‘Jurassic World 2’ Finds Director In J.A. Bayona

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
j-a-bayona.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1

J.A. Bayona is on board to direct “Jurassic World 2” for Universal Pictures.

Producer Frank Marshall and “Jurassic World” director Colin Trevorrow confirmed the news on Twitter.

Bayona had long been rumored to be the frontrunner for the job after he parted ways with another major sequel, “World War Z 2,” last year. Sources tell Variety that a deal has officially closed.

Exec producers Steven Spielberg and Trevorrow will reunite with stars Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard for the follow-up to one of the biggest blockbusters in the history of cinema. Marshall and Pat Crowley will produce along with Belén Atienza.

Trevorrow and his writing partner Derek Connolly penned the script.

“Jurassic World” blew away box office records, scoring the biggest domestic opening of all time with $205 million. The film went on to make $1.7 billion worldwide — including $652 million in the U.S. — putting it in the top five highest-grossing films rankings domestically and worldwide.

Bayona made a splash with his Oscar-nominated 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami pic “The Impossible” and soon became one of the most sought-after helmers in town. The director ended up choosing Focus’ “When a Monster Calls” as his follow-up, which stars Liam Neeson and Felicity Jones, and opens later this fall.

He is repped by CAA and attorney Warren Dern of Sloane, Offer Weber and Dern.

Comments

• CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    damn i wish i was in the movie biz
    the ? is like gamblin
    this movie cost around 300m and they made 1.7b
    awesome investment
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why the hell did Jurrasic World make so much money? Is it a Nostalgic thing for people at this point?

The new era of movies should not be a big deal about Dinosaurs. In the early 90s? Of course, it was something new and refreshing

But now? I don't see why it was so big. The movie was aite
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    silverfoxx wrote: »
    Why the hell did Jurrasic World make so much money? Is it a Nostalgic thing for people at this point?

The new era of movies should not be a big deal about Dinosaurs. In the early 90s? Of course, it was something new and refreshing

Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

I never saw it but many people in my age group who watched the original and it's sequels at the cinema now have kids of their own who they wanted to share that kind of experience with.
  • bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

man i reckon everyone who saw the original jurassic park loved it, and didnt have a bad word to say about it so probably 75% of those people would have gone to see jurassic world, add that to the new generation of movie goers and they good. Obviously im just hypothesising here
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

nostalgia, first one was a classic and ppl love dinosaurs
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2? This the 5th movie
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jurassic world was garbage
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I didn't like jurassic world but it was better than the other sequels... I'm a fan of this director though... dude made The Orphanage... I need to check out that The Impossible...
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    jurassic world was garbage

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I skipped 4 cause it didn't star Alan Grant or Ian Malcolm but now that Jeff Goldblum has been announced for this one as a returning Dr. Malcolm I will have to see this one. Hope they call it The Lost Park: Jurassic World.
  • Kairo
    Kairo Members Posts: 942 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought for sure they were bringing back Trevorrow and was going to have to hard pass after the first. These ? have me wanting to give it a chance. Still ? Trevorrow is directing Ep. 9.
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh sh-t! Guess who's back!!!!

Goldbar.jpg

Ian Malcolm returns as Jeff Goldblum joins the cast of Jurassic World 2

There’s some exciting Jurassic Park franchise news breaking today as The Hollywood Reporter brings word that Jeff Goldblum is set to return for next summer’s still untitled Jurassic World sequel! He joins a cast that currently includes returning stars Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard alongside Toby Jones, Daniella Pineda, Justice Smith and Rafe Spall. Frank Marshall and Steven Spielberg are returning to produce the film, which has JA Bayona (When a Monster Calls, The Impossible) in the director’s chair.

Bayona (The Impossible, A Monster Calls) will direct the Jurassic World sequel from a script by Colin Trevorrow and Derek Connolly.

Trevorrow previously revealed the quote from the original Jurassic Park that inspired their idea for the sequel, which comes from Sam Neil’s Alan Grant: “Dinosaurs and man, two species separated by 65 million years of evolution have just been suddenly thrown back into the mix together. How can we possibly have the slightest idea what to expect?”

“Every story is different and you need to find the depth of every story and try to express it on the screen,” Bayona recently told CS. “The ‘Jurassic World’ sequel is a more collaborative filmmaker experience, not only with Colin Trevorrow, but also with Steven [Spielberg] and with Frank Marshall. It’s their baby as much as it is mine. It’s about sharing views and working together to bring the story to life. But, at the same time, the way I face telling a story is to find something very personal. I think there will be plenty of myself also in the film.”

Jeff Goldblum previously reprised the Ian Malcolm role for 1997’s The Lost World: Jurassic Park. Although eagle eyed viewers can glimpse his photo in Jurassic World, the new film will mark the first full appearance of the character in more than two decades.

The Jurassic World sequel is set for release on June 22, 2018.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Cool
    Both goldblum and Pratt are in two franchises together
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    BenjaminE wrote: »
    I didn't like jurassic world but it was better than the other sequels... I'm a fan of this director though... dude made The Orphanage... I need to check out that The Impossible...

Really harrowing film (regardless of the whitewashing) with a great central performance by current spidey Tom Holland.

The scene where the tsunami hits is worth it alone.