Is Nintendo In Trouble

Options

Comments

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Aint even heard of this NX yall speak of. Gonna look it up. Always wanted a Zelda game with modern day graphics (PS4/Xbox1 modern)
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Actually this has to be more powerful than the PS4. There's no real excuse for it not be. In comparison to current tech the PS4 really isn't that powerful.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Software sales have been great for Wii U in the sense that the attach rate for a lot of the best selling software to the hardware's adopters is pretty nuts.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/27/11516836/nintendo-sales-figures-2016-fiscal-year

3DS is a monster software sales wise.

Nintendo's problem is not games it's corporate infrastructure and outdated corporate policies. Those old Japanese habits don't fly like that in the west no more and Nintendo is an extremely Eastern company. They need more global expansion and involvement with reliable and dependable network infrastructures. User friendly interfaces, clearer account systems etc.

Which to their credit is something they've been working on for the last 2 years. Their digital software sales for example keep growing and growing it's becoming one of their most consistently profitable revenue streams and Miiverse has been a success for them on that front.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It would be nice if they made a system a grown man could buy I really don't want to by the wii u just for Mario kart and dl smash bro I don't have the expendable gwuap like that
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Karl. wrote: »
    Actually this has to be more powerful than the PS4. There's no real excuse for it not be. In comparison to current tech the PS4 really isn't that powerful.

Why tho ? The Wii U hardware was on par with it and if memory serves it might have been more powerful. The thing is the games Nintendo makes don't emphasise crazy crisp-real graphics. How "real" do you want Mario, Pokémon, Donkey Kong or Zelda to look ? Even if you throw in third party games most people would rather play them on PS4 or XB1 despite the three being relatively the same. It's how people perceive them that makes them choose.

It's not the hardware they need sold it's the games. Hardware sales usually slow down by the following year and stagnate shortly after which is why you see prices or smaller variations of say... PlayStation selling for less or bundles going for what the price of a newly released console was going for.

Nah bro the Wii U is equivalent to a metaphorical PS3.5.

And Sony didn't lower the price because of slow sales. Sony is selling them at lower price because 1) they are actually making a profit off of the PS4 consoles instead of selling the consoles at a loss, and 2) they are coming out with a PS4.5 in October and it's going to be higher priced so they are lowering the price of the old ones now so they can sell the new ones at a higher price. It's hilarious how last year they said they would never do this and now they are.

I honestly think that is going to compete with the NX and steal the market
  • Karl.
    Options
    Sion wrote: »

Why tho ? The Wii U hardware was on par with it and if memory serves it might have been more powerful. The thing is the games Nintendo makes don't emphasise crazy crisp-real graphics. How "real" do you want Mario, Pokémon, Donkey Kong or Zelda to look ? Even if you throw in third party games most people would rather play them on PS4 or XB1 despite the three being relatively the same. It's how people perceive them that makes them choose.

It's not the hardware they need sold it's the games. Hardware sales usually slow down by the following year and stagnate shortly after which is why you see prices or smaller variations of say... PlayStation selling for less or bundles going for what the price of a newly released console was going for.

Wii U on par with PS4? You're if crazy or you misread my post.

How can you say they don't need to sell hardware when the Wii U has barely sold more than the Vita? If they don't sell hardware they won't have anyone to sell the games to.

A powerful console is what attracts all these fanboys. High definition and frame-rate. They do need a solid online infrastructure with voice-chat too.

This should bring back more third parties.

Not many people out there like me who will actually buy it just to play Mario, Zelda etc.
  • Phantom Pain
    Phantom Pain Members Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They need to just license their games n characters... Imagine Metroid running on PS4
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They need to just license their games n characters... Imagine Metroid running on PS4

I just wanted Pokemon on a big screen. Pokemon hasn't had a game on the big screen since Stadium. I download emulators and ? for the handhelds, but I'd love to really experience the pokemon world from the ground up.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh. Nintendo is inbetween consoles. They must be "doomed" again.

#yalldothiseverytime
  • CashmoneyDux
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »

I just wanted Pokemon on a big screen. Pokemon hasn't had a game on the big screen since Stadium. I download emulators and ? for the handhelds, but I'd love to really experience the pokemon world from the ground up.

Nah they had Revolution for the Wii but that ? was super butt cheeks
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Never heard of it......

I'm finna be 30. Haven't been hyped for a Nintendo product since the Wii came out. And it was mainly for the body sensor. That was the last innovative product they put out. Then Xbox and PlayStation came out with better body sensor products. Wii fit was innovative, for like a week. Nintendo burnt out.
  • CashmoneyDux
    Options

Never heard of it......

I'm finna be 30. Haven't been hyped for a Nintendo product since the Wii came out. And it was mainly for the body sensor. That was the last innovative product they put out. Then Xbox and PlayStation came out with better body sensor products. Wii fit was innovative, for like a week. Nintendo burnt out.

Home console wise, yeah, but they are no where near finished.
  • Karl.
    Options
    I remember firing up the first Wii and thinking it was broke because all the visuals were ? up.

Turns out it's just the standard definition.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Never heard of it......

? that was the console before the current one, you're goin' on like the Wii was 4/5 generations ago.

We all agree that the Wii was a success and the Wii U a flop. Next console is as important from a relevance POV as it is financial, especially since they won't be sellin' at a loss.

This 'Nintendo is for kids' stuff wasn't around durin' the Gamecube days and they need to realise that the Internet and child-friendly don't/can't mix well.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Article fails to mention it's not just the lack of catching up to graphics and processing power of XBOX and Playstation but also the simplification of mobile games on smartphones. Instead of investing in 30 or 40 dollar games kids started playing free games on their parents cell phones. That ? up both console sales for all major consoles and their handheld sales of 3DS or whatever new ? they got out.

Also it is too little too late for Nintendo to try to go head to head with Playstation or XBOX when it comes to processing power. Those gamers who want better graphics already owned a pc or they are sticking with the PS4. They really aren't checking for Nintendo products. Think about this the gamecube had not only ahead of it's time first party wireless controllers but it also had graphics that in my opinion were slightly better than ps2. But the cube never caught on highly to convert many ps2 users who were brand loyal.
  • Lurkristocrat
    Lurkristocrat Members Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kudos on Nintendo being stubborn. Ppl been saying for years how Nintendo would've been a force in the mobile space if they had release games there.

I don't play too much mobile games but if u tell me I can d/l Mario world, donkey kong country, fzero, Mario party etc on my mobile I'm in there. That right there is like a million downloads day 1 but nooo Nintendo go ahead and release miitomo

you can...
  • Karl.
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    Article fails to mention it's not just the lack of catching up to graphics and processing power of XBOX and Playstation but also the simplification of mobile games on smartphones. Instead of investing in 30 or 40 dollar games kids started playing free games on their parents cell phones. That ? up both console sales for all major consoles and their handheld sales of 3DS or whatever new ? they got out.

Also it is too little too late for Nintendo to try to go head to head with Playstation or XBOX when it comes to processing power. Those gamers who want better graphics already owned a pc or they are sticking with the PS4. They really aren't checking for Nintendo products. Think about this the gamecube had not only ahead of it's time first party wireless controllers but it also had graphics that in my opinion were slightly better than ps2. But the cube never caught on highly to convert many ps2 users who were brand loyal.

Since when have console sales been ? up? Sony have sold like 40 million consoles. The success of the PS4 and Xbox one has proven that theory wrong.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »

Since when have console sales been ? up? Sony have sold like 40 million consoles. The success of the PS4 and Xbox one has proven that theory wrong.

Consoles had to drop prices sharply from the drop and include top tier video games from year 2 just to get to 40 mill and 20 mill for sony and microsoft. Back in the day they would maybe throw in a demo or an average game.

Likewise as far as cleaning out stores consoles even in launch year were easy to find at stores. That wasn't the case in the last few generations. Even past generation the average amount of games per console and overall game sales are down. Much of this has to do with every kid being hooked to a tablet or smart phone. Doesn't mean they don't play consoles; they are playing less however.
  • HundredEyes
    HundredEyes Members Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kids aint the primary market anymore for consoles and the ps4 has been breaking records left and right.

pc gaming has returned with a vengeance the last few years, we have two consoles and one more coming up, theyre even introducing VR to the market.

the console market has never really been this prosperous, the fact that Nintendo is introducing another console basically mid console season n Sony introducing an enhanced version of the ps4 should say enough about the market size.
  • Broddie
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Well Nintendo hardware still moves units in their homeland (look at the monstrous 3DS success out there also more ? homes with Wii U than PS4 right now). But he's kinda right when you look at the west.

Consoles in general have slowed down both in Japan and the US. Hell most gamers would classify me as ? since I grew up on Atari consoles, NES and commodore 64 games but I'm pretty lapsed now a days. The last generation of home consoles competeley flew by me.

I still had and interest in video games but a lot of my other hobbies (graphic designing, photography, music creation, coding etc) became even more practical to execute with new tech. More portable too.

It became a question of "why waste my time playing this game when I could do something as fun and much more productive instead?" for a lot of people who grew up as gamers. So the idea of copping a new console didn't quite register.

I played games on PC or portable consoles though. I owned 2 3DS' in the last 5 years but never bought a PS3 or even a Wii. I still gamed; just not with the same passion I used to approach SNES or Playstation 2 titles with. That's just me as somebody who isn't by definition that casual a gamer. Imagine those that are.

Those are the people who have made COD the killer franchise or made mobile gaming a billion dollar marketplace. The problem is these people view gaming as a quick past time and not a hobby. The older part of this demo used to spend a quarter at the arcade back in the day for every 5 dollars you spent at the same arcade.

So ok they will buy the console. However they won't invest in PSN or buy much software like that and that's where these companies really make the bottom line profits in the end.

So with that in mind the "bigger and badder" approach has kinda become obsolete. Cause the part of the audience that cares about that is very minuscule now. When they were once the dominant group of consumers in that biz.

These are people you find also everywhere on the net. The type who pick sides in some fictional "console war" even it they do it subconsciously. They're not a real factor anymore. The majority of the demo is.

The majority don't care about specs or iconic franchises of gaming's past. They want a good bargain for the quick fix. Right now there are better bargains and quick fixes out there than home consoles especially in the West.

Does this mean the console market is brickin? No; but it's also certainly not growing on the level that was once anticipated as recently as a decade ago either. Simply because a lot of that audience has indefinitely checked out and found enjoyment elsewhere. Try all you want that definitely can't be ignored.

• Karl.
    Options
    I get some of your points.

I don't understand how you can say console sales have slowed down when the X1 and PS4 are both outpacing 360 and PS3 sales when you compare them both at this period in their life cycle.

Before they dropped folks were saying consoles were dead because mobile was taking over. Turned out to be nonsense.
  • Broddie
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It's not nonsense when you understand the context they were coming from. Compared to where analysts and industry big heads expected the business to be at this point in time the console business is still quite far behind.

Console business been peaked so naturally it will have nowhere to continue going but down. What Xbox One and PS4 combined have sold worldwide in the last 3 years (60 million) the PS2 sold alone in it's 3rd year.
  • HundredEyes
    HundredEyes Members Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Experts said dead pc gaming would be dead by now 10 years ago and months before the current gen dropped claimed console sales would be worse than the ps3/360....experts also claimed tablet/mobile gaming would destroy the handheld market back when the 3DS wasnt released yet...how many analysts saw a minecraft coming?

business analysts are wrong all time, its not 2006 anymore fam, hell this thread was made possible by Nintendo's ? business analysts n marketing department with the dissapointed that was the wii u... Europe is basically the biggest market now while Japan has become the least important one outta the big 3 (US/EU/? )....and who knows, if China lifts the restrictions, what the biggest market is gonna be in 2026.

there is more work/employment and money in the console game industry as ever..
  • Broddie
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Europe became the biggest market with a 3rd of the peak US or Japan console market to it's claim. Not exactly the greatest bragging rights.

If there are so many jobs available working in the console business today then why are so many publishers and developers going out of business which by proxy means major job losses in that industry?

Like I said before the dedicated console industry already peaked. Like a decade ago. The last gen being outpaced by this one is no big ? because sales and profit wise last gen was a bust compared to the gen before it (where consoles peaked). The biggest seller last home console gen was the one that catered to casuals above everyone else which proves my point.

People fall for the smoke and mirrors. Yes console gaming isn't bleeding out at an accelerated rate but it's definitely declining. Naturally it should since again it's already peaked and what goes up must come down.

Just 3 years ago you had consoles taking up 36% of the gaming market by the end of this year it is estimated to be taking up only 32%.