Obama Cancels Meeting with Philippines President After Duterte Calls US Leader 'Son of a ? '

Options
Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2016 in The Social Lounge
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/05/obama-cancels-meeting-with-philippines-president-after-duterte-calls-us-leader-son-of-a-b.html

President Barack Obama canceled what would have been his first meeting with Filipino President Rodrigo Duterte, after Duterte described Obama in ? terms, a White House spokesman said on Tuesday.

Duterte, a plain-spoken populist known for his colorful remarks and his campaign against illegal drugs in which thousands of people have died, described Obama as a "son of a ? " to reporters on Monday, a day ahead of the planned meeting in Laos, where South Asian leaders are meeting for annual summits.

Obama learned about the insult as he emerged from the Group of 20 summit in Hangzhou, China. At a news conference, he said he had told his aides to speak with Philippine officials "to find out is this, in fact, a time where we can have some constructive, productive conversations," leaving little doubt that the meeting would proceed as planned.

"I always want to make sure that if I'm having a meeting, that it's actually productive and we're getting something done," Obama told reporters.

Instead, Obama now plans to meet later on Tuesday with South Korean President Park Geun-hye, said Ned Price, spokesman for the White House National Security Council - a meeting where the response to North Korea's latest missile tests is expected to be on the agenda.

Obama arrived in Vientiane just before midnight on Monday, for the first visit by a sitting U.S. president to Laos, where he wants to begin to address the legacy of U.S. bombing during the Vietnam War.

He was set to give an address on the importance he has placed on Southeast Asia in his foreign and economic policy during his two terms in office, which will end on Jan. 20, setting the stage for three days of meetings with regional leaders.

The White House had said Obama did not plan to pull any punches on his concerns about human rights abuses in the Philippines, its treaty ally, when meeting Duterte.

Duterte won the presidency in May as he promised to suppress crime and wipe out drugs and drug dealers, and a wave of extrajudicial killings has followed.

103915517-GettyImages-599453038.530x298.jpg?v=1473116338
Saul Loeb | AFP | Getty Images

US President Barack Obama speaks during a press conference during the G-20 Summit in Hangzhou.
Duterte said it would be "rude" for Obama to raise the human rights issue, and told reporters such a conversation would prompt him to curse at Obama, using a Filipino phrase for "son of a ? ."

"Plenty will be killed until the last pusher is out of the streets. Until the (last) drug manufacturer is killed we will continue," he said.

Later Tuesday, The Philippines said that Duterte regretted his comments that came across as a personal attack and led to the cancellation of a meeting between the leaders of the allied nations.

"President Duterte explained that the press reports that President Obama would 'lecture' him on extrajudicial killings led to his strong comments, which in turn elicited concern," the Philippines said in a statement.

It's not the first time Duterte has cursed at a world leader. He called Pope Francis a "? " in May, and called U.S. Ambassador Philip Goldberg a "? ? ."

On Monday, Obama said he recognized the importance of fighting the drug trade, but insisted it must be done under the rule of law.

The unusually open tensions threaten to overshadow the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and East Asia Summits in Laos from Tuesday to Thursday.
The 10-member ASEAN will meet leaders of other regional powers: China, Japan, South Korea, Australia, India, Russia and the United States.

The Philippines has been a key U.S. ally in its dispute with China over the South China Sea, in which Washington blames Beijing for militarizing a vital global trade route and jeopardizing freedom of movement at sea and in the air.

China rejects those accusations, and in turn blames the United States for ratcheting up tensions unnecessarily. China claims most of the South China Sea, through which more than $5 trillion of trade moves annually. Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam have rival claims.

An arbitration court in The Hague in July invalidated China's vast territorial claims to the waterway after a case was brought by the Philippines, a ruling that Beijing refuses to recognize.

Duterte said last month he expected all ASEAN members to support the arbitration court's ruling, but that the Philippines would not raise the issue in Laos.

This muthafucka is a clown. He won't meet with the Filipine president for clowin' him and Stanley Ann, but potna stay ? ' with those white muthafuckas who have clownin' him and family for everyday of his presidency.

Comments

• not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't know what the big deal is. Just cuz he's president ? have to respect him? Nah. Political positions don't command respect from everyone. It's a title that'll be passed until this ? country implodes. ? that title.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    Why would you meet with that dude anyway?

Why not? I'd pull up talking big ? , dare em to die for it. Press ? .

Obama ain't real.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Obama bout to starve these ? in the street b

they been doing that.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    13117986_121999384871436_566412385_n.jpg

Don't be surprise if the Philippines gets themselves an onslaught of Isis attacks.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? didn't diss the president, but dissed his moms.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    'Dude, he called his deceased mother a ? . How did he not clown the pres. when he's her son?
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Rex ? you talkin bout. Have you read about this dude, "Trump of Philippines". He's basically going "The Purge" on his own country right now and will be lucky if he isn't in The Hague someday. Even agreeing to meet with him was more of a good look than he deserved. Dude ran death squads as a mayor and is now doing it as a President. Yeah I'm sure that'll end well.

"potna stay ? ' with those white muthafuckas who have clownin' him" - newsflash, President has to talk to Congress. Budgets ultimately have to be passed, debt limits have to be raised. He don't have to talk to this loud muhfucka. He is under no obligation.

Obama almost doubled U.S Military Aid to the Philippines...

"Philippines is growing increasingly desperate for more U.S. military support."

http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/06/01/philippines-china-military-carter/

If homeboy really wanna pop that ? , he can worry about China building island fortresses in the South China Sea his damn self
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Losses in Philippine stocks are accelerating as foreigners keep pulling money from Asia’s most expensive market, amid speculation that the outbursts of President Rodrigo Duterte are hurting investor sentiment.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/philippines-president-rodrigo-duterte-barack-obama-insult-stock-market-loses-hundreds-of-millions-a7229696.html
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Obama bout to starve these ? in the street b
    Jabu_Rule wrote: »
    Losses in Philippine stocks are accelerating as foreigners keep pulling money from Asia’s most expensive market, amid speculation that the outbursts of President Rodrigo Duterte are hurting investor sentiment.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/philippines-president-rodrigo-duterte-barack-obama-insult-stock-market-loses-hundreds-of-millions-a7229696.html

• R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    The amount of disrespect Obama has gotten since taking office is chilling, like this has got to be some unprecedented ? .

How the ? does the Philippines get on the radar to even be disrespecting the ? President of the United States?

This ? ain't even about whether you like Obama or not, some things are bigger than that. Thia dude Obama has been disrespected over and over again by state governors, house members, senators and now ? foreign leaders?

Man I couldn't be that dude.

Guess ? knew he wasn't willing to die about it

• aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Obama should went to the meeting then slapped buddy like Charlie Murphy did Rick James
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    I always wondered..what happens if during one of these meetings between leaders..like if Putin and Obama were meeting and on camera they get into it and Putin just swings and a brawl breaks out between secret service and Russia's squad..are we like at war then?

? happens....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm16htweOJQ
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Y'all really want him to go to the podium like

"Secret service Around Me two Glock 9s

For Any ? whispering about mines

And I'm Chi-Town's finest

You rewind this, Biden's behind this"

Obama only good with them Drones
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    I don't give a ?
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options

Lmaooo Biden the Goat

"We can hand this ? right now what u tryna do"
    160112214015-14-sotu-2016-super-169.jpg
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options

Lmaooo Biden the Goat

"We can hand this ? right now what u tryna do"
    160112214015-14-sotu-2016-super-169.jpg

b9aikn4k5u3j.jpeg

"Deeper and deeper, help you reach the
 ? that your man can't make

Call him, tell him you'll be home real late"

Biden Man, another angle

d9to3qla12so.jpeg
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    The amount of disrespect Obama has gotten since taking office is chilling, like this has got to be some unprecedented ? .

How the ? does the Philippines get on the radar to even be disrespecting the ? President of the United States?

This ? ain't even about whether you like Obama or not, some things are bigger than that. Thia dude Obama has been disrespected over and over again by state governors, house members, senators and now ? foreign leaders?

Man I couldn't be that dude.

The worst part about it is that disrespect was created and fostered here and it goes way beyond policy. I'd even go as far as to say that it's surprising that the first black president hasn't gotten worse than he has - that alone is a testament to his legacy.

Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with a lot of his policies but when you compare Obama with his predecessors...

Reagan: Iran-contra scandal, ignored AIDS, had freaking alzheimers, Savings and loan crisis, basically ended public mental health facilities and flooded the streets and jails with mental patients

Bush I: NAFTA, ? , Noriega, Gulf War

Clinton: Crime Bill, Hilary Clinton, Rwanda, Bosnia, Passed NAFTA, Lewinsky

Bush II: (too long to list)

If Obama did any one of those he would be rightfully demonized. So not only did he not ? up but he also didn't play it safe and managed to actually get some ? done in the process.
    Also I'm ? as ? right now and have no idea how I got on this tangent so i might be way off topic at this point. my bad.