52 Books In 52 Weeks: Week One Underway Come Join Us! [Start With Old Man And The Sea]

Options

Comments

• JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Finished my first book of the year. I read "Alexander Hamilton" by Ron Chernow. The hype about that man is real, I'd definetly recommend it, best biography I've ever read.

Cliff notes- dude was an immigrant, who came to America at the beginning of the revolution. Wrote and fought his way to become Washingtons right hand man, (some would say he was smarter, and had more influence on the way the government was eventually formed than Washington)

I believe he was the only founding father that was an abolitionist. Spoke out against slaverly and was part of societies that wanted to get rid of slavery.

First treasury secretary, part of Americas first major sex scandal. Most impressive was his writing, whether he was defending the constitution, or slamming his political opponents via essays. Dude was ether with the pen.

Died in a duel with the Vice President of the United States.

I think what impressed me most was that he didn't believe America was some godsend country that was perfect. He felt that human nature wasn't always good and that America should learn from many other great nationsl from the time or nations in history. And he got ? about that perspective at the time from the people who thought America was some miracle gift to history lol

5/5 stars

Wasn't Alexander Hamilton from Nevis?
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Halfway through war and peace. School started this week so I naturally had to slow down a bit.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AZTG wrote: »
    Halfway through war and peace. School started this week so I naturally had to slow down a bit.

This post is so sad. The truth that school can distract from the pursuit of independent study is outrageous to me.
  • jniam
    jniam Members Posts: 623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm shooting more so for 3 books every 4-5 weeks. Looking to total about 30-35 by the end of the year.

Morning Reads: Scripture and devotional material, then the WSJ.
    Evening Read: A book of my choosing.

I want to rotate my books like this: 1 business book, 1 politics book, 1 novel, 1 history/politics book.
  • matches malone
    matches malone Members Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just started 50 Shades of Gray

you ? ass ? you
  • Paprika
    Paprika Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've decide we have enough participants in this thread for a giveaway. The first giveaway will be an e-book of the winner's choice. I'm gonna see if I can get some signed editions later in the year.

Details coming shortly.
  • Paprika
    Options
    I also finished End Of Watch, a decent end to the Mr. Mercedes trilogy. I don't understand why King still uses the N word in his books.

And American Gods is worth the read, the concepts aren't new but the execution and smooth writing earns the book it's praise.
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Paprika wrote: »
    I also finished End Of Watch, a decent end to the Mr. Mercedes trilogy. I don't understand why King still uses the N word in his books.

And American Gods is worth the read, the concepts aren't new but the execution and smooth writing earns the book it's praise.

Im gonna start american gods today. Been wanting to read it.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Just started 50 Shades of Gray

you ? ass ? you

Nothing wrong with exploring your sexuality
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm currently reading the Foundation trilogy by Isaac Asimov
  • Paprika
    Options
    I wouldn't actually read the Shades of Gray series but it has some funny lines.

“My subconscious looks on with approval, her normally pursed mouth smiling, and I am the supreme puppet master.”

"The elevator reached terminal velocity."

“His voice is warm and husky like dark melted chocolate fudge caramel… or something.”
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options

“My subconscious looks on with approval, her normally pursed mouth smiling, and I am the supreme puppet master.”

“His voice is warm and husky like dark melted chocolate fudge caramel… or something.”

Certain parts of that book got me waxing myself
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is horrible horrible writing
  • Paprika
    Options
    LordZuko wrote: »

This is horrible horrible writing

When I read some of these lines when the book came out I was crying. One of the best selling series of our lifetime too, a shame. These housewives and old paste gotta read something though.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Got the ta-nehisi coates black panther trades 5-9. Gonna read those next.
  • Paprika
    Options
    Gonna start All The Light We Cannot See. Bought it when it came out but never touched it, one of the book designs I've ever seen.

I'll finish the week off with either Einstein's Relativity or Asimov's Nemesis.

Picked up the Panther trade but haven't read them yet.
  • Paprika
    Options
    We are on week three if anyone is unclear of the week. Can't change the thread title without messing up the thread.

For newcomers, this week's get started book is The Gambler by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options
    Starting on The Notebook now
  • Knock_Twice
    Knock_Twice Members Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man does anyone know where I can read the book "The ? that Sat By the Door"?

My library don't even have this ? ...

• Paprika
    Options

http://bookzz.org/s/?q=The+? +that+Sat+By+the+Door&yearFrom=&yearTo=&language=&extension=&t=0

You can read it online or grab the PDF

• Knock_Twice
    Knock_Twice Members Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

http://bookzz.org/s/?q=The+? +that+Sat+By+the+Door&yearFrom=&yearTo=&language=&extension=&t=0

You can read it online or grab the PDF

Appreciate it fam

Read that the U.S. gov't banned this book and movie...

A lot of actors were black-balled in Hollywood and the author of the book had to get rid of all the copies to this book but he kept 2.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Just renewed my library card after not having one for a few years. I'm back in this ?

SuccessKid.jpg
  • Paprika
    Options
    I'm updating this thread tomorrow once the site is finished with its upgrades. Giveaway details and entries, more recommended books and progress updates.
  • Brian B.
    Brian B. Members Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Been on a Donald Goines binge lately

"Dopefiend", "Whoreson", "Black Gangster" & jus finished "Street Players"

bout to start "White Man's Justice, Black Man's Grief"

also finishing up "The Power Of Now" by Eckhart Tolle
  • Brian B.
    Brian B. Members Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    & jus to add, the dictionary is by far my favorite book lol