Michael Jackson’s ‘Thriller’ Is The First Album Certified 30 Times Platinum

Options
13»

Comments

• 270crownst
    270crownst Members Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And his jacket game is second to none!who remembers his la gear kicks?
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    There is Michael and than there's everybody else.
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This thread has potential
  • 270crownst
    270crownst Members Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Billie Jean performance in Toronto during the victory tour.that glide in circle is sick at the end!
    https://youtu.be/WR6PTRBxZd8
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So in other words Eminiem sold more albums than nas to nas not touching him? ? outta here nas is better than eminiem. Let me know when MJ plays nearly every damn instrument on his album, writes the majority of his hit albums.

As a full around artist Stevie Wonder >>>>>>
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    So in other words Eminiem sold more albums than nas to nas not touching him? ? outta here nas is better than eminiem. Let me know when MJ plays nearly every damn instrument on his album, writes the majority of his hit albums.

Yeah but part of being an "artist" is performance and nobody can perform like Michael Jackson. For two reasons;

The first reason is because nobody can command the stage like Michael Jackson

The second reason is that very few artists/singers/musicians have as many hits as Michael Jackson. MJ has hits from when he was a kid on Motown (I Want You Back came out in 1969) all the way up to the 90s. He can perform #1 songs for an hour. Most artists can't do that.
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

lol you sound mad as hell
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    edited December 2015
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

Yeah but part of being an "artist" is performance and nobody can perform like Michael Jackson. For two reasons;

The second reason is that very few artists/singers/musicians have as many hits as Michael Jackson. MJ has hits from when he was a kid on Motown (I Want You Back came out in 1969) all the way up to the 90s. He can perform #1 songs for an hour. Most artists can't do that.

No doubt MJ has more hits and he can dance and sing better than any aritst on stage. But Stevie wrote most of his ? . MJ couldn't write his hits alone nor could he play multiple instruments on an album cut. Another part of a live performance outside of dancing is playing instruments. Stevie can play the ? outta multiple instruments live. I saw him in october he played around 4 or 5 different instruments outside singing.

If MJ had to write 75 yo 80% of his songs like stevie he wouldn't have as many hits. Thats why again as an artist Stevie >>> MJ. Imagine if tomorrow you heard biggie or nas only wrote 15% of their bars. ? would riot and go crazy.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No doubt MJ has more hits and he can dance and sing better than any aritst on stage. But Stevie wrote most of his ? . MJ couldn't write his hits alone nor could he play multiple instruments on an album cut. Another part of a live performance outside of dancing is playing instruments. Stevie can play the ? outta multiple instruments live. I saw him in october he played around 4 or 5 different instruments outside singing.

If MJ had to write 75 yo 80% of his songs like stevie he wouldn't have as many hits. Thats why again as an artist Stevie >>> MJ. Imagine if tomorrow you heard biggie or nas only wrote 15% of their bars. ? would riot and go crazy.

So rappers that don't make their own beats ain't the greates because of that?

? it, K. West is the best rapper of all time then.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

So rappers that don't make their own beats ain't the greates because of that?

? it, K. West is the best rapper of all time then.

But to flip it on you if kanye had all of his hits ghost written he wouldn't be one of the best. Same with any top 5 rapper. This is why drake while having a great year dropped in peoples minds on their top rapper list cause he had ghost writers.

MJ danced and sang that was it. Sales records and his performance at a live show nobody can match him. But as an all around artist he can't top stevie who literally did it all. Look at the writing credits on thriller and see how many songs he wrote. Few of them.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    ? ? from Connecticut
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    ? ? from Connecticut

says the bcottons ymcmb stan protoge take off that lil wayne cape out your avitar.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Black Excellence
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    White folk talm bout the only artists bigger than Mike is the Beatles.

GTFOH...Mike the GAWD .!

Whenever they say that, I tell them that Mike owned The Beatles entire music catalogue when he died, and that his estate owns it to this day. You can usually smell the salt afterwards.

tumblr_inline_nm9jjsDfZi1qaxan0.gif
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was a kid when this came out but I still remember it

My dad kept it on repeat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4tpuu-Up90

Mike was capable of making hits no matter the musical era
  • SlimRemy
    SlimRemy Members Posts: 149 ✭✭
    Options
    I'm pretty sure Thriller is one of the few things artistically that's not subjective. I'm convinced the universe aligned when the album was created and released. (like a musical 1992 Dream Team) You can debate his "traditional" musicianship, however people who do, neglect the fact that his dancing was an "instrument" in itself.

He may have not have physically played all of the instruments, but he externalized them in a way no one had prior to him, and numerous pop stars have been emulating since. He literally personifies artistry. If Jimi Hendrix is a guitar virtuoso, then Michael is a dancing virtuoso. And he like Stevie Wonder was a child prodigy.

His dancing is what his music looks like. If you watch the Motown 25 performance we get to see him doing the Moonwalk, but people often overlook all the dancing he was doing the whole time. All the subtle slides and the precision in movement is mind boggling. Even him wearing that jacket was a preview of where he was to take it, as he again externalized music. It looks like a music visualizer.

There's never been anything like him before. It's no coincidence that he revolutionized the "music video." He impacted all mediums. It started with the music, but he spilled into film and the world of fashion.

In the "Don't Stop til You Get Enough" he erupts like a star (musical star of love). And it might have went past everyone because that's a foreshadowing of what was to come. Even how he sings on it is pure feeling, but the music is so feel good. It sounds very pure and "light-hearted." It's something that everyone of all ages can sing and dance along to. "Rock With You" is a little more grown up, but sexy, romantic, and again pure. It's just him dancing with that simple green light. He's even wearing that sequin he would eventually wear in the Motown 25 "Billie Jean" performance. By pure, I'm not saying "puritanical" but pure as in where it's coming from. It sounds like the way you'd feel if you got to dance with that one person you always had a crush on. It's a universal feeling. The coldest "? " to the most deplorable "man-eater," temporarily forgets for the length of that song; and remembers that feeling.

All of what was before and everything that was to follow could be found in that "Motown 25" performance. To this day I still believe in love (magic) as a result of that. I wasn't even alive when the performance was originally shown, but every time I see it, for the length of however many times I watch it on repeat I forget that I'm 28, feel like I'm five and it's like watching a musical superhero.

He's the standard. Thriller is the musical standard. The "King of Pop" is unanimous. ALL people and cultures sing and dance. He's the best at it, and he and his team were the best at making the music everyone will sing and dance to for as long as we have the ability to do so. It's Forever.
  • The Hue
    The Hue Members Posts: 760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The GOAT entertainer.
    MJ

The Field
  • harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Timeless classic.

Every song on it is hit; even the non-single songs get radio play.
  • Musically..Put!
    Musically..Put! Members Posts: 6
    Options
    Thriller will forever remain a musical landmark album. No other artist from Elvis to the Beatles is touching that!
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    only ? to sell more albums than Mike are the Beatles and Elvis and they aint ? with the Gawd Michael so ? them
  • MiamiNights
    MiamiNights Members Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The system trying to buy up adele albums,you know they'll be trying hard for years lol.
    only ? to sell more albums than Mike are the Beatles and Elvis and they aint ? with the Gawd Michael so ? them

If Elvis didn't steal his songs,style from the black man,he wouldn't of been ? .