Nintendo Invents A Gamepad Built From A Touchscreen

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
A recent patent application envisions a game controller where a touchscreen is the main interface.

nintendo-screen-controller-patent.jpg

Nintendo has said precious little about its plans for the NX (other than that it won't be like a Wii U), but it might have hinted at what's coming through some recent paperwork. The console maker has filed for a patent on a gamepad design where a touchscreen would cover the entire front panel. You'd still have familiar elements like analog sticks (poking through the display) and shoulder buttons, but the usual front-facing buttons would be replaced by context-aware touch. The move would give you the adaptability of a smartphone interface with the primary controls you're used to in a TV system -- you could even use the controller on its side, or get visual effects when you press buttons. It wouldn't require a gigantic body like the Wii U's gamepad, either, and a card slot could take game data directly.

This is just an application, and there's no certainty that Nintendo will use this design any time soon, if at all. However, as The Verge notes, the would-be patent does line up with rumors that Nintendo will use Sharp's free-form displays in a future product. Theoretically, this could be the technology behind the NX's standard-issue gamepad. Moreover, the Wall Street Journal has heard that the NX would include a "mobile unit" that could be used separately from the main console. Given the presence of that card slot, it's possible that you could play titles solely on the gamepad and take it with you -- who needs separate TV and handheld consoles when your NX is both at the same time? The finished machine could be far less exciting, but it's evident that Nintendo has at least been thinking about non-traditional hardware.

Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »
    Nintendo is patenting all kinds of ? . I wish they would patent some new ip's.

Splatoon is killing everything right now and Xenoblade Chronicles X has massive acclaim from both users and critics. Expect more risks to be taken going forward.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I still want an M Rated Mario game..
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Good, they're the leading innovator in their space, imagine if they had patented the motion technology MS & Sony bit for their Wii copycats....

What Wii copy cats? EyeToy is the first motion device in gaming as far as consoles and both Sega and Sony were working on motion controllers way before the Wii. Check youtube for the PS2 motion controller that was going to be used with the EyeToy. They convinced the world that they created motion controls though and the Vita had a touch screen first anyway.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

Splatoon is killing everything right now and Xenoblade Chronicles X has massive acclaim from both users and critics. Expect more risks to be taken going forward.

LOL@ risks. Splatoon was originally a Mario game (surprise) and XCX is far from risk taking when Xenogears came out int he 90s. XCX also has a lot of criticism for its bland and empty world.Plenty of games that have better reviews than XCX.
  • brown321
    brown321 Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options

lol just cuz you don't like em doing mean they ain't new.

I don't know why people want Nintendo to make games just like everybody else is making anyway.

Even if they did y'all still wouldn't buy the games.

LOL@ risks. Splatoon was originally a Mario game (surprise) and XCX is far from risk taking when Xenogears came out int he 90s. XCX also has a lot of criticism for its bland and empty world.Plenty of games that have better reviews than XCX.

Splatoon didn't start out as a Mario game. They considered as they should have making it a Mario game and it was quickly shot down.

And anyone saying X is empty has never played it or is an idiot there's enemies and ? to do all over that game.

What is it about Nintendo that brings out the clowns?
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    brown321 wrote: »

lol just cuz you don't like em doing mean they ain't new.

I don't know why people want Nintendo to make games just like everybody else is making anyway.

Even if they did y'all still wouldn't buy the games.

Splatoon didn't start out as a Mario game. They considered as they should have making it a Mario game and it was quickly shot down.

And anyone saying X is empty has never played it or is an idiot there's enemies and ? to do all over that game.

What is it about Nintendo that brings out the clowns?

'it's a kids system ' is the main argument
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seems gimmicky to me. I'm all for innovation, but I don't really see how this idea will improve the console gaming experience.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If there is something to learn from this generation it's that gamers love a conventional controller. PS4 and X1 controllers are the best ever.
  • Broddie
    edited December 2015
    Options

LOL@ risks.Splatoon was originally a Mario game (surprise) and XCX is far from risk taking when Xenogears came out int he 90s. XCX also has a lot of criticism for its bland and empty world.Plenty of games that have better reviews than XCX.

No it was not and the Xeno series is extremely niche. Which is why it's a risk.

I'll go on and just leave this link here:
    http://www.gamerankings.com/wii-u/701151-xenoblade-chronicles-x/index.html
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Splatoon aint killing everything bruh. I heard more ? talking and seen more ? playing Wii bowling tenfold than splatoon and Xenoblade combined.
  • Broddie
    edited December 2015
    Options

Splatoon aint killing everything bruh. I heard more ? talking and seen more ? playing Wii bowling tenfold than splatoon and Xenoblade combined.

Let's see:

Goes up against COD, Halo and Destiny in their own element (best shooter, best multiplayet) and walks away victorious

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/12/03/heres-list-game-awards-2015-winners/#/slide/1

Has almost singlehandedly helped sustain the japanese console market since release and is still going strong

http://wiiudaily.com/2015/12/nintendo-sells-out-of-its-splatoon-wii-u-bundles-in-japan/

Continues to break new stride by putting up big numbers in European countries were traditionally new Nintendo IPs have gone ignored

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/nintendo-sells-huge-in-france-splatoon-animal-crossing-and-xenoblade-a-huge-success/

Has sold over 2.5 million copies worldwide since the summer as a new IP exclusive to the console with the lowest worldwide install base.

I mean the facts say otherwise.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »
    I still want an M Rated Mario game..

"ITSA MEEE, MAAARIO...MUTHAFUCCAS!!!"
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Let's see:

Goes up against COD, Halo and Destiny in their own element (best shooter, best multiplayet) and walks away victorious

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/12/03/heres-list-game-awards-2015-winners/#/slide/1

Has almost singlehandedly helped sustain the japanese console market since release and is still going strong

http://wiiudaily.com/2015/12/nintendo-sells-out-of-its-splatoon-wii-u-bundles-in-japan/

Continues to break new stride by putting up big numbers in European countries were traditionally new Nintendo IPs have gone ignored

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/nintendo-sells-huge-in-france-splatoon-animal-crossing-and-xenoblade-a-huge-success/

Has sold over 2.5 million copies worldwide since the summer as a new IP exclusive to the console with the lowest worldwide install base.

Bruh destiny won 180 awards, that dont mean ? . You talking about Europe and Japan. How many people you know play splatoon? My ? im from America, also Europeans eat beans for breakfast and I wont even start with Japanese, so they taste in products dont really move me. Im not saying its not a good, great or fun game but bruh you exaggerating talking about its killing everything.
  • Broddie
    edited December 2015
    Options

Let's see:

Bruh destiny won 180 awards, that dont mean ? . You talking about Europe and Japan. How many people you know play splatoon? My ? im from America, also Europeans eat beans for breakfast and I wont even start with Japanese, so they taste in products dont really move me. Im not saying its not a good, great or fun game but bruh you exaggerating talking about its killing everything.

Everybody I know that has a Wii U (about 8 people) has been playing that game since June.

Destiny is on how many platforms again? Splatoon is on ONE and a rather unpopular one at that yet it has crushed any other new IP console exclusive this year with it's performance across all 3 regions.

It's closest comp was one exception (Bloodborne) and that exception has sold less than Splatoon on a platform with twice the install base of Splatoon's. It also won 2 of the biggest catagories at the biggest video game awards showcase of all against really strong rivals.

That's undeniably big success there especially cobsidering the game is only 6 months old and still having increases in sales worldwide. Meaning it has more gas left in the tank. Which is crazy cause so far the attach rate of that game with Wii U users all over the world (this includes America) has been somewhat unprecedented. Whereas Bloodborne worldwide sales topped out in Sept.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/82965/splatoon/

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/82937/bloodborne/

What you're doing is trying to use personal anecdotes to back up the notion that this game is not a machine. The problem with that is the actual analytical data completely says otherwise and I'm sorry but I believe numbers and actual concrete facts as direct evidence over a personal anecdote anyday.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm so glad I don't have arguments with Broddie.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    lol @ the Bloodborne/Splatoon comparison.

Bloodborne is a niche game that everyone knows would only attract a certain segment of the install base.

Splatoon on the other hand is the very type of game the Nintendo thrives on and the exact type of game that the majority of the Wii install base would support.

I don't even know what the discussion is about but comparing sales numbers or install base purchases between those two games is just dumb. It ain't even apples and oranges. It's apples and prime rib.
  • Broddie
    Options
    I thought my writing is simple enough to comprehend but I guess some some people's reading comprehension still has a long way to go.

Let me put this as clearly as possible for the people that are too dense to comprehend.

Bloodborne is a niche game. Ok who said otherwise?

Peep game tho. Bloodborne was a game that came for a console that at the time had users hungry for an engaging exclusive. Like Splatoon.

Bloodborne has been out for less than a year like Splatoon. Bloodborne had enough appeal to appeal to millions of gamers across Japan and the US the two prime regions for video games. Like Splatoon.

Because of this appeal Bloodborne has outpaced many other console exclusive new IPs (i.e.: Sunset Overdrive) greatly sales wise. The only other console exclusive new IP to be on it's level in those terms? Splatoon. Hence the comparison.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I thought my writing is simple enough to comprehend but I guess some some people's reading comprehension still has a long way to go.

Let me put this as clearly as possible for the people that are too dense to comprehend.

Bloodborne is a niche game. Ok who said otherwise?

Peep game tho. Bloodborne was a game that came for a console that at the time had users hungry for an engaging exclusive. Like Splatoon.

Bloodborne has been out for less than a year like Splatoon. Bloodborne had enough appeal to appeal to millions of gamers across Japan and the US the two prime regions for video games. Like Splatoon.

Because of this appeal Bloodborne has outpaced many other console exclusive new IPs (i.e.: Sunset Overdrive) greatly sales wise. The only other console exclusive new IP to be on it's level in those terms? Splatoon. Hence the comparison.

Your writing is simple and your point is stupid.

It's irrelevant that Bloodborne has outpaced the weak ass console exclusive IPs out at this point. One of the biggest complaints about this generation so far is the weakness of exclusives in general.

The fact still remains that people buy Nintendo systems for the 1st party content and the extremely good party/multiplayer games. Splatoon is an example of the latter. The majority of the install base of the Wii are going to go for that game. As good as Bloodborne might be and as much attention as it's gotten, it's not the type of game that going to attract the majority of PS4 players. It just isn't. So trying to argue that Splatoon is a beast because it's outselling a niche game is stupid. Trying to use the larger install base of the PS4 over the Wii is stupid. Yes, they are both console exclusive games and you using that as the basis of your argument for shooting down what the other guy said is stupid. You may be completely right, but your argument for it is dumb.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont want a touch screen controller that ? going to be done within 5 minutes
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont want a touch screen controller that ? going to be done within 5 minutes

Lol could you imagine playin' Street Fighter on it with them button bashin' ?