New J Dilla Album "Jay Dee's Ma Dukes Collection"

Options
Nah Son
Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2016 in The Reason
Listening to this now and thought there should be a thread on it

"On Friday December 23, a mysterious new compilation of unearthed J Dilla beats appeared on Spotify, Apple Music, and Spotify. Entitled Jay Dee’s Ma Dukes Collection, the tape was released under the entities “Yancey Media Group LLC / Official Ma Dukes / VINTAGE VIBEZ MUSIC GROUP.” Based on that information and the title, the project seems to be curated by J Dilla's mother Ma Dukes, who recently released a children's book based on her late son called The Life Story of James Dewitt Yancey.
This is not the first posthumous release from the prolific producer since he passed away February 10, 2006. Recent J Dilla compilations include The Shining, Dillatronic, and The Diary, among others. Listen to Jay Dee’s Ma Dukes Collection below."

http://www.thefader.com/2016/12/25/j-dilla-jay-dees-ma-dukes-collection

jay-dee-ma-dukes-collection.png

J Dilla - "367"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_wLmay5_UQ

Comments

• escoe
    escoe Members Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Options
    They gotta stop with all this
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    escoe wrote: »

I'm partial to it. There us a lot of completed stuff but a lot more incomplete stuff in the dilla vault. A lot of his close friends will take the incomplete stuff and touch it up a bit and release it, but it's usually pretty low budget and doesn't sound authentic dilla. There have been some gems that have been released though since his death.

I can't imagine the impact dilla would have made on stones throw records if he had lived. Him and madlib brought the best out of eachother and were making music that was so unique and dope. Once dilla died stones throw kind of hit pause and didn't start coming out with more hip hop until 2009ish or 2010.

The new gen on stones throw is very influenced by dilla and madlib though you can tell. They are making great music too.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    More please!!!

And these are basically 'donuts'... all the tracks on this new joint aren't even up to 3 minutes long
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    They dropped a couple rare joints on here I heard only ONCE before in life and never been able to find again till now....and some of them i never heard at all....you can tell somebody holding out though. but this release is good enough for me I appreciate it.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »

I'm partial to it. There us a lot of completed stuff but a lot more incomplete stuff in the dilla vault. A lot of his close friends will take the incomplete stuff and touch it up a bit and release it, but it's usually pretty low budget and doesn't sound authentic dilla. There have been some gems that have been released though since his death.

I can't imagine the impact dilla would have made on stones throw records if he had lived. Him and madlib brought the best out of eachother and were making music that was so unique and dope. Once dilla died stones throw kind of hit pause and didn't start coming out with more hip hop until 2009ish or 2010.

The new gen on stones throw is very influenced by dilla and madlib though you can tell. They are making great music too.

...Knxwledge
  • mosincredible
    mosincredible Members Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I love Dilla's atmospheric beats the most. 764 & 1071 give my ears that classic Dilla sound I love.
  • JonnyRoccIT
    JonnyRoccIT Members Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I liked about 4 beats on here...you can tell when some of his ? is Throwaways.
    That's how a real producer is though, you got 4 mediocre/wack beats for every good beat that never comes to light .
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dwade206 wrote: »
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »

...Knxwledge

and MNDSGN
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I love Dilla's atmospheric beats the most. 764 & 1071 give my ears that classic Dilla sound I love.

lol

i understand man

them ? do something to my mind, like hypnotizing

the homie don't get enough love here though just for the music sake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ2GXGbBFIo
  • mosincredible
    mosincredible Members Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Fosheezy wrote: »

lol

i understand man

This the type of ? I keep on repeat in the crib. So beautiful. That sine bass, hard kicks and snares, chords and then a scattered atmospheric sound on top for the bridge/chorus. Dilla got that ? down pat.
  • Roster Player #99
    Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    wasn't feelin this new project. I mean they are grails by nature, but some producers keep ? in vaults for a reason.
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fosheezy wrote: »

lol

i understand man

? is dope. Reminds me of the "La, La, La" instrumental. Some of his tracks sound like the perfect day.