NBA Slam Dunk Contest - Legendary Battle - Michael Jordan vs Dominique Wilkins

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in From the Cheap Seats
I remember watching this, At the time these were the most amazing dunks that anybody had ever seen. The Dunk Contest has come a long way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0sGsFcW4xI

Comments

• O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 5 Grand
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I don't know if you're joking or not but Dominique Wilkins was the Vince Carter of his era. He won the dunk contest a few times and his nickname was the Human Highlight Film. But alas, he never won a championship, in fact I don't think he ever went to the finals.

According to Wikipedia;
    With the exception of his rookie season and his last three NBA seasons, Wilkins never averaged fewer than 20 points per game and captured a scoring title in 1985–86 with an average of 30.3 points per game.
    A nine-time NBA All-Star and the winner of two NBA slam dunk contests, Wilkins registered 26,668 points and 7,169 rebounds in his NBA career. As of 2016, he ranks 12th on the NBA scoring list.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I never heard of him...he played for the hawks a long time?
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    I never heard of him...he played for the hawks a long time?

Yeah he played for the Hawks for the bulk of his career. Then when he turned around 34/35 he started getting traded around.

He came in the league around the same time as Michael Jordan. He was a really spectacular player to watch, he did fancy dunks in the middle of a game but he wasn't much of a passer. I can remember him being double and triple teamed and still trying to shoot the ball instead of passing it.

But he participated in the Slam Dunk contest in the 80s and early 90s.

He's in the Hall of Fame, but if I were going to make an all time NBA team, I don't think I'd pick him. Just to give you an idea, he's a Hall of Famer but he didn't get picked for the 1992 Dream Team.
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? had them gazelle hops

picture the way they dunked on nba jam....then watch him....i think thats where they got the inspiration from
  • 5 Grand
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Dominique Wilkins Top 10 Dunks Of His Career

He ethers Larry Bird @ 1:12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ju0mAzCLeA
  • 5 Grand
    Options
  • Beta
    Options
    I think Blake Griffin is a better dunker
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    O.G. wrote: »
    who?

hes the guy fans voted in 92 to the all star game

he didnt even play a game AND he brought some aids with him
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    According to wikipedia, Dominique Wilkins is;
    1 of 7 players in NBA history to average at least 25 points per game for 10 consecutive seasons: 1984–85-1993–94 Jerry West, Michael Jordan, Karl Malone, Shaquille O'Neal, Allen Iverson, and LeBron James have also achieved this.
  • Beta
    Options
    When I think of hawks I think of Josh Smith, bibby, Joe Johnson, and horford not this guy....

Oh wait is he the announcer guy that beat up that fan? Didn't know he was a good player
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't recognize any of these dudes.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm LOL'g at the supreme trolling in here.

And yeah: that poster by 'Nique on Bird just made into my Top 6. ? .
  • RobCoLife
    RobCoLife Members Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No
  • 5 Grand
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Another good dunk contest would be the one in 1986. That was when Spud Webb, who was 5'7", went up against Dominique, 6'7" in the finals. They both played for the Atlanta Hawks at the time. I think Michael Jordan was injured that year with a broken foot. As I remember it, they both did 360s but Spud Webb got a higher score because he's only 5'7".

Spud Webb ended up winning that year.

Edit.

Here it is, the 1986 dunk contest. I'm not sure if this is the whole thing as I haven't watched it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8WuHusG7qw
  • Beta
    Options
    RobCoLife wrote: »

No

All that other guy had was boring windmills over and over
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    RobCoLife wrote: »

No

All that other guy had was boring windmills over and over

Yeah the dunk contest has come a long way. Back in the 80s you could get a perfect score for doing a 360 or jumping from the foul line (one foot on the foul line). Nowadays if you do a 360 or jump from the foul line you gotta put the ball through your legs to get a perfect score.

But I figured it out; In the 80s basketball players didn't lift weights, so they couldn't jump as high. Nowadays NBA athletes lift weights with their legs so they can jump higher. Thats why the dunks are better.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Here's the Top 40 Best Dunk Contest Dunks - All Time (1984-2014)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSlPLO-tNNM

Yeah I know, the dunks have gotten better but its good to compare the 80s dunk contests to the new ones.

The way I remember it, people ran out of ideas after Spud Webb, Dominique Wilkins and Michael Jordan. The dunks in the 90s were the same dunks over and over again. Then they went two years without a dunk contest (1998/99). When they reinstated the dunk contest in 2000 Vince Carter came with some new ideas. Also players started lifting weights so they can jump higher than they could in the 80s.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Legendary Mike truly did fly

1.AirJordan.jpg
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Game dunking and making up dunks as you go along are two different things, and ? was jumping just as high back then
This discussion has been closed.