Iowa Lawmakers Advance Bill That Would Allow Kids To Use Handguns...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in The Social Lounge
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/iowa-house-bill-eliminate-gun-age-restriction
The Iowa House of Representatives passed a bill Tuesday that eliminates the age requirement for children to use "a pistol, revolver or the ammunition" with parental supervision.

The House approved the measure 62-36, according to The Huffington Post. It's sponsored by state Rep. Jack Highfill (R) and now moves to the state Senate.

Current law doesn't allow anyone younger than 14 years old to handle firearms.

State Rep. Kirsten Running-Marquardt (D) fought against the measure.

"What this bill does, the bill before us, allows for 1-year-olds, 2-year-olds, 3-year-olds, 4-year-olds to operate handguns," she told local television station KCCI. "We do not need a militia of toddlers. We do not have handguns that I am aware of that fit the hands of a 1- or 2-year-old."

Highfill told the Washington Post that the criticism was unfounded because the bill includes language that requires parental supervision with "visual and verbal contact at all times with the supervised person."

“Allowing people to learn at a young age the respect that a gun commands is one of the most important things you can do,” he told the newspaper.

He added that otherwise, Iowans would turn 18 years of age "with no experience" in proper gun safety.

The law does not change the minimum age to purchase weapons.

Comments

• caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am cool with this. As long as they cant get a gun carry license unless it is a hunting license.
  • damnkp
    damnkp Members Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My son is 13 and has been going to the range since 11..I dont understand why anyone would be against kids learning how to properly handle a firearm
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I understand the spirit of what they are trying to do, but I think the law should have been left alone and maybe make some special provisions for example for like kids hunting with adult supervision.

Most children under about 9-10 years old do not have the maturity or steady hand to properly handle a firearm nor could you trust them independently with a firearm no matter how much you taught them.

What you'll end up having is kids that are 4-9 years old desensitized to the dangers of improperly handling a firearm which is dangerous imo.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember a few years ago some idiot gave a kid a toddler an Uzi at a shooting range that ? kick backed and tore that childs head up.
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My first time firing a gun was when I was about 5 or 6. My Dad let me shoot up in the air on New Year's Eve. Sounds kinda wrong but he was right there with me the whole time making sure I was safe. Some people like guns, some don't.

• LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This isn't 1850 the usefulness of a child using a firearm is 0 to none...
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    babelipsss wrote: »
    My first time firing a gun was when I was about 5 or 6. My Dad let me shoot up in the air on New Year's Eve. Sounds kinda wrong but he was right there with me the whole time making sure I was safe. Some people like guns, some don't.

no offense, but that ? was foolish as hell... and its not even about liking or disliking guns (im a gun owner) to let a kid shoot at that age smh.. thats insane..
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So I wonder what the response is going to be to the argument that kids are already getting shot by the police for having fake guns
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with giving guns to children. What could possibly go wrong?
    https://youtu.be/HF6-UcaMSPU

Maybe an automatic uzi was a lil much for a 9yr old girl
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

There's no way for a 5 year old to safely shoot a gun...y'all got very lucky
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Rex has to fix this.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/iowa-house-bill-eliminate-gun-age-restriction

The Iowa House of Representatives passed a bill Tuesday that eliminates the age requirement for children WHITE CHILDREN to use "a pistol, revolver or the ammunition" with parental WHITE PARENTAL SUPERVISION.

The House approved the measure 62-36, according to The Huffington Post. It's sponsored by state Rep. Jack Highfill (R) and now moves to the state Senate.

Current law doesn't allow anyone younger than 14 years old to handle firearms.

State Rep. Kirsten Running-Marquardt (D) fought against the measure.

"What this bill does, the bill before us, allows for 1-year-olds, 2-year-olds, 3-year-olds, 4-year-olds to operate handguns," she told local television station KCCI. "We do not need a militia of toddlers. We do not have handguns that I am aware of that fit the hands of a 1- or 2-year-old."

Highfill told the Washington Post that the criticism was unfounded because the bill includes language that requires parental WHITE PARENTAL SUPERVISION. with "visual and verbal contact at all times with the supervised person WHITE SUPERVISED PERSON."

“Allowing people WHITE PEOPLE to learn at a young age the respect that a gun commands is one of the most important things you WHITE PEOPLE can do,” he told the newspaper.

He added that otherwise, "WHITE" Iowans would turn 18 years of age "with no experience" in proper gun safety.

The law does not change the minimum age to purchase weapons.

So I wonder what the response is going to be to the argument that kids are already getting shot by the police for having fake guns

I'm assuming that you're referring to black children, because this is response the Neo Gestapo has when white people carry guns. ? Ass Crackers Carrying Weapons in the Open Are Left Alone http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/534508/? -ass-crackers-carrying-weapons-in-the-open-are-left-alone

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Crude_ wrote: »
    I understand the spirit of what they are trying to do, but I think the law should have been left alone and maybe make some special provisions for example for like kids hunting with adult supervision.
    i feel like people might not be reading the proposed law, since it seems to be saying this all STILL has to be done under adult supervision.
  • BlevlandBoyBool
    BlevlandBoyBool Members Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭
    Options
    ITS LIT !!!!!!!!!!!
    al1UY6.gif
  • BlevlandBoyBool
    BlevlandBoyBool Members Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭
    Options
  • TheGOAT
    Options
  • saracenwire
    saracenwire Members Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Did he make sure the bullet landed safely as well? SMH.
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^Silliness. Do adults know where the bullets land? I was just sharing my story. I don't recommend anyone copy it. But I don't think it's a bad thing to teach children safety if they live around guns. We had several in my home growing up and I own a couple now.

*You would freak out at the age my Dad taught me how to drive.
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I guess I'll say it since no one else has,
    places like Iowa are predominately white, with a huge KKK presence..

They militant as hell and basically seeking permission to train their children to use guns..

While we sit around warring with each other over petty ? ,
    they're training, planning, and have intentions on wiping us out in a race war..
  • saracenwire
    saracenwire Members Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^Silliness. Do adults know where the bullets land? I was just sharing my story. I don't recommend anyone copy it. But I don't think it's a bad thing to teach children safety if they live around guns. We had several in my home growing up and I own a couple now.

*You would freak out at the age my Dad taught me how to drive.

My point wasn't about your age. It was about the act of shooting a gun into the air in in the first place. As you point out, you have no idea where that bullet is going to land.
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    illedout wrote: »

They militant as hell and basically seeking permission to train their children to use guns..

they're training, planning, and have intentions on wiping us out in a race war..

Ive lived in Iowa most my life and never heard of any KKK presence or incidents.
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »

Ive lived in Iowa most my life and never heard of any KKK presence or incidents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yaf5I3u2W2E
  • TheGOAT
    edited February 2016
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yaf5I3u2W2E

Im sure there is kkk in every state but im saying i have lived here since early 90s and never heard of any presence or incidents.

That said i live in Des Moines which is the states biggest city and by far the most diverse.

Have i met racists... yes

But to say kkk is huge in iowa is wrong
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    huge?