KEEP IT 100, WHEN STORES TELL YOU THAT YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE "MARK" TO BUY AND SELL FOOD..

Options

Comments

• zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    And the Book of Revelation has been discredited by religious scholars a long time ago, a ton of church leaders don't even accept the book anymore

Source?

I'm at work now but if you look it up, many church denominations have rejected the Book of Revelation. Even Martin Luther said it's not worthy of putting in the Bible.

most Lutheran denomination believe and up hold revelations " saying a ton of church leaders" means what??? what is exactly a ton of church leaders??? If you go to the websites of every major church in the world and you ask them about the canonical nature of revelations they will uphold it. there are Lutheran bibles with the revelation in them

I won't deny most churches now accept the Book of Revelation as canon to the Bible. It seems like the ramblings of a crazy person to me though.

The book is dripping in symbolism so therefore it won't be easy for the layman or the expert to to really understand but it does have a clear organization so it's not just ramblings

Well I've read it and a lot of it is very creative thinking for sure. Dragons and beasts coming from the ocean and ruling over everyone, until Jesus comes back? And Jesus basically waging genocide all across the world until everyone worships him?

Okay if you say so, but after 2000 years, I still don't see magical beasts with 666 written on them.

The beasts are not actually animals they are symbols for something else like i told you the book has a lot of symbols and you have to STUDY A LOT to even create a coherent and scriptural justifiable perspective on it.

I studied it and Revelation still seems like a bunch of bad dreams, if some of the visions there concretely came true by now, it would make more sense. The imagery of Jesus stabbing people to death all over the world because the beast is more loved then Jesus in the future is very bizarre.

And a red beast coming from the sky with ten crowns and seven heads, worshipped as a ? worldwide? Sounds like an animal to me. If the story isn't literal and I agree it isn't, I'm not really sure what Revelation's purpose is. It's not prophetic of anything.

Reading something once twice three times isn't studying it. The fact that you are still thinking that the beast are literally animals is an indication that you haven't studied
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    And the Book of Revelation has been discredited by religious scholars a long time ago, a ton of church leaders don't even accept the book anymore

Source?

I'm at work now but if you look it up, many church denominations have rejected the Book of Revelation. Even Martin Luther said it's not worthy of putting in the Bible.

most Lutheran denomination believe and up hold revelations " saying a ton of church leaders" means what??? what is exactly a ton of church leaders??? If you go to the websites of every major church in the world and you ask them about the canonical nature of revelations they will uphold it. there are Lutheran bibles with the revelation in them

I won't deny most churches now accept the Book of Revelation as canon to the Bible. It seems like the ramblings of a crazy person to me though.

The book is dripping in symbolism so therefore it won't be easy for the layman or the expert to to really understand but it does have a clear organization so it's not just ramblings

Well I've read it and a lot of it is very creative thinking for sure. Dragons and beasts coming from the ocean and ruling over everyone, until Jesus comes back? And Jesus basically waging genocide all across the world until everyone worships him?

Okay if you say so, but after 2000 years, I still don't see magical beasts with 666 written on them.

The beasts are not actually animals they are symbols for something else like i told you the book has a lot of symbols and you have to STUDY A LOT to even create a coherent and scriptural justifiable perspective on it.

I studied it and Revelation still seems like a bunch of bad dreams, if some of the visions there concretely came true by now, it would make more sense. The imagery of Jesus stabbing people to death all over the world because the beast is more loved then Jesus in the future is very bizarre.

And a red beast coming from the sky with ten crowns and seven heads, worshipped as a ? worldwide? Sounds like an animal to me. If the story isn't literal and I agree it isn't, I'm not really sure what Revelation's purpose is. It's not prophetic of anything.

You didnt study it or the history around it though. Reading doesnt equal study. Goes full circle into what I said about nobody learning anything. Ill drop some sparknotes

All prophecy foremost concern Israel
    Israel at the time subjects of Rome who violental put down any uprising
    Enter beast seven heads ten crows. This is how I know you didnt eally study
    Seven heads with rome being known as the city of seven hills
    Ten crows easily being seen as ten kings.

Rev
    10 And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space.

One is= Nero
    One who reigns short =Galba

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Source?

Reading something once twice three times isn't studying it. The fact that you are still thinking that the beast are literally animals is an indication that you haven't studied

I'm just describing it as written, I get that symbolism is involved but the problem is that there are so many different interpretations that it's almost impossible to see what is meant to be literal in the book and what's meant to be symbolism. Even Christians aren't totally united in the symbolism.

Is Jesus stabbing people to death all over the world for rejecting his "authority" in the future also symbolism or is that what Jesus is really gonna do?
  • kingblaze84
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »

Source?

You didnt study it or the history around it though. Reading doesnt equal study. Goes full circle into what I said about nobody learning anything. Ill drop some sparknotes

Rev
    10 And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space.

One is= Nero

That's only one interpretation though, there are several others. Up until this day, there are all kinds of ways to interpret the book, and that's my biggest problem with it. It's not clear one way or the other, though I agree the Roman Empire is likely among the references, there is way too much that is open to personal interpretation.

http://www.ptm.org/03PT/MarApr/4ViewsRev.htm
  • rodneyskinner
    rodneyskinner Members Posts: 135 ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    This is where the Bible gets exposed for hypocrisy. Why the Book of Revelation is a false prophesy. What is the mark of the beast. He said its a number 666. How do you decode this number using numerology. Don't worry he will tell you its the number of man. The number of man was a Pythagryn teaching and the book built to take down Babylon the great uses PAGAN teachings to do it.

The basis of numerology is the principle that all multi-digit numbers can be reduced to a single discharge (prime numbers from number 1 to number 9), which correspond to certain occult characteristics that influence a person’s life. That is for each single-digit fixed defining properties, concepts and images. Since the letters of the alphabet can be a numeric expression through its serial number, any words or names are the same numerological operations that number.

Numerology, like astrology helps determine the nature, natural talents, strengths, weaknesses, and predict the future, discover the most suitable time for decision-making and action. With the help of numerology you can choose partners – in business or marriage.

It is difficult to say exactly when numerology was born, for the reason that in ancient times (in Babylon, India, Egypt, Greece and Rome) a separate science just was not there was another more common form – arithmomania (prediction on numbers).

Basic principles of the present version of the Western numerology was developed in the VI century BC ancient Greek philosopher and mathematician Pythagoras, who combined mathematics of the Arabs, Druids, Egyptians, Phoenicians, and the sciences of human nature. Pythagoras traveled to Egypt, Chaldea and other countries; return, he founded in southern Italy special Philosophical Society.
  • zzombie
    Options
    using number as symbols does not equal numerology. numerology is much more complex than that and a wide variety of cultures have used numbers as symbols including the Israelite one rev 13:18 is not asking you to figure out the future using numbers it's just giving you an identification card for the ultimate anti-Christ

that is all it's not asking you to add up the numbers and figure out the future,

• The_Jackal
    Options

Source?

Rev

One is= Nero

That's only one interpretation though, there are several others. Up until this day, there are all kinds of ways to interpret the book, and that's my biggest problem with it. It's not clear one way or the other, though I agree the Roman Empire is likely among the references, there is way too much that is open to personal interpretation.

No there is not. I don't even know what website that is but according to them and the 4 views the only one that would contradict is the futurist and that requires taking every single thing in the bible literally and that's just foolish
  • kingblaze84
    edited March 2016
    Options

Source?

Rev

One is= Nero

No there is not. I don't even know what website that is but according to them and the 4 views the only one that would contradict is the futurist and that requires taking every single thing in the bible literally and that's just foolish

Well many Christians believe the main events of Revelation will literally happen as is, threadstarter and millions of other Christians believe this and many church leaders have said this as well historically. We agree it's not to be taken literally but the book is written in a way that can easily lead people to think it should be taken seriously and literally.

There is no easy way for a believer of the Bible to distinguish between the metaphorical and the literal in Revelation.

I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, ? will add to that person the plagues described in this book. (NRSV 22:18)

--Sounds like a book that's meant to be taken mostly literally.....the author of Revelation clearly wanted people to read the book as is, not adding words or other prophecies to it.

• kingblaze84
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Christians up until this day can't even agree which nation Babylon represents. Many preachers say America is Babylon, but some also say it's a nation that's yet to be formed. Some say it's the Catholic Church. The book is one wild goose chase, not sure why some still take it seriously. It's easy to see why past Christian officials fought so hard to prevent it from being accepted into canon.
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Christians up until this day can't even agree which nation Babylon represents. Many preachers say America is Babylon, but some also say it's a nation that's yet to be formed. Some say it's the Catholic Church. The book is one wild goose chase, not sure why some still take it seriously. It's easy to see why past Christian officials fought so hard to prevent it from being accepted into canon.

WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH THE THREAD?
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You need a credit/debit card or some type of username/password to buy and sell through most online stores.
  • rodneyskinner
    rodneyskinner Members Posts: 135 ✭✭
    Options
    using number as symbols does not equal numerology. numerology is much more complex than that and a wide variety of cultures have used numbers as symbols including the Israelite one rev 13:18 is not asking you to figure out the future using numbers it's just giving you an identification card for the ultimate anti-Christ

that is all it's not asking you to add up the numbers and figure out the future,

So a prophecy is not telling you the future. Here's the problem. The number 6 in astrology is a man's number. If they just used it to identify a person sort of like a street address 1 thing. They used the context of the word in its astrological meaning. So the number 6 being a man's number got its meaning from Astrology. More importantly it is predicting a future event where you will only be able to trade and is a sign of the time. The bible account would not be translated without the use of astrological sources.
  • zzombie
    Options

So a prophecy is not telling you the future. Here's the problem. The number 6 in astrology is a man's number. If they just used it to identify a person sort of like a street address 1 thing. They used the context of the word in its astrological meaning. So the number 6 being a man's number got its meaning from Astrology. More importantly it is predicting a future event where you will only be able to trade and is a sign of the time. The bible account would not be translated without the use of astrological sources.

You can only use the bible to understand the symbols in the bible. You are assuming that how people in astrology used 6 is how the bible is using 6. Astrology is also a varied practice not all astrological systems are the same.

Prophecy tells you the future, it's limited information. astrology is an attempt to learn more than what the prophecy provides.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    MARIO_DRO wrote: »

My basic point is there is no reason to take the Book of Revelation seriously, so much of it is not written clearly and its prophecies are not clear either, even to many Christians. Christians can't even agree which parts are literal and which are metaphorical.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Given what I understand about the Bible...I wouldn't take the mark.

The times are prepped for it. All we need is a circumstance where our credit/debit card are rendered useless.
  • The_Jackal
    Options

Source?

Rev

One is= Nero

Well many Christians believe the main events of Revelation will literally happen as is, threadstarter and millions of other Christians believe this and many church leaders have said this as well historically. We agree it's not to be taken literally but the book is written in a way that can easily lead people to think it should be taken seriously and literally.

There is no easy way for a believer of the Bible to distinguish between the metaphorical and the literal in Revelation.

I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, ? will add to that person the plagues described in this book. (NRSV 22:18)

--Sounds like a book that's meant to be taken mostly literally.....the author of Revelation clearly wanted people to read the book as is, not adding words or other prophecies to it.

Nobody is adding or subtracting anything from any prophecies. All we are doing is understand the knowledge of it, the history behind it, and how it relates to the past and current day.
  • The_Jackal
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Also like @zzombie said there are parts that are literal and parts that are symbolic and the truth is you will never know because you honestly research. When I say research I don't mean going on Google and looking up information I mean reading the bible and trying to understand it. Problem not that your an unbeliever it's that your completly dismissive of it. I don't have to believe in Greek and Roman mythology to enjoy the stories and see the symbols and culture leak into it. It's not meant to be easy
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also like @zzombie said there are parts that are literal and parts that are symbolic and the truth is you will never know because you honestly research. When I say research I don't mean going on Google and looking up information I mean reading the bible and trying to understand it. Problem not that your an unbeliever it's that your completly dismissive of it. I don't have to believe in Greek and Roman mythology to enjoy the stories and see the symbols and culture leak into it. It's not meant to be easy

He is saying all of it isn't true.... we know western semites did come from the Euphrates, that's a fact. The migration is definitely true, the details....meh...not so true in my research, but I can be wrong on some accounts. Did they really go around conquering people...yes they did, but they never mention the fact that Egypt kick their ass nor Hyksos period in which they lived in. They supported the Hyksos people and got messed up when the 18th dynasty rolled around. That is a fact. But this is why a lot of atheists/agnostics/skeptics are looked down upon cause you have some guys who don't study this or don't do a comparative study on it. The archaeology shows that the migration patterns did happen, but not in the way they said it happen. To make a great story regardless if there is a lot of historical evidence you must exaggerate to make it thrilling. I think that's what he is missing.
  • MARIO_DRO
    Options
    Bodhi wrote: »
    You need a credit/debit card or some type of username/password to buy and sell through most online stores.

OHHH, SO YOU DONT HAVE A MONEY MACHINE HOOKED UP TO YOUR COMPUTER WHEN U BUY ONLINE??? I STICK MY DOLLARS IN MY CD SLOT AND PAY JUST LIKE THAT

SHUT YO ? UP!
  • MARIO_DRO
    Options

My basic point is there is no reason to take the Book of Revelation seriously, so much of it is not written clearly and its prophecies are not clear either, even to many Christians. Christians can't even agree which parts are literal and which are metaphorical.

NOHOMO, BUT..

BRUH, I BEEN FOLLOWING YOUR STORY ABOUT CHRIST FOR SOME YEARS NOW... I KNOW YOU USED TO BE A CHRISTIAN AND SOMETHING HAPPEND TO WHERE YOU GAVE UP ON CHRIST AND ITS LIKE NOW YOU ARE STILL HURT AND OR UPSET AT ? AND YOU ARE DOING YOUR BEST TO PROVE HIS WORD WRONG.... I REALLY THINK YOU WANNA BELIEVE BUT JUST WANT ? TO HEAR YOU.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options

SHUT YO ? UP!

..says the grown man who thought DNA determines what language you speak.

What I'm saying is, what makes this mark any different from something like a card that's already required to buy and sell online?
    In order to have these types of things, you need a social security number.
    I guess I should have simplified the argument for you.
    Sorry.
  • kingblaze84
    edited March 2016
    Options

SHUT YO ? UP!

..says the grown man who thought DNA determines what language you speak.

What I'm saying is, what makes this mark any different from something like a card that's already required to buy and sell online?
    In order to have these types of things, you need a social security number.
    I guess I should have simplified the argument for you.
    Sorry.

LOL but yeah, we use number marks to identify us already. It's been this way for a long time now.
  • kingblaze84
    Options

NOHOMO, BUT..

BRUH, I BEEN FOLLOWING YOUR STORY ABOUT CHRIST FOR SOME YEARS NOW... I KNOW YOU USED TO BE A CHRISTIAN AND SOMETHING HAPPEND TO WHERE YOU GAVE UP ON CHRIST AND ITS LIKE NOW YOU ARE STILL HURT AND OR UPSET AT ? AND YOU ARE DOING YOUR BEST TO PROVE HIS WORD WRONG.... I REALLY THINK YOU WANNA BELIEVE BUT JUST WANT ? TO HEAR YOU.

Well I would say my faith in the Bible ? died away when I realized my prayers for world peace and less suffering worldwide didn't really go anywhere, and the year 2000 coming and nothing happening didn't help either lol. Then I started reading more about the prophecies of the Messiah and realized Jesus failed a ton of them and therefore was not a real messiah. And I was always the skeptical type anyway, I question almost everything until I see proof to believe it. It's not a personal thing as you make it seem, just more of an observation thing.

The funny thing though is that I am open to a higher power being out there, but I see very little reason to think the Bible ? is real. The Book of Revelation doesn't help the Bible's case.

• kingblaze84
    edited March 2016
    Options

I enjoy mythology stories too, I've read many of the stories of past gods and find them interesting as well. But in the end, I probably am dismissive of Revelation. I guess I'm dismissive of it because so much of it is written as a giant, incoherent dream, and I always hear different answers from Christians themselves on which parts are literal and which are not. I've asked Christians if Jesus is really going to butcher billions of people worldwide with a sword and plagues for supporting different gods or being non-believers, and I've always gotten different answers.

I just don't think it's well written book for a so called prophecy, but as a story book, some parts are a little interesting.
  • The_Jackal
    Options

I enjoy mythology stories too, I've read many of the stories of past gods and find them interesting as well. But in the end, I probably am dismissive of Revelation. I guess I'm dismissive of it because so much of it is written as a giant, incoherent dream, and I always hear different answers from Christians themselves on which parts are literal and which are not. I've asked Christians if Jesus is really going to butcher billions of people worldwide with a sword and plagues for supporting different gods or being non-believers, and I've always gotten different answers.

I just don't think it's well written book for a so called prophecy, but as a story book, some parts are a little interesting.

First bonded I honestly think your lying. Revelation is no different then most end time prophecies if you can comprehend those then you can at least grasp a little knowledge from it.

For the second bolded just keep it 100 your dismissive of it because you dislike/hate christianity and you didlike/hate christian ? . Stop dancing around the topic like you don't when it's clear you do.

Also another error thst you face is by the time Jesus returns there are no different Gods the world wholly worships the beast. As far as the claim of butchering as in killing people with a sword.
    Rev 19.15
    And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations:

Rev 1.16
    And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword

Rev 2.16
    Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.

Along with a few other verses there is a reason why each time Jesus is mentioned with a sword it comes from his mouth but you rather not understand it and continue to justify your hatred of the religion