Are Elitists or "heads" Bad for hip hop?

Options
Mvpbrodie93
Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in The Reason
Discuss.......

I think when people blindly follow "heads" that's a problem

Comments

• Mvpbrodie93
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I meant bad for hip hop
  • Mvpbrodie93
    edited July 2010
    Options
    naw, it just seem like "hip hop heads" feel like the music they like or listen to should be the ONLY type of hip hop PERIOD. I mean, dam everyone I know likes and respects lupe fiasco but ? don't want to hear that type of music ALL THE DAM TIME. Sometimes ? like to hear club music/gangsta music/riding music/ AS WELL.

I agree. I LOVE the world is yours, but I don't want to hear that ? at a party
  • brombonze
    brombonze Members Posts: 406
    edited July 2010
    Options
    "Heads" are good 4 hip hop. Elitists are just another term 4 haters that refuse to accept change.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Eardrums >>>...
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Nope they're the ones keeping Hip Hop alive (from a cultural standpoint).....They should stop signing people who can't rap and let the R&B dudes make the club songs. Or just ask someone who can actually rap to make a club song.

What's wrong with these songs???
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    dat ? is easier said than done nowadays. can you count on 2 hands how many "elite lyrical" emcees have a club record that actually cranks pimpn? be honest w/ cha self. all them songs you put up is old as hell. and pump it up is WACK

I don't get what you're saying. I said to let the R&B dudes and/or the good rappers to make the club songs. Stop signing people who can't rap just because they make good club music. ....And yes every lyrical emcee can make a club record if they wanted to. It's way harder to make a song with an actual concept, then it is to make a club banger...I mean #cmonson.

More recent examples...

• Fazeem_Blackall
    Fazeem_Blackall Members Posts: 4,216 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    genstasia wrote: »
    This but i dont think its more so excepting Change it's holding up a standard.... And u cant always have what u wish for i guess.....
    I don't get what you're saying. I said to let the R&B dudes and/or the good rappers to make the club songs. Stop signing people who can't rap just because they make good club music. More recent examples....And yes every lyrical emcee can make a club record if they wanted to. It's way harder to make a song with an actual concept, then it is to make a club banger...I mean #cmonson.

All true ? ...
  • DaPrinciplez
    DaPrinciplez Members Posts: 1,148
    edited August 2010
    Options
    If "elitists" weren't around hip hop would be worse off then it already is.....

Every song would sound like Pretty Boy Swag or Lemonade.

Elitists still hold true to the essence of hip hop, without them there would be no market for actual hip hop and your favorite rapper would only be makin songs to cater for the "casual listener".

I don't agree with alot of elitists but I find myself to be considered one alot too.....it's weird.

Just a second ago I was listenin to "The What" with BIG and Mef and then I played "M.E.T.H.O.D Man" for the girl I'm chillin with and she had never heard them songs. I noticed after I said it but when the songs finished I said "Damn, I wish hip hop still sounded like this".

That's an elitist thing to say I guess.....but the fact still remains, if we took a worldwide vote by every hip hop fan and the outcome would change the hip hop mainstream music scene FOREVER.....would you want hip hop to sound like it does now? Or like it did back in the 90's? Or even earlier.

Honestly. I'd rather it sound like how it did in the 90's.

I'm not a hater though. I love listenin to T.I, Jeezy, Gucci, Luda, Ross etc etc.

But hip hop used to mean so much more to so many people.....I miss them days.
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    elitist are terrible for hip hop...all dem ? should die..
  • contemplate
    contemplate Members Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    dat ? is easier said than done nowadays. can you count on 2 hands how many "elite lyrical" emcees have a club record that actually cranks pimpn? be honest w/ cha self. all them songs you put up is old as hell. and pump it up is WACK

arab money and on to the next one are terrible records. Fab featuring on an r&b singer song. can many recent "lyrical" rappers make a hit record w/o an r&b singer? i haven't seen many do it pimpn. luda can, jigga can(w/ sum1 else doin tha hook for him.) but there's not many pimpn.

just cause you don't like them doesn't make them whack/terrible
  • bunz
    bunz Members Posts: 1,000
    edited August 2010
    Options
    hip hop heads are the true fans are they not? how can that be bad for a genre of music? if you are a true fan of hip hop you are a hip hop head.... ur either that or a casual listener... Elitist is a stupid term with respect to hip hop.... just because you know the essence of hip hop and demand both great creativity on the lyrical side as well as the production side doesn't mean you're an elitist, it means you will only accept a complete finished product and enjoy when passion and individualistic creativity are put into the music you listen to... not mindless ? .... it shows that an artist respects the genre of music from which they belong
  • Meet The Sniper
    Meet The Sniper Members Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    To be completely honest with you, no. Hip-hop elitists are terrible. They're usually people who grew up on old school hip-hop and are locked into the traditions/styles of that era. These ? are so out of touch with today's culture and people it's funny. Especially in an era where Hip-Hop artists are exploring individualism and finding their own "sound", these ? are cancerous. If it isn't Rakim, MF Doom, Nas, etc then it's trash.

Even if the music itself isn't trash, they'll still find a new ? way to write it off. Drake standing out? Oh, he's soft. Cool Kids too creative? They're hipsters. Charles Hamilton is lyrical and unique? Oh, it doesn't count cause he got hit by a girl. Kanye pioneering? Oh he's ? . Wale trying to pay homage to Hiphop while bringing DC culture to the masses? Oh he's fake/lame. Cudi taking a bold direction and having success? Well it don't count cause his pants is tight. (as if that ? wasn't hot in the 80s)

Hip-hop elitist are just massive haters. I hate the term hater, but nothing fits them this well. Everything has to be insanely lyrical. ? forbid anything else. ? forbid style, ? forbid individualism. What's worse is the up and coming MCs who have to go through these people to get a name for themselves, only to have these fickle ass ? hate them once they blow up. All they know how to do is hate.

It's funny, I came into the hiphop online/blogging universe to learn about new acts I should listen to. I succeeded, I learned about J.Cole, Donnis, Blue Scholars, Jay Electronica, Charles Hamilton etc. The sad thing is this was largely due to my own snooping. The bloggsphere itself has more often told me who not to listen to than who to listen to.
    naw, it just seem like "hip hop heads" feel like the music they like or listen to should be the ONLY type of hip hop PERIOD. I mean, dam everyone I know likes and respects lupe fiasco but ? don't want to hear that type of music ALL THE DAM TIME. Sometimes ? like to hear club music/gangsta music/riding music/ AS WELL.

Nah, not Lupe. Hip hop elitists grudgingly accepts him because of his sick lyrics. They'll still find a way to throw ? labels at him though. (Nerd rap, skateboarder, backpacker)

I wholeheartedly blame Gangsta Rap for hiphops downfall, but these new dudes is doing a great job fixing things. You're a ? and Teach Me How to Dougie are large upgrades over ? like Crank Dat, yet nobody will ever admit it because they're too busy whining and consoling Nas for his losses.
    don't get what you're saying. I said to let the R&B dudes and/or the good rappers to make the club songs. Stop signing people who can't rap just because they make good club music. ....And yes every lyrical emcee can make a club record if they wanted to. It's way harder to make a song with an actual concept, then it is to make a club banger...I mean #cmonson.

More recent examples...

Lol @ some of these examples. What Them Girls Like was a terrible song lyrically and party wise. It was bathroom music. And Arab Money didn't last a month, dance included.

Say Ahh is a party highlight though.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I did a thread asking people on here to define an "elitist" and it always comes back as those who like a certain brand of underground or lyrical hip hop. However, the same could be said about people who like the music that's less lyrical of today. You can be an elitist if you like ? that bangs in the whip >>>>>>>> anything with substance to it.

I say that to say this: Hip Hop has many sides, and if people prefer certain content to others, than that is their preference and not what i would consider elitism, but no matter what content you enjoy that's no reason to excuse poor talent.

For those people who are upset because they perceive that fans of yesterday are hating on hip hop of today because they are stuck in their ways, consider this: The climate of music in general is worse today than it was ten years ago. I don't just mean that the artistry has declined, but the business itself has declined. I don't like some of the artists of today, but i don't hate those artists for existing or even playing constantly on the radio. I recognize as a fan of music that these artists were placed here by the industry to be stupid in order to get exploited by a 360-Deal that most serious artists would be too smart to sign without some form of concession.

All-in-all i don't think that "elitists" as we view them are bad for hip hop, i think they are the most critical of hip hop. I see a lot of so called elitists in this forum crushing stans and haters in various debates. Hip Hop Heads just simply care enough about the music to learn about it, as most people who listen to the music don't. Most people who listen to the music and buy the music are casual music listeners who go to the radio as a primary source of music. Hip Hop Heads appreciate hip hop from an artistic POV much like a hip hop artist would.

Enough of my rant. Personally, the only think I think is bad for hip hop is the hip hop industry and the radio, but that's me.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited August 2010
    Options
    elitists are bad because those are usually the one's saying stupid ? like "I wish rap sounded like it did in the 90's"...why the ? would I want music in 2010 to sound like it did in 1991...that's ? to me...music is supposed to evolve and change...if the sound/style of rap music had stayed the same that damn long rap would've died out a long time ago...do i like every new song thats out today? hell no but I do like the fact that the sound of rap music has expanded to a level it hasn't been seen before...elitists are just so caught up in "It's not the essence of hip hop" that they're missing the bigger picture...and also the when people talk about the "essence" of hip-hop not being club/party records they're ignoring the fact that early hip-hop parties thrown by Kool Herc were strictly focused on party records not songs with strong messages...
  • curtis75black
    curtis75black Members Posts: 606
    edited August 2010
    Options
    What I noticed from a lot of "Heads" is that they hate the same type of music they grew up on in the past. How the ? can you hate on a R&B collabo or sample when a lot of the Wu did the same ? ? Method Man and Mary J. Blige anyone ? One of Hip Hop's biggest hits !! Do I feel some are out of touch, yes I do. I myself, can listen to anyone who is saying something substantial - a tone I always held high. If its corny, I delete. I might not check for every new jack emcee but if they came with something that catches my attention like music did in my early days, I will check the artists out. Sometimes a lot of fans feel they have no choice but to diss a certain style of Hip Hop to keep that credibility.
  • Legend24
    Legend24 Members Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Elitists: Bad for hip-hop (bad for music in general). They are stuck in the past and refuse to open up their ears to different sounds. They won't be satisfied unless you get them a time machine to send them back to 1988.

Heads: Good for hip-hop. They appreciate the history of the art and know what they like. With that said, they're open to change and can still enjoy new music if they deem it to be quality stuff.
  • Meet The Sniper
    edited August 2010
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    I did a thread asking people on here to define an "elitist" and it always comes back as those who like a certain brand of underground or lyrical hip hop. However, the same could be said about people who like the music that's less lyrical of today. You can be an elitist if you like ? that bangs in the whip >>>>>>>> anything with substance to it.

I say that to say this: Hip Hop has many sides, and if people prefer certain content to others, than that is their preference and not what i would consider elitism, but no matter what content you enjoy that's no reason to excuse poor talent.

For those people who are upset because they perceive that fans of yesterday are hating on hip hop of today because they are stuck in their ways, consider this: The climate of music in general is worse today than it was ten years ago. I don't just mean that the artistry has declined, but the business itself has declined. I don't like some of the artists of today, but i don't hate those artists for existing or even playing constantly on the radio. I recognize as a fan of music that these artists were placed here by the industry to be stupid in order to get exploited by a 360-Deal that most serious artists would be too smart to sign without some form of concession.

All-in-all i don't think that "elitists" as we view them are bad for hip hop, i think they are the most critical of hip hop. I see a lot of so called elitists in this forum crushing stans and haters in various debates. Hip Hop Heads just simply care enough about the music to learn about it, as most people who listen to the music don't. Most people who listen to the music and buy the music are casual music listeners who go to the radio as a primary source of music. Hip Hop Heads appreciate hip hop from an artistic POV much like a hip hop artist would.

Enough of my rant. Personally, the only think I think is bad for hip hop is the hip hop industry and the radio, but that's me.

Good post. Though you were always a little more open-minded than most of the old heads I hear about.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited August 2010
    Options
    So called elitist serve their purpose they are the one's that are checking for and supporting the older hip hop heads, however their views are a little narrow minded at times, but I agree with one thing and that is they have a certain standard that they feel should be upheld, I cant be mad at that.
  • tdoto88
    tdoto88 Members Posts: 751
    edited August 2010
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    elitists are bad because those are usually the one's saying stupid ? like "I wish rap sounded like it did in the 90's"...why the ? would I want music in 2010 to sound like it did in 1991...that's ? to me...music is supposed to evolve and change...if the sound/style of rap music had stayed the same that damn long rap would've died out a long time ago...do i like every new song thats out today? hell no but I do like the fact that the sound of rap music has expanded to a level it hasn't been seen before...elitists are just so caught up in "It's not the essence of hip hop" that they're missing the bigger picture...and also the when people talk about the "essence" of hip-hop not being club/party records they're ignoring the fact that early hip-hop parties thrown by Kool Herc were strictly focused on party records not songs with strong messages...

one of the best posts ive read thus far
  • Meet The Sniper
    edited August 2010
    Options
    mane, that ? is WACK. "pump pump it up!!!!!" "my jumpoff....." GTFOH!!!! I be ashamed to tell ppl i like joe budden b/cuz of that bs ass song. That arab ? is WACK, FOH

Haha, no lie that dance died the same week it came out.
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    Fazeem_Blackall Members Posts: 4,216 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    good discussions should never die...
  • b@squ1@t redux
    b@squ1@t redux Members Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    wouldnt say theyre bad....

just ? annoying
  • contemplate
    contemplate Members Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    mane, that ? is WACK. "pump pump it up!!!!!" "my jumpoff....." GTFOH!!!! I be ashamed to tell ppl i like joe budden b/cuz of that bs ass song. That arab ? is WACK, FOH

it gets people pumped. people don't sit down and try and listen to the lyrics.
  • Scarface!
    Scarface! Banned Users Posts: 551
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I only see elitist on the internet and they are annoying as hell
  • icame4wo
    icame4wo Members Posts: 1,597 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    to a certain extent they are bad. but their intentions are good. they normally just want to persevere rap music in the way that it was first introduced. what i dont like is the regional heads who want to keep it ny or talk about krs-1 like he's ? or are just uptight about real rap music that may be a dance track.