threw it in the garbage." Van ? also testified that the Lopez shooting was the only time in his career that a detective had ever given him a typed summary of events to include in one of his case reports.

A police procedure expert said Van ? 's admission in the case undermines the credibility of his report and suggests an effort among officers to get their stories straight.

In cases of potential police misconduct, officers too often collude to produce a single version of events, said Joseph Pollini, a former New York Police Department lieutenant commander who now teaches police science at John Jay College of Criminal Justice.

"You shouldn't go compare it to everybody else's reports to make sure it's the same," Pollini said. "That's not best practices. But it is a common practice."

Van ? 's questionable report writing came in one of the most bizarrely convoluted police shooting cases in memory. Police, prosecutors and the Independent Police Review Authority have all cleared the officers involved in the shooting.

Questions in the case have always focused on two of the officers involved — Brian Rovano, who police contended was pinned under Lopez's car, and Pedro Solis, the off-duty officer who initiated the pursuit of Lopez allegedly after seeing him driving erratically on Kedzie Avenue.

Solis, who fired 11 of the 16 shots that struck Lopez, admitted in his own 2008 deposition that he had been drinking before the incident. Neither the detectives' report nor Van ? 's report made any mention of the officer consuming alcohol.

Rovano's deposition, also taken in 2008, revealed another inconsistency with the original police version of how the shooting unfolded. Detectives wrote in a supplemental report weeks after the shooting that the officers opened fire on Lopez because Rovano was pinned under the front bumper of the car and was dragged about 10 feet.

But Rovano acknowledged under oath that he was not dragged by Lopez's car and that the Honda moved a maximum of 4 or 5 feet after it bumped into him.

In the report he filed, Van ? wrote that Rovano was "pinned under the front of the offender's vehicle."

• stringer bell
    Options

Another officer involved in the shooting with Rovano, Gabriella Wurm, testified in a deposition that the "lower half of his body" was under the car. She testified that when the shooting was over, Rovano "scooted back" and she helped him up.

Rovano testified in his deposition that he fired shots from his position pinned under the front of the car. But the autopsy showed the only bullet from his gun that struck Lopez entered his back on a downward angle.

The plaintiff's ballistics expert claimed that Rovano was actually on his feet to the side of the driver's side door when he fired his gun. In response, the city claimed Rovano was lying on the ground off to the side of the car with his legs on either side of the front wheel.

Cook County prosecutors opened an investigation and eventually sided with police, positing that a ricochet may have caused the circuitous route of Rovano's shot.

The family's lawyer, Ekl, and the city have sparred over numerous claims in the police reports. Most notably, the police claimed that the front tire was turning on Rovano's leg. They claimed his pants were marked with tire prints from the car.

However, a retired FBI expert hired by the Lopez family wrote a report challenging the police contention. The expert alleged the prints were made by someone hand-rolling an unmounted tire over a pair of empty pants laid flat.

Van ? and the on-duty officers involved in the Lopez shooting were all members of the targeted response unit, a uniformed division created in 2003 to saturate high-violence areas of the city to quell shootings. McCarthy disbanded the unit shortly after arriving in 2011.

Pollini, the former NYPD official, questioned the propriety of allowing officers from the same unit to prepare a report on an officer-involved shooting.

"It would be sort of a conflict of interest," he said.

Pollini, who sometimes provides expert witness testimony in lawsuits but is not involved in this case, said Van ? 's testimony is problematic both procedurally and as a matter of liability.

"If we see something like that in the deposition ... I'm going to go after it. In this particular case ... you're not really supposed to do a report that way. You're supposed to do it based on what you saw," he said. "It's something that would draw your attention. How could it be exactly the same? Did they concoct this thing together?"
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-jason-van-? -shooting-investigation-20151202-story.html
    Cop in Laquan McDonald video tied to another police shooting death

The Chicago police officer charged with murder in the shooting of a black teen also played a role in the alleged cover-up of another fatal police shooting 10 years ago, according to court records in an ongoing civil lawsuit against the city.

Officer Jason Van ? admitted as part of that civil case that he copied the work of other officers on the scene, which made his official report match theirs, without conducting his own interviews of witnesses to the controversial 2005 shooting of Emmanuel Lopez.

While his role in that case was relatively minor, it looms larger now as the Lopez family lawsuit heads to trial in February over allegations that Chicago police shot the 23-year-old janitor 16 times without justification and then concocted a story that they were acting in self-defense because Lopez tried to run over an officer with his car.

Van ? 's admission about his report in a 2008 deposition comes to light as he stands accused of murder in the October 2014 shooting death of Laquan McDonald, 17, who was gunned down as he jogged along a Southwest Side street several feet from police officers who had responded to calls that he was breaking into cars. Van ? shot McDonald 16 times, with most of the shots coming after the teen collapsed to the street.

Police at first contended that McDonald threatened officers with a knife, and Mayor Rahm Emanuel fought for months to withhold the police video of the shooting until a judge ordered its release last week. The video, showing Van ? shooting McDonald as he walked past officers, put Chicago front and center in a national debate over police misconduct against minorities.

Van ? 's actions in McDonald's death, his emerging role in the Lopez shooting and more than a dozen allegations of misconduct filed against him over the years that never resulted in discipline paint a vivid picture of what critics contend is a decadeslong refusal by city officials to properly police their own department.

In addition to community activists, politicians and police experts, many of those critics are lawyers who have brought dozens of misconduct and wrongful death cases against Chicago in recent years, resulting in payouts that total hundreds of millions of dollars.

Van ? 's actions "show the effort the Chicago Police Department will go to in order to cover up police misconduct," said the Lopez family's lawyer, Terry Ekl, who has successfully sued the department multiple times in recent years. "They were trying to keep a lid on how this shooting took place and to concoct a defense for shooting an unarmed guy 16 times."

Emanuel's press staff did not return calls for comment.

Multiple aspects of the official police narrative of the September 2005 shooting of Lopez have been challenged in the Cook County lawsuit accusing the Police Department of excessive force and lying to cover up officers' conduct.

Lopez was driving to his overnight shift as a janitor in a sausage factory when he led police on a brief chase after a hit-and-run fender ? . Police said he used his Honda Civic to partly run over one of the officers as he was trying to escape.

Van ? admitted under oath in 2008 that he was one of the first officers to reach the scene after the shooting. He was not investigating whether the shooting was justified. Rather, he was assigned to write the "general offense case report," which contains basic information of people involved in the incident as well as a narrative of the event.

But instead of writing his own narrative of the incident, he conducted no interviews and waited for detectives to hand him a typed narrative from their report, which he inserted verbatim into his own paperwork, according to his deposition.

His police report did not attribute the narrative to the detectives, and under questioning by Ekl, Van ? acknowledged that he did not know where the detectives had gotten their version of events.

Van ? testified in the deposition that despite listing the officers involved in the shooting as witnesses on his report, he didn't speak to any of them. When asked why he did not, he replied, "I don't know."

When asked who provided the information in his report, Van ? replied: "One of the detectives" who was investigating the shooting but said he didn't know which one.

Pressed on whether he understood where the detectives got their information, he said he didn't ask.

"No, because we were doing the — I'm not the investigator on this. I'm just documenting what happened. I think it was just easier to do it that way instead of me asking, asking, asking, and him answering, answering, answering."

Asked whether he knew if the detectives had interviewed the officers involved in the shooting, Van ? replied, "No, no, it's out of my pay grade. I don't question other officers."

Asked what he did with the detectives' document after preparing his report, Van ? responded, "Threw it in the garbage." Van ? also testified that the Lopez shooting was the only time in his career that a detective had ever given him a typed summary of events to include in one of his case reports.

A police procedure expert said Van ? 's admission in the case undermines the credibility of his report and suggests an effort among officers to get their stories straight.

In cases of potential police misconduct, officers too often collude to produce a single version of events, said Joseph Pollini, a former New York Police Department lieutenant commander who now teaches police science at John Jay College of Criminal Justice.

"You shouldn't go compare it to everybody else's reports to make sure it's the same," Pollini said. "That's not best practices. But it is a common practice."

Van ? 's questionable report writing came in one of the most bizarrely convoluted police shooting cases in memory. Police, prosecutors and the Independent Police Review Authority have all cleared the officers involved in the shooting.

Questions in the case have always focused on two of the officers involved — Brian Rovano, who police contended was pinned under Lopez's car, and Pedro Solis, the off-duty officer who initiated the pursuit of Lopez allegedly after seeing him driving erratically on Kedzie Avenue.

Solis, who fired 11 of the 16 shots that struck Lopez, admitted in his own 2008 deposition that he had been drinking before the incident. Neither the detectives' report nor Van ? 's report made any mention of the officer consuming alcohol.

Rovano's deposition, also taken in 2008, revealed another inconsistency with the original police version of how the shooting unfolded. Detectives wrote in a supplemental report weeks after the shooting that the officers opened fire on Lopez because Rovano was pinned under the front bumper of the car and was dragged about 10 feet.

But Rovano acknowledged under oath that he was not dragged by Lopez's car and that the Honda moved a maximum of 4 or 5 feet after it bumped into him.

In the report he filed, Van ? wrote that Rovano was "pinned under the front of the offender's vehicle."

gofundme cant make it better for this guy.

we should have some sort of way to track the people who donate and ask them how they feel after all the evidence proves him to be a ?
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/12/03/chicago-release-police-shooting-video-ronald-johnson/76732332/
    Chicago to release police shooting video of Ronald Johnson

CHICAGO — Mayor Rahm Emanuel has decided to release another police video that shows a young man being fatally shot by a Chicago Police Department officer.

The Emanuel administration had previously resisted releasing the video that shows an officer shooting Ronald Johnson, 25, on Oct. 12, 2014, but has decided to change its position after a Cook County judge ordered the city last month to make public police dashcam video of a separate incident that showed an officer shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald 16 times.

The city intends to release the new video of Johnson's killing next week, said Adam Collins, a spokesman for the mayor. Emanuel also said in brief comments to reporters that he planned to release the dashcam video next week.

Detective George Hernandez shot and killed Johnson, a father of five, on the city's South Side.

Police said after the incident that Johnson pointed a gun at them. But Michael Oppenheimer, an attorney for the Johnson family, told USA TODAY earlier this week that a police video of the incident shows that Johnson did not have a weapon and was running away from police when he was shot.

Johnson was killed when he was riding in a car with friends that was pulled over by police. Johnson tried to run from police and was chased by officers.

Hernandez pulled up on the pursuit of Johnson in an unmarked squad car. He fired on Johnson five times as the young man was running away, striking him in the back of the knee and in the back of the shoulder, according to Oppenheimer.

Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan noted the incident, as well as several others involving Chicago cops, in a letter to U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch, in which she urged the Justice Department's civil rights division to conduct an investigation of the CPD's policies and practices.

Oppenheimer has seen the video in his role as the family's attorney in a wrongful death lawsuit against Hernandez and the city.

Oppenheimer also had filed suit against the city to release the video to the public under the Freedom of Information Act.

The city said in a statement earlier this week that it was reconsidering its stance on the Johnson video in light of being forced to release the police dashcam video of the McDonald case.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-laquan-mcdonald-shooting-video-sound-20151203-story.html

Lack of sound in Laquan McDonald shooting videos 'raises a red flag'

A police dash-cam video that captures a white Chicago officer fatally shooting a black teenager 16 times has no sound, nor do videos from four other squad cars at the scene. But department protocol indicates all the cruisers should have been recording audio that night.

The silence is almost sure to figure into the ongoing federal investigation of the case, and it raises questions about whether officers were careless with the recording equipment or, worse, attempting a cover-up.

"When you've got a standup cop with nothing to hide, the dash-cam is his friend," said Gregg Stutchman, who has specialized in video forensics in California for 23 years. "But for cops who aren't quite as standup, it would make sense that they wouldn't want things recorded."

Several experts on the type of equipment commonly installed in police vehicles told The Associated Press that it's plausible for a single squad car to have a glitch preventing sound recording. But they could not imagine how an entire fleet of cars would ever lose audio at the same time and place by mere happenstance.

"I've never heard of it before," Stutchman said. "It raises a red flag." The more likely explanation is that audio was intentionally switched off, he said.

The silent video at the core of the shooting case in Chicago shows officer Jason Van ? stepping out of his car on Oct. 20, 2014, and almost immediately opening fire on Laquan McDonald as he walks away from officers. Van ? continues to fire on the 17-year-old even after he crumples to the ground.

On the same day that the video was released last week by the city, the Cook County State's Attorney's Office charged Van ? with first-degree murder.

Dash-cam video and audio should switch on automatically when a vehicle's emergency lights are activated. If the lights are not used during an incident, officers should turn on the system manually, according to a directive on the police department's website.

Sound can be central to understanding what happened at a crime scene, said Ed Primeau, a Michigan-based audio and video forensics expert.

In the Chicago shooting, audio would have enabled investigators to gauge the level of anxiety among officers as they pursued McDonald, Primeau said. And sound could have been critical to piecing together how things played out in the minutes before the shooting as officers spoke to each other or to a dispatcher over their radios.

"That gives you a whole play-by-play, like who is coming around the corner in a chase or which officer is going where," he said. "It can help with the entire narrative."

Without sound, it's hard to know just when the shooting started and stopped. Did the shots come in quick succession or was there a pause between bursts of gunfire? And just what did Van ? and fellow officers say in the seconds before Van ? opened fire? What, if anything, did McDonald say to them?

Neither police nor state prosecutors have offered a detailed explanation of why there is no audio with the video.

Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi suggested that the absence of audio was probably an unforeseen technological fault. In an email to The Associated Press, he wrote: "As with any technology, at times software issues or operator error may keep the cameras from operating as they normally should."

Ensuring the audio system is fully functional also requires that officers, usually at the start of their shifts, place a unit that includes a microphone and transmitter on their bodies and make sure it's synced with the audio system, Stutchman explained.

Some departments have a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to required recording.

Daytona Beach Police Chief Michael Chitwood described in a Justice Department report how one officer constantly claimed his body camera malfunctioned at the very moment he allegedly engaged in questionable behavior. Forensics later showed he had simply turned off the device. He was pressed to resign.

Said Chitwood, "Our policy says that if you turn it off, you're done."

Videos from five Chicago police cars have been released by the city, and none has functioning sound. Videos from three other cars that responded have not been released.

Patrol officers have never liked the idea of being electronically monitored, regarding it as something imposed from the upper brass, Stutchman said.

But, he added, in his experience, better officers are meticulous about making sure at the start of each shift that their audio and video equipment is working.

Darrel Stephens, executive director of the Major Cities Chiefs Association and a former police chief in North Carolina, echoed that. He said there are malfunctions, or in some cases, officers who forget to switch audio on.

"It's not a perfect technology. There are times that it doesn't work very well," he said.

Texas-based Coban Technologies supplies the dash-cams to Chicago, as it does to Los Angeles. Messages seeking comment from the company were not returned Wednesday.

Some of the Chicago videos released do contain faint buzzes, some of which sound similar to an engine or a siren. Stutchman said those are probably electrical pulses picked up by the dash-cam system that are not actual audio but could mimic sounds of sirens or engines.

The U.S. Attorney's Office has not specified what issues it is investigating.

Primeau said it's likely that federal authorities would bring in forensics experts to determine why no useable audio seems to exist, with other investigators probably reviewing logs for any notes about how the systems were operating before and after the shooting.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/obscure-knife-gun-cited-chicago-police-shooting-case-35599205
    Obscure Knife-Gun Cited in Chicago Police Shooting Case

It sounds like something James Bond would carry: A knife that's also a gun.

But it is the kind of thing police officers are warned about from time to time, just as they are about guns disguised as belt buckles and tire gauges and motorcycle handlebars modified to fire a shotgun round.

The knife-gun, which isn't well known outside of gun enthusiast circles, has pushed its way into the case surrounding the 2014 killing of Laquan McDonald, a black 17-year-old who was shot 16 times by a white Chicago police officer, Jason Van ? .

The city released more than 300 pages of police reports and other investigation documents late Friday pertaining to the case, including a December 2012 bulletin warning officers about a "revolver knife" and a reference to Van ? remembering the bulletin.

During an interview with his superiors about the sequence of events and his decision to use deadly force, Van ? said he was aware of throwing knives, spring-loaded knives that propel a blade and he "recalled a previously issued Chicago Police Department bulletin warning of a weapon which appeared to be a knife but which actually was capable of firing a bullet, making it a firearm."

Internal investigators searched the department's message center and found a bulletin issued in 2012 warning officers of a "revolver knife" capable of firing .22 caliber cartridges. That bulletin became part of the report.

Though a cursory Internet search by The Associated Press didn't turn up any references to officers in Chicago or other U.S. locales being shot with such a weapon, the bulletin could find its way into the argument Van ? 's attorney has been making — that Van ? feared for his own safety when he shot McDonald.

"I remember back in the late '80s and early '90s about a shotgun affixed to the driver's door," said Dean Angelo, president of Chicago police officers' union. "Police officers are warned about these things."

Police departments have been aware of the existence of knife-guns for several years. In 2002, for example, law enforcement officials in London voiced concern over a knife equipped with a firing mechanism hidden in the handle that allowed it to fire five bullets.

Three years later, the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training in California issued its own training bulletin that included photographs of a "knife that conceals a revolver in its handle."

Such weapons have been around for centuries, really.

An article on Guns.com describes a hunting knife and wheel lock pistol that was made in Germany in 1546. In the 1830s, the U.S. Navy came up with the Elgin pistol, which was a pistol with a knife attached to it.

According to the article, an Illinois company in the 1950s started selling a folding pocket knife that was also a gun. Then in the late 1990s, a company called Global Research and Development "designed the world's first production fixed blade knife that held a multi-shot firearm inside its grip," the website reported.

No listing for the company could be found and Guns.com reported that it seemed to have folded eight or nine years ago. Possibly that's because the knives did not prove very popular, with the article saying less than a thousand were made.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/editorials/ct-laquan-police-reports-edit-1207-20151206-story.html
    Chicago police: Protecting their own

You've seen it for yourself. Perhaps you wish you hadn't.

The dash-cam video shows Chicago police Officer Jason Van ? leaping from his police SUV and opening fire on Laquan McDonald, 17, who is walking away briskly on South Pulaski Road.

Van ? keeps shooting until his gun is empty, 16 shots in less than 15 seconds. For 13 of those seconds, McDonald lies crumpled in the street, mortally wounded.

The video does not show McDonald swinging the knife at Van ? and his partner in an "aggressive, exaggerated manner."

It doesn't show the cop backing off and McDonald advancing, raising the knife "across his chest and over his shoulder, pointing the knife at Van ? ."

It doesn't show McDonald "attempting to get up, still holding knife, pointing at VD."

That's what other police officers at the scene say they witnessed on the night of Oct. 20, 2014.

Yet not one of those officers fired a shot.

Within hours, police supervisors had made a preliminary finding that the shooting was justified. The department's official ruling, weeks later, was the same.

"Criminal attacked officer," says the report. "That officer killed criminal."

The report and the video were forwarded to the Independent Police Review Authority, which investigates all shootings involving police. Van ? was placed on paid desk duty in the meantime.

He remained on the public payroll until Nov. 24, when prosecutors charged him with first-degree murder, hours before the video was made public.

The Police Department's report says investigators watched the video and found it consistent with the officers' statements.

That is a mind-blowing falsehood, we learned late Friday, when the department released the police statements under the state Freedom of Information Act.

The images captured by the dash cam do not match the events described by the officers. Not even close.

The police union president's explanation is that the video "does not show what the officers on the scene were able to see."

"You seem to think that everyone there had the exact view of the dash cam, and that isn't the case," FOP President Dean Angelo Sr. told reporters Friday.

Angelo would have you believe that from another angle, McDonald can be seen menacing the officers with a knife instead of walking hurriedly away from them. From another angle, he's struggling to his feet, knife raised, instead of writhing on the ground and falling still.

No way.

The video is so damning that Mayor Rahm Emanuel's top attorney negotiated a $5 million settlement with McDonald's relatives before they even filed a lawsuit.

The city fought hard to keep the public from seeing it, until a judge ordered it released.

Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez hurried to charge Van ? with first-degree murder before the video was made public.

A federal grand jury is investigating broader charges, including possible obstruction of justice by officers at the scene, sources have told the Tribune.

Alvarez has pointed to that investigation to explain why it took her 13 months to charge the cop with murder.

Van ? was drawing a paycheck the whole time. If you think that's an outrage, consider this: The other officers are still on the street.

On Sunday, Justice Department officials confirmed that the department will launch a civil rights investigation into the Chicago police. That's welcome. As is every layer of scrutiny to come.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/department-justice-investigate-chicago-police-department/story?id=35622689
    Department of Justice to Investigate Chicago Police in Wake of Laquan McDonald Case

The U.S. Department of Justice is opening a civil rights investigation into the Chicago Police Department's pattern and practices, U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch said today.

The probe, which will focus on use of force and accountability within the police department, is the latest fallout from the shooting death of black teen Laquan McDonald and comes nearly two weeks after dash cam video allegedly showing Chicago Police Officer Jason Van ? shooting the teenager last year was released following a court order.

"What we are looking at is whether or not the police department has engaged in unconstitutional policing," Lynch said in announcing the investigation, which she said had been requested by several officials and activists.

The probe, which will be handled by the department's Civil Rights Division and the U.S. Attorney General's Office for the Northern District of Illinois, will particularly look into the use of deathly force and the accountability systems in place at the Chicago Police Department, including disciplinary actions and the department's response to complaints of misconduct.

There's no set timeline for the investigation. Lynch said she is expecting cooperation.

"It's in the interest of the people of Chicago, who deserve a world-class police department and constitutional policing," she said.

Lynch's announcement comes exactly one week after Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan sent a letter to the Department of Justice last week asking it to investigate Chicago police. Madigan said then that the McDonald case "highlights serious questions about the use of unlawful and excessive force by Chicago police officers and the lack of accountability for such abuse," according to a statement.

Lynch said building trust is one of the goals of opening the investigation/

"When suspicion and hostility are allowed to fester, they can build unrest," she said.

Chicago police have been under scrutiny since the video, which appears to show Van ? shooting McDonald 16 times, was made public on Nov. 24. Van ? is charged with first-degree murder, for which he pleaded not guilty.

Just last week, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced the city's top cop Garry McCarthy had been asked to resign. After announcing McCarthy had stepped down, Emanuel told reporters the former police superintendent had "become an issue rather than dealing with the issue.”

But Emanuel has also been shrouded in controversy. He and Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez have had to dismiss calls for their resignations amid lingering discontent on how the city handled the McDonald case. Alvarez has come under fire for taking 400 days after McDonald's shooting to file charges against Van ? and keeping dash-cam video of the shooting under wraps until a court ordered its release.

In announcing McCarthy's resignation, Emanuel said he had formed a five-person task force to oversee police accountability. The group will work to improve the independent oversight of police misconduct, deal with officers with repeated complaints and recommend the release of videos of police-involved incidents.

I hope y'all Chicago ? are happy the "Justice" Dept. is coming to town.. to tell you ? what you should already know.. That Chicago pigs are corrupt,criminal and racist.. That should supposedly make you ? fell better or something in the mind of the "Justice" Department...
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-ronald-johnson-video-20151207-story.html
    State's attorney to announce results of investigation into a 2nd fatal police shooting

Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez on Monday will announce the results of an investigation into a fatal Chicago police shooting that occurred a week before 17-year-old Laquan McDonald was shot and killed by a different officer.

The announcement in the case of Ronald Johnson III comes less than a week after Mayor Rahm Emanuel said the city would drop its fight against release of police dashboard video showing an officer shooting Johnson in the back on the South Side.

Alvarez did not indicate in a statement what the results are, but she disclosed last week that her office was investigating possible criminal charges in the case. She has scheduled a news conference for 11 a.m. at the criminal courthouse.

For more than a year, lawyers for Johnson's family have battled city lawyers over the release of the video of the October 2014 shooting, which bore striking similarities to the killing of McDonald by a different police officer eight days later.

Police have said Officer George Hernandez opened fire only after Johnson pointed a gun at him during a foot chase. Just as it had in McDonald's shooting, the city argued in court filings that releasing the video would inflame the public and jeopardize the officer's right to a fair trial if he was charged later, court records show.

But last Thursday, after a week of mounting pressure for transparency following the release of the video showing McDonald's shooting, Emanuel told reporters he would drop his opposition to making the Johnson video public.

"Yeah, we will do that next week," Emanuel said when asked about the video at an unrelated news conference.

It was unclear when or how the city planned to make the video public. A Cook County judge is set to hear arguments this Thursday in a lawsuit the family filed seeking the video's release under the state's open records laws.

Attorney Michael Oppenheimer, who represents Johnson's mother, Dorothy Holmes, was asked last week if the video would shock the public as deeply as the footage of McDonald being shot 16 times.

"This is not a Hollywood production. It's not whether one movie is better than Batman Part II," he said. "This is the brutal execution of two young African-American men who did not deserve to be shot."

The details about Johnson's killing have emerged amid continued fallout over the handling of the McDonald case. After the dash-cam video of McDonald's killing by Officer Jason Van ? was made public Nov. 24, protests have captured national attention and put increasing political pressure on Emanuel to make wholesale changes to the Police Department.

On the night he was killed, Johnson, 25, was in a car with friends when the vehicle's back window was shot out by an unidentified gunman. Chicago police have said that Johnson, a known gang member, resisted arrest when officers responded to the call of shots fired and then ran.

During the chase, Hernandez, at the time a tactical officer in the Wentworth Police District, pulled up in an unmarked squad car and jumped out with his gun drawn, Oppenheimer said. The video, which Oppenheimer said he has seen many times, shows that within two seconds of getting out of his car, Hernandez fired five times at Johnson as he was still running away, striking him in the back of the knee and again in the back of the shoulder.

Autopsy results obtained by the Tribune show the fatal shot traveled through Johnson's shoulder, severed his jugular vein and exited his eye socket.

Oppenheimer said the squad car from which the scene was recorded began to move shortly after Johnson collapsed in the parkway, so the officers' actions in the immediate aftermath were not captured. Police reported that night they found a pistol in Johnson's right hand — a gun that Oppenheimer described as "old and rusty" and completely absent from the video footage.

"There was nothing in his hand, not a gun, a cellphone, a bottle of water — nothing," he said.

The video was first turned over as part of a wrongful-death lawsuit filed by Johnson's mother a few weeks after the shooting. With that case pending, U.S. District Judge Edmond Chang granted a request by the city for a protective order barring the release of the footage and other sensitive information, records show.

In a separate lawsuit, Holmes' attorneys have asked a Cook County judge to order the video released under the state's Freedom of Information Act. Oppenheimer said he hoped that the recent ruling by Chancery Judge Franklin Valderrama ordering the release of the McDonald video — also over the city's objections — would weigh in his favor.

• 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    i thnik that if a cop is found guilty...

the cop should be made to repay all the money received from the date of incident
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://abc7chicago.com/live/23381/

ANITA ALVAREZ TO DISCUSS RONALD JOHNSON SHOOTING CASE...
  • J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The other video has been released to the public......
  • MasterJayN100
    MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the devil is busy
  • metal face terrorist
    metal face terrorist Members Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J.J._Evans wrote: »
    The other video has been released to the public......

Post it.
  • J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    its amazing how white people rather the police leave to let violence grow to show people need police...rather then have the good cops and cops in general do their job to protect without brutality.