What is the best way to find a new job?

Options

Comments

• willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Get a LinkedIn profile and sign up for specific job posts

I was thinking about doing this myself but I have so many concerns and questions about making a LinkedIn profile being that the site is so damn public and all your information can be seen out in the open.
  • willhustle
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    I was going to talk about this particular topic on the next General Business conference call. I'll drop some jewels....

VOLUNTEER - this will go very far and if you do, be sure to get in touch with the head supervisor and ask if you can use them as a reference. In addition, if you can, get a volunteer number. When you have to do a background check they will see if it matches. It's about generating experience and volunteering is the best way to do that in your down time. Most employers want to know if you have good people skills. The key to volunteering is to find one main place to volunteer with for an extended period of time (typically 3 months). Most employers aren't expecting students to have direct experience that's why for entry level positions the experience requested is always vague. I've know people who worked at coffee shops with no experience of finance get entry level - good paying jobs as bankers. They got their foot in the door is what I'm trying to tell you. Volunteering goes a long way.

Visit A Job Counsellor - My homegirl works as one and one of the most common things she sees is most young people don't know how to conduct themselves in an interview. Employers purposely throw questions out to test you i.e. "speak on a time you had to bend the rules to get something done" - that's a question about ethics, the correct answer is "never" but a lot of people fall for stuff like this. A job counsellor can tell you EXACTLY what an employer is looking for, questions they will ask, how to structure a resume, how to conduct yourself in an interview and how to prepare for the process. In some cases they can even suggest valuable resources to actually get your resume seen and heard. I strongly suggest you check with one to make sure you're ? is set up properly. If you not getting interviews you should definitely sit down with one.

Structure Your Resume Properly - The longer you've been at a job the better. Try to put yourself in the employer's shoes, they want to see you've been somewhere for a period of time - it shows consistency. If you've jumped from place to place, a job counsellor will show you how to take the best of your working experience to tailor it to your employer's tastes. It doesn't matter if the role isn't relevant to the position you're applying for - while it DOES HELP A LOT if you don't have the experience you need to learn how to take the past positions you had and tailor certain aspects of it to the job description.

Background checks - some employers are different and have a set criteria. For many entry level positions, they want to make sure at least ONE of your references is consistent. An employer cannot ask why a person was laid off or anything like that. They can probe with certain types of questions. Be sure to be upfront about anything and transparent especially about criminal background checks. Things like a failed drug test can be overlooked.

Dress Properly For An Interview - You'd be surprised to know it's ? still against rocking a suit and tie. No one cares if you despise corporate, they're the ones doing you the favour, they're the ones giving you the opportunity. The trade off is simple, they will pay you to do the work and represent their brand, the least you could do is dress appropriately. You can complain all you but what you won't do the next guy will and it's really not asking for much. A well dressed man is a sign of good manners. Wear a suit and tie, sit upright, dress shoes, dress socks, haircut, all that. You dress your best on that day and go in to ? it. You dress to impress there should be no exceptions. Leave the Jordans and fitted caps at home (just because Russell Simmons do it don't mean you can, Uncle Russ is worth $500 million and is self-employed he can do that - you fools can't yet), iron your clothes, if you're over the age of 25 invest in shirts and ties, belts, etc. Invest in a tailor, really it's not expensive at all. DRESS THE PART TO GET THE PART.

MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) - if you don't have much of a formal education you can learn about your industry by taking these. Many of them allow you to obtain diplomas, certificates, nano degrees, and other professional designations for a far cheaper cost and in some cases for free. You can also attach them to a LinkedIn profile for prospective employers can see. They help you not only get a job, but also educate yourself in whatever you're interested in. MOOCs are offered by virtually every type of school in the world. You can go here for more information and links:

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/512344/free-online-education-moocs-from-yale-duke-berkley-ect#latest

Certificates & Professional Designations - In a lot of industries they will take you a lot further than a formal education/bachelor's degree. Especially in the IT field. If an employer can see that you've completed designations that can aid with the licensing process of something or show you have an understanding of the technology or whatever it is they will be more likely to call your resume versus others. You're an investment and as I say, you get what you put in. If you invest in yourself you will bring out the best in yourself.

Look For Entry Level Positions - the hardest part for most young people is paying dues, because in all their youth you feel entitled to having the success quickly and in abundance. Sometimes it happens quickly, sometimes it takes a long time. Either way if you're a student or don't have much experience apply for entry level positions first and work your way up. If you have experience skip this part.

For Entrepreneurs - If you worked for yourself put it on your resume and be confident about it even if you didn't make a lot of money as long as you can show for it or have filed taxes you're fine. One more a job counsellor can help you tailor even self-employment to an employer. I know I know, everyone is a boss these days but hey who knows, there's nothing wrong with working for a company while you build your business on the side. Depending on what it is tho, some employers will hire you and ask you to not do it anymore citing conflict of interest but that's rare. If you still have issues, there are ways online you can teach courses about your industry and what you know to make money.

Apply for Small & Mid-sized Businesses - Get to know who the players are in your field, you can find free trade publications online and get a general idea of the who's who in your industry. If you're interested in say retail or pharmaceuticals you can go to NASDAQ and screen for companies with market caps of less than $500 million (these are small businesses) and many of them are hiring. Not everyone needs to be working for the 5 star, big name company, the best opportunities often reside with small and mid sized companies who want to train you, educate you and grow with you - especially if you're a good employee. A lot of these companies are looking for interns, temps, part timers and young, hungry students. Change your perspective and heed perceptions, it's competitive trying to get with the big name companies but a lot easier to go for small and mid-sized companies because not many people know who they are just yet until they get big. Understand btw, these companies may not have benefits trickled all the way down the way a bigger employer might but that's not everyone, there are some who do (for example Atwood Oceanics is a small oil driller that will even pay for an employee's education inside and outside the company and tries to position them for future roles within the company).

This is all great advice as usual but if you have an interview in the summer whose going to be wearing a full suit? Shouldn't a shirt & tie, pants and nice shoes be enough?
  • willhustle
    Options
    Khaleesi wrote: »
    The best tip I can give is to actually LOOK for one.
    People be looking for a job once a year and be telling everyone that they be looking.

You need to be looking consistently throughout the day.. A minimum of 3 times a day and apply apply apply.

People get rejected once and they give up and say there ain't no jobs.

I never have a problem getting a job. Even in ? ass Florida where there's a shortage. Just apply apply apply until your fingers get arthritis.

Also, I word of mouth is usually the best and guaranteed route so network network network.

Try being in Detroit and then say that again...
  • willhustle
    Options
    BoyPussy wrote: »
    Through connections

Pico your troll levels are on 100,000 but man you need to change that s/n
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    willhustle wrote: »
    The best tip I can give is to actually LOOK for one.
    People be looking for a job once a year and be telling everyone that they be looking.

You need to be looking consistently throughout the day.. A minimum of 3 times a day and apply apply apply.

People get rejected once and they give up and say there ain't no jobs.

I never have a problem getting a job. Even in ? ass Florida where there's a shortage. Just apply apply apply until your fingers get arthritis.

Also, I word of mouth is usually the best and guaranteed route so network network network.

Try being in Detroit and then say that again...

Preach. There's a big IT job fair next Tuesday I'm hitting it up
  • Alpha_Ambition
    Alpha_Ambition Members Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I was thinking about doing this myself but I have so many concerns and questions about making a LinkedIn profile being that the site is so damn public and all your information can be seen out in the open.

It's only work history and people usually post only business stuff. You can get real engagement on there and have good convos. Also you put up what you want. For example instead of putting your work history. You can put up just the industry and work experience you have by category. There are plenty of articles about looking for work incognito.

@willhustle
  • willhustle
    Options

It's only work history and people usually post only business stuff. You can get real engagement on there and have good convos. Also you put up what you want. For example instead of putting your work history. You can put up just the industry and work experience you have by category. There are plenty of articles about looking for work incognito.

@willhustle

Thanks
  • white sympathizer
    white sympathizer Members Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Guess seeing as i was on an interview for a higher position internally at another location i can add

Ok first off, the location is in new york on park ave and you have to have your name on a list like a damn club to get past the front desk, the person i was interviewing with didnt give them my name ahead of time and didnt answer the phone when the front desk called their extension, straight amateur hour from the jump.

Then finally like 20 mins later i had to end up calling the interviewer to ask to be let past the front desk, so they finally came down and met me directly and took me to the conference room for the interview, we start talking and like 5 mins in another person just shows up who i didnt know and sat down and all of a sudden this ? is a tag team interview, threw me off my ? a little bit but i think i still did good.

But yeah interviews can be a ? .
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    What are some ideas to land a job that I want in a reasonable amount of time without becoming angry, frustrated, ? off and tired?

That's not going to happen if you're on the outside looking in. You're going to have to network and join vocational and/or social organizations centered around the field that you want to get into. Of course, they always say join Toast Masters. If you're opened to it, Rex says start smoking cigars, sooner or later you'll meet somebody that will hook you up, move to another country, or join the military.
    I never have a problem getting a job.

So says the pretty, hot, and sexy black girl with big ? .

pics or not true
  • whatevathehell
    Options
    A little sick and tired of my current job....just came in to add...dont be afraid to move outside your comfort zone. Me personally, im considering up and moving if the money good enough. This also applies to working environments and jobs...threadstarter wants to work in a particular fueld but he may need to take a more unconventional route.
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Guess seeing as i was on an interview for a higher position internally at another location i can add

Ok first off, the location is in new york on park ave and you have to have your name on a list like a damn club to get past the front desk, the person i was interviewing with didnt give them my name ahead of time and didnt answer the phone when the front desk called their extension, straight amateur hour from the jump.

Then finally like 20 mins later i had to end up calling the interviewer to ask to be let past the front desk, so they finally came down and met me directly and took me to the conference room for the interview, we start talking and like 5 mins in another person just shows up who i didnt know and sat down and all of a sudden this ? is a tag team interview, threw me off my ? a little bit but i think i still did good.

But yeah interviews can be a ? .

I had an interview that threw me off like that but luckily my guy who was trying to hook me up already let me know how its gonna go
    He said the dude that would interview me purposely acts like hes not paying attention to try n throw u off then ask random ass questions when u think he forgot about u.
    So we start and a minute in while im talking he grabs his bag from his desk pulls out his ipad, turning it on, moving it around, typing ? , etc no eye contact with me stopped holding my resume n i didnt wanna run outta ? to say n didnt wanna ramble on about nothing
    Even with the info my friend gave me about the interview i was convinced this dude wasnt listening for ? til the end when we were wrapping things up n he summarized what he thought about my experience.
    He ended up putting me on to a 2nd interview

When i was really looking hard for a job and i got multiple calls, i still went to the ones that werent priority just to practice for when i got the interview i really wanted. That way u wont be nervous and you'll be way more comfortable and experienced for the interview u really wanted n its all still fresh in your head cuz u been doing it all month

Never turn down an interview n try to learn from all of em

And if its for a big company for an advanced level position research the little facts about the company and throw that in there for why u wanna work for them
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Yea i go ti the interview even if i dont plan on taking the job, you might get a question that will help.you for the next interview
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    And i remember i had that tag team interview happen to me when i was high school for a job at home depot lol , it did throw me off
  • whatevathehell
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Most o my recents job interviews have involved multiple people. Hr, head honcho,s and at least one person who actually knows something about the job you applying for..leadman,supervisor, potential coworker.
  • geechee slim
    geechee slim Members Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Craigslist. Send resumes everywhere to a burner phone. Cuz chances are, a staffing agency is gonna try to take a cut off your checks.
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Craigslist. Send resumes everywhere to a burner phone. Cuz chances are, a staffing agency is gonna try to take a cut off your checks.

Explain.

I had a staffing company offer me a IT job that paid 11 an hour ,lmao I got my ccna and a degree so I was like wtf that ? low as ? and got out of there.
  • willhustle
    Options
    Whenever you get an interview with a big company, make sure no one else is around. I had an interview recently with a huge company, it was a hangouts interview with 3 top dogs. My sister decided to bring her kids for lunch while I was doing it and her son kept coming into the video and I didn't get it. They basically told me, due to background noise and kids running around, you will not be offered the position.

Why would you bring kids to a job interview?
  • PSN-Canibuss
    PSN-Canibuss Members Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whenever you get an interview with a big company, make sure no one else is around. I had an interview recently with a huge company, it was a hangouts interview with 3 top dogs. My sister decided to bring her kids for lunch while I was doing it and her son kept coming into the video and I didn't get it. They basically told me, due to background noise and kids running around, you will not be offered the position.

Because my sister who insisted to come over even after she was told, I have an interview with Google. Decided to sit here, listen and her son kept coming into the video. Then basically said, you didn't get it because it wasn't meant for you.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? you should hve handled that accordingly from the jump..

giphy.gif

i hate interviews i suck at them. Dont know how i got this gig lol

• willhustle
    Options

Because my sister who insisted to come over even after she was told, I have an interview with Google. Decided to sit here, listen and her son kept coming into the video. Then basically said, you didn't get it because it wasn't meant for you.

And I would have told her she needed to stay her ass at home with her bad ass kids. Then to say, "It wasn't meant for you." I would be having some serious words with her. No ? way do you allow family to cost you a job opportunity.
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    jniam wrote: »
    All I know is this:

Getting a solid job is a full time job on its own. Last semester I applied to 60+ companies and got about 15 interviews which turned in 4 summer internship offers.

Its's a grind that must be done. That said I start my new internship tomorrow. 8 intense weeks pretty much. Essentially this internship is an 8 week long job interview/audition for a full time position.

Im doing like Lebron and straight disconnecting from social media for the next 8 weeks.

Priorities.

I got a 5 week inters hip starting next week
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are internships usually paid? Or are the hours part time so u still have time to make money on your own?
  • Bcotton5
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Go figure wrote: »
    Are internships usually paid? Or are the hours part time so u still have time to make money on your own?

its paid, 15 an hour plus a cash bonus at the end of the 5 weeks

most internships are paid these days