Chicago Police union head hog blasts 'disrespect' for cops, 'anti-police correctness'...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-chicago-police-union-fop-president-met-20160628-story.html
Police union chief blasts 'disrespect' for cops, 'anti-police correctness'

The Chicago police union president decried an unprecedented "level of disrespect" faced by officers on the street and called for more vocal public support of police, saying, "There's a deafening silence out there right now."

In a speech Tuesday to the City Club of Chicago, Dean Angelo Sr. complained that officers' hands are being tied by "anti-police correctness" and warned that as a byproduct Chicago is headed back to the days of 900 homicides a year.

Citing a national report, the Fraternal Order of Police president said attacks on police are on the rise, but he complained that the news media play videos of incidents involving officers "as if it's a Super Bowl-winning touchdown."

"It's played over and over and over again until it's embedded in the audience's mind," Angelo, whose union represents the department's 12,000 rank-and-file officers, told several hundred civil leaders at the luncheon gathering.

Angelo appeared to walk a fine line, saying that police continue to do their jobs effectively, taking guns off the street and making thousands of narcotics arrests, but at the same time he spoke of street stops plummeting by more than 150,000 so far this year. He blamed that slowdown largely on more extensive paperwork that officers must fill out for every stop, but he also acknowledged that many officers feel "no one has their back."

"We have an Orlando every month in Chicago, but catch a policeman hitting someone on video — oh, my ? !" he

giphy.gif

Comments

700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    100 racks busting out the rapper
  • stringer bell
    Options
    https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20160628/river-north/police-union-head-dean-angelo-addresses-city-club
    Chicago Police Face 'Level Of Disrespect' Never Before Seen: Union Boss

RIVER NORTH — Saying the world is "upside down" in the face of "the anti-police movement that's taken hold," the head of Chicago's police union Tuesday called for the "silent majority" to be more vocal in support of cops.

"The perception of a lot of police officers in the City of Chicago is that nobody has their backs," Dean Angelo Sr., president of the local Fraternal Order of Police, said in a luncheon address to the City Club on Tuesday. He spoke of a "deafening silence" in support of police as they deal with an "enormous level of confrontation, a level of disrespect we have not seen."

Angelo blamed the "Ferguson effect," referring to last year's police protests over the shooting death of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo., and said people who record officers with their phones are "hoping for a payday." He also said new demands for increased paperwork contributed to why Chicago Police "are down over 150,000 street stops" this year.

That, he said, prompted the rise in murders to 328 already this year. "We have an Orlando every month in Chicago, and no one seems to raise an eyebrow," Angelo added. He predicted the city could hit 700 murders for 2016, adding, "I don't know what the Fourth of July weekend's gonna bring."

Angelo said he "can't wait" for Chicago Police to release raw video of police wearing bodycams, to show what officers face, routinely being called "every name in the book" in an attempt at provocation. "The level of boldness has increased in some of the higher-crime areas," he added.

"There is an element out there right now that constantly wants to stir the ? ," Angelo said. "We are at a very difficult and a very sensitive time."

Angelo insisted there were "only" 404 police shootings over an eight-year period ending last year, while there were 13,000 cases of assault on officers over that same time frame.

A week after leading figures, including the Chicago Police chief, addressed the city's problem with gun violence, the Department's local union leader gave his side of the story Tuesday in a speech at the City Club.

Angelo, an outspoken defender of Chicago cops, was as unapologetic as ever in drawing correlations between areas of crime and unemployment. He cited how the vast majority of narcotics arrests, gun arrests and murders take place in 20 wards where unemployment runs highest in the city.

"People need to work," Angelo said. "You can't police your way out of it, but you look to the police to handle it."

According to Angelo, the "humanization of policing" is the untold story in the media. "We're human," he said. "We're just like everybody else."

Angelo welcomed a change in Chicago Police overtime policy announced Tuesday allowing officers to work extra hours in their own districts for those including what he said were 25 identified "hot spots" for high levels of crime. Yet he called for it to be expanded.

"Officers will take advantage of this," Angelo said. "It'd be nice if it was citywide and that every district had the opportunity to participate in working their days off." According to Angelo, there's not an area in the city where residents don't feel they could use more cops on the street.

Angelo said he had a meeting scheduled soon with new Police Supt. Eddie Johnson, "and that's probably one of the things I'll bring up." He also expected it to have a part in negotiating the next police contract, but "the contract's a long way away."

Angelo said he expected talks to heat up next year. "We're the last on the list," he said, after the city reaches new deals with sergeants and lieutenants and then firefighters. "So they'll paint us into a corner again," he predicted, with claims of a money shortage.

"This is gonna be quite a difficult negotiation for us," Angelo said, while adding that he would not be negotiating in the media.

Angelo has been under fire, most recently for hiring Jason Van ? as his murder case in the shooting death of Laquan McDonald plays out in the court.

Angelo also took issue with the release of Shaquille O'Neal, who was freed after a video emerged showing a police officer kicking him in the head in an arrest.

"We are more than tired of being considered by some to be second-class citizens and not worthy of the same protections under the law guaranteed to any other citizen," Angelo wrote in a letter posted on the union's Facebook page in which he signed off: "Be safe and ? bless the Police."

O'Neal was subsequently arrested again and charged with aggravated battery.

Angelo made little reference to police misconduct Tuesday.
    Although he did allow there were officers he wouldn't want his son, also a police officer, to ride with, he said priests are more likely to abuse people than cops are.

Supt. Johnson said last week at the City Club that he saw "progress" in trying to rebuild trust between officers and residents. In an earlier City Club appearance, he also said he had worn a bodycam and seen that it had an effect changing not only police behavior, but that of those officers confront on the street.

Angelo, a proud member of a family with four generations of Chicago cops, is nonetheless of short stature, and he broke the ice in his City Club speech by saying, "I'm glad to see you saved the mayor's podium for me. This one fits."

h5bixpqcyzldccfmrn36.gif
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pigs are referred to as such. It is a sight to see when I disrespect pigs. ? daVinci with this ? .
  • the dukester
    the dukester Members Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cellphone cameras have changed the game.

They're upset because they can no longer control/manipulate the media narrative when a cop unjustly pops somebody.

The union pig wants you to believe their "spin" and not your lying eyes.

Foh.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol police leavin' coz of more paperwork
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol nobody cares or believes him.

• Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

They're upset because they can no longer control/manipulate the media narrative when a cop unjustly pops somebody.

Foh.

Because their spin speaks to pro-cop and anti-black ppl to galvanize them
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Foh.

Pretty much. Now you see the video and police wanna be say bs like "but you have to understand the context"...

? never works when they have video of suspects tho.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i always chuckle when these fat crackers pretend to care about impoverished black teenagers dying tho.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc_AsiZB1H4
    Chicago is seeing a spike in crime, particularly gun violence, that has alarmed the entire city. Currently pushing over 1,500 shootings to date this year, the month of June has shown no signs of slowing down. The surge in violence could not have come at a more complicated time for the city, with a police department in turmoil — following the release of the Laquan McDonald video — and a subsequent task force report which accused the department of an entrenched culture of racism and abuse.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ironically Chicago has the reputation of being the most corrupt department in the nation... Dating back to the 1800s
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    Ironically Chicago has the reputation of being the most corrupt department in the nation... Dating back to the 1800s

I think NYPD got them beat
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You know what you signed up for, stop whining
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Nah I don't think so, but its close. We had a damn black site for prisoners
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »

Nah I don't think so, but its close. We had a damn black site for prisoners

Yeah and NYPD has had numerous units dedicated to selling drugs and robbing the community.
    But I agree that it is a toss up
  • big_chris67
    big_chris67 Members Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Well if the police stopped killing black people and the courts letting them get away with it then the public MIGHT have their backs!
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    White People ? more police officers than anyone, but its black people's fault somehow.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Department of Justice should launch a criminal investigation of various police unions for promoting, facilitating, and engaging in ongoing criminal activities, that include, (but are not limited to,) bribery, corruption, perjury, intimidation, embezzlement, money laundering, fraud, extortion, and obstruction of justice.

Police unions are nothing more than a criminal enterprises and should treated as such. When the Mafia engages in the same activities that polices unions do, members of La Costra Nostra are routinely indicted under the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act, tried, convicted, and sent to a federal penitentiary for a long period of time.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Copper wrote: »

.........nah.

I mean, they killed Fred Hampton on some real spec ops death squad ? . I can't think of anything comparable to that in NYPD corruption history. They have 1/3rd the number of officers NY does but pay more in police brutality court settlements........think about that.