How America Made Donald Trump Unstoppable

Options
janklow
janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
oh Matt Taibbi, when you're sincerely outraged, you ? me up
How America Made Donald Trump Unstoppable
It turns out we let our electoral process devolve into something so fake and dysfunctional that any half-bright con man with the stones to try it could walk right through the front door and tear it to shreds on the first go. And Trump is no half-bright con man, either. He's way better than average.
"If we get smoked up there, I'm going back to Ohio," he lamented. Kasich in person puts on a brave face, but he also frequently rolls his eyes in an expression of ostentatious misanthropy that says, "I can't believe I'm losing to these idiots."
Rubio's face-plant brilliantly reprised Sir Ian Holm's performance in Alien, as a malfunctioning, disembodied robot head stammering, "I admire its purity," while covered in milky android goo. It was everything we hate about scripted mannequin candidates captured in a brief ? in the political façade.
He talks, for instance, about the anti-trust exemption enjoyed by insurance companies, an atrocity dating back more than half a century, to the McCarran-Ferguson Act of 1945. This law, sponsored by one of the most notorious legislators in our history (Nevada Sen. Pat McCarran was thought to be the inspiration for the corrupt Sen. Pat Geary in The Godfather II), allows insurance companies to share information and collude to divvy up markets. Neither the Republicans nor the Democrats made a serious effort to overturn this indefensible loophole during the debate over the Affordable Care Act.
He used a German term, backpfeifengesicht, literally "a face in need of a good punch," to describe Cruz. This may be overstating things a little. Cruz certainly has an odd face – it looks like someone sewed pieces of a waterlogged Reagan mask together at gunpoint – but it's his tone more than anything that gets you. He speaks slowly and loudly and in the most histrionic language possible, as if he's certain you're too stupid to grasp that he is for freedom.
Every four years, some Democrat who's been a lifelong friend of labor runs for president. And every four years, that Democrat gets thrown over by national labor bosses in favor of some party lifer with his signature on a half-dozen job-exporting free-trade agreements. It's called "transactional politics," and the operating idea is that workers should back the winner, rather than the most union-friendly candidate.

This year, national leaders of several prominent unions went with Hillary Clinton – who, among other things, supported her husband's efforts to pass NAFTA – over Bernie Sanders. ? , the rank and file in many locals revolted. In New Hampshire, for instance, a Service Employees International Union local backed Sanders despite the national union's endorsement of Clinton, as did an International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers chapter.
He goes on. "And he's right with Hillary because, look, she's receiving a fortune from a lot of people."
At a Democratic town hall in Derry, New Hampshire, Hillary's strangely pathetic answer about why she accepted $675,000 from Goldman to give speeches – "That's what they offered" – seemed doomed to become a touchstone for the general-election contest. Trump would go out on Day One of that race and blow $675,000 on a pair of sable underwear, or a solid-gold happy-face necktie. And he'd wear it 24 hours a day, just to remind voters that his opponent sold out for the Trump equivalent of lunch money.

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That was hard to read(annoying).. i cant vibe with the Dennis Millersisms

the funniest thing is the fact that everyone recognizes that Cruz has the ultimate punchable face i liken him to

78e8252578cfd97db36b354300dd910b.jpg

....what do you know.... they have the same first name.

;)
  • the dukester
    the dukester Members Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I concur. Ted Cruz, definitely has a very punchable face.....It looks very ? , that it!! He has a ? , that's reflected in his personality.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They gave him money..
  • Logic Last
    Logic Last Members Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ted Cruz is gonna be the nominee. I just have a feeling. He's diabolical
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Ted Cruz is gonna be the nominee. I just have a feeling. He's diabolical

Cruz scares me much more then Trump. SMH at him wanting to abolish the IRS and hiring a Bush official to run his foreign policy. Like America doesn't have enough financial and foreign problems.
  • janklow
    Options
    SMH at him wanting to abolish the IRS-
    i don't even take this promise seriously because it's fundamentally not a serious stance

• Cleveland7venty6
    Cleveland7venty6 Members Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    give em a chance. four years aint that long. remember Romney? if he ? up, they got more than enough time to reload with a better canidate. Bush/Clinton 92 style. sheesh.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    i don't even take this promise seriously because it's fundamentally not a serious stance

True, but why is Ted foolish enough to say something like that? He's full of weird and bizarre ideas.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Speaking of Ted, the cyber group Anonymous claims holy roller Ted Cruz has slept with multiple women since his marriage....Anonymous says Ted Cruz is a big fan of prostitutes and has even warned him to leave the presidential campaign before they release proof of it

http://www.inquisitr.com/2933587/anonymous-releases-chilling-message-about-ted-cruz-prostitution-ring-secret-amid-looming-allegations-but-theres-more-to-it/

https://youtu.be/3vV5jLoSmko
  • janklow
    Options
    True, but why is Ted foolish enough to say something like that? He's full of weird and bizarre ideas.
    red meat for the base. "I WILL CRUSH THE IRS AND EAT ITS BONES"
    Speaking of Ted, the cyber group Anonymous claims holy roller Ted Cruz has slept with multiple women since his marriage....Anonymous says Ted Cruz is a big fan of prostitutes and has even warned him to leave the presidential campaign before they release proof of it
    meh... do it or don't. remember that "KKK member" outing that came and went?

• The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Republicans been saying that and thinking that every since Hamilton blow them the ? out and forced them to create the Southern Democrats. It ain't nothing new at all
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    red meat for the base. "I WILL CRUSH THE IRS AND EAT ITS BONES"
    meh... do it or don't. remember that "KKK member" outing that came and went?

Destroying an agency that collects taxes that eventually provides social services is "red meat" for Republicans? That's a very sad commentary on the Republican party. Somalia and Afghanistan have no real government and we see how those places are working out.

And was that "KKK" member a part of Trump's campaign supposedly? I guess there was no evidence of that (or he quit) but multiple sources claim Ted Cruz was sleeping around on his wife, so I wouldn't doubt Anonymous on this one.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »

Republicans been saying that and thinking that every since Hamilton blow them the ? out and forced them to create the Southern Democrats. It ain't nothing new at all

I've always thought it was a fringe part of the Republican Party that wants to abolish the IRS but with Ted Cruz being the only serious contender to Trump, I guess more Republicans believe in that then I thought. I'm not the biggest fan of the IRS (especially after what I owe them next month) but without them collecting taxes, America would be just another random 2nd or 3rd world nation. In 2016, considering abolishing the IRS, especially with our debt, is the height of social and financial irresponsibility.
  • janklow
    Options
    Destroying an agency that collects taxes-
    stop there and that's the point. again, it's a fundamentally unserious position. doesn't help that the current administration allows it to be politicized.
    And was that "KKK" member a part of Trump's campaign supposedly? I guess there was no evidence of that (or he quit) but multiple sources claim Ted Cruz was sleeping around on his wife, so I wouldn't doubt Anonymous on this one.
    no, it was their whole "revealing all these politicians to be secret KKK members" that named a bunch of random people based on... uh... *crickets noise* and then basically got retracted.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Destroying an agency that collects taxes-
    stop there and that's the point. again, it's a fundamentally unserious position. doesn't help that the current administration allows it to be politicized.
    no, it was their whole "revealing all these politicians to be secret KKK members" that named a bunch of random people based on... uh... *crickets noise* and then basically got retracted.

Ohh, I didn't hear about that one, that's a shame. I think Anonymous has to prove they are for real when it comes to Rafael, he might win Wisconsin next week.
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To be fair, it is my understanding that the core of Cruz's proposal is to simplify the tax code- namely apply a 10% Flat tax on consumers and a 16% Flat tax on businesses; the merits of which is a seperate debate, entirely.

But, as @janklow stated- this nonsense about abolishing the IRS is asinine and just fodder for political warfare.

How are you going to collect taxes without a tax collector? ...

the Honor System? ... It's not a serious position.

• janklow
    Options
    Ohh, I didn't hear about that one, that's a shame. I think Anonymous has to prove they are for real when it comes to Rafael, he might win Wisconsin next week.
    as i hate Trump, i guess i'm rooting for Cruz here?

but it's also possible that since the major publication flogging the Cruz rumors is cozy with Trump, it might have some level of bias...
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    as i hate Trump, i guess i'm rooting for Cruz here?

but it's also possible that since the major publication flogging the Cruz rumors is cozy with Trump, it might have some level of bias...

I suppose that's possible, but I also have heard from several sources Marco Rubio's campaign has leaked some of the rumors and Anonymous claims to have a video. So these are multiple sources on top of the National Enquirer story. Where there's smoke, there's fire but I do agree nothing is proven, yet....

Either way rooting for Cruz is strange since his policies are probably more radical then Trump's .

• janklow
    Options
    I suppose that's possible, but I also have heard from several sources Marco Rubio's campaign has leaked some of the rumors and Anonymous claims to have a video. So these are multiple sources on top of the National Enquirer story. Where there's smoke, there's fire but I do agree nothing is proven, yet....
    "where there's smoke there's fire" can be used to label almost every politician with a fictional story or three, so we should probably stick to what's proven. and it's not necessarily sources in addition to the NE story if Rubio's camp was the original source.

meanwhile, i'll wait for Anonymous to actually produce something.
    Either way rooting for Cruz is strange since his policies are probably more radical then Trump's.
    single-issue voting
    also, Cruz may be the actual adult between the two of them