Is Unconditional Love Real?

Options

Comments

• NeighborhoodNomad.
    NeighborhoodNomad. Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    rickmogul wrote: »
    @NeighborhoodNomad. I got one older bro besides my mom's and pops. We've fallen out but always got it right back and I'd say for the past 10 years it's been A1. Different kinda love and respect. A chick or a homie can and will get jealous, set u up, ? on ya dreams, laugh @ ya faults, discourage you, steal from you, lie, cheat etc. My brother would never do that. So that's Y I replied my love 4 a chick or homie would only go so far in general. Older and wiser now.

So unconditional love is reserved for family and the conditions are for everyone else? Because family can do all of the negatives you pointed out too.
  • TigerZord
    TigerZord Members Posts: 6
    Options
    I think it's real. Just a rarity in today's society.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Other
    It's complicated...cuz you can put conditions on how you'll deal with somebody you love but that doesn't necessarily mean the love itself is gone.

You're complicating it Gabi. Even if you put conditions on the way you treat or deal with that person, Love is unconditional by what you just said.

Are you saying the only thing that changes is the way you interact or deal with that person but you'll still love them unconditionally?

I didn't get deep in my response but yes I believe love can be unconditional. But then that raises other points too...
    For example, all love isn't unconditional. But because a certain relationship (romantic, family, friends, etc) isn't doesn't mean the love isn't genuine. Or "true love" like you said in the op.

Also, if you're at a point where you figure you're just gonna love somebody no matter what, my personal condition is that I won't ever be stupid or play myself in order to receive it or give it. Is that conditional or unconditional? I'm not really sure...

Everything you described are conditions/"conditional".

But the conditions are there because ima always love you...
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    NeighborhoodNomad. Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    It's complicated...cuz you can put conditions on how you'll deal with somebody you love but that doesn't necessarily mean the love itself is gone.

You're complicating it Gabi. Even if you put conditions on the way you treat or deal with that person, Love is unconditional by what you just said.

Are you saying the only thing that changes is the way you interact or deal with that person but you'll still love them unconditionally?

I didn't get deep in my response but yes I believe love can be unconditional. But then that raises other points too...
    For example, all love isn't unconditional. But because a certain relationship (romantic, family, friends, etc) isn't doesn't mean the love isn't genuine. Or "true love" like you said in the op.

Also, if you're at a point where you figure you're just gonna love somebody no matter what, my personal condition is that I won't ever be stupid or play myself in order to receive it or give it. Is that conditional or unconditional? I'm not really sure...

But how can there be conditions to unconditional love? If I'm gonna always love you, that's unconditional.
  • BedStuy
    BedStuy Members Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Yeshua is love. Because even when we were yet still sinners, He died for us. Hallelujah!
    Even ? 's Love is conditional.
    Nah man, if this was true then it defeats the purpose to those that believe in his son.
  • MorganFreemanKing
    MorganFreemanKing Members Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    BedStuy wrote: »
    Yeshua is love. Because even when we were yet still sinners, He died for us. Hallelujah!
    Nah man, if this was true then it defeats the purpose to those that believe in his son.

Nah he's saying that believing in His Son is the condition.
  • MorganFreemanKing
    Options
    No
    Is it possible to Love someone or something unconditionally? I mean really unconditionally, meaning there's nothing that that person or thing can do that will ever make you love them or it less, even if it's our children.

Now I don't mean "in love", we all know that can fade, I mean Love Love. Love in all its forms.

If it's True Love, can you ever stop loving that person, and what are/were those conditions?

When it comes to Love, is there a line that can never crossed?

Is unconditional love a real thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm9DgfVi1VE

I believe the nature of relationships are conditions in and of themselves.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Other

But how can there be conditions to unconditional love? If I'm gonna always love you, that's unconditional.

I mean I guess there isn't per se. The conditions are based on how you deal with people you love, not the love itself.

But for sake of convo...say you chose to cut somebody out your life that you love. Is saying you love somebody you don't show love to anymore kinda contradictory?
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    No
    I think It depends on you and your personality.

It's hard for me to say how YOU feel and it's not for me to debate with you on if what you feel is real or not.

• BedStuy
    BedStuy Members Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BedStuy wrote: »

Nah he's saying that believing in His Son is the condition.
    Threw me off a little when he posted a quote from the old testament.
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Once you have kids you will know the difference between unconditional and conditional love.

• jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    Which type of love??

Love is not unconditional....

Circumstances are conditions....in fact the word the word condition is in the definition of circumstance

You have to be a certain type of selfless in order to love somebody unconditionally

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In a finite world there is no forever, never and always.
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    I believe so honestly.

Most people's love is conditional contingent upon whether or not you're doing what they want you to do and following a similar line of thinking, code of morality, etc.

Most folks be ready to hit the road as soon as a S/O or spouse do something like a situation of infidelity.

Whether we want to admit it or not the human ego puts restrictions on what we are willing to deal with.
  • Crude_
    Options
    No
    Even with me admittedly there are certain things I will not tolerate.
  • MorganFreemanKing
    Options
    No
    blacktux wrote: »
    Once you have kids you will know the difference between unconditional and conditional love.

Could you have the same type of love for someone that wasn't your child?
  • MissK
    MissK Members Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Other
    Ether44mag wrote: »

exactly ! I have a couple people that I still love but dont want in my life no more ,because there was ALOT more good bad than bad good and the bad made the relationship change ,but I dont want to see nothing bad happen to them and I still wish em the best

I really don't know anymore but the above quote is how I feel about an ended relationship. Now family yes for me I think it is unconditional. I just think humans mess up so much that unconditional love is a fading concept

• Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Crude_ wrote: »
    I believe so honestly.

Most people's love is conditional contingent upon whether or not you're doing what they want you to do and following a similar line of thinking, code of morality, etc.

Most folks be ready to hit the road as soon as a S/O or spouse do something like a situation of infidelity.

Whether we want to admit it or not the human ego puts restrictions on what we are willing to deal with.

Do you really love someone if you are willing to knowingly betray their trust?

I couldn't love some one unconditionally unless that feeling was mutual.
  • the dukester
    the dukester Members Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    Absolutely not.

As humans we are hardwired to seek pleasure, and avoid pain. Furthermore, we are motivated by our carnal desires for food, and sex.

Love does not fit into that equation.

It's a social--cultural construct that has no basis in human biology. Can we form deep and long-lasting "pair bonds" with our significant others? Absolutely.

But those pair bonds are not "unconditional. "

They're predicated on a ? for tat template that inherently seeks to satisfy the aforementioned mammalian brain desires.

The closest we can get to unconditional "love", is the bond we share with our children. Because we can't have sex with them, our motivations for care, time spent, and sacrifice come from a place of unselfishness.

Perhaps an asterisk should be placed beside "unselfishness." Because even that is predicated on the notion that our offspring will bear us Grandchildren, to continue our genetic legacy.

The closest we will get to immortality.
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    I believe so honestly.

I don't think that takes the love away though bruh, it puts the fire out to a degree, but you'll always love her. I think it just creates a situation where you're putting your heart, personal pride, and possibly health in danger by staying so you can't tolerate it. If my wife cheat today, ? that ? , i'ma still love her though. It just won't be active. I'll feel a way about it if her new ? start puttin his hands on her, even if I don't intervene.

I think there's a difference in unconditional and conditional love when it comes to types of love too. Romantic/in love is more conditional than the love you have for your brother because being in love is a bit stronger and less rooted making it more volatile. And even then, the people you fall in love with always have a spot in your heart, even if they do the most, the further you get away from the pain they cause, the more those feelings restore and while they'll never be close to what they was when the love is in its prime.

It could be a ? that did you the worst and you had love for him. You're not going to exactly be cheering if that person takes a tumble in life. If you find yourself passionate in any direction when someone close to you is goin through it, angry, sad, vindictive, really, really happy or whatever, you probably want that person's love. Why you think so many ? start off beefin and end up bein close homies? they really had love for each other from the jump.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes

“I love those who love me, And those who earnestly seek me do find me".

No it's not. Did He ask you to be created? No. He didn't. He created you because He unconditionally loved you to begin with. Before you ever saw the sun, ? loved you. There were no conditions to your creation.

Now if you want to be in relationship with Him, there are conditions. And the condition is to love Him back. But ? still unconditionally loves you as His creation. But are you His child? Yes, that is the question.

There is a difference Between being His creation and being His child. Amen.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Rahlow wrote: »

“I love those who love me, And those who earnestly seek me do find me".
    exactly what I was gone say before I saw this...

/close thread
    Again, the love of ? being our creator is unconditional. There were no terms of conditions that ? went over with man before we were created.

But again there is a difference in regards to relationship with Him. ? unconditionally loves His creation. Hence, why He created us. But because love is an action word, love demands a choice. Therefore ? has given His creatures a choice to recirpocate the love He first showed us, even when we sinned against Him! His love always initiates! That is why ? is love. The most famous verse in the Bible proves this point!

For ? so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son, that whosoever believes in Him, shall not perish but have everlasting life!
    John 3:16

1. ? so loved the world, meaning He loved the creatures He created (Humans).
    2. There were no conditions that ? made before He created us. He created us because He unconditionally loved us!
    3. Now if you want to be more than just a creation of ? , He has given us a choice.
    4. His unconditional love for the creatures He created, humans, was so great that He gave His only Son to die for our sins so that we can have eternal life!
    5. He never asked us for our input. He did it because ? so loved the world!
    6. Therefore if you want to have a change in relationship with ? , you can FREELY chose to reciprocate that love by responding to it as a free moral agent.
    7. ? gave us the power of choice because Love demands freedom!
    8. Thus we get to decide if we want to love ? in return.
    9. If you do, you will be BORN AGAIN, and no longer will you be just a creation of ? , but you will be called a CHILD OF ? !
    10. Hallelujah!

• ReppinTime
    ReppinTime Members Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Of course, especially the more intimately you know ? . But Im not in love with love I don't just be loving anybody. The people I chose to love I still do regardless of any actions they've chosen.
  • EmM HoLLa.
    EmM HoLLa. Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Lefty_ Pretty much summed it all up..

Just cuz you don't ? with a person anymore doesn't mean the love is gone.. You still love em. Just from a distance..
  • Crude_
    Options
    No
    Peace_79 wrote: »
    I believe so honestly.

Do you really love someone if you are willing to knowingly betray their trust?

I couldn't love some one unconditionally unless that feeling was mutual.

Stuff isn't ever that black and white when dealing with something as complex as human emotions and urges.

No one is ever going to love you the same as you love them. There are to many different nuances that make people tick.

I'm not even going to lie there are some things that tick my wife off that I could careless about and vice versa. We weren't raised the same nor is our physiological the same so how we love won't be either.