What is the best way to find a new job?

Options

Comments

• Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mastery wrote: »
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    Man I just got a call back from a job I really want. She said I'll be getting interviewed by 3 different people at the same time. I hate those types of interviews. ? stressful bruh

I love panel interviews bruh. I look forward to them ? . To me, I just get to impress more than 1 person at a time. ? 'em all in one fell swoop yo.

Another thing I've done in the past (including the job I have now) is stand up during my panel interviews. Sitting down for a panel interview is way to formal for me, I like to be relaxed. I was told that in the 10+ years this Corporate Employee Program has been running, I'm the only person who has ever stood up. Had them eating out of the palm of my hands bruh.

I'm too scared to try this but I just might do this at my next interview this coming Friday.
    @Lady_Capoeira

You gotta be super confident to pull it off. They can read your body language. Also, make sure you ask if they are ok with you standing right before the interview starts.

It'd be mad weird if you just standing up when they expect you to sit down.

Standing sends a message of self-assuredness—but it also makes you appear taller, which around the world is seen as a sign of smarts, confidence and credibility. You should appear open and approachable, which means your hands should be at your sides (not stiff, but where your arms fall naturally) and ready to gesture naturally.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I got the job shout out @KillaCham
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh lawwwddd.. I done ? up. Just switched jobs cuz of what I thought would a significant pay raise. It was but the hours are less...s o I make the same.......that's not the mistake.

I done ? up and got myself on a modern day plantation. Putting in 10 applications a day. It's 2016...?
  • white sympathizer
    white sympathizer Members Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh lawwwddd.. I done ? up. Just switched jobs cuz of what I thought would a significant pay raise. It was but the hours are less...s o I make the same.......that's not the mistake.

I done ? up and got myself on a modern day plantation. Putting in 10 applications a day. It's 2016...?

Shouldve started your own business, duh

Be your own boss and make your own hours

OR do like little homie from Jacksonville and get a big ass business loan and leave the country
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Per a website:

Your on-the-spot interview won’t necessarily be a time-consuming activity. It might be as simple as one of many possible open-ended questions, like: “What makes you a great candidate?”

This is where crafting a good elevator pitch comes in.

Ask yourself: “If I was stuck in an elevator for 60 seconds with a brilliant figure from my industry, what would I say to make him or her want to work with me?”
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't know if it's been said but for all those who have a bachelor degree and looking to get their foot in the door, look at government jibs. Yes they pay less but you need experience for most jobs. A degree ain't enough in this economy.
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm really thinking about looking into work from home jobs because everything I looking for at the entry-level requires that you have 2-5+ yrs of experience which is ridiculous if you're just trying to get you're foot in the door.
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whats some good online job boards not called:

Indeed
    Dice
    Careerbuiler
    Monster
    Startwire
    Ziprecruiter
    Craigslist

• TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Qiv_Owan wrote: »

Indeed
    Dice
    Careerbuiler
    Monster
    Startwire
    Ziprecruiter
    Craigslist

LinkedIn. One of the best because you can look up people at the company you apply to and even reach out to recruiters directly. You can also set up job alerts and you will get daily e-mails with jobs matching your criteria.
  • Qiv_Owan
    Options
    willhustle wrote: »
    I'm really thinking about looking into work from home jobs because everything I looking for at the entry-level requires that you have 2-5+ yrs of experience which is ridiculous if you're just trying to get you're foot in the door.

U in IT too?
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Indeed
    Dice
    Careerbuiler
    Monster
    Startwire
    Ziprecruiter
    Craigslist

usajobs.gov
  • willhustle
    Options

U in IT too?

No. I'm more so was looking into Administrative Assistant area but after looking for jobs in that area I'm just about ready to say ? it and go back to school for accounting. The other day I went through my transcript and I checked the school's accounting course program. When I looking through the accounting program study I noticed that I already took the majority of the classes in that program. So I might be going back to school in January because I'm only 5 classes short of an accounting degree. 1 college math course and 4 accounting classes.

I already purchased an accounting book to brush up/review my accounting skills. Crazy thing is when I was in school Business Administration was my major but I got so frustrated with the ? because I was near the end and struggling with the accounting & math classes on campus I ended up changing my major (dumb I know). I notice when I did a math class online I did much better.
  • Qiv_Owan
    Options
    Mastery wrote: »

Indeed
    Dice
    Careerbuiler
    Monster
    Startwire
    Ziprecruiter
    Craigslist

usajobs.gov

For my probation i had to attended a worksource class and the first thing they did was make everyone create a profile and uploaf their resume on that site

Havent been back to it since, possibly they dont hire felons tho
  • mrtdb
    mrtdb Members Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

U in IT too?

I found an entry level administrator job that required at least 7-10 years experience. What companies really try to do is put jobs down as "entry level" so they can avoid paying the appropriate amount of money the job involves. Most of the time it doesn't work because people with that level of experience aren't looking to work for 40-50k
  • mrtdb
    Options
    It all depends on the career field/company/supervisor you have...but having a conversation with your supervisor about your career and development can work better for you than you might expect. Respectable companies pride themselves on reducing employee turnover and retaining talent within the company.

I've had conversations with my supervisor before where I told him "hey, I'm really serious about my career...I feel like I've been stagnant for a long time. yada yada...I'm not really in the department I want to be in...yada yada...I just wanted to let you know that I'm very adamant about working on this particular project/in this particular department...yada yada...as a result he started to organize opportunities where I could job shadow with the department I wanted to work at during my work hours as long as my job performance didn't drop. Which gives me an advantage for the next time a job opening in that department is created.

Just some food for thought...sometimes the best way of finding a new job is through your current job.

Like I said all depends on the company...if you know your company isn't ? don't push the envelope or you might get fired
  • willhustle
    Options
    mrtdb wrote: »

U in IT too?

I found an entry level administrator job that required at least 7-10 years experience. What companies really try to do is put jobs down as "entry level" so they can avoid paying the appropriate amount of money the job involves. Most of the time it doesn't work because people with that level of experience aren't looking to work for 40-50k

See that's the problem I ran into when looking for jobs in that field. Some of the companies I was looking into wanted 2-3 yrs of experience in an office environment. I even seen a listing from some company that wanted applicants to have 5+ yrs of experience for a entry-level position. It's just ridiculous when it all boils down to it. That's why I'm considering going back to school for accounting.
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jesus how did I miss this thread?

Alot of dope drops.

I'm currently in Atlanta, and I will post any openings or convenient positions that would be good looks for you guys here. I been applying for positions within the city for the past 6 months. I probably applied at 300 + companies. Applications processes is tiring, but sooo common to me lol

I'm currently working part time at Banana Republic, but my goal is to aquire a entry level data entry/admin support position within the city to rebuild my Savings and move within the city. I'm a senior and have about two years left to graduate, internships is not a possibility due to my transportation situation, but once I secure a stable job and move closer to Atlanta, I will be straight.

If anyone is not aware, the current job state in Atlanta is probably the most competitive it has ever been. I have had dozens of interviews, and nepotism and connections is a strong issue for many here.

• silverfoxx
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If any of y'all can be useful as references or knows really job openings that's MARTA friendly in Atlanta, I ask please DM me or post in here. If I'm blessed with a good opportunity, I promise you guys that I will certainly look out for y'all since I want all of my brothers to win.
  • silverfoxx
    Options

U in IT too?

See that's the problem I ran into when looking for jobs in that field. Some of the companies I was looking into wanted 2-3 yrs of experience in an office environment. I even seen a listing from some company that wanted applicants to have 5+ yrs of experience for a entry-level position. It's just ridiculous when it all boils down to it. That's why I'm considering going back to school for accounting.

I have 6 + years of experience, however I don't have an associate's degree or I'm not close to alot of jobs that ask you to be close the Atlanta area. People don't realize that where im at, ain't ? here. So your forced to get better jobs within the city.
  • mrtdb
    Options
    silverfoxx wrote: »

U in IT too?

I have 6 + years of experience, however I don't have an associate's degree or I'm not close to alot of jobs that ask you to be close the Atlanta area. People don't realize that where im at, ain't ? here. So your forced to get better jobs within the city.

What's your degree field/career in fam? Even though I'm in Texas my University's career website has a lot of Georgia job posts (think they're tryna tell our black ? something) I'll keep a look out.
  • silverfoxx
    Options
    silverfoxx wrote: »

U in IT too?

What's your degree field/career in fam? Even though I'm in Texas my University's career website has a lot of Georgia job posts (think they're tryna tell our black ? something) I'll keep a look out.

Management Information Systems. But my experience is in receptionist, admin support, front desk , data entry, secretary
  • silverfoxx
    Options
    <3 my new job, I'm getting bread and it's a fun ass job. I'm actually learning and doing stuff that I went to school for

I'm really happy for you bro. Your success is inspiring me. I can recall you was telling me the stuff you went to school for, and its good to know you got your dream brother. Congratulations man!
  • SimplyKrys
    SimplyKrys Members Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just wanted to say I have an interview this Wednesday, wish me luck. I have been looking since I graduated in December.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    <3 my new job, I'm getting bread and it's a fun ass job. I'm actually learning and doing stuff that I went to school for

B)