A Naked And Unarmed Black 17yo Was Killed Yesterday By An Austin,Tx Pig.. SMDH...

Options

Comments

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Demons will ? you no matter what. This is the beginning of a genocide.
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/crime-law/sources-man-killed-by-austin-police-monday-was-una/nqMLz/
    Austin police: Teen killed by officer identified as David Joseph, 17

Tuesday’s revelation that a naked 17-year-old had no weapon when he was killed Monday by an Austin police officer ignited an outcry about how police responded and left some leaders in the African-American community questioning the officer’s actions before he pulled the trigger.

The slain teenager, David Joseph of Austin and the veteran officer, Geoffrey Freeman, are both African-American.

“How much of a threat could a boy pose to police under those circumstances?” said the attorney for Joseph’s family, Scott Medlock. “His mother wants to know why this happened, why her son would be found in this state and why they would respond by shooting him.”

Austin police didn’t have the answers for those questions Tuesday. Freeman gave only a brief statement to police at the scene and was set to provide a full account to criminal and internal investigators later this week.

In a statement, Joseph’s family said it was “shocked and saddened that he was taken from us in an unexpected and violent way, and are struggling to understand how our child was stolen from us by the police.”

“We want a full and fair investigation into what led Officer Freeman to ? David,” the family said. “David had no weapon. We do not know what lead to his meeting with Officer Freeman, but we know that our David should not have been taken away from us. No family should have to suffer like we are today.”

Freeman was responding Monday to a disturbance at an apartment complex in the 300 block of East Yager Lane at 9:57 a.m., Austin police Chief of Staff Brian Manley said. There, Freeman spoke with several witnesses who said they saw a man chasing another man through the complex.

A short time later, police received another call from neighbors on the 12000 block of Natures Bend. Freeman arrived in his patrol vehicle and saw Joseph lying naked in the street. Freeman exited his vehicle and approached. Joseph charged at Freeman, and the officer opened fire; the confrontation lasted a matter of seconds, Manley said.

Manley couldn’t say if Freeman attempted to use a stun gun or any nonlethal force.

Medlock said the family is looking for answers from Austin police as it explores legal options.

Joseph, a charter school student at Premier High School known as Pronto to his friends, was on track to graduate this spring, Medlock said. He had played football at Connally High School, liked to rap and once sported a Mohawk that drew teasing from classmates. He wanted to go to college this fall, his family said.

“David is sweet and funny. There’d be no day that went by where you wouldn’t see a smile on his face or him joking around,” said one of Joseph’s close friends, 19-year-old Samone Morales. “I’m always going to remember how he cared for the people close to him.”

The nature of the shooting had several questioning how it was handled, including Council Member Ora Houston, whose district includes the neighborhood where Joseph was shot. Houston said initial details made it appear that Joseph was experiencing a mental or behavioral crisis.

Houston, who has worked in mental health, said the officer should have had backup and tried harder to de-escalate the situation.

“That didn’t happen; I don’t know why that didn’t happen,” Houston said. “Hopefully as we go through the process, we will figure out why didn’t that happen.”

Jim Harrington, longtime director of the Texas Civil Rights Project, called Joseph’s death possibly the worst fatal police shooting in Austin’s history. “My heart sank when I heard that this had happened,” he said.

“When you come on to a scene and you see someone running around naked, you know one of two things: either it’s mental health problems or drugs, so you know that this person is not a threat,” Harrington said. “You’re supposed to de-escalate.”

Joseph’s family lawyer and friends said the teenager had no history of mental health issues.

Austin NAACP President Nelson Linder met with Joseph’s family Tuesday. He said the family is distraught and overwhelmed with grief. Like Harrington and Houston, he also questioned Freeman’s actions in the shooting.

“The bottom line is a young man is dead,” Linder said. “He lost his life based on poor conduct and terrible tactics.”

Members of the Austin Justice Coalition and Black Lives Matter Austin hastily organized an “emergency response meeting” at an East Austin church Tuesday night.

Freeman — who is now on paid administrative leave, which is standard policy in police shootings — has received positive performance evaluations since he joined the Austin Police Department in 2005. His public civil service file had no instances of him being disciplined. It contained numerous commendations for his work on investigations and with a group that provides homes for troubled and abused children.

Whether Freeman’s actions were justified will hinge on several factors, law enforcement experts said, such as whether Joseph was on drugs, such as ? , that could have made him more dangerous, and his proximity to Freeman when he fired his gun.

David Klinger, a top police use-of-force expert and a professor at the University of Missouri-St. Louis, said the fact that Joseph was nude makes him think he might have been under the influence of a drug that could have given him “superhuman strength” and made him appear more dangerous.

“When you’ve got somebody who is in an altered mental state, who is attacking you, a police officer is in grave danger, first from simply losing the physical fight and getting severely hurt or even beaten to death,” he said.

Greg Meyer, a retired Los Angeles police captain who specializes in use-of-force issues, said if Freeman thought Joseph was capable of overpowering him, and possibly taking his gun away, the shooting might have been justified, especially if there was little distance between the two. The officer might have feared that using less-lethal options, including a stun gun, might not be effective, he said.

Klinger also questioned whether Freeman could have waited for other officers, but he added, “You can’t let the guy run because he might harm someone.”

David Klinger, a top police use-of-force expert and a professor at the University of Missouri-St. Louis, said the fact that Joseph was nude makes him think he might have been under the influence of a drug that could have given him “superhuman strength” and made him appear more dangerous.

The ol' super ? excuse.. Smh.. These pigs and their pig apologists also have ready made excuses for any situation...
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    as much as i dislike the idea of kids being held to a higher standard than the police, i have to agree with Southern a lil... in regards to kids.

she did her job as a parent and friend and at the end of the day she acknowledges the fact that police can be wrong and still win.

kids aren't suppose to fight this battle.

that's our job.

I agree with some of what you saying.
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    Local news just released dispatch call to the officers

Clearly stated this young man had no weapon

The Austin Police Association is already trying to justify why the officer didn't use a taser

• ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    N/h at you ? wanting him to wrassle with a naked man. Ain't that what you ? usually say to ? ?
  • stringer bell
    Options
    MsSouthern wrote: »
    Local news just released dispatch call to the officers

Clearly stated this young man had no weapon

The Austin Police Association is already trying to justify why the officer didn't use a taser

• stringer bell
    Options
    http://kxan.com/2016/02/10/austin-police-association-answers-criticisms-in-david-joseph-shooting/
    Questions answered after criticisms in local teen’s shooting

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Over the last two days, Austin Police Association President Ken Casaday has heard the criticisms and the questions since an officer shot and killed a teenager on Monday morning.

“Why not use a taser?”

“Why shoot a naked and obviously unarmed teenager?”

His answers to those questions come in the form of a video which shows a similar situation.

“Just because someone is naked and in the street does not mean that they are not a danger to someone. I would tell you they are an extreme danger,” said Casaday.

Casaday points to a 2005 dash camera video as an example of why a stun gun doesn’t always subdue the person in question.

In the video, an Austin police officer is responding to a daycare center where a naked man is trying to barge in through the front door. After shouting at the man, she deploys a Taser to bring him to the ground. As he rolls around on the ground, the officer continues to cycle the Taser until the man pulls the prongs out of his back and continues to try and bust down the door. A short time later, he walks towards the officer, punching her, knocking her to the ground, and appears to try and take something from her, but seconds later, police backup arrive. Nobody died, but Casaday says it very easily could have ended in the death of an officer.

“If that officer had not been back there to back up this female officer, the probability of him killing her is high,” said Casaday.

After backup arrives, the man can be seen chasing after female onlookers who were in the area watching the incident unfold before finally being tased again and handcuffed.

Casaday said the difference between using a stun gun or a gun depends on the perception of the officer who is expected to ask “objectively reasonable.”

Casaday talked briefly about Geoffrey Freeman’s background, telling KXAN he has been an officer with the Austin Police Department for 10 years, but previously served his country in Iraq and worked in administration for the Austin library system. Freeman graduated from Crockett High School where he played football and is described as a “fantastic person” according to Casaday.

“Everything I have heard is that he has had a stellar career at the Austin Police Department.”

An internal affairs investigation into the shooting has begun and although Casaday could not comment about the specifics, he did say Freeman gave verbal warnings to deescalate the situation before shooting and killing 17-year-old David Josesh. Criticisms regarding how police handled the shooting given Joseph’s age are unfair in Casaday’s eyes.

“I have seen 17 year olds that make me look like a runt,” said the 6’3, 285 pound Casaday. “We saw the football pictures [Joseph’s] family released, that’s an adult man.”

Other scrutiny has come from the Texas Civil Rights Project and the NAACP. Casaday believes the criticism for how the officer did his job should wait until details are revealed in the investigation.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    police really need to be trained on how to handle mental health people. this is ridiculous this boy shouldnt have been shot so what if he was charging, this officer is a grown ass man. should be ? easy to detained . smh sad this boy lost his life.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    so he was just on drugs then maybe?? at giving him super human strength smh. ? outta here.
  • b1grobtheking
    b1grobtheking Members Posts: 201 ✭✭
    Options
    i was just talking about this yesterday to some young g's in the projects down here i was explaining how ? people have more rights then black folks.if you say 1 thing about someone being ? or you hurt a ? person,the media,the government will lynch you.but police are killing us everyday and no one gives a ? .me and the police been beefing down here since 1992.constant harassment ,fake arrests and shady ? .ive had police plant drugs in my car,then lock up one of the homies who was sitting in the backseat.they pulled me over one nite ,towed my car,handcuffed me,mased me then left me handcuffed and left me in one of my enemies projects at 3 in the morning.me and a cop got in a fist fight on peach tree street in atlanta,in 2006 over me not paying for $20 for a parking spot.i whipped that ? ass.i had 3 cops handcuff me ,beat me with nite sticks and left me in a park that was a 4 hour walk back to my city.i robbed a movie gallery back in 2004,and got into a shoot out with the police as they was chasing me.the only way i got away that night was because i was in stolen car and was able to ditch them on some backroads only a few folks know about,ditched the car on a dead end street,hit a cut and ended up 2 streets from my house.i admit i was wilding but alot of the ? was unprovoked.this ? will continue as long as we keep being passive.but trust this,i will ? a cop fast because these dudes scary as ? and will ? you in a split second no more marches,no more protest, they only respect 1 thing and thats violence stand up for yourself always my thoughts im out
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The cop finally got fired today
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Reminds me of Eldrige Cleaver and Bobby Hutton. Cleaver took all his clothes off in a standoff so cops wouldn't shoot him and lie n say he was armed. Even that dont matter no more (Hutton didnt get naked nh and they killed him)
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The article said that SEVERAL people called the police. Doesn't sound like he was all that innocent. Are people just supposed to ignore a naked man walking around in public?
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    babelipsss wrote: »
    The article said that SEVERAL people called the police. Doesn't sound like he was all that innocent. Are people just supposed to ignore a naked man walking around in public?

And? There are numerous solutions that reside somewhere between ignoring and killing him.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shoot first ....call'em a thug later
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    babelipsss wrote: »

So the only alternative to a cop ignoring a naked man is ? him?
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    all that tech, all that gear, and these mother ? STILL WONT GO HANDS ON, when the situation calls for it.

9/11 fostered a culture of cowardice.

"hands on"? that ? was naked ? that.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea the onus is not on the police to go 'hands on' and tussle with someone. A taser would seem enough
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    They were hoping he had ? or something like theta in his system so they could justify the murder

He was fired but his union is helping him appeal it

Not over yet .....
  • stringer bell
    edited May 2016
    Options
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/austin-officer-not-indicted-for-naked-teens-fatal-shooting/
    Austin officer not indicted for naked teen's fatal shooting

AUSTIN, Texas -- A Travis County grand jury has decided not to indict on criminal charges a former Austin police officer who shot and killed an unarmed, naked 17-year-old.

District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg's office announced Tuesday that jurors met for five days and heard testimony from 12 witnesses, including Officer Geoffrey Freeman.

Police said David Joseph was shot twice and killed on Feb. 8 by Freeman when the teen refused orders to stop and charged at Freeman.

Joseph, who was black, as is Freeman, was fired in March by Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo. Acevedo said Freeman violated department policy in the shooting.

Freeman initially responded to reports of one person chasing another at an Austin apartment complex, resumed patrol then came upon Joseph.

Freeman's lawyers said he feared for his life.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-texas-police-idUSKCN0Y82H2
    Texas grand jury does not indict officer who fatally shot naked teen

A Texas grand jury has decided not to bring charges against an Austin police officer who fatally shot an unarmed and naked teenage male in February, a local prosecutor said on Tuesday.

Officer Geoffrey Freeman was permanently suspended in March, a procedural step for firing, after he was found to have violated department policy by shooting black 17-year-old David Joseph a few seconds after confronting him.

Freeman, who also is African American and has worked as an Austin police officer for 10 years, appealed the suspension.

The case drew scrutiny as questions of racial bias in U.S. policing have been raised after the fatal shootings of several unarmed African-American men by police in recent months.

The grand jury met on five separate days and heard testimony from 12 witnesses, including Freeman and members of Joseph's family, before reaching its decision, the Travis County District Attorney's office said in a statement.

It said Freeman stopped his patrol car about 100 feet from Joseph and drew his gun. Joseph ran toward he officer, who ordered him to stop and Freeman fired two shots when he did not, the district attorney's office said, adding both shots hit Joseph.

Jeff Edwards, the attorney for the Joseph family, said the decision not to indict marked a sad day for justice.

"Failing to secure an indictment when a police officer shoots and kills an unarmed, skinny, naked teenager, who the officer outweighed by over 100 pounds, is a failure of will by the district attorney, and calls in to question the entire grand jury process in cases involving police misconduct," Edwards said in a statement.

An autopsy found that Joseph had two prescription drugs and marijuana in his system at the time he was shot, local TV station KVUE reported.

A police group backing the officer said there was a rush to judgment in the case by Austin Police Department leaders and applauded the decision not to indict.

Smh...
  • Dazzling
    Dazzling Members Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    Options
  • the dukester
    the dukester Members Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black slave turned black cop is not logical. Let's see if this pig gets some of that white privilege that the judicial system gives his blue brethren.

How you in "fear for your life" with a 17-year old naked teenager? Pig using the "Zimmerman strategy."