Betrayal:We Were Never Friends. We Just Grew Up Together.Hidden Racism

Options

Comments

• zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This gets it all wrong.

It's not that they weren't really his friends, but that their anti-black racism was not of a kind that precluded friendships with some blacks.

People need more sophisticated analyses of racism.

Ayo man shut the ? up and by the way I know who you are
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    edited October 2016
    Options
    this thread reeks of dangerous generalizations gaddamn.

why do you guys act like we all have the same life experience ?

stop spreading your race fears and racial paranoia and travel a little because some of you are no different than the actual racists you claim to hate and fight against.
  • blue_london
    blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »

stop spreading your race fears and racial paranoia and travel a little because some of you are no different than the actual racists you claim to hate and fight against.

100% agree
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    a.mann wrote: »
    Coincidentally enough,I was just talking about how practically all my old Army buddies are NOW realizing something I've know since day one.
    Damn near ALL the white cats they THOUGHT was cool and they friends?
    The ones we serviced with.....deployed with in war zones...literally in a life or death situations
    Harbor deep-seated racism and bigotry

They are now disheartened learning the true feelings of their "white battle buddies "
    Exposed by:
    1. The election and re-election of Barrack Obama as President.

2. By the social & racial upraising caused by the murders of Trayvon Martin,Eric Garner etc.....

3.By the nomination of Donald Trump

I'm not a "racist" or "anti-white". I don't go out my way to show hatred,disrespect,vilify or demonize white folk.
    That's not in my nature.
    I treat ALL people with respect and courtesy until to they SHOW me otherwise they aren't worthy of such.
    To be honest it's quite a few white people I'll helped out who were in a jam,even when I could have easily turned my back.

I try to do the right thing,because it's right. How you personal ""feel"" about me matters not.
    It's when you express those thoughts in the physical realm that I treat you accordingly.

But still......

I drilled with nothing but rednecks. ? would be segregated. White folk are cool when it's convenient or when it benefits them.

Some of biggest ? I've met were in the Army we're black and some the of coolest white

White cats put me on to some things I've otherwise never paid no mind to.Particularly a lot of rock bands that have become some of my favorite music artists over.Even some underground hip hop I slept on

I was out well before Obama was 1st elected, but even then....it was still a sense segregation within the ranks

And you what... that was just fine...because for the most part everyone kept it cordial and missions were still getting accomplished.

But going by what I've heard in the last 8 years from my boys still in who decided make a career out the service....? has changed. The job is still getting done but the "unspoken understanding"....it's gone. Nothing crazy,but theres mad tension in the air. Social media,especially Facebook has had people exposing themselves.

From comments about Trayvon,Ferguson etc.
    to posting blantant racist memes attacking President Obama
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is it possible to have a genuine friendship with someone whose sensibilities are completely different than your own, socially and politically?
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    R0mp wrote: »
    Is it possible to have a genuine friendship with someone whose sensibilities are completely different than your own, socially and politically?

The question is why would you want to?
  • R0mp
    edited October 2016
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »

The question is why would you want to?

I couldn't do it, personally.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    Man you think some white people are in their feelings now just wait and see how they react if trump loses this election

some white guy going around on FB talking about when Trump Loses..He waging a war on Black folks.This aint 1899 we fighting back this time

I don't believe the number of black people willing to fight back is as high as some people think it is.
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kat wrote: »
    Social media has exposed alot of people and their true feelings about ? .

It sucks to find out certain people in your life are not what you thought.

How many of your family members you had to "unfriend" Kathryn?

sqjnf8.jpg

Family? I've only unfriended one, usually go the passive route and unfollow them.
  • R0mp
    Options

It's not impossible,but highly improbable
    The problem comes when there is a complete lack of sympathy,empathy, and understanding,while showing utter contempt,disrespect and indifference.

You can't be "friends" with ANYONE that consistently dismiss & disregards
    your opinions and concerns about (legitimate) issues you feel strongly about

We can disagree and argue all day on HOW we need to get there
    But we can't be in disagreement on the fact we need to get there

I can agree with this. If there's something that doesn't move me at all but is extremely important to you, I wouldn't be an ? without empathy and make little of it, intentionally.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options

@Kat

Only one??

Surprisingly........

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »

It's not racial fears or paranoia. It's just reality. You never know who you're dealing with and what they're hiding. That goes for anyone. Just because I know and am cool with another black person doesn't mean that deep down he doesn't have ill intentions towards me. That kinda thing happens all the time. The problem is then when you deal with someone outside of your race, you have to deal with all that same ? , plus the possibility that they have some racial issues that you don't know about.

If you don't understand that, then you have your head in the sand. I've got white family members and I know they love me and the rest of their "black family members." But if you ask me what they think about BLM, black on black crime, or any of the other racial buzzwords these days, I can't tell you for sure that any of them understand our plight. That's the reality for anyone dealing with someone of another race. I'm not saying you shouldn't have or can't have white friends, but you're a fool if you just take for granted that they understand racial matters the way you do. And if they don't, there is always the chance that one day a major conflict could come out of that disagreement. Race is just that polarizing.
  • RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I has brunch of white friends growin up. They never really said anything out of pocket . we avoid talkin about race we just played spots fix cars and get into ? .
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Kat

Only one??

Surprisingly........

Only cause they family.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Crude_ wrote: »
    I not surprised by any of the things I see out of White people now. Being in the rural south, I grew up around a bunch of Whites.

Most generally will keep it polite and cordial with you; however, when it comes to politics, social injustices, and clearly racially biased things they'll quickly start to reveal how they truly feel about you if you examine their actions close enough.

Social media especially has given any idiot with wifi access and/or a smartphone or other electronic device a platform to voice racist and ignorant rhetoric.

I don't even get mad at them anymore, because I know what to expect. Generally most southern Whites identify as conservative, work blue collar jobs, live in rural areas, identify as Christian, most love to hunt and fish, are lower middle class to poor, and most have bigoted views to anyone who is not like them.

There are some exceptions to the rule but most southern Whites pretty much fit the mold of the abovementioned. Given that regardless of my history with them I have no illusion of how they feel about me. Most would throw my Black rear under the bus in a heartbeat given the right circumstances.

all this is the unadulterated truth