SO according to critics how/why is president Obama the worst president in US history?

Options
Jamaican Curry Bwoy
Jamaican Curry Bwoy Members Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭
I feel he's done a lot of good in his time in office. Especially with lowering the unemployment rate. But a lot of people keep calling him the worst president. I don't get it.

Comments

• gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    U dont get it?
    U remember that song "one of these things aint like the other....."
    Look at a pic of all the prez' in history and youll c y they could even fix their mouth to say that ? especially after 2 terms of bush
    One of those things just doesnt belong
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Alot of people don't know simply history so they shouldn't really speak on it.
    I mean you ? Andrew Jackson who shut down national bank and caused a huge depression
    You have Ronald Reagan and his imperialists conquest of communist country's
    Just to name two
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's not but his foreign policy leaves much to be desired
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    he's the blackest.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's not the worst president, I give that honor to George W Bush, Richard Nixon isn't too far behind.

Obama has disappointed me in many ways, but he's nowhere near the worst.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    I dare say Obama could be a top 16 president. If it wasn't for his warmongering, mishandling of Obamacare, and sucking up to Israel, he would have made my top 10 list.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    anyone calling a current (or even very recent) president the "worst ever" is either ignorant or saying it for shock value.
    Especially with lowering the unemployment rate.
    not really sure how Obama gets credit for this, though
    Richard Nixon
    underrated because of him being a terrible human being
  • Paprika
    Paprika Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    4-way tie between Regan, Nixon, Bush and Clinton

Nixon. Aside from the Watergate scandal, there was the Vietnam War which he continued after opposing it in his campaigning. Senseless bombing and lives lost. Secret service members being utilized like the KGB.

There is a case for Clinton as well, over 400,000 people imprisoned during his two terms. Incentives to states for locking people up, increase of federal prisons being built and more policeman to service and harass people in their communities. Repeal of Glass-Steagall, 3 strikes, etc.

Bush and Regan are otherwise obvious.

• The_Jackal
    Options
    Bush isn't even that bad compared to others
  • kingblaze84
    edited November 2015
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    anyone calling a current (or even very recent) president the "worst ever" is either ignorant or saying it for shock value.
    Especially with lowering the unemployment rate.
    not really sure how Obama gets credit for this, though
    Richard Nixon
    underrated because of him being a terrible human being

Why is Nixon underrated? He kept the Vietnam War going on longer than necessary (it actually was never necessary). He continued the draft, which was unpopular.

And GWB may not be THE worst president (still debateable), but for the Iraq War disaster, he's gotta be one of the worst at a minimum
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »

Can you name five presidents worse than him?
  • The_Jackal
    edited November 2015
    Options

Easily. Andrew Jackson(disregarding pervious treaties, trail of tears, most importantly destroying that era fed reserve and using gold standard)

John Adams (Alien and sedition Act nuff said)

James Buchanan (Allowing three fifth compromise to continue, Dred Scott case, pushed to allow slavery in newly formed states)

Franklin Pierce (saw aboloionist movement as a threat to the great white nation Kansas-Nebraska act strictly enforcing fugitive slave act and basically setting the stage for southern secession

And Nixon
  • kingblaze84
    edited November 2015
    Options

Easily. Andrew Jackson(disregarding pervious treaties, trail of tears, most importantly destroying that time fed reserve and using gold standard)

James Buchanan (Allowing three fifth compromise to continue, Dred Scott case, pushed to allow slavery in newly formed states)

Franklin Pierce (saw aboloionist movement as a threat to the great white nation Kansas-Nebraska act strictly enforcing fugitive slave act and basically setting the stage for southern secession

And Nixon

You know your history, and I can mostly agree, though I think the Iraq War long term will be seen historically as more damaging to world security then the Vietnam War was. For that reason, I have Bush being worse then Nixon. As horrible as Vietnam was, the negative effects of that war I think won't be as brutal and far reaching as those from the war in Iraq. The demons of the war in Iraq has effected nations way outside the Middle East, while the Vietnam War's effects MOSTLY were contained in Asia.

I gotta look up more on John Adams and the Sedition Act though
  • janklow
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Why is Nixon underrated? He kept the Vietnam War going on longer than necessary (it actually was never necessary). He continued the draft, which was unpopular.
    underrated domestic programs aside from drug stuff. but the thing is, Nixon is demonized as the WORST PRESIDENT and he's really not. he's just a really ? person and that drags him down. easy to be underrated.
    And GWB may not be THE worst president (still debateable), but for the Iraq War disaster, he's gotta be one of the worst at a minimum
    the fact is that Bush II and Obama shouldn't really be rated, for good or bad, because we're still living out the aftereffects of their decisions/policies/whatever. you may notice that people have EXTREME opinions about them for some reason.

consider that presidents around the Franklin Pierce era may have sucked and no one seems to care or know anything about them... but they're SO SURE Bush/Obama are much worse.

• janklow
    Options
    this right here makes it a good post.

• The_Jackal
    Options

Easily. Andrew Jackson(disregarding pervious treaties, trail of tears, most importantly destroying that time fed reserve and using gold standard)

And Nixon

You know your history, and I can mostly agree, though I think the Iraq War long term will be seen historically as more damaging to world security then the Vietnam War was. For that reason, I have Bush being worse then Nixon. As horrible as Vietnam was, the negative effects of that war I think won't be as brutal and far reaching as those from the war in Iraq. The demons of the war in Iraq has effected nations way outside the Middle East, while the Vietnam War's effects MOSTLY were contained in Asia.

I gotta look up more on John Adams and the Sedition Act though

History major that's why and sedition Act basically forbid the press from speaking "malice" about John Adams and his office. Crazy seeing that he was a founding father and they just got finished with the American revolution not even 20 years ago
  • kenz_music
    kenz_music Members Posts: 3
    Options
    theyre all the same
  • kingblaze84
    edited November 2015
    Options
    underrated domestic programs aside from drug stuff. but the thing is, Nixon is demonized as the WORST PRESIDENT and he's really not. he's just a really ? person and that drags him down. easy to be underrated.
    the fact is that Bush II and Obama shouldn't really be rated, for good or bad, because we're still living out the aftereffects of their decisions/policies/whatever. you may notice that people have EXTREME opinions about them for some reason.

consider that presidents around the Franklin Pierce era may have sucked and no one seems to care or know anything about them... but they're SO SURE Bush/Obama are much worse.

Aight, well with the Vietnam War mess, Nixon was a ? president in general too. He promised to end the war and instead dragged it out for 4 or 5 more years. All this while KNOWING the war was unnecessary, so ? him.

And yeah Franklin Pierce and Andrew Jackson were worse then Bush morally and politically, but I actually heard some historians say a few years ago George Dubya was likely in the bottom 5 or 10 of worst presidents of all time. I have a strong feeling historians in the future will agree with that, his legacy has been pretty horrible. My dream is that Bush and Cheney get arrested one day for war crimes, but I'm satisfied knowing Bush can't even enter several countries now because so many of them have warrants for his arrest.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    In a poll of many historians in 2008, 61% voted George W Bush the worst president in American history.....98% voted it a failure. Not saying these historians are totally right, but I certainly see where they're coming from haha

http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/48916

HNN Poll: 61% of Historians Rate the Bush Presidency Worst

“No individual president can compare to the second Bush,” wrote one. “Glib, contemptuous, ignorant, incurious, a dupe of anyone who humors his deluded belief in his heroic self, he has bankrupted the country with his disastrous war and his tax breaks for the rich, trampled on the Bill of Rights, appointed foxes in every henhouse, compounded the terrorist threat, turned a blind eye to torture and corruption and a looming ecological disaster, and squandered the rest of the world’s goodwill. In short, no other president’s faults have had so deleterious an effect on not only the country but the world at large.”

“With his unprovoked and disastrous war of aggression in Iraq and his monstrous deficits, Bush has set this country on a course that will take decades to correct,” said another historian. “When future historians look back to identify the moment at which the United States began to lose its position of world leadership, they will point—rightly—to the Bush presidency.

- See more at: http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/48916#sthash.N0X2B8Yu.dpuf

• The_Jackal
    Options
    ? only vote bush in because it's recent memory. If you got together a million early American history scholars promise he wouldn't be that high up. Like Janklow said Iraq war was a mess but we really have to see how it continues to play out.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Critics of Obama in office are only critical of him in order to further their own political ideologies. In America, with the two-party system, those who excoriate the President are usually from, or sympathetic of, the opposing party. Many politicians govern without a conscience though. Their policies are usually for the benefit of the lobbyists and future of the party of which they belong.

Critiques are just a competition between the public relations teams of the respective party. Therefore, parties use the media to influence public opinion. The problem with that is that it's contrary to the way the Gov't was supposed to operate, where the public was supposed to influence the politician. I'm done.
  • janklow
    Options
    Alright, well with the Vietnam War mess, Nixon was a ? president in general too. He promised to end the war and instead dragged it out for 4 or 5 more years. All this while KNOWING the war was unnecessary, so ? him.
    first off, he's not really a ? president "in general" when you're citing one complaint. second... why are you so all-fired to prove Nixon was THE WORST because of Vietnam without talking about LBJ or Kennedy. because LBJ did a lot more to make that war happen than Nixon did.
    And yeah Franklin Pierce and Andrew Jackson were worse then Bush morally and politically, but I actually heard some historians say a few years ago George Dubya was likely in the bottom 5 or 10 of worst presidents of all time.
    they're trying to skip over the concept of getting some perspective to score partisan political points. look, it's not about saying whether or not W will be rated that poorly, it's about saying people rating W (or Obama) that poorly are doing it for reasons other than "serious historical analysis."
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Nixon was the one of the best presidents for the environment and wildlife. word. TR probz the best for nature tho.
  • kingblaze84
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Alright, well with the Vietnam War mess, Nixon was a ? president in general too. He promised to end the war and instead dragged it out for 4 or 5 more years. All this while KNOWING the war was unnecessary, so ? him.
    first off, he's not really a ? president "in general" when you're citing one complaint. second... why are you so all-fired to prove Nixon was THE WORST because of Vietnam without talking about LBJ or Kennedy. because LBJ did a lot more to make that war happen than Nixon did.
    And yeah Franklin Pierce and Andrew Jackson were worse then Bush morally and politically, but I actually heard some historians say a few years ago George Dubya was likely in the bottom 5 or 10 of worst presidents of all time.
    they're trying to skip over the concept of getting some perspective to score partisan political points. look, it's not about saying whether or not W will be rated that poorly, it's about saying people rating W (or Obama) that poorly are doing it for reasons other than "serious historical analysis."

I'm not a big fan of LBJ, Martin Luther King talked a lot of ? about him because of the Vietnam War and he was right. As far as Kennedy, he ? up getting involved in Vietnam and backing up the French, but he did want to leave the conflict alone, as far as I know. He was killed before he could do much more to leave Vietnam alone. Because Nixon failed to learn from LBJ's ? ups, I'm much harder on Nixon then I am LBJ. Nixon should have learned from LBJ's ? ups and end the war as he promised to do.

And as far as Bush being rated by historians these days as already being one of the worst, it's because foreign policy wise, Bush led a war that will without a doubt have horrible repercussions that will take decades, maybe longer, to settle down. I'm certain future historians will agree with the current ones, you will see for yourself one day. If not, oh well lol
  • janklow
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of LBJ, Martin Luther King talked a lot of ? about him because of the Vietnam War and he was right. As far as Kennedy, he ? up getting involved in Vietnam and backing up the French, but he did want to leave the conflict alone, as far as I know. He was killed before he could do much more to leave Vietnam alone. Because Nixon failed to learn from LBJ's ? ups, I'm much harder on Nixon then I am LBJ. Nixon should have learned from LBJ's ? ups and end the war as he promised to do.
    just going to hit you with this: Nixon DID actually end the Vietnam War. LBJ escalated it to what it became. so...

as far as Kennedy, you're basically giving him a pass because he got killed. fine. but if you rate what he did? sent advisors to Vietnam.
    And as far as Bush being rated by historians these days as already being one of the worst, it's because foreign policy wise, Bush led a war that will without a doubt-
    but you give it away yourself right here: you're making a prediction. this is why you either admit it's based on the right-now emotions or give it time.