CHRISTIANS, ANSWER THIS FOR ME: GENESIS 1, 26-27 VS GENESIS 2, 5-7

Options
MARIO_DRO
MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
@DoUwant2go2Heaven AND OTHERS, ANSWER THIS FOR ME

GEN 1, 26-27, THE BIBLE SAYS THAT ? MADE MAN IN HIS IMAGE

OK, GO TO GEN 2, 5-7, THE BIBLE SAYS THAT THERE WAS NOT A MAN TO TILL THE GROUND AND HE FORMED MAN IN VERSE 7 AND DIDNT MAKE EVEN TIL VERSE 22

SO WHO WERE THOSE MEN AND WOMEN THAT WERE CREATED IN VERSE 26?

SO HOW DID "WE" COME FOM ADAM AND EVE?

Comments

• Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The second chapter is a more in depth look at what happened during creation on the first chapter. Basically from the first chapter to the second is not following a chronological time line, if that makes sense.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The second chapter is a more in depth look at what happened during creation on the first chapter. Basically from the first chapter to the second is not following a chronological time line, if that makes sense.

Genesis 1 - was a song and specifically song in hebrew (was a traditional song until written much later which historians are thinking around the time of King Rehoboam by Solomon sister or daughter)

Genesis 2 - written much later in Northern Israel which they believe was written by a Priest daughter from the tribe of Levi. That's what they think based on the research they have done.

That's why i believe they are written much differently.
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I've heard, and what I'm more inclined to believe is he made man physically and gave him the capacity to rule/create (which is his "image" or reputation) in the 6th day and in the 7th day (chapter 2) he formed him 'spiritually '(in the sense of the word 'reform') by giving him his law of life, I.e. "breathing life into him". Rising him up from the dirt is a metaphor that is used in other places in the bible, as well as in today's language meaning coming up from a low place and sitting in a high place (I.e. a throne). That is what the Law of ? does when a persons chooses to 'repent' and start abiding by it, they go from being an animal like being or commoner to a noble or king.

Example:
    Isaiah 52:2
    Rise from the dust, O Jerusalem. Sit in a place of honor. Remove the chains of slavery from your neck, O captive daughter of Zion.

Psalm 113:7
    He lifts the poor from the dust and the needy from the garbage dump.

1 King 16:2
    I lifted you out of the dust to make you ruler of my people Israel, but you have followed the evil example of Jeroboam. You have provoked my anger by causing my people Israel to sin.
  • Black Boy King
    Options
    And we know teaching people about ? and his laws is not considered physical labor as Jesus himself taught on the Sabbaths(7th day), as well as his disciples after him. So in turn Jesus was reforming man just as ? himself formed (spiritually not physically) on the Sabbath.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options
    The second chapter is giving a more detailed account of the events that took place between the third and sixth "days".

It even gives a reflective tone here:

These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord ? made the earth and the heavens,
    Gen 2:4
  • Black Boy King
    Options
    The second chapter is giving a more detailed account of the events that took place between the third and sixth "days".

These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord ? made the earth and the heavens,

Nah bro, you're making it more complicated than it needs to be. The idea of it being the 3rd and 6th day is not a scripture, but a doctrine of men. Mainstream Christianity, Roman Catholicism.

The verse you posted doesn't say "lets go back to the 3rd day and then go to the 6th day". Genesis 2 continues the timeline and is in the 7th day, the day of his rest.

Forming man from the dust does not mean he made PlayDough people. He didn't make anything from playdough, he created everything by giving his command.

Theres no reason to confuse the scriptures and timelines because it makes sense just reading it straight thru. As you can see, per the original post of this thread, the idea you're presenting is confusion.
  • Black Boy King
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO wrote: »

Yes, he created man by his command/speech and gave him power to rule/"have dominion" over his creation. Man naturally has more ability that all the creatures of the earth.

OK, GO TO GEN 2, 5-7, THE BIBLE SAYS THAT THERE WAS NOT A MAN TO TILL THE GROUND
    True, no one was laboring to grow anything. A mist came up from the earth that caused things to grow when necessary instead of rain.
    AND HE FORMED MAN IN VERSE 7

Yes, he formed as in cultured him. Gave him a Way of life. Gave him his Commandment and wisdom. Proverbs 3:18, wisdom is the tree of life. It's where you get the word reform from.
    AND DIDNT MAKE EVE TIL VERSE 22
    Heavy use of metaphor here but to sum it up he took a woman of Adam's own people and married her to him. Therefore the next verse says, "therefore man shall leave his parents and cling to his wife", as Adam had accomplished.

Only those following His Law and wisdom can enter into His place. His place here being represented as the Garden of Eden.

i hope the above cleared it up.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options
    Lol

@Judah Back I think you have misunderstood what I'm saying....

You literally have presented those chapters in a much more confusing manner than I did. I'm saying the first chapter is about all of creation only.

The second chapter is reflecting back on man and his purpose on the earth and continuing on with the "story" from there. That's it. How is what I'm saying confusing?
  • Black Boy King
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Lol

You literally have presented those chapters in a much more confusing manner than I did. I'm saying the first chapter is about all of creation only.

The second chapter is reflecting back on man and his purpose on the earth and continuing on with the "story" from there. That's it. How is what I'm saying confusing?

The second chapter is a more in depth look at what happened during creation on the first chapter.Basically from the first chapter to the second is not following a chronological time line, if that makes sense.

^^^The bolded is not true. If you read Genesis 1 and 2 with this idea, then you find clear contradiction. Which in turn creates confusion.

Genesis 1 and 2 are a chronological timeline
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options
    Judah Back wrote: »
    Lol

The second chapter is a more in depth look at what happened during creation on the first chapter.Basically from the first chapter to the second is not following a chronological time line, if that makes sense.

^^^The bolded is not true. If you read Genesis 1 and 2 with this idea, then you find clear contradiction. Which in turn creates confusion.

Based on what I'm saying, it technically is not. Unless there really were two separate occasions where man and women were created by the Most High....which isn't the case. My wording may have been a little confusing.

I'm saying that in Genesis 2, up until the third verse, it is on a chronological time line.

Then at the forth verse, it reflects back on what happened in the first chapter and explains it in more depth, which makes sense when you read this:

The "story" doesn't pick back up until chapter 3 with "now the serpent..." But if I'm confused, my the Most High bring understanding between us tonight.

Based on what your saying, Dro should be confused because you are adding people that aren't mentioned. He took a woman from Adams own people? Where is that?

Maybe you know something I dont know then. And if that's the case then share so I can get some understanding.

Also, man was "formed" from the dirt. That word used was h3335 yâtsar.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Judge_Judah hit the nail on the head.

Genesis 1-Genesis 2:1-3 belong together. It's a bad chapter division. And in the original hebrew text there are no chapters or verses. Thus this section of scripture is a general overview of ? creating the heaven and the earth in 6 days and on the 7th day He rested.

Genesis 2:4 and onwards gets specific about the creation of man by providing details. Amen.

@Judah Back that's an interesting perspective, but the text is narrowing to specifics about the creation of man. And all that you said is included in the narrowing that Genesis 2:4-25 details. Amen.

• Black Boy King
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Lol

Based on what I'm saying, it technically is not. Unless there really were two separate occasions where man and women were created by the Most High....which isn't the case. My wording may have been a little confusing.

I'm saying that in Genesis 2, up until the third verse, it is on a chronological time line.

Then at the forth verse, it reflects back on what happened in the first chapter and explains it in more depth, which makes sense when you read this:

The "story" doesn't pick back up until chapter 3 with "now the serpent..." But if I'm confused, my the Most High bring understanding between us tonight.

Based on what your saying, Dro should be confused because you are adding people that aren't mentioned. He took a woman from Adams own people? Where is that?

Maybe you know something I dont know then. And if that's the case then share so I can get some understanding.

I've answered this in my first post...

Men were created in the 6th day. What he did on the 7th day was teach men his Law and Wisdom, which in turn rises man from their lowly state and causes them to put on the new man, as Jesus spoke about. That is, being born again. Same thing you did when you came to Christ. You put off the old man and put on the new, and entered into ? 's rest.

Let me ask you a question though. Do you believe the Adam and Eve story is to be taken as allegory or taken literally?
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Read "habiru" by Gary Arthur Thomson it gives some good information about concerning this in some of the chapters.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options
    Lol

Men were created in the 6th day. What he did on the 7th day was teach men his Law and Wisdom, which in turn rises man from their lowly state and causes them to put on the new man, as Jesus spoke about. That is, being born again. Same thing you did when you came to Christ. You put off the old man and put on the new, and entered into ? 's rest.

Let me ask you a question though. Do you believe the Adam and Eve story is to be taken as allegory or taken literally?

I dont want you to think I'm being difficult by asking these questions, but I have a different understanding. And as brothers in the spirit, we should be able to come to one accord. The bold, I could understand how this could be based on what we are to do on the Shabbat. But where is the scriptural backing for this in the second chapter?

And to answer your question, I'm taking it as it is written at present time. Unless the Most High sends me some understanding and reproof (which could happen in this thread), it makes sense as it is literally written. We only made it to the second chapter before we had conflict! Lol, but this is how we grow.
  • Black Boy King
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Lol

I dont want you to think I'm being difficult by asking these questions, but I have a different understanding. And as brothers in the spirit, we should be able to come to one accord. The bold, I could understand how this could be based on what we are to do on the Shabbat. But where is the scriptural backing for this in the second chapter?

And to answer your question, I'm taking it as it is written at present time. Unless the Most High sends me some understanding and reproof (which could happen in this thread), it makes sense as it is literally written. We only made it to the second chapter before we had conflict! Lol, but this is how we grow.

It's all good bro, nothing wrong with questioning something. You do good by asking for scriptural backing.

Hebrews chapter 4 breaks it down. I'll go thru the primary verses, though the whole chapter gives understanding.

Let me reiterate, my original premise is man was created in the 6th day, then in the 7th day the Father brought man from his lowly state by giving him his Law.
    Hebrews 4
    3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise And ? did rest the seventh day from all his works.

Even though he finished creating, he swore that man should enter into his rest. He did not do physical work on the Sabbath, but he did cause men to enter into his rest by giving them the Law. Focus on the bolded.
    5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

Now what place is he talking about? The Garden of Eden. Man can return again to this place if they enter into His rest, i.e. keep his Commandment. Because man was kicked out for NOT keeping his commandment.

6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

Many were (and still are) preached the Law and Wisdom but do not believe therefore don't keep it. As it is written in verse 3, those that DO believe have entered into his rest, because the Law gives us hope and peace. Romans 2:17 talks about resting in the law.

So since there are some that still need to enter into the faith that Jesus taught us (either because of disbelief or the fact they are being lied to about his teachings), he has given us this grace period, that we may hear his Word and follow him. Once the day (or time period) he has given man is over, then comes the judgement.

• Arya Tsaddiq
    Options
    Lol

It's all good bro, nothing wrong with questioning something. You do good by asking for scriptural backing.

Hebrews chapter 4 breaks it down. I'll go thru the primary verses, though the whole chapter gives understanding.

Let me reiterate, my original premise is man was created in the 6th day, then in the 7th day the Father brought man from his lowly state by giving him his Law.
    Hebrews 4
    3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise And ? did rest the seventh day from all his works.

Even though he finished creating, he swore that man should enter into his rest. He did not do physical work on the Sabbath, but he did cause men to enter into his rest by giving them the Law. Focus on the bolded.
    5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

Now what place is he talking about? The Garden of Eden. Man can return again to this place if they enter into His rest, i.e. keep his Commandment. Because man was kicked out for NOT keeping his commandment.

6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

Many were (and still are) preached the Law and Wisdom but do not believe therefore don't keep it. As it is written in verse 3, those that DO believe have entered into his rest, because the Law gives us hope and peace. Romans 2:17 talks about resting in the law.

So since there are some that still need to enter into the faith that Jesus taught us (either because of disbelief or the fact they are being lied to about his teachings), he has given us this grace period, that we may hear his Word and follow him. Once the day (or time period) he has given man is over, then comes the judgement.

We agree there. My question was more so about this response.
    @MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO wrote: »

Yes, he created man by his command/speech and gave him power to rule/"have dominion" over his creation. Man naturally has more ability that all the creatures of the earth.

OK, GO TO GEN 2, 5-7, THE BIBLE SAYS THAT THERE WAS NOT A MAN TO TILL THE GROUND
    True, no one was laboring to grow anything. A mist came up from the earth that caused things to grow when necessary instead of rain.
    AND HE FORMED MAN IN VERSE 7

Yes, he formed as in cultured him. Gave him a Way of life. Gave him his Commandment and wisdom. Proverbs 3:18, wisdom is the tree of life. It's where you get the word reform from.
    AND DIDNT MAKE EVE TIL VERSE 22
    Heavy use of metaphor here but to sum it up he took a woman of Adam's own people and married her to him. Therefore the next verse says, "therefore man shall leave his parents and cling to his wife", as Adam had accomplished.

Only those following His Law and wisdom can enter into His place. His place here being represented as the Garden of Eden.

i hope the above cleared it up.

• Black Boy King
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Be specific on what part of the post you don't understand because I've already given a thorough answer.

But if you take the Adam and Eve story literally then I can understand why you don't see what I'm presenting. I don't believe Adam and Eve were nudists in a jungle and got tricked by a talking reptile to eat a magic apple that teaches them everything good and evil. Every metaphor in Genesis 2 was used elsewhere in the Bible and no one took it literally in those areas of scripture.

I blame the Europeans and their blasphemous and perverted paintings and sculpture falsely representing ancient Semetic writings that they're too foolish to understand.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options
    Every metaphor in Genesis 2 was used elsewhere in the Bible and no one took it literally in those areas of scripture

@Judah Back

Could you post some precepts for this? Because that's what I'm not understanding.
  • Black Boy King
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I may not be communicating my point well... You do understand that I'm saying Genesis 2 is uses metaphorical language, correct? Figurative language?

I know you're not asking me to prove that the same type of figurative language is used in other places in Scripture... because I know you of all people on this forum are aware of this already..
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's a bad chapter division.

How dare you?

The bible is perfect and perfectly crafted. Give you're life to Christie and repent from your blasphemous language or burn forever.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    Options
    It's a bad chapter division.

How dare you?

The bible is perfect and perfectly crafted. Give you're life to Christie and repent from your blasphemous language or burn forever.

Question: "Who divided the Bible into chapters and verses? Why and when was it done?"

Answer: When the books of the Bible were originally written, they did not contain chapter or verse references. The Bible was divided into chapters and verses to help us find Scriptures more quickly and easily. It is much easier to find "John chapter 3, verse 16" than it is to find "for ? so loved the world..." In a few places, chapter breaks are poorly placed and as a result divide content that should flow together. Overall, though, the chapter and verse divisions are very helpful.

The chapter divisions commonly used today were developed by Stephen Langton, an Archbishop of Canterbury. Langton put the modern chapter divisions into place in around A.D. 1227. The Wycliffe English Bible of 1382 was the first Bible to use this chapter pattern. Since the Wycliffe Bible, nearly all Bible translations have followed Langton's chapter divisions.

The Hebrew Old Testament was divided into verses by a Jewish rabbi by the name of Nathan in A.D. 1448. Robert Estienne, who was also known as Stephanus, was the first to divide the New Testament into standard numbered verses, in 1555. Stephanus essentially used Nathan's verse divisions for the Old Testament. Since that time, beginning with the Geneva Bible, the chapter and verse divisions employed by Stephanus have been accepted into nearly all the Bible versions.

http://www.gotquestions.org/divided-Bible-chapters-verses.html
  • Black Boy King
    Options
    Yo I need to confirm whether or not you guys think it was an actual talking lizard that deceived Eve

I need to know if y'all took that literally before I even proceed with this discussion
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    Options
    Yo I need to confirm whether or not you guys think it was an actual talking lizard that deceived Eve

I need to know if y'all took that literally before I even proceed with this discussion

How about the Moedim? Let's talk about what's important.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options

I think this is part of the issue. I can see what you are saying tho. The scriptures are full of metaphorical scriptures and allegory. But in this case, I'm not convinced. I may need to do some praying to see if anything new is revealed. After reading some of the so called "pseudopigraphical scriptures" (Enoch, Jasher, Jubilees), it makes sense.

• Black Boy King
    edited December 2015
    Options
    This is a very important question for this thread. Ain't nobody buck dancin in the Kingdom.

Again, do y'all think it was a lizard talking to Eve

geico-gecko-o.gif