52 Books In 52 Weeks: Week One Underway Come Join Us! [Start With Old Man And The Sea]

Options

Comments

• Paprika
    Paprika Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Paprika wrote: »
    Best thread made.Congrats to TS.I would advice also buying books that teach other languages.Move on to semetic languages that read from left to right to make your brain switch up.Also if the book get´s too heavy stop and read another one and then come back later on.

I'm learning a language on the side as well. I usually go the audio and book method, but decided to switch to book and apps only.

It's worked out well I woke up this morning thinking in German.

Thats cool.Very good man.
    Best thread made.Congrats to TS.I would advice also buying books that teach other languages.Move on to semetic languages that read from left to right to make your brain switch up.Also if the book get´s too heavy stop and read another one and then come back later on.

I'm learning a language on the side as well. I usually go the audio and book method, but decided to switch to book and apps only.

It's worked out well I woke up this morning thinking in German.

Thats cool.Very good man.

Are you learning Hebrew? What is the practicality of Hebrew? Pardon my ignorance.

I was intriged by it because of the conscious community & Khabalah.I want to right books about the subject.I just find the script ´´pretty´´.I also found out that languages that pull the ´´R´´ also estimulate the brain.There´s other stuff too but it´s mostly a spiritual thing I´m not in it to be rich.But I want to learn german too also french and mandarim. Plus you read the right to left so I´m pretty sure that reading ´´backwords´´ estimulates the brain in many ways.

Very ambitious of you, good luck with your studies. As much as I love English, the languages that use symbols as their letters are beautiful.
  • Paprika
    Options
    @Sion
    @Cain
    @Stew

Can I get a sticky for this thread?
  • Paprika
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Sure ill sticky it for a period of time and we'll see how it goes after 2 weeks. I may move or unstick this thread for other threads should they garner more interest.

Respect, appreciate it.
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    There is actually a lot of ? i been wanting to read. as far as book
    Marc lamonts book.
    This book called complicity about the Norths complicity in the slave trade(Been wanting to read this for years)
    Always wanted to read $40 million dollar slave

What i have been reading is a bunch of articles.. Smh i still havent gotten around to reading .. Ta-Nahesi Coates articles on Reparations and Barack.. one has to prepare for Ta-Nehisi.. need to throw on some jazz and just get into it.. but been tryin to do 10 things at once.. surf the net, watch the news and sports

If you're ever in Massachusetts go to the Lawrence Heritage State Park. It's a textile mill museum. Those textile mills didn't exist without cotton and slaves, poor rural women, and immigrants. It was an industry of exploitation.

And yeah' you need to read those pieces by Ta-Nehisi. I think both are on this forum somewhere.
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Screenshot_20170106-131131_zpsbzjmxptz.png

Support my cousin e book through digital download.

$8 dollars. Type the codeword 313 for $4 dollars discount

Click the link to purchase:

http://www.studigroup.com/books/e-book-the-urban-portrait-learning-through-deliberate-traveling

• Paprika
    Options
    How are you guys progressing? Week one ends tomorrow and we are still welcoming new members to join in on the fun.

I plan to finish #Girlboss today and haven't decided my next book, maybe American Gods.
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How are you guys progressing? Week one ends tomorrow and we are still welcoming new members to join in on the fun.

I plan to finish #Girlboss today and haven't decided my next book, maybe American Gods.

Let me know what you think of American Gods if you decide to read it. I was going to read that but ended up reading The Alchemist, which so far has been a great read and anwered many questions that I had within.

Next im thinking of going back and re reading Crime and Punishment. I read it when I was so much younger and it changed my perspective on life. I wanna re read it now to see how much I changed in the years since I read it.
  • mohamed
    mohamed Members Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Currently reading a book on emotional intelligrnce
    What's it called? I'm reading the marshallow test: Mastering self control

It's really good so far

• atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Finishing a nation under our feet, the 1st 4 black panther comics by coates.

Will start go tell it on the mountain by James Baldwin either today or tomorrow.
  • matches malone
    matches malone Members Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    wrapping up Carrie by stephen king
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Just started 50 Shades of Gray
  • Paprika
    Options
    AZTG wrote: »

Let me know what you think of American Gods if you decide to read it. I was going to read that but ended up reading The Alchemist, which so far has been a great read and anwered many questions that I had within.

Next im thinking of going back and re reading Crime and Punishment. I read it when I was so much younger and it changed my perspective on life. I wanna re read it now to see how much I changed in the years since I read it.

Started American Gods this earlier this afternoon and it's decent so far.

I read the Aleph by Cuelo last year and what started as a good idea became pretentious back matter. How is The Alchemist?

Will start go tell it on the mountain by James Baldwin either today or tomorrow.

I saw the Black Panther graphic novel for $8 the other day and passed on it. I've only read a handful of BP comics and they've been average, except DOOMWAR. How is Coates on the book?
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options

I read the Aleph by Cuelo last year and what started as a good idea became pretentious back matter. How is The Alchemist?

I saw the Black Panther graphic novel for $8 the other day and passed on it. I've only read a handful of BP comics and they've been average, except DOOMWAR. How is Coates on the book?

It's pretty dope. It's not the typical hero story where they show him going from ashy to classy...it starts out with BP and his country going through turmoil and many factions coming for his head due to his inept leadership, leading up to an eventual war. It's only the first 4 books tho I wish I had more. You should check it out.
  • Paprika
    Options
    Hey @Sion I think I deleted the OP on the first page. Are you able to get it back?
  • Paprika
    Options

It's pretty dope. It's not the typical hero story where they show him going from ashy to classy...it starts out with BP and his country going through turmoil and many factions coming for his head due to his inept leadership, leading up to an eventual war. It's only the first 4 books tho I wish I had more. You should check it out.

That reminds me of his book during Civil War. I'll check it out first Marvel book I've bought in forever.
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I liked it alot. It felt rushed towards the end. Not gonna be my favorite book or anything but its a dope read if you need motivation
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This week I will be reading " The familiar" vol.1 by Mark Z. Danielewski. He also wrote a very experimental book titled "the house of leaves" if you want a truly different reading experience read that ? . Make sure you get the physical book tho... because I don't think a digital version can replicate the experience of reading "the house of leaves" with the physical book in your hand. I read it years ago and can only hope that "the familiar" is as good.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I will also hopefully if I have enough time be starting the first volume of absolute sandman.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I love this thread. I usually average about 25-30 books per year. The books are of a variety of subjects and lengths. I'm reading Darwin's Origin of Species right now. I should finish it in two more weeks.

I cosign many of the opinions in this thread. What reading has taught me beyond the individual subject of the book is that the subjects are all linked. History is linked to politics, which is linked to economics, which is linked to philosophy, etc. So the individual pursuit of knowledge is like Alice going down the rabbit hole.

Paulo Coelho's books are incredible, "The Alchemist" is a good read to start with. "The Zahir" is my favorite of his though. For those seeking to learn another language you should consider using Rosetta Stone. It really helped me with my French & Portuguese.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    detcatinva wrote: »
    Screenshot_20170106-131131_zpsbzjmxptz.png

Support my cousin e book through digital download.

$8 dollars. Type the codeword 313 for $4 dollars discount

Click the link to purchase:

http://www.studigroup.com/books/e-book-the-urban-portrait-learning-through-deliberate-traveling

My cousin dropped a book last year. It's a relationship book. I never read it but she got a good review from it

qb188rcis0bj.png
  • Paprika
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    This week I will be reading " The familiar" vol.1 by Mark Z. Danielewski. He also wrote a very experimental book titled "the house of leaves" if you want a truly different reading experience read that ? . Make sure you get the physical book tho... because I don't think a digital version can replicate the experience of reading "the house of leaves" with the physical book in your hand. I read it years ago and can only hope that "the familiar" is as good.

Woah I read the summary for House of Leaves and I'm excited to read it. I'll add it for next week's set of books.
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    I love this thread. I usually average about 25-30 books per year. The books are of a variety of subjects and lengths. I'm reading Darwin's Origin of Species right now. I should finish it in two more weeks.

I cosign many of the opinions in this thread. What reading has taught me beyond the individual subject of the book is that the subjects are all linked. History is linked to politics, which is linked to economics, which is linked to philosophy, etc. So the individual pursuit of knowledge is like Alice going down the rabbit hole.

Paulo Coelho's books are incredible, "The Alchemist" is a good read to start with. "The Zahir" is my favorite of his though. For those seeking to learn another language you should consider using Rosetta Stone. It really helped me with my French & Portuguese.

One of the required reads for mankind is Origin of Species. That along with The Selfish Gene give a great understanding to life and the rules. There was a book about Mendel that was good, I'll have to check when I get home.

Good to see you in here, agree with pursuit of knowledge. Have you learned a language through Rosetta Stone?
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    This book is freaky
  • SuperSoaker
    SuperSoaker Members Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Finished my first book of the year. I read "Alexander Hamilton" by Ron Chernow. The hype about that man is real, I'd definetly recommend it, best biography I've ever read.

Cliff notes- dude was an immigrant, who came to America at the beginning of the revolution. Wrote and fought his way to become Washingtons right hand man, (some would say he was smarter, and had more influence on the way the government was eventually formed than Washington)

I believe he was the only founding father that was an abolitionist. Spoke out against slaverly and was part of societies that wanted to get rid of slavery.

First treasury secretary, part of Americas first major sex scandal. Most impressive was his writing, whether he was defending the constitution, or slamming his political opponents via essays. Dude was ether with the pen.

Died in a duel with the Vice President of the United States.

I think what impressed me most was that he didn't believe America was some godsend country that was perfect. He felt that human nature wasn't always good and that America should learn from many other great nationsl from the time or nations in history. And he got ? about that perspective at the time from the people who thought America was some miracle gift to history lol

5/5 stars
  • Reigns
    Reigns Members Posts: 305 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just finished old man and the sea. Good book. Took some literal interpretation about luck and perseverance. Starting: The One Thing.
  • Paprika
    Options
    Book is so damn big lol.

But I'm almost finished American Gods, reading End Of Watch l on the side as I didn't finish it last year.

Good to see that you guys are progressing. Do you find the spreadsheet helpful? Are there any things you would like me to add that would help smooth your experience?