California's rich, white unvaccinated kindergartners

Options
Arya Tsaddiq
Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/30/health/california-vaccine-refusers-white-and-wealthy/index.html

Story highlights
Percentage of California kindergartners with personal belief vaccine exemptions doubled from 2007 to 2013
Students most likely to be exempt are white and wealthy, study finds

(CNN)—In California, the kindergarten students most likely to be exempt from mandatory vaccinations based on their parent's personal beliefs are white and wealthy, according to a recent study.

The percentage of kindergartners with state-issued personal belief exemptions doubled from 2007 to 2013, from 1.54% to 3.06%. That's about 17,000 children, out of more than half a million, opting out.

Vaccine exemption percentages were higher in mostly white, high-income neighborhoods such as Orange County, Santa Barbara and parts of the Bay Area.

The unvaccinated, by the numbers

Related Article: The unvaccinated, by the numbers

The study, which was published in the American Journal of Public Heath, looked at more than 6,200 California schools and found vaccine exemptions were twice as common among kindergartners attending private institutions.

"If you live in a rich, white community where lots of people don't vaccinate their kids, that could be dangerous," said Tony Yang, a health policy professor at George Mason University and author of the study.

According to a 2011 study in Public Health Reports, when parents refuse vaccines it's usually due to concerns about children receiving too many shots or developing side effects, including autism. This despite an exhaustive review last year of 20,000 scientific titles and 67 papers that concluded childhood vaccines are safe, and a complete retraction of the study that spawned the fear that vaccines cause autism.

Yang's study didn't investigate why wealthier, white families in the state are more likely to reject vaccines. One reason may be that some parents are trying to protect their children's immunity from diseases by insisting on specialized diets and natural living practices instead of vaccines, according to a different study.

In June, California lawmakers outlawed personal belief exemptions, starting next summer. A "grandfather" clause will continue to exempt some children.

Unvaccinated kids pose health threat?

nr vaccinations_00005114

Watch this video

Related Video: Unvaccinated kids pose health threat? 06:33

"It's still a step in the right direction. Fewer people will be able to opt out," Yang said. "Vaccines are becoming the victims of their own success. Most people have never witnessed the infections that vaccines prevent."

Vaccines trick the body into thinking it's had a disease when it really hasn't. If enough people get vaccinated you achieve "herd immunity" -- the bodies of so many people have been tricked that there's little chance of a widespread outbreak. But when enough families in a community fail to vaccinate their children, diseases can spread just like a rash of measles spread earlier this year in California and several other states.

"It's a life-threatening problem. Some people could die because you're not vaccinating," Yang said.

But some vaccine refusers remain unswayed. In February, Dr. Jack Wolfson, an Arizona cardiologist, told CNN he did not vaccinate his two sons and that he could live with himself if his unvaccinated child got another child gravely ill.

"It's an unfortunate thing that people die, but people die. I'm not going to put my child at risk to save another child," Wolfson said.

Thoughts?

Also, could someone explain how vaccinations work?

Comments

• wmj710
    wmj710 Members Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe I'm misinformed but it seems like The risk of not getting vaccinated seem higher then the risks of getting vaccinated.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dam dude said he didn't care if another child bassicly died
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    As long as those ? go to private schools i wouldnt give a ? . Its just like these ? to go somewhere they aint wanted and spread ? diseases. Theyre the rodents of the world..bringing pestilence and nastiness everyehere they go
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options
    wmj710 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm misinformed but it seems like The risk of not getting vaccinated seem higher then the risks of getting vaccinated.

That's the thing. No on her send to be able to answer the question of how vaccines work. Do they prevent these diseases from surfacing all together? How effective are they? Can you still get a disease you have been vaccinated against?
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Vaccines work by stimulating our immune system to produce antibodies (substances produced by the body to fight disease) without actually infecting us with the disease.
    They trigger the immune system to produce its own antibodies, as though the body has been infected with a disease. This is called "active immunity". If the vaccinated person then comes into contact with the disease itself, their immune system will recognise it and immediately produce the antibodies they need to fight it.

Http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/pages/how-vaccines-work.aspx

Yes you can still get sick even of vaccinated in extreme circumstances
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    edited December 2015
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    Vaccines work by stimulating our immune system to produce antibodies (substances produced by the body to fight disease) without actually infecting us with the disease.
    They trigger the immune system to produce its own antibodies, as though the body has been infected with a disease. This is called "active immunity". If the vaccinated person then comes into contact with the disease itself, their immune system will recognise it and immediately produce the antibodies they need to fight it.

Thanks

So if an unvaccinated person becomes infected, are they really a threat to a vaccinated person?

• Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Crazy I was just talking to somebody about this last night. Ain't really no telling what they injecting you with. Every time I go to jail, even of its just for 2 days they inject me with a "tb shot". Refusing halts your entire booking process.
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can someone explain what threat an unvaccinated person poses to a vaccinated person? Am I missing a link here
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options
    Judah Back wrote: »
    Can someone explain what threat an unvaccinated person poses to a vaccinated person? Am I missing a link here

That's my point
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks

So if an unvaccinated person becomes infected, ate they really a threat to a vaccinated person?

Yes, because some vaccinations are only given at a certain age. So if you got a 5 y/o playing at the same playground as a 3 y/o, that 5 y/o could spread a disease to the 3 y/o that the 5 y/o should have been vaccinated against as soon as he turned 5.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options

Thanks

So if an unvaccinated person becomes infected, ate they really a threat to a vaccinated person?

Yes, because some vaccinations are only given at a certain age. So if you got a 5 y/o playing at the same playground as a 3 y/o, that 5 y/o could spread a disease to the 3 y/o that the 5 y/o should have been vaccinated against as soon as he turned 5.

This makes sense. Thank you.

Now, my argument is this. If I chose to not vaccinate my children and understand the risks associated, why should i be demonized for that? If it already isn't, why cant this be disclosed in daycares/schools that some children attending are unvaccinated due to xyz? If people are that afraid, then the decision to allow their child to attend falls on them because they have been informed.

I just have my reservations when it comes to what actually is being put in the bodies of our children. Maybe vaccines were created for the common good, but anything regulated by the government gets a side eye from me.
  • The_Jackal
    Options

Thanks

So if an unvaccinated person becomes infected, are they really a threat to a vaccinated person?

Really depends on the situation. Childers/newborns/senior citizens are at a higher risk mainly because their immune systems are weaker. If you are 18-30 and generally healthy (not obese, drug user or ? ) then very low almost non existence chance of you being infected. That's why it's stressed that ALL kids get it because their immune systems are that weak
  • The_Jackal
    edited December 2015
    Options

Thanks

Now, my argument is this. If I chose to not vaccinate my children and understand the risks associated, why should i be demonized for that? If it already isn't, why cant this be disclosed in daycares/schools that some children attending are unvaccinated due to xyz? If people are that afraid, then the decision to allow their child to attend falls on them because they have been informed.

I just have my reservations when it comes to what actually is being put in the bodies of our children. Maybe vaccines were created for the common good, but anything regulated by the government gets a side eye from me.

because it's more then your child that is at risk and yes sometimes they die. Don't think you should be demonized but should understand why people have an issue with it
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I personally don't think any parent should be forced to vaccinate their kid or get a special exemption or no ? like that.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks

Basically, what The Jackal said. If you plan on keeping your kid isolated in the house, the go for it. But if you're taking your kids to public playgrounds, entertainment venues, restaurants, etc... where other kids will be exposed to your kids, you have to consider the effect your decision will have on other children. A ? like the dude in the article needs to be demonized. He's basically making a decision based on nothing that jeopardizes the lives of not just one child but lots of children and in his mind it's ok if the other children die because death is natural.
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    By the way diseases also mutates.So if a good % of kids get sick there bodies could become an enviroment for the desease to mutate and pass a whole new desease to people with vaccinated.That´s why it´s important for everyone to get it.A little problem can become a big problem.That´s why people fear AIDS.Because it got like inumerous types od it.By the way Ebola aint a threat no more I just seen it in the news.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options
    Another interesting thing this article brings up it's the facts that rich white people are choosing not to vaccinate their kids at a higher rate in California. Any thoughts on why this may be the case?
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These ? trying to bring Polio back?
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    Another interesting thing this article brings up it's the facts that rich white people are choosing not to vaccinate their kids at a higher rate in California. Any thoughts on why this may be the case?

Because they are stubborn ? who think they know the best.

"It's an unfortunate thing that people die, but people die. I'm not going to put my child at risk to save another child," Wolfson said.

Just look at this ? . The arrogance and self-righteousness that they have is disgusting.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Nah, bruh. These rich folks know something. And them rejecting that vaccination doesn't mean they ain't getting vaccinated elsewhere. There's gotta be more to this.

Plus I don't trust them ? my damn self.
  • The_Jackal
    edited December 2015
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    Nah, bruh. These rich folks know something. And them rejecting school vaccination doesn't mean they ain't getting vaccinated elsewhere. There's gotta be more to this.

My ? their are countless literally over 2,000 studies of potential sideeffects, potienal adverse effects and other information that isn't done by the government available online and on student databases. I understand people ain't got the time to look through ? but don't say that something wrong when all the evidence says otherwise
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    Nah, bruh. These rich folks know something. And them rejecting that vaccination doesn't mean they ain't getting vaccinated elsewhere. There's gotta be more to this.

That's how it goes off to me, but we can't prove that. And note that the article didn't specify how "rich" these parents are and just started the children are mostly in "private institutions". And it mentioned "specialized duets and natural living practices".
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Unvaccinated children need to be banned from schools.