PS VR

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think it's dope. I checked it out at Best Buy a few weeks back and played Valkyrie and Battlezone. I'll be getting it eventually, but probably not at launch tomorrow.

The reviews in general are positive. However, there are some drawbacks. You do have to be mindful of where you're playing because a lot sunlight or shiny/reflective surfaces can give the system problems. Also, the PS4 cam and Move controls are relatively old tech and are problematic sometimes. I can see them releasing updated versions of both in the near future. That said, those are pretty much the kinds of issues you see as an early adopter of any product, so if you were one of the people get got the PS4 or XB1 at launch and was happy, you probably will be good with this too.
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ima wait for it to mature some more.

https://youtu.be/vemBF3ZBYws
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ima say the same about VR that I said about AR, the tech needs improvin' before it becomes the standard/becomes interwoven into daily life.

Its not like when we were young and you could buy a brand new game and still have to blow in it man ? needs to be perfect straight away.

Technology is movin' quickly nowadays tho' a few years and VR probably be just like in old movies.

• Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think I'm going to be an early adopter on this one. Contemplated it but I think I'll wait for more games and maybe the next model.
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Do you get to ? in this one??
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tried it. Wasn't really impressed. HTC Vive got nothing to worry about. They're still the gold standard.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Ima say the same about VR that I said about AR, the tech needs improvin' before it becomes the standard/becomes interwoven into daily life.

Its not like when we were young and you could buy a brand new game and still have to blow in it man ? needs to be perfect straight away.

Technology is movin' quickly nowadays tho' a few years and VR probably be just like in old movies.

That's not really what they are going for with the PSVR or any of the other VR stuff though. Every does or at least should understand that this is just the first step.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Karl.
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    Tried it. Wasn't really impressed. HTC Vive got nothing to worry about. They're still the gold standard.

The price difference in the 2 products is huge so that's to be expected.

PSVR is entry level stuff.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Suppose to pick mine up today.

Havent touched VR since an expo in Stutgartt Germany in 94.... BeachHead dont count. Oh wait thats not true. Also the warFighter made with Crytek coding.

But my experience is limited.

Saw that Driveclub VR was reviewed and called the ? Comet which disappoints me greatly.

I'd be wary of anything that bashes a game because it makes the player sick. As it stands, the effect VR has on a player varies pretty greatly from person to person.
    Karl. wrote: »

Exactly. The Vive itself costs as much as a PS4 (OG) and full PSVR bundle, and that's not even counting the fact that you'll need a $700 - $1000 PC and dedicated gaming room to really use it.
  • Broddie
    Options

I know but this ? is only gonna appeal to a niche audience in the first place. The type willing to spend that type of guap on a quality experience in the first place. So that's realistically where their competition lies. Appealing to that demo. Good luck to them cause it's PSVR's greatest shot.

Your average PS4 user is not gonna spend the equivalent to purchasing a second PS4 on a peripheral. Sony is in for another rude awakening sadly but this ? gonna wind up worse than Move. Mostly because more than 60% of the PS4 userbase are uber casuals with no real interest in VR.
  • Karl.
    Options
    Yea it's going to be interesting to see how it all works out.

I do think VR will be mainstream in a few years when the price point is more appealing to the casual.

It has a lot of potential. Imaging they put a camera on a referee in a boxing ring or even ringside or front row at a concert/football match. ? would be dope. It does seem mega unsociable though.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

I know but this ? is only gonna appeal to a niche audience in the first place. The type willing to spend that type of guap on a quality experience in the first place. So that's realistically where their competition lies. Appealing to that demo. Good luck to them cause it's PSVR's greatest shot.

Your average PS4 user is not gonna spend the equivalent to purchasing a second PS4 on a peripheral. Sony is in for another rude awakening sadly but this ? gonna wind up worse than Move. Mostly because more than 60% of the PS4 userbase are uber casuals with no real interest in VR.

I don't really understand the point you're trying to make. Everything you're saying is correct, but it doesn't really address his point at all. Yes, they are targeting a niche audience out of the PS4 base, but there is still a big difference between $500 as an entry to VR gaming and $800 (plus another $800+ for a gaming rig). By most accounts, the PSVR does offer a quality experience. It's just inferior to that of the Vive or Rift. You can pretty much say the same thing when comparing a PS4 to a gaming PC.
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just made it back with my setup.

Somebitch is light as ? and easy to adjust.
    (thank goodness cause i completely forgot about my hair)

Plugging it up was a sinch.

Downloading apps and games for it now.

First impressions?
  • Broddie
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Except for a lot of people it hasn't been just 500 bucks. They have to pay an extra 100 bucks for a set of move controllers and like 60 bucks for a camera. That is damn near 700 bucks.

While a lot of them don't have to pay an additional 800 bucks on top of the 800 for the Vive because they already have a compatible PC (we're talking about high end users here who is the main VR market at this moment). So to them there isn't much incentive at all to op for PSVR over a more prestige experience.
  • Karl.
    Options
    Yea that's what put me off a bit. Having to pay all the extras for the camera and ? .

Can't justify it when I've just paid £600+ for a TV.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Except for a lot of people it hasn't been just 500 bucks. They have to pay an extra 100 bucks for a set of move controllers and like 60 bucks for a camera. That is damn near 700 bucks.

While a lot of them don't have to pay an additional 800 bucks on top of the 800 for the Vive because they already have a compatible PC (we're talking about high end users here who is the main VR market at this moment). So to them there isn't much incentive at all to op for PSVR over a more prestige experience.

$500 is how much it costs for the bundle that comes with the PSVR, Move controllers, PS4 cam, and PS Worlds game. So no, it's not near $700. And Sony's target are the people in its user base. The vast majority of those people DON"T have gaming rigs, so the PSVR is a much cheaper option for the large majority of PS4 owners than either the Vive or Rift. You're making this wrong assumption that only extremely tech savvy people are interested in VR. If that were the case, the PSVR pre-orders wouldn't have been more than the Vive and Rift preorders combined. There is clearly a market for people interested in VR who don't want to have to spend a paycheck to get it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    DNB1 wrote: »
    Just made it back with my setup.

Somebitch is light as ? and easy to adjust.
    (thank goodness cause i completely forgot about my hair)

Plugging it up was a sinch.

Downloading apps and games for it now.

First impressions?

I like it so far.

Didnt know it had a level of depth to it.

Havent tried drive club yet. I will later.

Bought wayward sky cause the demo was that fun. Kids will love it.

Wayward Sky was made by a Black Indie game developer. Haven't heard of too many of those.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Feels like Sony is sending VR out to die. Theres zero promo. This and the Pro feel like pretty soft launches. What is the killer app/reason to own for either again?
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    Feels like Sony is sending VR out to die. Theres zero promo. This and the Pro feel like pretty soft launches. What is the killer app/reason to own for either again?

Thats true, ive been on youtube alot lately havent seen a single ad, you would think people that have cut wires would be the target audience.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    focus wrote: »

Maybe that goes into the fact that it's targeting a niche audience. If you are interested in VR, you know about the PSVR. It's been making its rounds at games and electronics shows for a couple years now. They've had demos in Best Buys and Gamespots. So they've been promoing it, just not to an extremely large audience.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I definitely want to try it out. Ain't gonna be abe to buy it for awhile tho.