Has organized religion held human advancement back?

Options

Comments

• NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    YES
    Yes, there is no need for organized religion. It's just another form of separation, and a power move. In a progressive world, people would simply APPLY THE LESSONS that make sense to them, instead of connecting these laws to some specific individual or title. There is no Muslim vs. Christians, it's just ? vs. ? . Someone is pulling your strings.

In sum, people are a victim of the savior-complex, where they connect what's being said only to the person saying it. That's why when prophets like Garvey pass on, the masses act let their ideas pass on with them.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    YES & NO
    Organized religions....depends on which ones has done damage. Christianity under Europeans yes they have and Islam under Turks and Arabs yes they have.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    YES
    And regarding a lot of the things said in the OP, the cause is white people. They are the ones currently in social and political power, and their fundamental lack of morals and values are setting the "human-race" way back. Their end sum theories and senseless acts of violence and genocide are ? the "human-race" up beyond belief.

Integration and Imperialism/Colonialism has made it so this description can now be applied to a decent number of black people and others, but they are nothing but molded pawns.

Ancient civilizations like Kemet, meaning Land of Black People, which was later renamed Egypt by the Greeks, were much further along than we are currently in things that matter. They also lasted for thousands upon thousands of years IN POWER, with tens of dynastys, which no current superpower has a chance of doing. These "superpowers" are already facing destructive conflict, internally and externally.

In brief, the wrong people are in power. These people are too busy trying to take over, instead of work towards the common goal of advancement. Check their history, they are 100% pure poison.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    YES & NO
    And regarding a lot of the things said in the OP, the cause is white people. They are the ones currently in social and political power, and their fundamental lack of morals and values are setting the "human-race" way back. Their end sum theories and senseless acts of violence and genocide are ? the "human-race" up beyond belief.

Integration and Imperialism/Colonialism has made it so this description can now be applied to a decent number of black people and others, but they are nothing but molded pawns.

Ancient civilizations like Kemet, meaning Land of Black People, which was later renamed Egypt by the Greeks, were much further along than we are currently in things that matter. They also lasted for thousands upon thousands of years IN POWER, with tens of dynastys, which no current superpower has a chance of doing. These "superpowers" are already facing destructive conflict, internally and externally.

In brief, the wrong people are in power. These people are too busy trying to take over, instead of work towards the common goal of advancement. Check their history, they are 100% pure poison.

Absolute nonsense and ancient Egypt conquered people for the same reasons other conquerors did.
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just want to know who and how has organizatied religion held back human advancement. Not disagreeing that horrible terrors were justified under the blanket of religion.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    YES & NO
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    I just want to know who and how has organizatied religion held back human advancement. Not disagreeing that horrible terrors were justified under the blanket of religion.

There was progress and there was big set backs, but it's more political, economic, and just plain power hungry control freaks versus a religious point of view.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    YES & NO
    zzombie wrote: »

Absolute nonsense and ancient Egypt conquered people for the same reasons other conquerors did.

But not under religious reasons and depending on which dynasty it was. The 19th dynasty was based on conquering people which Pharoahs of the 18th were opposed to which would they said would weaken their strength in which it did during the course of the 20th dynasty.

But their conquering was as religious as America's. Resources are the biggest reason for any war.
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »

There was progress and there was big set backs, but it's more political, economic, and just plain power hungry control freaks versus a religious point of view.

There were progress and huge state backs under any religious or none religious states in history so I'll give you that. But where is there an instance or even a justification to the very stupid statement t/s made. That's all I'm asking.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    YES & NO

There were progress and huge state backs under any religious or none religious states in history so I'll give you that. But where is there an instance or even a justification to the very stupid statement t/s made. That's all I'm asking.

From a glance from history, Christianity did civilized Europeans and Islam did for Muslims for some ? . Then we had the golden age of Islam which pushed a lot of scientific discoveries and thinking. But I don't think people have studied enough though. I believed that people need to take the good and the bad and learned from the history and strengthen themselves and become wiser to make a much better place for themselves and their descendants.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    YES
    In the grand scheme of things, organized religion has been a terrible setback for humanity. I admit religious people at times have made good scientific progress but overall, organized religion has held people back because of it historically being a very divisive thing. It can bring people together, but religions have often justified terrible behavior such as genocides, the stealing of resources, land, and stopping the education of women. The Torah encourages slavery and the murder of people who believe in different gods, and Jesus told his followers to keep the Torah and old laws holy lol.....no wonder Christians went crazy with their famous murders and genocides throughout history.

The sexism in Hinduism, Judaism, Christianity and Islam are huge reasons why women in so many parts of the world live as 2nd class citizens. There are religious societies who right now don't believe in teaching young girls and even young boys math and science.

I can go on and on, but Baron touched on many of the points already. Organized religion, historically, has been a giant cancer upon humanity. The less people take religion seriously, the more humane and enlightened the society becomes. Show me a society that is very religious on average, and I'll show you a nation that has a ton of social problems.
  • kingblaze84
    edited January 2016
    Options
    YES

I wouldn't say White people are 100% poison, but historically, they have been the most evil and chaos creating race in mankind's history. The aboriginals and Native Americans can attest to that, and I'll never forget reading what the Christian Germans and British did in Africa. What the Christian Spaniards did in the Americas is beyond disgusting and I suspect Christianity made the problem of Whites loving genocide and stealing into an even bigger one.
  • zzombie
    edited January 2016
    Options
    YES & NO
    EVERY NATION on earth has social problems but of course atheist and people who hate the church will lay the blame on religion.

and of course they cannot mentally see a distinction between religious doctrine from political and military action and thus there arguments are mostly just fallacies.

the taking correlation as causation fallacy is all over this thread
  • The_Jackal
    Options

From a glance from history, Christianity did civilized Europeans and Islam did for Muslims for some ? . Then we had the golden age of Islam which pushed a lot of scientific discoveries and thinking. But I don't think people have studied enough though. I believed that people need to take the good and the bad and learned from the history and strengthen themselves and become wiser to make a much better place for themselves and their descendants.

Ok with that being said do you agree or disagree with the thread premises?
    In the grand scheme of things, organized religion has been a terrible setback for humanity. I admit religious people at times have made good scientific progress but overall, organized religion has held people back because of it historically being a very divisive thing. It can bring people together, but religions have often justified terrible behavior such as genocides, the stealing of resources, land, and stopping the education of women. The Torah encourages slavery and the murder of people who believe in different gods, and Jesus told his followers to keep the Torah and old laws holy lol.....no wonder Christians went crazy with their famous murders and genocides throughout history.

The sexism in Hinduism, Judaism, Christianity and Islam are huge reasons why women in so many parts of the world live as 2nd class citizens. There are religious societies who right now don't believe in teaching young girls and even young boys math and science.

I can go on and on, but Baron touched on many of the points already. Organized religion, historically, has been a giant cancer upon humanity. The less people take religion seriously, the more humane and enlightened the society becomes. Show me a society that is very religious on average, and I'll show you a nation that has a ton of social problems. [/quote]

Any society tho religious or not
  • kingblaze84
    edited January 2016
    Options
    YES
    EVERY NATION on earth has social problems but of course atheist and people who hate the church will lay the blame on religion.

and of course they cannot mentally see a distinction between religious doctrine from political and military action and thus there arguments are mostly just fallacies.

Total nonsense, organized religion is very much responsible for many of the horrors and injustices that we see in the world today. Look at Boko Haram in Nigeria, jihadi groups in Afghanistan that don't allow girls to be educated, even shooting them to prevent them from learning.

Look at the high rates of child molestation in India, a society that believes in Hinduism, although parts of Hinduism supports the molestation of young girls. Part of Religious doctrine in Judaism is to murder all those who believe in different gods, and Jesus told his followers to KEEP THE OLD LAWS HOLY. Christians honored his words and felt almost zero guilt murdering and stealing from others who believed in different gods. Look it up, Christopher Columbus and Francisco Pizarro got a lot of support from Christian institutions to ? and enslave the Native Americans because so many of them were resistant to the Bible.

Religious doctrine in Judaism is partially built on stealing land from others, especially if they are different and believe different. Judaism directly influenced Christianity and Islam, and it's no coincidence that Muslims, Christians and Israel all have closely connected bitter wars and battles against each other up till this day.
  • kingblaze84
    edited January 2016
    Options
    YES
    @The_Jackal

Religious societies are known to have bigger and more deep social problems then the average non-religious society. Societies that are too religious think very close minded and don't think (or care) how religious laws often make many other groups of people unhappy. This causes conflicts, often violent ones. Nations where religion isn't taken as seriously understand this, and as a result, people in non religious societies are usually happier.

http://www.vexen.co.uk/religion/time_to_move_on.html

The academic Gregory S. Paul has published a study comparing 25 indicators of societal stability against the practice of religion. In developed countries, there is a strong correlation between stability and lack of religion. In other words, the more actively religious the country was, the worse its rates of crime, suicide, drug use, imprisonment, unemployment, income, abortion and public corruption.{19}

Phil Zuckerman, a sociologist at Pitzer College whose research looks at the link between religion and societal health within the developed world, agrees with that assertion. [...] Zuckerman says the findings are consistent with his own data, collected for his 2008 book Society Without ? : What the Least Religious Nations Can Tell Us About Contentment - a portrait of secular society in Denmark and Sweden - and his forthcoming Faith No More: How and Why People Reject Religion.
  • zzombie
    edited January 2016
    Options
    YES & NO

Total nonsense, organized religion is very much responsible for many of the horrors and injustices that we see in the world today. Look at Boko Haram in Nigeria, jihadi groups in Afghanistan that don't allow girls to be educated, even shooting them to prevent them from learning.

Look at the high rates of child molestation in India, a society that believes in Hinduism, although Hinduism supports the molestation of young girls. Part of Religious doctrine in Judaism is to murder all those who believe in different gods, and Jesus told his followers to KEEP THE OLD LAWS HOLY. Christians honored his words and felt almost zero guilt murdering and stealing from others who believed in different gods. Look it up, Christopher Columbus and Francisco Pizarro got a lot of support from Christian institutions to ? and enslave the Native Americans because so many of them were resistant to the Bible.

Religious doctrine in Judaism is partially built on stealing land from others, especially if they are different and believe different. Judaism directly influenced Christianity and Islam, and it's no coincidence that Muslim, Christian and Israel all have closely connected bitter wars and battles against each other up till this day.

smh..... if you read what i have said in this thread and many others it would be evident to you that i don't deny the fact that religious people have caused a lot of strife the problem is that you and people with your perspective are blowing things up out of proportion. which is why i voted Yes and NO in this thread. People were stealing land in the middle east and elsewhere long before judaism and islam.

and i am not going to get into it with you about the laws of the old and new laws in the bible because every time i try and explain it to you you simply ignore what i say and continue your pig headed stubborn nonsense.
  • zzombie
    Options
    YES & NO

But not under religious reasons and depending on which dynasty it was. The 19th dynasty was based on conquering people which Pharoahs of the 18th were opposed to which would they said would weaken their strength in which it did during the course of the 20th dynasty.

But their conquering was as religious as America's. Resources are the biggest reason for any war.

europeans did not begin to conquer america based on religion they did it for land the religious excuse came afterward.
  • zzombie
    edited January 2016
    Options
    YES & NO
    denmark and sweden have some of the highest levels of anti-depressants usage as well as some of the highest suicide rates in the world. ALL SOCIETIES HAVE PROBLEMS.

This thread is asking us does religion hold back society not does religion cause suffering but you anti-religious people cannot stay on topic you rather turn this into another bash religion thread.
  • kingblaze84
    edited January 2016
    Options
    YES

Look at the high rates of child molestation in India, a society that believes in Hinduism, although Hinduism supports the molestation of young girls. Part of Religious doctrine in Judaism is to murder all those who believe in different gods, and Jesus told his followers to KEEP THE OLD LAWS HOLY. Christians honored his words and felt almost zero guilt murdering and stealing from others who believed in different gods. Look it up, Christopher Columbus and Francisco Pizarro got a lot of support from Christian institutions to ? and enslave the Native Americans because so many of them were resistant to the Bible.

Religious doctrine in Judaism is partially built on stealing land from others, especially if they are different and believe different. Judaism directly influenced Christianity and Islam, and it's no coincidence that Muslim, Christian and Israel all have closely connected bitter wars and battles against each other up till this day.

smh..... if you read what i have said in this thread and many others it would be evident to you that i don't deny the fact that religious people have caused a lot of strife the problem is that you and people with your perspective are blowing things up out of proportion. which is why i voted Yes and NO in this thread. People were stealing land in the middle east and elsewhere long before judaism and islam.

and i am not going to get into it with you about the laws of the old and new laws in the bible because every time i try and explain it to you you simply ignore what i say and continue your pig headed stubborn nonsense.

Jesus told his followers to OBEY THE OLD TESTAMENT and to KEEP THE LAWS HOLY. Those laws INCLUDE the murder of ANYONE who believes in different gods and before you say Jesus fulfilled the Old Testament, he didn't FULFILL ? . He failed to truly fulfill the old prophecies, so that means the OLD RULES AND LAWS STAND.

As a result, Christians for MANY years took seriously the savage rules of the Old Testament, and actually murdered all those who believed in different gods aside from the Bible ? .

I do admit people stole land before Islam and Judaism, but organized religion helped put these things into overdrive, especially in the case of those who believed in the Abahamic ? .
  • zzombie
    edited January 2016
    Options
    YES & NO

Jesus told his followers to OBEY THE OLD TESTAMENT and to KEEP THE LAWS HOLY. Those laws INCLUDE the murder of ANYONE who believes in different gods and before you say Jesus fulfilled the Old Testament, he didn't FULFILL ? . He failed to truly fulfill the old prophecies, so that means the OLD RULES AND LAWS STAND.

As a result, Christians for MANY years took seriously the savage rules of the Old Testament, and actually murdered all those who believed in different gods aside from the Bible ? .

I do admit people stole land before Islam and Judaism, but organized religion helped put these things into overdrive, especially in the case of those who believed in the Abahamic ? .

dog i'm not getting into that with you again for the 100TH time i'm not, you are too ignorant and uneducated on the theology of the religions you bash daily on here and i don't feel like you even what to understand why the ? you say is totally wrong.

You have no proof that organized religion but anything in overdrive especially since the amount of religious wars in human history account for only a tiny percentage of all wars

wars-pie-chart.jpg[img][/img]
  • kingblaze84
    edited January 2016
    Options
    YES
    "[Slavery] was established by decree of Almighty ? ...it is sanctioned in the Bible, in both Testaments, from Genesis to Revelation...it has existed in all ages, has been found among the people of the highest civilization, and in nations of the highest proficiency in the arts." Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States of America.

"There is not one verse in the Bible inhibiting slavery, but many regulating it. It is not then, we conclude, immoral." Rev. Alexander Campbell

"The right of holding slaves is clearly established in the Holy Scriptures, both by precept and example." Rev. R. Furman, D.D., Baptist, of South Carolina

--I can find many fun quotes from Hinduism and the Koran as well. But I'll be nice for now. Organized religion has almost totally ? society up historically.
  • zzombie
    Options
    YES & NO
    "[Slavery] was established by decree of Almighty ? ...it is sanctioned in the Bible, in both Testaments, from Genesis to Revelation...it has existed in all ages, has been found among the people of the highest civilization, and in nations of the highest proficiency in the arts." Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States of America.

"There is not one verse in the Bible inhibiting slavery, but many regulating it. It is not then, we conclude, immoral." Rev. Alexander Campbell

"The right of holding slaves is clearly established in the Holy Scriptures, both by precept and example." Rev. R. Furman, D.D., Baptist, of South Carolina

--I can find many fun quotes from Hinduism and the Koran as well. But I'll be nice for now. Organized religion has almost totally ? society up historically.

yeah whatever can you actually address the thread premise??
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    YES

dog i'm not getting into that with you again for the 100TH time i'm not, you are too ignorant and uneducated on the theology of the religions you bash daily on here and i don't feel like you even what to understand why the ? you say is totally wrong.

You have no proof that organized religion but anything in overdrive especially since the amount of religious wars in human history account for only a tiny percentage of all wars

wars-pie-chart.jpg[img][/img]

Religious people have still created a ton of problems historically, it's bigger then wars. I can't even see that pie chart by the way, but I bet it's leaving a ton of religious conflicts and societal problems out of it
  • kingblaze84
    edited January 2016
    Options
    YES

yeah whatever can you actually address the thread premise??

I already did and Baron is 100% correct. Organized religion has held many people back, especially women and minorities in religious societies. I admit there are exceptions but in the grand scheme of things, organized religion has inspired, encouraged, and many times all out calls for savage and disgusting behavior. The Torah is a perfect example, look at how Israel is treating non-Jews. Look at how so many Muslim societies mistreat non-Muslims. Much of this is caused by the Torah and Koran itself supporting much of this behavior. That goes for most other organized religions as well
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    That study you produced is slightly biased and I'm sure you know that but that's fir another thread. All I want is to know what major thinkers or scientist of society were held back or killed. I told you @kingblaze84 that history was my minor and csn say with 100% certainly that organizatied religion has not held back or hindered scientific progress. There was no mass burning or killing of scientific minds