Don Lemoán Confronts Black Lives Matter Leader: Why Not Change Police Depts From Within...

Options

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    How about not hiring racists?

It would be impossible to know but they can only hire the people who apply. Its that simple
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    jono wrote: »

It would be impossible to know but they can only hire the people who apply. Its that simple

Lol they do thorough background checks on people that enter the military you're telling me they won't find anything on someone? They know these people are racists but they ALLOW them in the force regardless.
  • jono
    Options

Lol they do thorough background checks on people that enter the military you're telling me they won't find anything on someone? They know these people are racists but they ALLOW them in the force regardless.

So you're jumping off the deep end. That's why I don't engage.

1. They do background checks on police forces. Psych checks too. A dude passes it why shouldn't he get the job? You really think they will be able to tell a dude is racist from a gotdamn written test?

Question 15. Are you racist? Y/N

Dude says no. How do you know he lying?

Smh you can't be this dense.

They "allow" it is conspiracy ? but honestly it makes my point. Apply for the job. Every job held by somebody doing the right thing prevents somebody who would do the wrong thing from having it.
  • 5th Letter
    Options

1. They do background checks on police forces. Psych checks too. A dude passes it why shouldn't he get the job? You really think they will be able to tell a dude is racist from a gotdamn written test?

They "allow" it is conspiracy ? but honestly it makes my point. Apply for the job. Every job held by somebody doing the right thing prevents somebody who would do the wrong thing from having it.

If they do background checks then explain how countless white supremacists are on police forces all across the country? People who are KKK etc? Keep in mind back in 2006 the FBI put out a report saying that the KKK and other white extremists are infiltrating police departments? Go.
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How about just policing officers like regular people when they ? others? ? isn't as difficult or complex as yall want to make it, and it doesn't involve having to be a cop. U want to show how good cops are in abundance?? Hold bad cops accountable and charge them with first degree murder, with a minimum of 20 years to life, since cops are supposed to be held to a higher standard.
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    How about just policing officers like regular people when they ? others? ? isn't as difficult or complex as yall want to make it, and it doesn't involve having to be a cop. U want to show how good cops are in abundance?? Hold bad cops accountable and charge them with first degree murder, with a minimum of 20 years to life, since cops are supposed to be held to a higher standard.

This along with stop hiring racists are the solutions.
  • jono
    Options

If they do background checks then explain how countless white supremacists are on police forces all across the country? People who are KKK etc? Keep in mind back in 2006 the FBI put out a report saying that the KKK and other white extremists are infiltrating police departments? Go.

Because muhfuckas lie and being a racst isn't written on their gotdamn foreheads.
  • 5th Letter
    Options

Because muhfuckas lie and being a racst isn't written on their gotdamn foreheads.

You're not going to catch Em all like Pokemon. But the infiltration of white extremists is significant enough to the point where the FBI put out a report on the ? . That says something.
  • jono
    Options

You're not going to catch Em all like Pokemon. But the infiltration of white extremists is significant enough to the point where the FBI put out a report on the ? . That says something.

But its irrelevant to the subject. Not enough blacks in the police force period.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    Don't want to help police
    Don't want to be police
    Don't want to police communities for free
    But want to complain when police doesn't do anything or is ineffective.

Where's the win? ? just want to complain.

Nobody watches cops all day, they literally have no supervisor. Join the force and let folks do whatever they want to like you think should happen.

See why you ain't get that text ?

She clearly explained why - and there have been points already made in this thread why not and all you come to is "? just want to complain" ?

SMMFH

Cuz all ? want to do is complain.

Are ? trying to help police catch real criminals or nah? The answer is no. "That ain't my business/no snitching"

Are ? trying to join the force? No. "See see see the whole system corrupt mayne!" You gonna try or no? Of course not. Its easier to criticize.

The problem with cops is there isn't any oversight. Literally no one will bother you if you let a ? speed, let em jaywalk, smoke weed etc nobody cares! Its one of the easiest jobs in the world. Most cops do NOTHING all day.

And being a cop doesn't require anything special either. Literally a gang of well educated, liberal black men can join the force en masse (they always hiring especially in the inner city.)

The same can be said for POs, COs and alot of other criminal justice jobs.

To respond. (I don't use the word "? " to refer to Black people)

You know how many Black snitches / informants there are ? A lot I'm sure.

You know how many Black cops there are ? A lot. Is it changing anything ?

The reason there is no oversight of cops isn't because of individual cops, it's systematic. Police unions, prosecutors, chiefs, mayors, judges, laws, etc....

There isnt enough.

Whenever Theres a significant amount of "snitches" you see the results. Compare the mob of today to the mob of 50 years ago.

Police depts the country over are still primarily white even in black cities.

Oversight of individual officers is virtually non existent. Those police reports are basically on the honor code. Whoever is over your dept wasn't there so they know nothing about whatever happened.

Cops literally drive past and ignore ? all day so they won't have to deal with people.

Want to know why theres a quota system on tickets? Because people complained that cops don't do ? ! (then they changed the rules that some depts are funded by tickets and asset forefeiture, the point is to incentivize police action because otherwise they wouldn't do a damn thing!)

The dude didn't say - 'we need more Black cops on the force so we can make a difference'. He said 'come make a difference, don't be part of the problem' as if somehow one cop is going to make a difference.

Again, like I said - what about Nakia Jones ? Didn't she get suspended as a cop for speaking out against the ? ?

And she's just one - there have been others.

Finally, how you can knock someone wanting to change the system over being a part of it ? Which one would have more a substantial effect - especially when the system hasn't changed for the better in decades ?[font]

Don't start with him

Rather than consider the legitimate reasons as to why more Hispanics and blks arent joining the force, ? is complaining about ? complaining

Not only that, if he truly believes that the problem is merely there being a lack of oversight dude is lost

Word, it's starting to look like some serious denial.
  • 5th Letter
    Options

But its irrelevant to the subject. Not enough blacks in the police force period.

The solution is for cops to be charged/sentenced when they ? us. And/Or stop hiring racists. Those two things will change everything.
  • jono
    Options

The solution is for cops to be charged/sentenced when they ? us. And/Or stop hiring racists. Those two things will change everything.

This is irrelvant to my topic. Im not talking about the solution to police brutality. Im talking about the underrepresentation of blacks in police forces.

• 5th Letter
    Options

This is irrelvant to my topic. Im not talking about the solution to police brutality. Im talking about the underrepresentation of blacks in police forces.

I'm saying that more black people in the force is irrelevant if white/non black cops are going to continue to execute black people and get away with it. Makes sense now?
  • jono
    Options
  • jono
    Options

I'm saying that more black people in the force is irrelevant if white/non black cops are going to continue to execute black people and get away with it. Makes sense now?

We talking about two different things
  • 5th Letter
    Options

With all due respect you're talking ? . The conversation shouldn't be about more black police officers on the force. The conversation should be about punishing racists who pose as cops when they ? us AND not hiring racists. Hiring more black cops won't stop a racist from killing a black person with impunity and then a system that helps them get away with it. Makes sense now?
  • jono
    Options

With all due respect you're talking ? . The conversation shouldn't be about more black police officers on the force. The conversation should be about punishing racists who pose as cops when they ? us AND not hiring racists. Hiring more black cops won't stop a racist from killing a black person with impunity and then a system that helps them get away with it. Makes sense now?

I didn't say it would. What I did say is instead of the constant screaming at the mountain hoping it would move its time to climb the ? or collective push it.

Folks ain't interested in solutions. They interested in ? . ? should be tired of that by now. You ain't part of the solution you part of the problem.

And part of the problem will always be tbe underrepresentation of like minded individuals on the force who CAN HELP.

But lets keep up the racist, pig jive talk that ? been doing since the 1960s with no success. When is the time for action?
  • 5th Letter
    Options

I didn't say it would. What I did say is instead of the constant screaming at the mountain hoping it would move its time to climb the ? or collective push it.

Folks ain't interested in solutions. They interested in ? . ? should be tired of that by now. You ain't part of the solution you part of the problem.

And part of the problem will always be tbe underrepresentation of like minded individuals on the force who CAN HELP.

But lets keep up the racist, pig jive talk that ? been doing since the 1960s with no success. When is the time for action?

How will more black people on the force help?
  • jono
    Options

For starters it prevents racists from getting the job, second more representation could lead to greater understanding from both sides and more malleability within the law enforcement systems. It could also ensure that race is not much of a factor in police behavior. Also you can increase support for the ousting of ? cops.

Making an argument that it will stop bad people from being bad is stupid. You can't stop bad people from being bad.

Making an argument about prosecution of bad people ia stupid because police don't prosecute. That's not their job.

Having a police dept full of Ben Carsons ain't going to help either which is why I said "like minded." But if you think calling people pigs and racists is going to change then continue.

A multifaceted problem requires a multifaceted approach to solutions. Its not going to fit on a bumper sticker or a twitter handle. Its going to take work and time but shouting matches ain't going to get ? done. When people start yelling other people stop listening.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its kind of like Ferguson Missouri residents being 67% black but the police chief is white/ the police force is 94% white/ and theirs only 1 black city council member out of 6. The community has no voice.
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SulLXK93jMk

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/don-lemon-confronts-black-lives-matter-leader-why-not-change-police-depts-from-within/
    The Dallas police chief today said activists could make a difference in their communities by joining the police force, but a Black Lives Matter leader on CNN told Don Lemon today that’s a bad idea.

Activist and California State University professor Melina Abdullah said that what Black Lives Matter wants is a “transformation of the system of policing” where black men are being shot down by the police.

Lemon argued that it could be productive for the movement if activists who want to change the system join it so that they could bring about substantive reforms from within. He said that would be a “great way” to change relationships between police and minority communities.

“We don’t,” she shot back, “want to be incorporated into the system of policing that’s fundamentally oppressive.”

Lemon insisted unity is important and said it’s a good opportunity to be teachers in the community. Abdullah asked, “Why would we want police to be teachers?”

Don why not sew your ? shut so nobody ? your Lemon
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't see how this is bad but whatever

Because its the same ? you was talking

"I'm a become a cop and change the whole system"
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You change from the inside by using the mechanics that's already in place. Far as I know, Black people are still protected by the constitution. There's still a law of checks and balances in our branches of government that we are not utilizing as we should I think. We cannot keep doing this ritual of marching and begging in emotional weakness. We need a target, a specific result we want to happen, and a way to execute it. Sticking to our guns till this country honors our citizenship like we pay it to do.

If the government is unable to honor our citizenship justly, then we may need to be given the same political status Native Americans have. They got something called tribal sovereignty. What we may need is racial sovereignty, and our reparations. I'm talking out my ass now, but what else does a country do with a race it refuses to govern justly. Mass genocide. Trans-atlantic expulsion. Reformed slavery. Without a system of justice, our future is limited.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I find that people who seek to change the system from within usually are changed themselves by the system
  • 5th Letter
    Options

For starters it prevents racists from getting the job, second more representation could lead to greater understanding from both sides and more malleability within the law enforcement systems. It could also ensure that race is not much of a factor in police behavior. Also you can increase support for the ousting of ? cops.

Making an argument that it will stop bad people from being bad is stupid. You can't stop bad people from being bad.

Making an argument about prosecution of bad people ia stupid because police don't prosecute. That's not their job.

Having a police dept full of Ben Carsons ain't going to help either which is why I said "like minded." But if you think calling people pigs and racists is going to change then continue.

A multifaceted problem requires a multifaceted approach to solutions. Its not going to fit on a bumper sticker or a twitter handle. Its going to take work and time but shouting matches ain't going to get ? done. When people start yelling other people stop listening.
    And if a black cop unjustly kills a black person and then gets off then what? Exactly.