52 Books In 52 Weeks: Week One Underway Come Join Us! [Start With Old Man And The Sea]

Options

Comments

• Paprika
    Paprika Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's an admirable goal, but it is only realistic if you're reading certain things.

50 or more books a year if you're reading books like this

latest?cb=20131018072815

not books like this

foundations-of-social-theory.jpg

or this

6157.jpg?v=1400097488

With all due respect, FOH b.

Creating excuses is easier than executing your ideals and ambitions.

If you want to read mammoth books on Evolutionary Theory be my guest, otherwise please leave the thread with your distractions.
  • Paprika
    Options
    LordZuko wrote: »
    I suggest you all read this book. It's forecasting the next era, the next fifty to one hundred years.

bgcoeev05l9t.jpg

The Third used electronics and information technology to automate production. Now a Fourth Industrial Revolution is building on the Third. It is characterized by a fusion of technologies that is blurring the lines between the physical, digital, and biological spheres” – Professor Klaus Schwab.

Adding to my list.

Have you checked out The Inevitable by Kevin Kelly?
  • mohamed
    mohamed Members Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The marshmallow test
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ya some super ? real talk.
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Paprika wrote: »
    LordZuko wrote: »
    I suggest you all read this book. It's forecasting the next era, the next fifty to one hundred years.

bgcoeev05l9t.jpg

The Third used electronics and information technology to automate production. Now a Fourth Industrial Revolution is building on the Third. It is characterized by a fusion of technologies that is blurring the lines between the physical, digital, and biological spheres” – Professor Klaus Schwab.

Adding to my list.

Have you checked out The Inevitable by Kevin Kelly?

No but I just read the synopsis added to my pull list
  • Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Paprika wrote: »
    That's an admirable goal, but it is only realistic if you're reading certain things.

50 or more books a year if you're reading books like this

latest?cb=20131018072815

not books like this

foundations-of-social-theory.jpg

or this

6157.jpg?v=1400097488

With all due respect, FOH b.

Creating excuses is easier than executing your ideals and ambitions.

If you want to read mammoth books on Evolutionary Theory be my guest, otherwise please leave the thread with your distractions.

I'm not making excuses, but you seem not to want to acknowledge the obvious, which is that how many books it is possible or realistic to read a week depends in part on which books you're reading.
  • BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not making excuses, but you seem not to want to acknowledge the obvious, which is that how many books it is possible or realistic to read a week depends in part on which books you're reading.

Speed reading would cut that time in half, and either allow you to read more, or honestly say that you read (finished) anything at all. But ? have already resorted to finding fault with speed reading itself instead of their own inabilites.

Only reading one or two words at a time (or worse, actually looking at each word), saying the words in your head as you read (at the speed that you talk, at that), poor reading comprehension, losing your place -- all bad reading habits that most people are never set straight on because we generally read to ourselves, most of the time..

Literacy is one of the many skills people never feel the need to sharpen, many of the reasons why will be expressed here in this thread.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Currently reading a book on emotional intelligrnce
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    working on focusing my mind..

I wander, a lot, I have a hard time focusing and staying interested, even if it's something I enjoy...

gonna stick to reading in 10 min intervals and clear my mind for a few min before each read..

• Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    working on focusing my mind..

I wander, a lot, I have a hard time focusing and staying interested, even if it's something I enjoy...

gonna stick to reading in 10 min intervals and clear my mind for a few min before each read..

Look up the Kaizen method
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kindle solves all
  • Paprika
    Options
    The first week is from January 1st to January 8th.

Still haven't decided what my goal is going to be. More than 2/3rds the way through Revolutionary Suicide and should finish tonight before bed.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't mean to offend anyone but if you're not retainin' information, it's not really speed readin'.

Speed readin' only good for studyin' anyway
  • confucius_says
    confucius_says Members Posts: 111 ✭✭
    Options
    Props to the op's goal. I know for a fact speed reading is not my style. The only time I was able to finish a book in a week is when I took off from my job for a week. I didn't plan anything, just need time for myself. Decided to rent a book from the library. Finished that same week. For me, it is a time issue. I also like to take notes of the characters so I remember who they are. My goal would probably be a new book every 3 weeks. I'm currently studying for my ccna so it would probably be longer. But at the very least, I would be reading.
  • Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TayGettem wrote: »
    Kindle solves all

Real ? don't ? with Kindle, Kobo, Nook, or any other e-reader on the market.

• BEAM
    Options
    Don't mean to offend anyone but if you're not retainin' information, it's not really speed readin'.

Speed readin' only good for studyin' anyway

Tbh, most people aren't very good at reading.

They can read, and I'm sure they read things all the time. But as soon as we bring up one advanced technique, ? start making excuses. If you can't ( yes, can't ) read 50+ books a year, alright; But it's because you're not good enough at reading ( speed, comprehension, memory, etc ) to do so, not for any other reason. It is what it is.

Don't have the time? Learn to speed read, then you'll have the time.
    Can't find anything interesting to read? You're bullshitting, stop it.

Think about how much more you'll know by the end of the year if you read one new book every week.
    You can not want to do that, but there's nothing negative to be said about those that do / can and the techniques they use to do so.
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i dont think it has anything to do with ability to read man. It has more to do with the why.

Why read 52 books unless you can retain the information to the point you can have a deep conversation or write something on the subject.

Better to spend a whole year reading a book that shifts your perspective and changes your life. Took me 4 months to finish "stokely speaks"; and its not because im a slow reader.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if the total amount of words you people go through on the IC and other media could equal up to a lot of books.

Just something to think about.

• atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if the total amount of words you people go through on the IC and other media could equal up to a lot of books.

Just something to think about.

This exact reasoning is what kickstarted me into believing in need to read more. I'd rather forget ? from a good book and take mad long to recall it than be able to rattle off a lot of the dumb ? that I've committed to memory for no reason on here.
  • BEAM
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @blacktux

Nah, the technical element is def there, and we are talking about keeping a certain pace, correct? We've gone from 52 books a year to way less ( one in your suggestion ), why? Because ? are making excuses, and now getting upset that someone who can do what they can't/don't can see thru those excuses..

Interest and intention don't come with the skills necessary to actually read faster and still be able to focus thru the material. We can process info much more swiftly than we're trained to, but unless we're taught/learn to break thru those barriers, excuses will arise when weaknesses are exposed.

If you want to spend an entire year on one book, that's you. But understand, that's you. Others don't need that long and would like to reflect on more material, adjust our lives and persoectives faster..

If you read slow or it takes you longer to get what you need out of a book, then you need a damned good excuse in order to respectfully evade a valid criticism coming from someone who reads more / faster than you. You're not not slow just because you didn't think you were.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    12 books a year, 1 a month is more feasible for me.

Ima up this to 24. 2 a month sounds good.
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I want to start reading again this year. I haven't read a real book in like 5 or 6 years. I just don't know what to read. Anyone got any suggestions?
  • Paprika
    Options
    blacktux wrote: »
    i dont think it has anything to do with ability to read man. It has more to do with the why.

Why read 52 books unless you can retain the information to the point you can have a deep conversation or write something on the subject.

Better to spend a whole year reading a book that shifts your perspective and changes your life. Took me 4 months to finish "stokely speaks"; and its not because im a slow reader.

Staying with this method of thinking will keep you reading one book per four months. There's no progression in that. Now if you keep a book on the side like the Bible that you read in piecemeal along with a main book that's fine.

With this one book you are limiting your knowledge to one source. Just like in research papers, your thesis or argument is as strong as your sources. If you can articulate the Stokely speeches perfectly, but someone brings up Thomas Sankara, Papa Doc, or Meles Zenawi how does Stokely help you understand what they are saying.

With the increase in your ability to read books you don't have to question why should I read 52 books, it's a natural decision. The pursuit of knowledge is a why if you needed one.
  • Paprika
    Options
    Finished Revolutionary Suicide and am on #Girlboss, a pretty interesting and funny read so far. I was reading it during breakfast this morning after my morning papers and went through the first 40 pages.

I'll drop a recommended list of books later tonight after work.