ESPN Films Announces 1990's Orlando Magic 30 For 30

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
d0ba06d9a5adcbf977793bfdf24bfc38.600x411x1.jpg

The critically acclaimed 30 for 30 documentary series on ESPN will turn its attention to the mid-90s Orlando Magic in April, ESPN Films announced.

In the latest batch of 30 for 30 documentaries, ESPN Films will profile the 1985 Chicago Bears that won the Super Bowl, the Duke Lacrosse scandal, the connection between Darryl Strawberry and Dwight Gooden with the New York Mets and, in a first for the series, a multi-part miniseries examining O.J. Simpson.

Magic fans though will surely be glued to their TVs for that April premiere date of the documentary on one of the most interesting and promising teams of that era. Orlando Magic fans certainly look back at those mid-90s teams as the greatest in franchise history and the most promise the team has ever had to win a title.

The documentary was produced by the stars of that team, Shaquille O’Neal and Anfernee Hardaway, so there is the potential for it getting a bit too nostalgic and not diving deep enough into the story of the rise and fall of that stellar team.

It was directed by Erin Leyden, who previously directed the documentary The ’99ers for ESPN’s 9 for IX series examining women’s sports. The ’99ers used handheld camera footage taken during the U.S. Women’s National Team’s run to the World Cup title in the 1999 World Cup, an iconic moment in women’s sports and in U.S. sports history.

Leyden was a senior producer for 16 episodes of the 30 for 30 documentary series. And The ’99ers was a very good documentary. The storytelling was in very good hands and Magic fans should look forward to seeing the final product. It is the only documentary she has previously directed.

The mid-90s Magic have become a bit of a fascination 20 years now since the team surprisingly upset Michael Jordan and reached the NBA Finals in 1995.

Last April, Jonathan Abrams wrote an oral history of the team for Grantland, going into the rise and fall of the young team that had so much promise.

During All-Star Weekend in Orlando in 2012, Shaquille O’Neal, Anfernee Hardaway and Dennis Scott sat down for one of the first frank and honest conversations the stars of the team have had about those years since they retired:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KfTg_bmzmM

That Magic team still holds a lot of resonance and fascination even 20 years after its break up. Shaquille O’Neal and Anfernee Hardaway certainly still resonate with the fans in Orlando and around the NBA world.

The 30 for 30 will hopefully recapture the hope and excitement of those teams and introduce the team again to a younger and national audience.

Of course, in the end, the story is a tragedy. A footnote in the story of Michael Jordan in the larger NBA narrative. The 30 for 30 series though is supposed to memorialize these kind of stories.

Comments

• 313 wayz
    313 wayz Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I wonder if any current day Nick Anderson input, interviews, etc will be used in this documentary
  • 313 wayz
    313 wayz Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    313 wayz wrote: »
    I wonder if any current day Nick Anderson input, interviews, etc will be used in this documentary

If made those free throws his opinion would've been relevant but since he didn't nobody cares about what he has to say.

Out of curiosity I would like to see what he has to say so we could see it from his perspective....just like they had Scott Norwood on the Buffalo Bills 30 for 30 documentary

• D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If made those free throws his opinion would've been relevant but since he didn't nobody cares about what he has to say.

Out of curiosity I would like to see what he has to say so we could see it from his perspective....just like they had Scott Norwood on the Buffalo Bills 30 for 30 documentary

I been got you was saying but its still ? that ? LLS. When I seen that ? on the Benji from Chicago 30 for 30 all thought about was that ? missing them free throws. His whole basketball career will forever begin and end with those free throws.
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sad but true...some dudes ain't got that clutch gene
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This could be GOAT if they really delve into ? and don't sugarcoat it
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hopefully they show some young Pennycollege footage
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know those missed ft's haunt him every day, that dude seem like he disappeared off the face of the planet even though he played a few years after

Went from borderline All-Star caliber player to barely a rotational guy
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hope they talk about Shaq being extremely jealous of Penny...
  • Livefromclayco
    Livefromclayco Members Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    This will be goat if they get Dennis Scott to talk about that video
  • Sir Lurkalot
    Sir Lurkalot Members Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? horace grant!
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »

damn really... ive always seen shaq give penny nothing but love... but then again thats damn near 20 years later.. had no idea he was jealous of him.. i saw an interview where he was making it seem like he told ORL to trade for penny in the draft after they both were in blue chips... smh
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JusDre313 wrote: »

damn really... ive always seen shaq give penny nothing but love... but then again thats damn near 20 years later.. had no idea he was jealous of him.. i saw an interview where he was making it seem like he told ORL to trade for penny in the draft after they both were in blue chips... smh

Shaq does that alot.

After playing with the person, he will throw salt at them and then years later he will say he has nothing but love for them and he will say they were the best player he played with.

He did that to Penny, Kobe, Wade and Nash lol.
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    we always pay homage to pennys, but jus like them sneakers that era of magic jersey was THE THING to have

You right, the alternate jerseys too. I loved that squad. After they broke up I never really liked the magics teams even still. Did like T mac tho, jus not the team like that.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options

Shaq was jealous how Penny's popularity n celebrity eclipsed his.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    south4life wrote: »

Shaq does that alot.

After playing with the person, he will throw salt at them and then years later he will say he has nothing but love for them and he will say they were the best player he played with.

Knew about Penny which is why he went to L.A. in the first place. Never knew he said ? about D. Wade.

Kobe deserves whatever he get for snitching on Shaq about how he paid for his side ? to keep quiet. LLS
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember I had these bad MFs when they first came out

Nike-Air-Penny-II-2.jpeg

straight dope, I had the all white joints.
  • D.D.S.
    D.D.S. Members Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When he missed those 4 free throws, it killed his career. One year, he shot 40% from the line. ? messed with his mind.
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    south4life wrote: »

Shaq does that alot.

Knew about Penny which is why he went to L.A. in the first place. Never knew he said ? about D. Wade.

Kobe deserves whatever he get for snitching on Shaq about how he paid for his side ? to keep quiet. LLS

yeah the kobe situation is what it is, and heard him talk about nash getting back to back mvps when he felt he should have got one of them, totally missed the penny ? ,and not buying the dwade part. Dwade the reason he got his 4th ring.. could be wrong though
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Shaq disses Wade alot from a player perspective, I remember that Open Court episode and Shaq had the nerve to say Penny,Tmac and Ray Allen were better than Wade and that ? C Webb threw shade at Wade also by sayin he rode Shaq and Lebron to rings, Kenny was the only one with sense sayin Wade was the 3rd best SG All Time