Michael Phelps
    nagf4rv7rqzs.png
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Usain Bolt
    Beta wrote: »
    nagf4rv7rqzs.png

but back to my earlier statement. until he races against blacks he aint ? . thats like playing basketball in the 40's and being bill russell against ? white boys
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ineedpussy wrote: »
    nagf4rv7rqzs.png

but back to my earlier statement. until he races against blacks he aint ? . thats like playing basketball in the 40's and being bill russell against ? white boys

That doesn't make any sense. It's not like there is a separate swimming league of blacks that Phelps is ducking. Blacks simply aren't elite swimmers.

The medal count argument needs to stop. Phelps is great, but he's competing in a sport that has a million different events. He still may be the best Olympian ever, but it would be because of how dominant he has been across four sets of games not because he has a bloated number of medals.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Michael Phelps
    nagf4rv7rqzs.png

That doesn't make any sense. It's not like there is a separate swimming league of blacks that Phelps is ducking. Blacks simply aren't elite swimmers.

The medal count argument needs to stop. Phelps is great, but he's competing in a sport that has a million different events. He still may be the best Olympian ever, but it would be because of how dominant he has been across four sets of games not because he has a bloated number of medals.

He has the most medals in a single olympic.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    O.G. wrote: »
    En-Fuego22 wrote: »
    Bolt runs no more than 600m for his three gold medals per Olympics. No more than two races a day for Bolt. While Phelps is in the water all day for a week. Phelps will break a world record in one race then have to be ready to go again in less than an hour. Bolt is more dominant but Phelps is the better Olympian. Phelps is actually racing against people who have a chance to beat him but he finds a way to win. That is greatness.

you just made a better case for Bolt

Yes for being more dominant but the thread is about being the better olympian.

You don't even make sense. Dominanting your field is part of being a better olympian. Why are you trying to separate the two is beyond me.

Usmarin3 is right he has made the most sense. Running is harder on your body than swimming.
    Has bolt received gold in every event hes been in

Mike Tyson was more dominant than Ali. Is Tyson the better boxer? Bolt runs no more than 2 races per day in the olympics. Yall acting like that is a killer schedule. If you played any kind of sport you have ran more than that at any practice. Hell Michael Johnson was running the 200 & 400 in the same day. That's a way harder schedule than Bolt.

Is Bolt the Goat sprinter? Hell Yes
    Is Bolt the Goat Olympian? Hell No

I'm through with this yall can have it. I ain't changing my opinion and obviously yall ain't changing yours.

Peace

Prime Tyson the GOAT heavyweight my G
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    Options
    If you're a swimmer and you're dope like Phelps is, you're bound to win more medals. They've got freestyle, butterfly and medley at 4 different distances.

Not to discount Phelps' achievements but this is an extremely high standard.

I think we'll see another Phelps before we see a Bolt.

No vote
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    Bolt by a narrow margin. Everyone can run, not everyone can swim. The pyramid of humanity that must be conquered to be the fastest sprinter is much bigger than that of the fastest swimmer.

Case closed, I'd say
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    nagf4rv7rqzs.png

So what. If you're a wrestler or a boxer, you have to go through several grueling matches and only get one medal. Say you dominate in that sport for four different Olympics, that's an unheard of feat, but you'll still only have 4 medals. Is Phelps automatically better than that athlete just because Phelps' sport is set up in a way that will allow him to win 5 or 6 medals ever Olympics? I mean Phelps could have a competed in 6 events each Olympics and won gold in half and lost the other half badly. He still would have had the most Gold medals in history. Would you still say he's the greatest Olympian?
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Michael Phelps
    nagf4rv7rqzs.png

So what. If you're a wrestler or a boxer, you have to go through several grueling matches and only get one medal. Say you dominate in that sport for four different Olympics, that's an unheard of feat, but you'll still only have 4 medals. Is Phelps automatically better than that athlete just because Phelps' sport is set up in a way that will allow him to win 5 or 6 medals ever Olympics? I mean Phelps could have a competed in 6 events each Olympics and won gold in half and lost the other half badly. He still would have had the most Gold medals in history. Would you still say he's the greatest Olympian?

We ain't talking about boxing or wrestling. We talking about running vs swimming
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    There is no such thing as greatest Olympian. Period. There is no consensus definition that makes logical sense.

You have "most decorated" which is almost always going to go to the greatest of swimmers.
    Then you have "most dominant". Most dominant should be the discussion here, and I'd say it's Bolt.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    nagf4rv7rqzs.png

We ain't talking about boxing or wrestling. We talking about running vs swimming

And that changes my point how? It's not possible for a sprinter to win as many medals as a short distance swimmer either. Even if Bolt added the 400 and 4x400 to his resume, he'd still only have 15 medals assuming he still won every race.
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Usain Bolt
    nagf4rv7rqzs.png

so we back in segregation? anyway how is a white boy gone be the greatest if he dont play agianst brothers? i gave you an example and you still didnt comprehend. so heres another and if you dont comprehend then im done. ok...their a white boy who lives in "aint no ? round here city and aint no ? round here state". so the white boy is an all american in basketball doing everybody. mr. aint no ? round here state. cool.....he gets a scholly to a d-1. lets say somewhere in the acc. now this white boy who was on the top and the best of the best who always started is now relegated to a bench warmer. why.....cause ? was better than the comp he played against.

i really hope youre trollin. but one true example is their was a white boy in my state and was cold but the sports talk radio i listened to was talkin about this and one of the commentators was like yeah he is good but he....and he said not to be racist(lol) said he probably aint that good cause he doesn't play against black people. and this is coming from a white dude. hell why you think the white mlb didnt want to play a "regular" game against the ? league? or when they did and lost they would say they werent playing hard enough(the white player). man please tell me youre trolling cause you sound and probably are ignorant as ? .

@The Lonious Monk
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Usain Bolt
    What makes you think basketball is equivalent to swimming?
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Michael Phelps
    What if usain was white? Lol
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Usain Bolt
    Black excellence
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    nagf4rv7rqzs.png

so we back in segregation? anyway how is a white boy gone be the greatest if he dont play agianst brothers? i gave you an example and you still didnt comprehend. so heres another and if you dont comprehend then im done. ok...their a white boy who lives in "aint no ? round here city and aint no ? round here state". so the white boy is an all american in basketball doing everybody. mr. aint no ? round here state. cool.....he gets a scholly to a d-1. lets say somewhere in the acc. now this white boy who was on the top and the best of the best who always started is now relegated to a bench warmer. why.....cause ? was better than the comp he played against.

i really hope youre trollin. but one true example is their was a white boy in my state and was cold but the sports talk radio i listened to was talkin about this and one of the commentators was like yeah he is good but he....and he said not to be racist(lol) said he probably aint that good cause he doesn't play against black people. and this is coming from a white dude. hell why you think the white mlb didnt want to play a "regular" game against the ? league? or when they did and lost they would say they werent playing hard enough(the white player). man please tell me youre trolling cause you sound and probably are ignorant as ? .

@The Lonious Monk

I'm not sure if you're joking or really being dense. We're not back in segregation. That's the whole point. To get to the Olympics, Phelps had to come out on top among all the swimmers in America. That includes the black swimmers. There is no separate league for black swimmers. And once you get to the Olympic level, whether or not you had blacks in your city doesn't matter anymore because you had to beat the best from all over the country to get there. Blacks compete in swimming, but, for the most part, the best swimmers are not black. The chick that won Gold this year was the first African American to win a Gold in swimming. That is all that needs to be said. Blacks aren't some kinda unbeatable force in swimming that Phelps is ducking, so the argument you're making doesn't make sense.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options

Heads would blow up here
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Usain Bolt

? would be everwhere

Heads would blow up here

Especially if he was american shiiiit
    Sportscenter would talk about his cac ass all year round
    TBE in everything
    Theyd say usain>>>>ali & jordan
    ? knows they already try to overhype the current cac athletes
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    gns wrote: »

? would be everwhere

He isn't everywhere now? Can you name another athlete that's not even from America that gets as much shine in America as Bolt?

• LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Usain Bolt
    You realize if you have 2 working legs you can run right? The pool of competition is probably greater in running events.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Michael Phelps

Heads would blow up here

Would he be winning this poll if he was white?

Dun dun dunnnnnnn!
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Usain Bolt

He wouldn't be in the Olympics lol
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Usain Bolt

don't be daft
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    Options
    My Maa and aunt have a pic with Usain

? would be everwhere

He isn't everywhere now? Can you name another athlete that's not even from America that gets as much shine in America as Bolt?

The cacs at work love Bolt.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    My Maa and aunt have a pic with Usain

? would be everwhere

The cacs at work love Bolt.

He's the only black male athlete that has commentators pre-emptively shooting critics down for commenting on his confidence. Most black athletes get ? on all day for being cocky. It's just something about Bolt that is universally embraced.

My homeboy went to the Olympics and he said whenever Bolt came out on to the track, you would have thought he represented everybody's country the way people reacted.