Daniel Craig Turns Down $68 million For James Bond, Tom Hiddleton Likely Replacement

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
Daniel Craig has told studio bosses he is ‘done’ playing 007, sources claim.

The news comes just days after bookmakers called off bets on Cambridge-educated Tom Hiddleston becoming the next James Bond.

Craig is the highest-paid actor to play the role, netting a reported total of £38million for the four films he has appeared in.

He has played Bond since 2005 and helped bank well over £2billion in box office revenue, helping ease MGM’s bankruptcy issues.

Insiders said Craig turned down a £68million offer from MGM studio to return as Bond for two more films following last year’? Spectre.

The sum included endorsements, profit shares, and a role for him working as a co-producer.

One LA film source said: ‘Daniel is done – pure and simple – he told top brass at MGM after Spectre. They threw huge amounts of money at him, but it just wasn’t what he wanted.’

He added: ‘He had told people after shooting that this would be his final outing, but the film company still felt he could come around after Spectre if he was offered a money deal.’

One source said that executives had finally agreed to let the actor go after growing tired of his criticism of the franchise.

Craig, 48, told interviewers last year that he would rather ‘slash my wrists’ than agree to another Bond film.

But he later said he was contracted for a fifth film and would agree to it ‘for the money’.

Before Bond, the actor, married to actress Rachel Weisz, was best known for thriller Layer Cake, being Angelina Jolie’s love interest in Lara Croft: Tomb Raider and various TV roles. Craig has been plagued with a knee injury sustained filming a Spectre fight scene.

The source said: ‘With knee problems and general exhaustion, he felt it was a journey with an ending.’ The studio delayed the next Bond film after Craig committed to a 20-episode US TV adaptation of Jonathan Franzen’s novel Purity.

Comments

• DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Craig should cash out with the final movie...
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    marc123 wrote: »
    "Turned down $68M"

I refuse to believe that...

why?
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Loki as Bond? Fascinating. They should holla at.

1442520552323.cached.jpg
    "Turned down $68M"

Why not, Dave Chappelle left $50 mil on the table. You have to remember that actors are really into the art of acting, (which is my a lot of them ? with indie low budget ? .) Craig probably feels that has enough cash, he doesn't want to get type cast, and he wants to venture out and do other ? .

• L3NU
    L3NU Members Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I liked his version of bond, but if he doesn't wanna do it anymore then good for him

I'd rather have someone who wants the role play the character instead of someone who's showing up just to get a paycheck
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I tried watching spectre 3 times and kept falling asleep. Tom Hiddleston tho... Pierce Brosnan, Roger Moore and Sean Connery did not die for this.
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tom Hardy or an English black actor are the only good choices.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never seen any of the Daniel craig bond movies
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He been said the ? was oD hard on his body
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    He was a much rougher Bond, and I enjoyed that about his rendition of the character.

too bad Spectre and Quantum of Solace weren't great
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Idris Elba would be dope as bond
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Idris Elba would be dope as bond

Nah... Cause he'd be crying over a white ? ... Got plenty denzel movies to fill that quota to last a life time.

Gotta have a black bond girl. Lupita or rosario
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    He was a much rougher Bond, and I enjoyed that about his rendition of the character.

But he always got his ass kicked
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Turned down $68M"

Its £68million, that works out to about $100million.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Turned down $68M"

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit... How the ? ? I'd have them write the ? where I didn't do stunts and take the check. This ? is Toby McGuire stupid: "I don't want to be typecast!" Who the ? can name a Daniel Craig appearance besides side piece in Tomb Raider? I forgot that until the OP. Typecast as a dude who can ? your ? after murdering you, shoot down helicopters at night with a PP9, and drive the dopest cars while having an apartment that looks like a freshman's dorm room--the nerve!

? outta here.

I'm not saying it's as stupid as Dave Chappelle's "They didn't give me any help on how to run things, and this lighting guy laughed at me during the skit--and I felt like I was a joke, so I left because a black man can't be funny without wearing a dress" excuse to be responsibility free... but it's "hard on my body" is that stupid when the company is giving you all kinds of control.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KNiGHTS wrote: »
    "Turned down $68M"

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit... How the ? ? I'd have them write the ? where I didn't do stunts and take the check. This ? is Toby McGuire stupid: "I don't want to be typecast!" Who the ? can name a Daniel Craig appearance besides side piece in Tomb Raider? I forgot that until the OP. Typecast as a dude who can ? your ? after murdering you, shoot down helicopters at night with a PP9, and drive the dopest cars while having an apartment that looks like a freshman's dorm room--the nerve!

? outta here.

I'm not saying it's as stupid as Dave Chappelle's "They didn't give me any help on how to run things, and this lighting guy laughed at me during the skit--and I felt like I was a joke, so I left because a black man can't be funny without wearing a dress" excuse to be responsibility free... but it's "hard on my body" is that stupid when the company is giving you all kinds of control.

it's hard on his body like a running back at the end of his career it's not like he can't make that money up doing other movies he got knee problems etc what the sense of having all that money and u can't walk
  • suzyscrew
    suzyscrew Members Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Loki might make a good bond but he's too boring a choice to get me in the theater
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Getting too old to be doing them stunts.

And he does alot of them.

Yea he's 48 I believe all that running and training to keep in shape takes a toll on you.
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    Mothefuck Daniel Craig saying it's too hard on it his body for that much money. You know what else is hard on your body?, picking ? rocks all day, and they don't get paid no $100 mil for that.

live with that kind of logic, and you shall never be content my friend.These guys live in a different stratosphere to anything we can ever imagine, at this point he's turning down the money because he genuinely doesn't need it.

His missus is caked up as well.

He's just done with it, it was obvious during the promotion of the last one where he looked barely enthusiastic for any of it, these movies are monsters now.

I hope he comes back for one more so they can at least conclude the story that they've started, Spectre wasn't very good, but the setup was.

Tom Hiddleston looks like too much of a pussyhole to be playing Bond.