Boom Bye Bye: Buju Banton Faces 20 Years on Drug Charges

Options
rusty shackleford
rusty shackleford Members Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in R&B & Alternatives
Jeffrey Donovan, the ShamWow guy, Lawrence Taylor, Jim Morrison...even quiet old Mickey Rourke's been known to indulge in a little South Florida celebrity arrest action.

Somehow Grammy nominee Buju Banton's legal trouble sounds considerably less incidental and a lot more serious than the arrests of other stars: the controversial Jamaican reggae artist has been in custody since Thursday on federal charges of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute more than five kilograms of ? .

(That's an amount worth either $15,000, $120,000, more, or free, depending on what fellow celeb signifies Banton's market discount.)

The charge stems from a case out of the U.S. Attorney's office in Tampa, where Banton, whose real name is Mark Anthony Myrie, will be transferred. Details in the case were not released.

Banton, who splits time between homes in Tamarac and Jamaica, isn't a stranger to notoriety. While heralded by reggae devotees as one of the most important voices for poor Jamaicans, Banton has faced heavy criticism, protests, and boycotts over lyrics that appear to advocate or endorse violence against ? in his most infamous song, 1992's "Boom Bye Bye," and others.

He was charged with helping beat six ? men in Jamaica in 2004, but a judge dismissed the case for lack of evidence.

His latest effort, "Rasta Got Soul," was nominated for a Grammy in the Best Reggae Album category on December 2 -- recognition that stirred up heavy opposition from the groups ? Men of African Descent, National Black Justice Coalition, and the ? & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.

A fall tour in support of the album saw many U.S. dates canceled by protests, though a Halloween night concert in Miami at the city-owned James L. Knight Center went ahead without promoter support and reportedly lost tens of thousands of dollars.

Debate has swirled over "Boom Bye Bye," helped, in part, by conflicting statements from Banton himself. The song was originally recorded in 1988, when he was a teenager, but released in 1992 while Banton enjoyed a string of hits in his home country. Supporters say he purposefully stopped performing the song, but a YouTube video from a 2006 Memorial Fest performance in Miami begs to differ. Then there's the matter of his signature on the anti-hate-speech Reggae Compassionate Act in 2007, an endorsement Banton denied, and the question of whether he was speaking of or for a culture, or expressing his own opinions.

For now, Banton has more pressing issues: if convicted, he faces up to twenty years in prison.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local-beat/Buju-Banton-Singing-Dade-County-Prison-Blues-79170397.html

Comments

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2009
    Options
    The homos have been on a persecution mission against reggae artist the last couple of years. It's the one form of music where homosexuality hasn't been able to permeate.
  • rusty shackleford
    edited December 2009
    Options
    so homos choked out his concert money sooo much that he had to start slangin'?

whatever his excuse is for being a hypocrite, he can marinate on it while he's scratchin' lines into his cell walls to mark off the years..

& to think he was on the verge of renaming his album "Rasta Got It Sold.."

lol
  • BOSS KTULU
    BOSS KTULU Banned Users Posts: 978 ✭✭
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Irony that he'll be sucking ? in prison.
  • rusty shackleford
    edited January 2010
    Options
    its usually undercover homos who hunt down other homos to prove their non-homoness... so yeah.
  • dtarv
    dtarv Members Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    Options
    do you guys not like the song becuz you are batty boys?cause i dont think any normal ya i am reffering to straights as normal would ? that much about A ? ? SONG did you guys ? when eminem said ? about homos on more then half his albums and wtf the kkk has been lynching blacks and ? and anything not white and straight for how long now?
    you should blaze a blunt go to one of his shows and see what that ? all about
    and BOSS KTULU have you even been locked up cause its not a bunch of guys ? more people getting killed
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    dtarv wrote: »
    and BOSS KTULU have you even been locked up

the boss ktulu account is still locked up LOL
  • rusty shackleford
    edited June 2010
    Options
    dtarv wrote: »
    do you guys not like the song becuz you are batty boys?cause i dont think any normal ya i am reffering to straights as normal would ? that much about A ? ? SONG did you guys ? when eminem said ? about homos on more then half his albums.
    i didn't like em before i knew he was a bigot.. his bigotry just solidified the deal. i don't pick & choose who's bigotry i'll tolerate according to skin color like you do because i'm not a hypocrite.

there's not one difference between a dread who hates ? people & a redneck who hates black people.. they both hate others for something that can't be changed..

so with that said, it must suck to be excatly like what you hate the most, huh?
  • eljay7i
    eljay7i Members Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ? BUJU most of thses dancehall cats are hypocrites
  • Skeratch
    Skeratch Members Posts: 1,395 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
  • adagreat
    adagreat Members Posts: 679
    edited June 2010
    Options
    eljay7i wrote: »
    Co Sign!!!!!
  • rusty shackleford
    edited June 2010
    Options
    eljay7i wrote: »
    eddie murphy murdered that whole fraudulant posture with one song..

I live in a shanty in the shantytown.
    We have no money so we had to sleep on the ground.
    I played the music. My father he dig a ditch.
    My mother she do laundry life sure was a ? .

But 'till we killed the white people. Ooh we gun make them hurt.
    ? the white people yea. But buy my record first.
    Ooh yea. Why don�t you buy my record?

We sing of freedom and ooh equality.
    But we really don�t care we just want money money money.
    We want to drive in a ? limosine.
    Get so high off ? we cant even see.
    and then we ? the white people. Ooh we gunna make them hurt.
    ? the white people. Yea. Ooh but buy my record first ooh.

When u go in the record store. We gunna wait outside.
    We gunna hit them in the head with a bat and make them cry.
    but 'till we ? the white people.

th_KilltheWhiteMan.jpg
    Skeratch wrote: »
    Free Base Buju:
    fixed..
  • Skeratch
    edited June 2010
    Options
    eddie murphy murdered that whole fraudulant posture with one song..

I live in a shanty in the shantytown.
    We have no money so we had to sleep on the ground.
    I played the music. My father he dig a ditch.
    My mother she do laundry life sure was a ? .

But 'till we killed the white people. Ooh we gun make them hurt.
    ? the white people yea. But buy my record first.
    Ooh yea. Why don�t you buy my record?

But we really don�t care we just want money money money.

When u go in the record store. We gunna wait outside.
    We gunna hit them in the head with a bat and make them cry.
    but 'till we ? the white people.

th_KilltheWhiteMan.jpg

fixed..

That Eddie Murphy song fails as does your "joke"

Your hatred of all things Jamaican is transparent, as is your attempt to call anything that opposes the ? agenda ? . Weak.

Free the general.
  • rusty shackleford
    edited June 2010
    Options
    That Eddie Murphy song fails as does your "joke"
    i knew you were slow as snail yoga but jesus christ.. apparently, i gave you too much credit.. you're dial up type of slow.. retire by the age of 29 & then you'll be on my level=)

But we really don't care we just want money money money.

this is an exact reflection of buju's perspective.. he sings about freedom, equality & wanting to be loved for who he is.. [but refuses to afford other's the same luxery..] right off the bat, his credibility is destroyed because that's a sure indicator of unharnessed, hypocritical selfishness.. you can't want equality & to be loved for who you are while @ the same moment judge others for who they are. it's blatant hypocricy. [but don't let silly details like facts & truth stand in you way.. you haven't yet]

so either he's that dumb.. or he's saying the things he says because he's appealing to the lowest common denominator [in this case, bigotry] to manipulate his own kind for financial gain while spreading hate like a disease..

"? the ? people... OOooh, but buy my record first.." is basically what he's sayin'..

we'll have the last laugh.. hide & watch..

dharmas a ? .. aint it?
    Your hatred of all things Jamaican is transparent, as is your attempt to call anything that opposes the ? agenda ? .
    it might seem odd to the average passerby that you equate my dislike for all things bigoted as a hatred for jamaica.. unfortunitly for you, transparent is your lame attempt to generalize my dislike for baseless hate as a prejudical blanketed hate for the country as a whole..

& all that trouble just so you don't have to address your own bigoted hypocricy..
  • aswadh
    aswadh Members Posts: 411
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i didn't like em before i knew he was a bigot.. his bigotry just solidified the deal. i don't pick & choose who's bigotry i'll tolerate according to skin color like you do because i'm not a hypocrite.

there's not one difference between a dread who hates ? people & a redneck who hates black people.. they both hate others for something that can't be changed..

so with that said, it must suck to be excatly like what you hate the most, huh?
    You're entitled to your opinion, but going by your posts in this thread it's clear you don't know what you're talking about. That so called homophobic song (Boom Bye Bye) you're referring to came out 17 years ago. It was a response to the killing of a boy by a ? . At that time there was a public outrage against pedophiles and some people see ? and pedophiles as the same. I see the differrence between these two 'deviants' because I'm educated, but not everyone can make that distinction. Buju wasn't even performing the song anymore. Maybe he's bigotted but it's not because of that old a*s song.

You calling Buju bigoted is similar to me calling Eminem racist because of those tapes he dropped years ago. People can change. It happened, let it go. If you still have a problem with the brother you should boycot his music and K.I.M. making threads liek this is a waste of time.
  • Skeratch
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i knew you were slow as snail yoga but jesus christ.. apparently, i gave you too much credit.. you're dial up type of slow.. retire by the age of 29 & then you'll be on my level=)

But we really don't care we just want money money money.

this is an exact reflection of buju's perspective.. he sings about freedom, equality & wanting to be loved for who he is.. [but refuses to afford other's the same luxery..] right off the bat, his credibility is destroyed because that's a sure indicator of unharnessed, hypocritical selfishness.. because you can't want equality & to be loved for who you are while judging others for who they are. it's blatant hypocricy.

so either he's that dumb.. or he's saying the things he says because he's appealing to the lowest common denominator [in this case, bigotry] to manipulate his own kind for financial gain while spreading hate like a disease..

"? the ? people... OOooh, but buy my record first.." is basically what he's sayin'..

we'll have the last laugh.. hide & watch..

dharmas a ? .. aint it?

it might seem odd to the average passerby that you equate my dislike for all things bigoted as a hatred for jamaica.. unfortunitly for you, transparent is your lame attempt to generalize my dislike for baseless hate as a prejudical blanketed hate for the country as a whole..

& all that trouble just so you don't have to address your own bigoted hypocricy..

Lol at you lecturing me on intelligence when you lack the ability to spell, reason, or articulate anything beyond weak emotional-ass "arguments."

Buju sings about freedom and equality for all humans, but he does not view gayness as a biological condition but rather as a choice. Therefore, his opposition to homosexuality is a moral opposition rather than a lack of egalitarianism. According to this worldview (one shared by much of the world), he is not a hypocrite at all.

Is he wrong? Yes, but that doesn’t make him a hypocrite .

Rastafarians have never called for the death of white people, and homosexuality and race are entirely different things. Fight it if you wish, but it’s not hypocritical for them to oppose something they see as immoral.

Your hatred for Jamaica is plain in the way you called anyone who opposed the ? agenda stupid (cultural bigotry), the way you characterized Jamaica as backwards, and your complete ignorance of Jamaican culture.

I know this has been pointed out to you before but it bears repetition because you ignore it every time it comes up:

Buju Banton did not write Boom Bye Bye, someone else did.

Boom Bye Bye was written in reaction to a predatory ? .

Buju Banton was just a youth when he recorded that song.

Boom Bye Bye is metaphorical not literal.

The homosexual community can’t tell the difference between Batty Rider / ? ? World and Boom Bye Bye. Fail.

Buju Banton no longer performs Boom Bye Bye.

This is one anti-? song in his extensive catalogue.

Boom Bye Bye does not appear in any of his official albums.

Buju Banton’s songs are 99% positive.

Free the general:
  • rusty shackleford
    edited June 2010
    Options
    aswadh wrote: »
    You're entitled to your opinion, but going by your posts in this thread it's clear you don't know what you're talking about. That so called homophobic song (Boom Bye Bye) you're referring to came out 17 years ago. It was a response to the killing of a boy by a ? . At that time there was a public outrage against pedophiles and some people see ? and pedophiles as the same. I see the differrence between these two 'deviants' because I'm educated, but not everyone can make that distinction. Buju wasn't even performing the song anymore. Maybe he's bigotted but it's not because of that old a*s song..
    all that's besides the point.. you basically said it yourself, many people don't make a distinction between ? & pedophiles.. i've only ever heard the term batty bwoy used in reference to ? men. reading the lyrics to boom bye bye will show you the word ? is strangely missing. as a matter of fact, you'll be hard pressed to find any reference to an adult/child sexual encounter in the song.. a song he's continued to perform up to @ least 2004.
    aswadh wrote: »
    You calling Buju bigoted is similar to me calling Eminem racist because of those tapes he dropped years ago. People can change. It happened, let it go. If you still have a problem with the brother you should boycot his music and K.I.M. making threads liek this is a waste of time.
    that's just it.. whether or not he changes, i still forgive him. further than that, i still ? with his music as long as he isn't saying things i aint tryin' to hear. thoughhe's gets no financial support until he makes things right.. the promotion of violence towards someone who hasn't hurt anyone else purely based on something they can't change is dead ? ' wrong.
  • rusty shackleford
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Lol at you lecturing me on intelligence when you lack the ability to spell, reason, or articulate anything beyond weak emotional-ass "arguments."
    yeah.. i'd attack my spelling too if i'd been sonned so badly..

you're th12404065612.gif

for the record: i wasn't lecturing you on intelligence.. i was lecturing you on common human decency..

lol
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    people actually believe that a super powerful being is looking down on earth with cosmic binoculars like "are they butt ? ? are they? Hey! HEY! stop ? each other in the butt! it bothers me!"

wtf
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I like how t/s included "Boom Bye Bye" in the thread title, because that happens to be my favorite Buju Banton song...the song that made me a fan.
  • Skeratch
    edited June 2010
    Options
    yeah.. i'd attack my spelling too if i'd been sonned so badly..

you're th12404065612.gif

for the record: i wasn't lecturing you on intelligence.. i was lecturing you on common human decency..

lol

You just keep proving your stupidity. I just calmly and effortlessly ripped your failed arguments apart. In addition to your spelling, I also mentioned your inability to construct a decent argument.

And now, since you lack the brainpower to even address the points of my post you're trying to change the subject.

You weren't talking about intelligence? You clearly disagree with yourself:
    i knew you were slow as snail yoga but jesus christ.. apparently, i gave you too much credit.. you're dial up type of slow..

lol. Only person you sonned is yourself, beeyatch.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    boom bye bye to batty bois...
  • rusty shackleford
    edited June 2010
    Options
    You just keep proving your stupidity. I just calmly and effortlessly ripped your failed arguments apart. In addition to your spelling, I also mentioned your inability to construct a decent argument.

And now, since you lack the brainpower to even address the points of my post you're trying to change the subject.
    do you expect me to respond when the arguments you pose are based on a group of people's sheer ignorance? for instance: Rastafarians have never called for the death of white people, and homosexuality and race are entirely different things. Fight it if you wish, but it’s not hypocritical for them to oppose something they see as immoral.

contrary to wide misconception, nobody chooses to be ? .. just as nobody choose to be black or white. the only choice a ? person makes is whether or not they're gonna live their life lying to themselves & the people around them. it should go without saying that lying to everyone around you is immoral.

being ? can't be immoral because loving another person is considered a good thing.

? is immoral because it involves hurting a person who is incapable of understanding a intimate relationship.
    You weren't talking about intelligence? You clearly disagree with yourself:
    I mentioned it.. It wasn't what I lectured you on... I lectured you on human decency... However, I do understand how you could get them confused considering the fact that you are obviously void of both.

example:
    Buju sings about freedom and equality for all humans, but he does not view gayness as a biological condition but rather as a choice. Therefore, his opposition to homosexuality is a moral opposition rather than a lack of egalitarianism. According to this worldview (one shared by much of the world), he is not a hypocrite at all.

Is he wrong? Yes, but that doesn’t make him a hypocrite.
    NEWSFLASH: a opinion shared by many still doesn't make it fact..

hyp·o·crite
    Pronunciation: \ˈhi-pə-ˌkrit\
    Function: noun

1 : a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion [being caught on tape trying to buy 5 keys]
    2 : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings [is against racism (a form of bigotry) while promoting the murder of ? people(a form of bigotry)]

emo006.gifsnail yoga.
  • rusty shackleford
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    I like how t/s included "Boom Bye Bye" in the thread title, because that happens to be my favorite Buju Banton song...the song that made me a fan.
    yeah.. i like how it conveyed my palpable excitement for the ".. comes around." part of "what goes around.." to get here.. as in.. "BOOM!!! Bye bye, Buju!!!"

Kiss_face_paint.gif
  • rusty shackleford
    edited June 2010
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    boom bye bye to batty bois...
    for someone so much in a hurry to say bye to people taking part in butt ? ', he sure did what he needed to be around a whole lot of them..

buju in 15 months:

Teletubbies.gif
  • Skeratch
    edited June 2010
    Options
    do you expect me to respond when the arguments you pose are based on a group of people's sheer ignorance? for instance: Rastafarians have never called for the death of white people, and homosexuality and race are entirely different things. Fight it if you wish, but it’s not hypocritical for them to oppose something they see as immoral.

contrary to wide misconception, nobody chooses to be ? .. just as nobody choose to be black or white. the only choice a ? person makes is whether or not they're gonna live their life lying to themselves & the people around them. it should go without saying that lying to everyone around you is immoral.

being ? can't be immoral because loving another person is considered a good thing.

? is immoral because it involves hurting a person who is incapable of understanding a intimate relationship.

I mentioned it.. It wasn't what I lectured you on... I lectured you on human decency... However, I do understand how you could get them confused considering the fact that you are obviously void of both.

example:

NEWSFLASH: a opinion shared by many still doesn't make it fact..

hyp·o·crite
    Pronunciation: \ˈhi-pə-ˌkrit\
    Function: noun

1 : a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion [being caught on tape trying to buy 5 keys]
    2 : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings [is against racism (a form of bigotry) while promoting the murder of ? people(a form of bigotry)]

emo006.gifsnail yoga.

You fail yet again. Try again.

Rastafarians have never called for the death of white people – fact.

Homosexuality and race are entirely different – fact.

It’s not hypocritical for someone to oppose something they see as immoral – fact.

Biologically rooted or not, homosexuality is a behaviour and a lifestyle. Race is neither. Race is a social construct that is visible to all. Racism has caused far more conflict and death than homophobia has ever caused.

Don’t get mad because you contradicted yourself, ? . Lol some more at you owning yourself.

Buju was stupid to allow himself to get set up like that, but he wasn’t buying he just got set-up by a professional informer – look it up. That, and even a devout Rasta can slip a little. Nothing to do with hypocrisy. Go back to your dictionary, little man.

Newsflash:
    It’s not hypocritical to oppose something that you believe is immoral. It has nothing to do with your twisted view of reality. Hating the homosexual lifestyle is not bigotry and has absolutely nothing to do with racism.

And again, race and homosexuality are entirely different. You have tried desperately to link them, but failed again.

And I’ll post this again because you still haven’t addressed it:

- Buju Banton did not write Boom Bye Bye, someone else did.

- Boom Bye Bye was written in reaction to a predatory ? .

- Buju Banton was just a youth when he recorded that song.

- Boom Bye Bye is metaphorical not literal.

- The homosexual community can’t tell the difference between Batty Rider / ? ? World and Boom Bye Bye. Fail.

- Buju Banton no longer performs Boom Bye Bye.

- This is one anti-? song in his extensive catalogue.

- Boom Bye Bye does not appear in any of his official albums.

- Buju Banton’s songs are 99% positive.

Free the general: