Rappers That Get A Pass Simply Because They're "Legends"

Options
Busta Carmichael
Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
I've seen people on here big up so called legends and act like they were actually hot at one point but can't seem to point out a dope album or even a song.

Ice-T and Krs fits in this category

Comments

• CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    horrible thread
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Busta Carmichael
    edited December 2015
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    E-40 and he really only a legend because of the time spent behind a microphone. Dude dropped some dope records but the bulk of his career is garbly trash.

Whoa lets slow it down a little.

40 water been dope. His earlier stuff prolly wasn't the best, but hes still around today and still puts out dope music unlike the ones that I mentioned. And his flow has gotten better. Whereas back in the day he sounded off beat.
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I feel what u saying but I feel more like the legends get a pass when it comes to getting compared to knew cats.
    ? act like this old cats haven't lost a step in rap and can out rap or wash all this new cats out which isn't the case
    The games changed and rappers have gotten better
    Hell Larry bird scored 647 3pointers his entire 13yr career
    Curry done scored 687 3pointers since 2013 season
    ? changes so to sit here and say the Wu-Tang and KRS-One can out rap ? like Cole, Kendrick, Big Sean even Drake is hilarious
    Old cats just live off nostalgic times and don't wanna pass the torch or even admit Jay and Nas ain't as good as they use to be and might can't out rap this young ? no more
  • Busta Carmichael
    edited December 2015
    Options
    So what does Ice get pass for??? He became a legend for a reason, he was dope... Dude was from the West and was doing shows in New York with Bambaataa, KRS One, Just Ice, P.E and them...

AggyAF wrote: »
    Lol ice t from jersey

5pAKG0Y.png
    sheed.png
  • TayGettem
    Options
    Also just cuz someone created it dont make them the best at it.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    CS Too Short and Ice T, NS on KRS
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TayGettem wrote: »
    I feel what u saying but I feel more like the legends get a pass when it comes to getting compared to knew cats.
    ? act like this old cats haven't lost a step in rap and can out rap or wash all this new cats out which isn't the case
    ? changes so to sit here and say the Wu-Tang and KRS-One can out rap ? like Cole, Kendrick, Big Sean even Drake is hilarious
    Old cats just live off nostalgic times and don't wanna pass the torch or even admit Jay and Nas ain't as good as they use to be and might can't out rap this young ? no more

Why couldnt method man out rap drake or kendric lamar
  • _God_
    _God_ Members Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    5 Grand wrote: »
    What year were you born?

Don't matter. Been a hip hop head since the 90s. I prolly own more stuff on vinyl/cd's from the 80's than you do.

Just because someone was the first to do something doesn't necessarily mean that they were good at it. Would you call Ice-T a good rapper?

1. Lol @ being a "Hip Hop head since the 90s". I've been a Hip Hop head since the 70s. I remember going to the store with my mother and older brother to cop Rappers Delight. I was fascinated by that song. It was the first song I memorized. And I didn't just memorize the six minute version, I memorized the 15 minute version.

2. It does matter what year you were born. If you were born in 2000 and you're 15 years old then everything you're saying makes sense. But if you were born in the 70s and were alive before Hip Hop got taken over by the major corporations, then what you're saying doesn't make any sense.

3. There's no way in hell that you own more stuff from the 80s on vinyl than me so just stop it. I own stuff from the 80s that you've never heard of. I just sold a test pressing of High Powered Rap on eBay for $75. I probably could have got more for it.

4. Quincy Jones picked Ice T to be on his Back on the Block album. It came out in 1989 and featured four rappers; Ice T, Melle Mel, Big Daddy Kane and Kool Moe Dee. Are you suggesting that Quincy Jones has poor taste?

Here's a clip from 1983. Its from a movie called Breakin and Enterin and is about the West Coast Hip Hop scene. It features Ice T on the mic and pop lockers. Ice T goes in @ 4:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsLKnLkvjg4

Its not that Ice T "gets a pass because he's a legend". Its that he's one of the founding fathers. Its like trying to discredit Thomas Jefferson or John Quincy Adams because they didn't support NASA when they were presidents. It doesn't make any sense.

At the time, Ice T was the best at what he did. Its true that nowadays people do it better, but they grew up listening to the generation of MCs before them.

Just listen to Old School by 2Pac and shut the ? up.

Why did I get flagged?
  • TayGettem
    Options
    TayGettem wrote: »

Why couldnt method man out rap drake or kendric lamar

Im not saying he couldn't he was just a example what I'm sayin is ? act like the best rappers from the past could all survive in the rap game today.
    Some of this rappers y'all praise ain't touched a mic in a decade but y'all still act like they could out rap whoever whenever ? ridiculous