Jon Favreau To Direct Live-Action Reimagining Of ‘The Lion King’ For Disney

Options

Comments

• rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rebooting, remaking, 're-imagining', sequel hungry ass ? ...

I seriously think Hollywood studios need to invest vigorously in screenplay writers on the come up ... originality in film has taken a nosedive since the start of the new millennium
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »

I seriously think Hollywood studios need to invest vigorously in screenplay writers on the come up ... originality in film has taken a nosedive since the start of the new millennium

Disney is the only one going all in with these cash grabs. Recycling everything from Star Wars to their animated musicals and making every Marvel release since 2012 pretty interchangeable.

Can't blame them considering that they lost a lot of guap when they took chances on stuff like The Lone Ranger and Tomorrowland and lost a grip of money. Blame the audience by enabling this ? by turning up in droves for nostalgia fests and recycling while ignoring the bolder or more original stuff. Disney is just doing what any other corporation would and following the money ? .

Yes this is all uninspired easy money for them but considering that prior to buying Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm and remaking their animated classics they were really struggling outside of Pirates and Pixar movies they didn't really have a choice.

They tried their Tron: Legacy and John Carter experiments and nobody really cared. So they doubled down on the IPs that are guaranteed hits and make a profit regardless of quality.

The real problem is how this also influenced the rival studios to chase after them and fail.

Instead of becoming the alternative studio that could challenge them and the rest with bolder and more original film releases. These studios are trying to copy disney without understanding their formula. When they would be better off coming up with their own formula. Which would lead to standing out and balancing out the big budget picture scene a lot more.
  • nickel-us P
    nickel-us P Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Atleast these guys still alive. They bet not touch Aladdin
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Atleast these guys still alive. They bet not touch Aladdin

Umm I heard Aladdin will be one of the movies they gonna make live action
  • Broddie
    edited September 2016
    Options
    All of it will be made live action. All of it. The floodgates were opened once they commisioned a live action sequel to their animated Alice in Wonderland and it made over a billion dollars. Maleficent, Cinderella, The Jungle Book and soon Beauty and the Beast just kept them wide open.

Live action takes on:

The Little Mermaid
    Aladdin
    Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
    Pinocchio
    The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
    Lady and the ?

Amongst many others = Disney's major slate for the next 2 decades.

It's easy money especially since the movies are already practically written anyway.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited September 2016
    Options
    They remaking Mulan too. I have no problems with these remakes on paper. Only one I'm hesitant about is the lion king.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Now that I think of it, the word "re-imagining" worries me. That's different than a remake. That suggests that some aspect of the movie could be radically different. Like it might not even be about animals anymore.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If James Earl Jones and the gawd Jeremy Irons aren't going to be in this don't bother because NO ONE bodies those characters more. Just import the OG soundtrack too because nothing made will match that.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    edited September 2016
    Options
    after seeing Jungle Book remake which was awesome , im all for it.

Jeremy Irons
    James Earl Johns
    Rowan Atkinson

have to return.

Mufasa will look like Aslan from Chronicles of Narnia ? have Liam Neesom in that ? .
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

Disney is the only one going all in with these cash grabs. Recycling everything from Star Wars to their animated musicals and making every Marvel release since 2012 pretty interchangeable.

Can't blame them considering that they lost a lot of guap when they took chances on stuff like The Lone Ranger and Tomorrowland and lost a grip of money. Blame the audience by enabling this ? by turning up in droves for nostalgia fests and recycling while ignoring the bolder or more original stuff. Disney is just doing what any other corporation would and following the money ? .

Yes this is all uninspired easy money for them but considering that prior to buying Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm and remaking their animated classics they were really struggling outside of Pirates and Pixar movies they didn't really have a choice.

They tried their Tron: Legacy and John Carter experiments and nobody really cared. So they doubled down on the IPs that are guaranteed hits and make a profit regardless of quality.

The real problem is how this also influenced the rival studios to chase after them and fail.

Instead of becoming the alternative studio that could challenge them and the rest with bolder and more original film releases. These studios are trying to copy disney without understanding their formula. When they would be better off coming up with their own formula. Which would lead to standing out and balancing out the big budget picture scene a lot more.

But why? Disney does not NEED the money. At this point they are just being greedy. They own damn near everything.
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Please do Aladdin with Dude from Slum dog millionaires next.
  • Broddie
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

But why? Disney does not NEED the money. At this point they are just being greedy. They own damn near everything.

Again Disney took many risks these past 5 years especially with live action (ie: Prince of Persia) and got little to no rewards losing tens to hundreds of millions in the process. I don't care what their monetary value is no corporation wants to lose that kinda money back to back which they were doing.

It's not like they didn't try with the risk taking but after almost a decade of consecutive bricks what did you realistically expect them to do?

They went from the town laughing stock to the kings of the industry once they made their desperate plays and invested in critic proof sure things (ie: purchasing Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm). Something they were forced to do considering the position they found thenselves in.

It was either consider losing hundreds of more millions or find the easy path to making millions. Only one of those options made cents.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man.? THIS ? .....the Lion.King is one of my goat movies I watch it once a week.....can quote the entire ? from beginning to end...all speaking characters...how dare they ? w a classic

Whats next rewriting the bible?
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options
    I don't know if I could handle that mufasa death scene if he using the same cgi in jungle book. Grown men will cry that day

Yea idk how they gonna convey scar's evil especially in a scene like that. He had them slick ass ? expressions and was smirking the whole time. That's why idk about this cuz animation let's you be over dramatic. Can't do that with real animals...but we'll see.
  • illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't know if I could handle that mufasa death scene if he using the same cgi in jungle book. Grown men will cry that day

Yea idk how they gonna convey scar's evil especially in a scene like that. He had them slick ass ? expressions and was smirking the whole time. That's why idk about this cuz animation let's you be over dramatic. Can't do that with real animals...but we'll see.

If they conveyed ? expressions in the latest planet of the apes movies I think they can do it here too
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options

If they conveyed ? expressions in the latest planet of the apes movies I think they can do it here too

True true...
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Please do Aladdin with Dude from Slum dog millionaires next.

Nah, Scott Weinger gonna reprise his role...

8f800acd35893c69fe0608ee449b1af8.jpg
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just found out 2day they are already filming a Beauty & the Beast with Emma watson