What is the best way to find a new job?

Options

Comments

• SimplyKrys
    SimplyKrys Members Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have a phone interview coming up! Go me!
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Walked into a job interview today and they started off with questions about my driving record. I had a misdemeanor DUI on my record so I had to tell them and they instantly turned me down because of it. They said their company insurance wouldnt cover employees to drive vehicles on the property smh. Dude told me that I had the experience I was looking for as he was walking me out the door.......
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    texas409 wrote: »
    Walked into a job interview today and they started off with questions about my driving record. I had a misdemeanor DUI on my record so I had to tell them and they instantly turned me down because of it. They said their company insurance wouldnt cover employees to drive vehicles on the property smh. Dude told me that I had the experience I was looking for as he was walking me out the door.......

Move to Charlotte man they all kinds of jobs...3/4 of me so t paying ? but money money right. Mfers at my job come to work sober and High as hell by lunch...explain that ? ......good people though.
  • SimplyKrys
    SimplyKrys Members Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm going to a job fair tomorrow. Wish me luck.
  • whatevathehell
    Options
    Anyone ever been through that star method of interviewing.....experienced it today....garbage if you ask me
  • texas409
    Options
    Anyone ever been through that star method of interviewing.....experienced it today....garbage if you ask me

every interview I go on does that. Tell me a time when type of questions. Its ?
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I hate it. First few interviews I had where that method was used were trash interviews on my end. You have to practice before those type interviews. Maybe the night before, list some situations you've experienced from previous jobs and list out the situations, the tasks, the action you took to solve the task, and the results. When you're listing off results, these companies like to hear numbers; I.e, I saved the company 200K by decreasing waste by 8%.
  • whatevathehell
    Options
    AggieLean. wrote: »

I hate it. First few interviews I had where that method was used were trash interviews on my end. You have to practice before those type interviews. Maybe the night before, list some situations you've experienced from previous jobs and list out the situations, the tasks, the action you took to solve the task, and the results. When you're listing off results, these companies like to hear numbers; I.e, I saved the company 200K by decreasing waste by 8%.

sound like you an engineer.......or manager of some kind....I can understand those kinds of question for someone at your level..but Im still a blue collar foot soldier....I just follow established procedure. anything out of the ordinary I report to upper level management. I feel they are worthless to me and the jobs I apply for.
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The career I have now had the star method. To get ready I basically just memorized, so to speak, everything I've done in my work life up until that point. That way I felt zi wad ready for any question they asked. My time in the military was a big part of my answers as well.
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    8ho42fn69eje.jpg
    Not trying to be presumptuous or cute, but I thought this was pretty awesome resource. Please share, and support these companies.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anybody apart of a construction or laborers union? I'm about to hop in one in July. Trying to get some feedback and opinions.
  • whatevathehell
    edited May 2017
    Options
  • texas409
    Options
    just got offered a job about 3 hrs away but the only thing is that its a limited scope position and that it was initially supposed to be a 5 month position but the supervisor told me that it will become a full time position so im kinda conflicted on if I wanna go out there and they dont make it full time
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    just got offered a job about 3 hrs away but the only thing is that its a limited scope position and that it was initially supposed to be a 5 month position but the supervisor told me that it will become a full time position so im kinda conflicted on if I wanna go out there and they dont make it full time

Haven't you been looking for work for some time? Man, if the pay is decent, I'd take it. Move out there and work your ass off...get that perm position. I'd even still be looking for work while doing this job. Gotta start somewhere...
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

? you better hop on that ? . YOU are going to determine whether they make it a full time position or not.
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If it doesnt become full time you still have 5 more months of experience and if you manage properly youll be in a good position financially to find another opportunity
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    After actively looking for a job for the past couple months, the best way to find a job is to know someone.

I guess that's what makes networking crucial.
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kat wrote: »
    After actively looking for a job for the past couple months, the best way to find a job is to know someone.

I need to get to know more people and go to more networking events I hate that I was stubborn when I was younger when my dad was trying to tell me about the benefits of networking events
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kat wrote: »

It really REALLY is. Unfortunately for me im pretty anti social. Maybe i will look into a job fair or something if i hear of one coming around. I dont need a job, but i definitely dont care to do what im doing for the rest of my life. Or with the company for that matter, cant see anything above me that i would enjoy either.
  • hoodsavior
    hoodsavior Members Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've moved to texas and i kinda hate the job market.. Its staffing central, love that temp to hire rope a dope, and a right to fire state.. Its a lot of jobs but im 32 and need vacation days..
  • texas409
    Options
    hoodsavior wrote: »
    I've moved to texas and i kinda hate the job market.. Its staffing central, love that temp to hire rope a dope, and a right to fire state.. Its a lot of jobs but im 32 and need vacation days..

what kind of work do you do?
  • hoodsavior
    hoodsavior Members Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hoodsavior wrote: »

what kind of work do you do?

Worked for the water dept in philly for i years, degree in culinary arts (over it tho), can do office and customer service.. Sold cars for toyota but im over comission based jobs too
  • WYRM
    WYRM Members Posts: 993 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Buy a gun, screw the job, the gun is a career builder.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Smh 3 offers on the table. All within the same day of course. And each one of would be a potential good fit for what i'm trying to do with my career. I am undecided and never really dealt with this before.

2 of the offers is in finance and the other one is in design. There's things I really like (but don't love) about working in finance and there are things I love (but don't necessarily like) about design. The design offer isn't paying what my true market value is, but the guy was at least willing to bump up the starting pay to my minimum pay requirements, also with guaranteed room for growth as well. It's not a super cool name brand company like Nike or nothing - just a mom and pop shop basically, but after talking to the guy I became sympathetic to what he's trying to do (the business would really benefit from having a candidate like me with my skill set on board and he wants them to stick around) and told him i'd accept the offer for the position to start next week.

Soon after I left the interview I check my email and 2 other people reach out to me with offers - one of which was referred to me by brother at church - in a field I've been shooting for the past few weeks with no luck until now. I'm pretty sure both the offers have way higher earning potential from the gate. I want to at least see what the offers is all about with respect to them both considering me for the opportunity, but I'm feeling some kinda way since I pretty much already gave the other dude a commitment to start (although no guarantees to stay long term).

I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle this. What NOT to do in this situation? I already emailed one of the lady's and told her to call me today.
  • whatevathehell
    Options
    Fosheezy wrote: »
    Smh 3 offers on the table. All within the same day of course. And each one of would be a potential good fit for what i'm trying to do with my career. I am undecided and never really dealt with this before.

2 of the offers is in finance and the other one is in design. There's things I really like (but don't love) about working in finance and there are things I love (but don't necessarily like) about design. The design offer isn't paying what my true market value is, but the guy was at least willing to bump up the starting pay to my minimum pay requirements, also with guaranteed room for growth as well. It's not a super cool name brand company like Nike or nothing - just a mom and pop shop basically, but after talking to the guy I became sympathetic to what he's trying to do (the business would really benefit from having a candidate like me with my skill set on board and he wants them to stick around) and told him i'd accept the offer for the position to start next week.

Soon after I left the interview I check my email and 2 other people reach out to me with offers - one of which was referred to me by brother at church - in a field I've been shooting for the past few weeks with no luck until now. I'm pretty sure both the offers have way higher earning potential from the gate. I want to at least see what the offers is all about with respect to them both considering me for the opportunity, but I'm feeling some kinda way since I pretty much already gave the other dude a commitment to start (although no guarantees to stay long term).

I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle this. What NOT to do in this situation? I already emailed one of the lady's and told her to call me today.

I would follow up on all job offers as far as you can or at least for enough time for you to decide what you really want.

Me personally, and this is coming from a job hopper so take it for what it is....I would take the offer that starts first just to get some money rolling in and if something better comes along jump ship and go with that.

but if you got some kinda personal moral issue with that then go with what feels right to you.